PDA

View Full Version : All in all--did your home team beat or meet your expectations?

Old Cardinal
12-15-2004, 05:57 AM
I really have three teams that I follow closely. Therefore a few comments:

Orangefield--The Bobcats fell on hard times this year. After a strong finish last year they fell victim to a heavy graduation and just had to tough it out this season.
WO-S--With high expectations the Mustangs played an erratic season. Losing by 2 points to the now State Finalist was their first disappointment. They had some great winning games during the year but a tie and squeak overtime win over Bridge City and a first-round upset loss to a good Huffman-Hargrave team kind of ended their season on a down note.
Bridge City--A lot of folks thought BC would lose all 5 of their preseason games because of just a few Seniors playing and a challenging schedule. Instead they prospered beating the Kirbyville team handily that beat Jasper in a big win later. In fact, they played Jasper a 35-10 ballgame lose; but that was good to see how you fare against a State Finalist. They were of course inconsistant with such a young team but they had their moments in the sun a few times in the 2004 season.

TELL US HOW YOUR TEAM FARED THIS YEAR IN YOUR OPINION.....

Port_town_texas
12-15-2004, 06:30 AM
well after winning the district we just sucked, and not the team--it was the coaching and play-calling that fell off BIG TIME at the most crucial moment in the season: the playoffs.

but just read the signature at the bottom.

"You WILL remember the Titans!"

cunbed10
12-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Marlin exceeded my expectations, by winning 12 Games, and playing 14 in all, just goes to show that winning is contageous.

GUNHO
12-15-2004, 08:53 AM
We (wo-s ) finished the regular season 8-2.Thats about where I thought we would be.The first round loss in the playoffs was a bummer but not a shock.At the first of the season I thought we were going to do real well in the playoffs but as the season went on I could see that we did not have the defenes that it would take to carry us far in the playoffs.To be honest,my expectations were far above from where we finished.

jason
12-15-2004, 08:56 AM
i think things turned out like people expected for my forney jackrabbits...they struggled early with their TOUGH pre-district schedule, but went on a 2 game win streak winning their homecoming and first district game. they came up one win short of making the playoffs, essentially their first playoff game was against highland park in week 10 of the regular season. They finished their season at 3-7, but played one of the toughest schedules in the state and is in one of the toughest 4a districts. The good thing is, they have quite a bit coming back....

...great programs dont rebuild, they reload...

onfirebball05mustang
12-15-2004, 12:20 PM
i'd have to say (sadly) that Manor met my expectations this year. We got the ranking, our heads got big, we went downhill....well, more like jumped off a cliff. I'm not saying we didn't have the talent...we've got plenty of that...it's just that after hearing our ranking, trying to spend more than a week at no. 1, our guys were seen as the ones to beat and be proved unworthy. Other teams did it. We had a good season overall, I guess, we'll just have to see next year!

44INAROW
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
I think going to the final game down to the final 4 ticks of the clock is 2nd only to winning the Championship. Thanks for the ride guys.. If anyone is smart enough to make it smaller, please do.. I tried :)
[IMG]http://img148.exs.cx/img148/3144/gobblertrophies9to.jpg

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Lake worth met my expectations, i was hoping they would have made the playoffs, but were only out by a few. they went 5-5. which is an improvement from last years 3-7. i think they will continue to build on the success they had this year and have a potential playoff spot next season.

lobo12
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
go ahead and blame the coaches, im sure it had nothing to do with the execution of the plays

big daddy russ
12-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Ingleside exceeded my expectations tremendously. I can't say enough about the kids and the new coaching staff... that gave us something to look forward to. If any of you are reading this post, thanks for an awesome year.

District303aPastPlayer
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Sinton: well, to start off the year with a big win... and then to lose to Cuero twice and GP once, id say we did alright. Going to the Regional Finals was about what i expected.... We have a strong talent base coming back, so i look for great things next year too

Bellville22
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Bellville surpassed many expectations. I predicted the Brahmas to finish 4th in district and miss the playoffs. Bellville proved me wrong by going on to win district. After starting 0-3, the Bulls went 6-1 the rest of the season, and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs for a 7-5 record.

