PDA

View Full Version : Somebody is Running for Governor

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Strayhorn seeks $3,000 raise for teachers
Proposal is part of $1 billion reform package By Jason Embry

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn plans to announce today that she is calling for a $3,000 raise for every public school teacher in Texas.

The proposed raises are part of a package of education proposals estimated that will cost $1 billion, said an official with the Association of Texas Professional Educators. Members of that and other teachers groups met with Strayhorn this morning.

Strayhorn also wants a state law that guarantees automatic raises for teachers every two years, a $2,500 bonus for teachers at schools that raise their accountability ratings from academically unacceptable to acceptable or better, and state-funded stipends for teachers who mentor other teachers. She planned to announce the proposals at an 11:30 news conference.

Teachers received a $3,000 across-the-board raise in 1999, signed into law by then-Gov. George W. Bush.

In the 2001 legislative session, teachers did not fare as well. A state reimbursement to pay for teachers' health insurance was reduced in most cases from $1,000 to $500 a year.

Last month, a group of business leaders who advise Gov. Rick Perry called for changes to teachers' salary scales that would move away from basing pay on seniority and put more emphasis on performance.

Phantom Stang
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
And your point is....?

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
No Point
Just an observation that most politicians will say and do what they think gives em the best chance to get elected

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Not sure what to think about her as she was the comptroller when Texas ran out of money (two years ago) and she acted shocked. Humm, I better stop now, because we are not supposed to put political stuff on here.

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Yep
kind of have to make up your own mind here
Makes ya wonder, while I am all for teachers gettin paid more
you have to wonder what the motivation
is

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Yep
kind of have to make up your own mind here
Makes ya wonder, while I am all for teachers gettin paid more
you have to wonder what the motivation
is i would hope its to better our schools in the future...i know 3 grand isnt that much of a raise when you break it down, but its a start. plus it will give teachers more of a reason to do better.

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 04:39 PM
We can always hope for the best
Bull Frog Alumi
Thanks for your service to Texas and the Rest of the U.S.
you are a true hero, as are all of our service men and women