PDA

View Full Version : what were Sonny Cumbie's impressions of MJ and Gilmer

nutcrackin
12-15-2004, 03:58 PM
PRINT THIS STORY | E-MAIL THIS STORY

Tech's Cumbie watches Snyder history
By Joshua Parrott
December 11, 2004

For the past five years, Sonny Cumbie has studied the past and how it affects the world as a history major at Texas Tech University.

Barring the unforeseen, Cumbie could witness some firsthand history that hits close to home today as Snyder High School, his alma mater, plays Gilmer in a Class 3A Division II state semifinal football playoff game at Texas Stadium.

Before this season, the Tigers never advanced past the third round of the playoffs.

''As long as nothing comes up, I'm planning on going down to Texas Stadium to see them (Snyder) beat a good Gilmer team and keep making history,'' said Cumbie, a 2000 Snyder graduate who led the nation with 4,222 passing yards this season for the Red Raiders.

For the most part, Cumbie has witnessed Snyder's success from afar but has attended four games this season, including the Tigers' nail-biting 21-20 win over District 4-3A rival Sweetwater last week in the state quarterfinals.

Cumbie wasn't able to enjoy similar postseason success during his Snyder career. The Tigers reached the playoffs his sophomore, junior and senior seasons but lost in the first round of the playoffs each year.

In a way, Cumbie - like many in the Big Country - has been pulling for the underdog.

''They're always more excited to be out there playing,'' Cumbie said. ''I think that has to do with their coaching. They've been really fun and exciting to watch. They're making the entire Snyder community proud.

''They're something to watch because they are a great team and play together. It's just fun to watch your hometown team play well.''

Cumbie has seen the Tigers at their best - a regular-season win over Levelland and playoff victories over Muleshoe and Sweetwater - and at their worst - a regular-season loss to Sweetwater.

But a much different team emerged since that regular-season loss to Sweetwater on Oct. 15: Snyder has won six consecutive games in a myriad of ways.

Comeback wins. The Tigers trailed 27-20 to Merkel entering the fourth quarter before Snyder scored 10 unanswered points in the final period to earn the win. Wylie had the Tigers down 23-6 at halftime, but Snyder scored three touchdowns in the second half to keep its dream for a district title alive.
The will to win never faded in either game, and expect more of the same today against Gilmer.

Close wins. Last week, the Tigers were tied at 14 entering the fourth quarter against Sweetwater before holding on for a narrow 21-20 win over the Mustangs.

Solid wins. The first three weeks of the playoffs ended with convincing victories for Snyder. The Tigers out-scored Midland Greenwood, Muleshoe and Iowa Park 82-26 behind the solid running of Dee Walker and Chad Brown, the timely passing of Matt Reigh and a stingy defense that has improved with each passing week.
''Every time I see them play they get better and better,'' Cumbie said. ''They're playing their best football at the right time.''

Hopefully, just in time to continue making history.

Contact sports writer Joshua Parrott at parrottj@reporternews.com or (325) 676-6711.

CRHSeagle
12-15-2004, 04:55 PM
He was on the same HS team as Matt Grimmit (sp?) whos mother was the coach of our girls volleyball team at Castleberry.

shackina
12-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I THINK Matthew graduated in 01. I think the may have been on the same team for 1 year?? I did not get into Snyder Football until '00.

Matthew328
12-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Cumbie was a senior on the 1999 Snyder team that lost to Everman in bi-district..I think Grimmet was a junior

lobo12
12-15-2004, 09:02 PM
they werent very good that year were they, i think we beat them like 49-0 but i could be wrong

wildstangs
12-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Snyder won the district that year. As usual, no one thought they would be any good,but Cumbie led them to a pretty good season. After they won district everyone thought they would be pretty succesful in the playoffs but Everman knocked them off in round one.

Is Grimmett still on the TCU roster?