PDA

View Full Version : Computer Guru's

Rabbit'93
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Where or What is the best product to buy that has virus protection, email scanning, spyware & adware remover, as well as firewall protection. I've got several different programs but I would like one interface that I could control everything. Any ideas?:confused:

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Where or What is the best product to buy that has virus protection, email scanning, spyware & adware remover, as well as firewall protection. I've got several different programs but I would like one interface that I could control everything. Any ideas?:confused:

Wow if that program could do laundry as too i'd buy it

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 10:06 PM
We use the spyware at the schools.

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Mc Afee has a bundled program for something like that but it IS pretty intrusive.

Rabbit'93
12-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Mc Afee has a bundled program for something like that but it IS pretty intrusive.
I don't follow:confused:

Bullaholic
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM

Rabbitt....McAfee and Norton Security Suites are the market leaders that will do most of what you request, except spyware removal. They will detect spyware, but won't remove it because of possible legal issues concerning advertising. However, there are 2 pieces of spyware removal software that are available for free download from download.com. They are Spybot and Ad-aware. You must install them both and then check their repective websites for the latest spyware definition files, update, and then search your hardrive(s) with each for Spyware. Best of luck.

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
I don't follow:confused:
I believe both major companies have an Internet Security 'suite' of a kind you can purchase at Wall-Mart or Sams.
I found during my time working for Earthlink(in their help desk div.) that McAfee's was very effective but shut down many of Earthlink's "Total Access" ' key components. It was frustrating as a tech to figure out what was really happening.;)

Holmes_Fans
12-14-2004, 10:29 PM
I use Nortan Anti-virus, it scans every night for virus plus scans email. Then every other day or so I scan with "clean center" and "ad-aware".

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
I use Nortan Anti-virus, it scans every night for virus plus scans email. Then every other day or so I scan with "clean center" and "ad-aware".
Ad-aware is as good program for spyware out there as any IMO(and it's free).
Zone alarm is great firewall freebee.
Has Spy-bot ever updated their definitions? I haven't checked for months...:o

Holmes_Fans
12-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I have an external firewall, and I'm guessing it works to. Got an email a month or two ago about someone trying to hack into our computers.

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 10:56 PM
I have an external firewall, and I'm guessing it works to. Got an email a month or two ago about someone trying to hack into our computers.
Routers provide the best security but you have to buy them and install them.
BTW, HF did you like the Pirate screen saver?

Holmes_Fans
12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
I never got it

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 11:12 PM
I never got it
I guess you want me to mail it?:D
Did you look in your ss properties?;) It installs pretty quick.