44INAROW
12-15-2004, 12:59 PM

BIGGBROTHER
12-15-2004, 01:05 PM
The mighty hippos met all expectations for what they where given
being a very young team with alot of things not going their way
they did the best that could be expected
and im not saying they could not improve
or that the teams that won were less

hippos return losing only 6 seniors and gaining alot of talent
provided the kids still want to play

anyway congratulation to all the players who never gave up
congratulations to all the champions
see yall next year

AND WATCH OUT
HERE COME THE HIPPOS THE MIGHTY MIGHTY HIPPOS
OOH AAAH OOOOH AAHHH

Macarthur
12-15-2004, 01:09 PM
As an IP Hawk fan I have a difficult time answering that one. There's no question that the Hawks had a great season. Going into the season, I thought the Hawks would battle Vernon for runner-up in district. I felt Graham would win the district. I thought the Hawks had a good chance to win a game or two in the playoffs, but probably not beyond that. I suppose I have to break it out into 3 seasons:

Pre-district - There certainly exceeded expectations going 5-0. They whipped WFHS & Gainesville which lead me into having higher expectations going into district.

District - After going 5-0 in pre-district, they certainly were probably the favorite going into district play. While they did win the district championship, they had a really disappointing loss to Vernon that was clearly the worst game they played all year. Finished 9-1, which was outstanding considering the schedule they played.

Playoffs - After going 9-1, with the tough schedule they played, I really thought they were the best team in Region 1. I thought it would be IP and Sweetwater in the Regional finals. Snyder ended up winning the Region.

While going 11-2 is clearly a very successful season, I believe the IP team was much better than most of us expected at the beginning of the season. Therefore, I was a bit disappointed that the season ended prior to the Regional finals. All in all, I am very proud of the Hawks this year.

And by the way, if IP gets solid QB play next year (Swenson is going to be hard to replace), they have a chance to be a better team next year.

AggieJohn
12-15-2004, 01:13 PM
basically any liberty team that makes it past the first round exceeds my expectations

Jody
12-15-2004, 01:42 PM
After now having watched most of the good football teams that Barbers Hill would have faced, I can say injuries really hurt us this year. The BH team of 2004 should have easily made it 3 rounds, if not to the State dance. I am almost certain a healthy BH is capable of beating Jasper, but I am not sure about Gilmer.

Our problem is not talent, it is leadership and coaching. I think we could learn a lot about team effort and leadership from a team and coaching staff like Liberty Hill has.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-15-2004, 05:06 PM
We wont have met my expectations untill we win saturday. You are not coached and taught to be satisfied with second place. I'll give you a better answer on late saturday night.

ALLSPORTSGUY
12-15-2004, 05:10 PM

Jody
12-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
We wont have met my expectations untill we win saturday. You are not coached and taught to be satisfied with second place. I'll give you a better answer on late saturday night.

Should I go ahead and respond for you now? :D :D :D

Old Cardinal
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
I kind of threw this thread out as a lark; the board was getting quite. In reflecting on the comments from around the state it is amazing how much we have all learned about 3A football from this 3A DL site. I hope folks from a few more teams across TX will also respond.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-15-2004, 09:15 PM
lol....sure Jody....go ahead...work your magic.

LH Panther Mom
12-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Well, Old Card, as a fan, I have to say our team surpassed my expectations, although I'm sure our players would tell you they did not live up to their own.

In regular season, the only disappointment for the team was not winning the district trophy. In hindsight, I'm sure the thrill of coming within 1 ft & a 2-pt conversion from playing for the state championship in some ways makes up for that.

I don't believe that anyone would've dreamed that the small town of Liberty Hill would have the offensive attack to earn them 5th rank in the nation for all time.

gobbler grad
12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I think going to the final game down to the final 4 ticks of the clock is 2nd only to winning the Championship. Thanks for the ride guys.. If anyone is smart enough to make it smaller, please do.. I tried :)
[IMG]http://img148.exs.cx/img148/3144/gobblertrophies9to.jpg

those big trophies will look good in that new school...

GO MEAN GREEN--------THE TRADITION CONTINUES...:clap:

htowntransplant
12-16-2004, 01:00 AM
well i have to go 4A with this bc thats where i graduated from....Lamar Consolidated exceeded my expectations. We actually won a game! (2 games actually), but our offense was surprisingly decent, especially against bay city. vour defense must improve if we are going to compete against the likes of foster, bay city, bf terry, and el campo.

Mustang '89
12-16-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
i'd have to say (sadly) that Manor met my expectations this year. We got the ranking, our heads got big, we went downhill....well, more like jumped off a cliff. I'm not saying we didn't have the talent...we've got plenty of that...it's just that after hearing our ranking, trying to spend more than a week at no. 1, our guys were seen as the ones to beat and be proved unworthy. Other teams did it. We had a good season overall, I guess, we'll just have to see next year!

