PDA

View Full Version : Retired Austin Police officer and wife DEAD

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 01:43 PM
A retired Austin police detective and his wife, a commander, had blood alcohol levels far above the legal limit to drive before they died in a motorcycle crash Saturday, according to preliminary toxicology results by the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office.

Kurt Jacobson, who retired from the Austin Police Department as a detective in 2002, was driving his Harley-Davidson with a blood alcohol level of 0.24 — three times the state limit of 0.08 — said Medical Examiner Roberto Bayardo. Cmdr. Shauna Jacobson had a blood alcohol level of 0.33, or more than four times the legal limit, Bayardo said.

Bayardo said the test showed no trace of drugs. He said he doesn't expect the blood alcohol results to be different when the final report is finished. His office said final toxicology results typically take 21 days to complete.

The Jacobsons had been participating in a charity ride with dozens of other officers to benefit a police victims assistance counselor who had multiple sclerosis. The last stop on the charity ride was at Cedars Bar and Grill on Texas 71 in Spicewood.

Kurt Jacobson drove his motorcycle into the crowded restaurant and spun his rear wheel until it created enough smoke to clear out the restaurant, said owner Bobby Joe Bailey.

Two hours later, the couple was dead after their motorcycle crashed into a guardrail less than a mile east of the restaurant, which is near Bee Creek in western Travis County.

CheerMom
12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
How terribly tragic!!:(

Bubba-Joe
12-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Bad deal.
For those of us who ride, this hurts the good we do, Hope the rest of this group learns a lesson
Keeping a good thought for the friends and family of this couple

onfirebball05mustang
12-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Yessir, Bubba Joe, that's what I was just gettin ready to post.
My dad was a good friend of the Jacobsons, back when Kurt worked for Travis County Sheriff's office and had his first wife. They were a great couple, and it's sad to hear about them after their tragic death. The fact that they were riding on that road at that time of day was a recipe for disaster. The sun sets on a hill right where that road curves, and if you don't know it, it can be quite dangerous. My prayers definitely go out to their son, now about 21, and the rest of their family.