PDA

View Full Version : The Leon & Lymelight Morning Show Dec. 15, 2004 32 Degrees out.....chopping wood

cunbed10
12-15-2004, 08:10 AM
This is Leon, Just got back from chopping some wood for my folks, and Man it's cold. Good Morning, I'm your host Leon and this is the word of the day.Cold , Cold Cold .Growing up did anyone besides my self have to chop wood for the wood stove? My folks cook's on this stove, and once it's red hot, it can heat up a large room. Give the morning show a shout-out and let me know if you grew up with a wood stove.

marlin fan
12-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Hey leon just wanna give a shout out to my Bulldogs and to LHPathermom for winning most spirited poster of the year!!!

Hupernikomen
12-15-2004, 09:45 AM
no wood stove, but we used a fireplace a lot. So I chopped a lot of wood. Figured out to start swinging fast and it wasn't long until you could take the jacket off.

JasperDog94
12-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I'll be choppin' some lighter pine tomorrow. I'm glad that it's finally warm enough to have a fire.

On another note, it's nice to sit by a warm fire with your sweetie.:thinking: :thinking: :devil:

PurpleFreddy
12-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey Leon. I sure did!
We had a Fisher "Grandaddy" wood stove and another wood-burning stove with a fan attached on the other side of the house.

Dad would drag my butt to the oak bottoms to cut wood on Saturdays ... and we also went to a nearby saw mill to pile up a trailer load of cutoffs (great for starting fires).

We had a maul with a handle that was iron (the wooden ones kept breaking) ... as well as a couple of wedges to bust the big pieces. I used a wheelbarrow to haul wood to the back porch.

We finally convinced dad that if he just hauled the cut trees with his tractor to the backyard and cut them there we wouldn't be bogging down the trailer so much in the woods.

Jeremiah Trotter, who played his high school ball at nearby Hooks (back when it was 3A), and all his sisters did a lot of wood chopping to earn money. His dad was a logger and actually died in the woods from a heart attack the spring that Jeremiah was drafted by the Eagles. Ironically, Jeremiah played at SFA ... the Lumberjacks!

JasperDog94
12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
... Jeremiah played at SFA ... the Lumberjacks! I remember watching him play. He tended to have injury problems, but man, when he was on, he was almost unstopable.

Hupernikomen
12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Jeremiah wore those black shoes and would knock you out of your cleats. He was blazing fast and brought the lumber (to stay with our theme).

cunbed10
12-15-2004, 10:14 AM
My dad always wanted me to hit the log with one hit, and split the log with one big hit, like him, it took a while, but I mastered it. If the wood had ice in, or frozen, it was always difficult. I hated gathering scraps to start fires with, you know the small pieces of wood.

CheerMom
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Good Morning from "The Swamp"!! Didn't grow up with a wood stove, we had a fireplace that got plenty of use. I love wood stoves, though.

onfirebball05mustang
12-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Good Morning all from Manor!! No wood stove...the grandparents have a fireplace...man i love that thing!

District303aPastPlayer
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
uhh...we have heaters... Good morning everyone