"A GOOD SEASON???" I hate to see what you call a bad season. I also see that you have very low expectations. Are you sure you're from Manor?:) :) :)

Bullaholic
12-16-2004, 04:03 AM
The Bulls this year were truly a "rags to riches" team. They were 0-5 in non-district , and 3-7 overall---made the playoffs and went 2-deep with a team nobody expected to be there. To say they exceeded our wildest expectations from the early part of the season, would be an understatement. Those that have ever been to a Bull football game will tell you that they never come away bored. To paraphrase Forrest Gump--The Bulls are like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're going to get. We are so very proud of our 04' Bulls and can't wait for an even better '05 season with the majority of our starters returning. I invite you all to share in the fun and excitement of a Bulls football game with your attendance anytime. I promise you won't be disappointed. Go Bulls!

Jody
12-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
lol....sure Jody....go ahead...work your magic.

Being the Jasper fan that I am.....:D I would say we just did not do it this year. Had it not been for all those teams sending their 8th grade teams to play us, we may have only won one game. I am just real glad West Orange Stark is in our neck of the woods, or we may not have had anyone we can whip-up on this year.

How is that one? :D

44INAROW
12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Gobbler Grad, Crabman and I (along with others who read but don't post :) were at our Booster Club meeting last night and it was a moving experience (at least for me) WE ARE ALL SO PROUD to be GOBBLER FANS.. GO MEAN GREEN.

Jody
12-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Gobbler Grad, Crabman and I (along with others who read but don't post :) were at our Booster Club meeting last night and it was a moving experience (at least for me) WE ARE ALL SO PROUD to be GOBBLER FANS.. GO MEAN GREEN.

What else is there to do in Cuero? Might as well watch football.:D

44INAROW
12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jody
What else is there to do in Cuero? Might as well watch football.:D
I lived on Garth Road in Baytown - spent alot of time in your neck of the woods.. I'll take CUERO anyday of the week :)..........

Jody
12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
I lived on Garth Road in Baytown - spent alot of time in your neck of the woods.. I'll take CUERO anyday of the week :)..........

Traffic sucks on Garth, doesn't it? I used to live in Victoria, but I was raised and currently live in Barbers Hill. I really like that Halletsville/Cuero area. Some darn fine deer hunting around Victoria and Refugio. Nice looking women as well. :clap:

44INAROW
12-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Jody
Traffic sucks on Garth, doesn't it? I used to live in Victoria, but I was raised and currently live in Barbers Hill. I really like that Halletsville/Cuero area. Some darn fine deer hunting around Victoria and Refugio. Nice looking women as well. :clap:

When we lived there in 1976 - the area on the left of IH 10 kinda where Cracker Barrell is and on the other side where the big mall is.. That was all WOODS... I can remember driving down Garth driving under the underpass @ IH 10 to go pay my phone bill.. there was a phone company out there and it seemed like it was WAY out there lol.......... it has grown up alot in that area......

RBARKER
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Barbers Hill met my exspectations I'm gettting used to two rounds and out:D BH will have to do some major re adjusments if they ever want to get the jinx off their back. BH has a heck of a Soph, class and I exspect a deep run from the eagles the next two years. One of those years could be in 4a.

Hupernikomen
12-16-2004, 01:32 PM
gosh that is the same two things I have been hearing about BH for the last 7 years...

Watch out we have a great bunch of sophomores...
It could be 4A for us in the next alignment...

Cat22
12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey OC, I follow the same three teams you mentioned and agree with your assessment of each team.

In Orangefield, I thought before the season that we could go 5-5, but thought 4-6 would be about how we would finish. I never thought that we would go 0-10. The loss of a large senior class hurt us more than I thought it would, not to mention the loss of our head coach so late in the offseason. We did get alot of younger kids some much needed playing time this year, so we should be alot better next year. Hopefully we will be in the hunt for a playoff spot again next year.

RBARKER
12-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
gosh that is the same two things I have been hearing about BH for the last 7 years...

Watch out we have a great bunch of sophomores...
It could be 4A for us in the next alignment...

If someone would offer Skidmore a job BH will make it true:D

j_dog
12-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Barbers Hill met my exspectations I'm gettting used to two rounds and out:D .....
I bet teams like Lumberton would love to trade places with you! :D

Are you coming with Jody on Saturday? :)

LALK
12-16-2004, 07:28 PM
my team met my expectations...i expected them to win state all year...even after a tremendous loss to decatur...my expectations for them was nothing short of a state championship ring...congrats to the wylie bulldogs and good luck next year

CRHSeagle
12-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Although we had a losing record, Castleberry did okay with a new coach. Everyone thought that we would be at the bottom of the district. We finished in 4th place behind Little Elm, Bridgport and Decatur. We played horrible against Little Elm, and it still bothers me today. We lost to B-port in the final minutes. We were only 10 yards away from a victory. Too bad for us seniors who are leaving. Next year should be so bad. Alot of starters are coming back and I think we can contend for a playoff spot next year.