PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans Bowl

gobbler grad
12-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Southern Miss. beating N. Texas 14-0 2nd qtr.

Holmes_Fans
12-14-2004, 08:30 PM
3afan is at that game

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 08:34 PM
SM 14 NT3 2nd quarter

sahen
12-14-2004, 08:45 PM
its ridiculous that north texas is in abowl if u ask me....i watched baylor drill them...

jason
12-14-2004, 08:57 PM
they won the sun-belt conference

Texas 0 - 65 (L)
Florida Atlantic 13 - 20(L)
Colorado 21 - 52 (L)
Baylor 14 - 37 (L)
Middle Tennessee 30 - 21 (W)
Utah State 31 - 23 (W)
New Mexico State 36 - 26 (W)
Sat, Oct 30 Louisiana-Monroe 45 - 30 (W)
Louisiana-Lafayette 27 - 17 (W)
Idaho 51 - 29 (W)
Arkansas State 31 - 7 (W)

sahen
12-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jason
they won the sun-belt conference

IMO (prolly good that im not over anything) if u get drilled by baylor, not just beat by a couple points but absolutely dominated u shouldnt get to have a bowl, even if u do win ur conference...i mean come on....sun belt...what kinda conference is that?

jason
12-14-2004, 09:04 PM
this is they're 4th straight new orleans bowl appearance...how many bowl games or conference titles does baylor have in the last 4 years ??

they've also won 25 straight conference games - link (http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9058&SPID=562&DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=88606)

ej2525
12-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by sahen
IMO (prolly good that im not over anything) if u get drilled by baylor, not just beat by a couple points but absolutely dominated u shouldnt get to have a bowl, even if u do win ur conference...i mean come on....sun belt...what kinda conference is that?

All conferences can't be the Big 12 or the SEC!!

sahen
12-14-2004, 09:25 PM
this is they're 4th straight new orleans bowl appearance...how many bowl games or conference titles does baylor have in the last 4 years ??

they've also won 25 straight conference games - link (http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9058&SPID=562&DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=88606)

jason u proved my point....if u win 25 straight conference games yet have a 1-11 (or 1-10 i cant remember which) lifetime record against baylor wat does that say about ur conference....

sahen
12-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
All conferences can't be the Big 12 or the SEC!!

yes but if u cant beat teh perennial cellar dweller (im not saying fluke victories here, im talkin they just cant beat them) of those conferences yet win urs what does that say?

jason
12-14-2004, 09:27 PM
if unt was in the big 12, they would have better recruiting and be able to compete at the big 12 level...just because you're conference isnt a powerhouse like the big 12 south, doesnt mean you're less bowl deserving than other d1 schools that cant win 6 games....

baylor lost to unt in womens soccer this year, does that mean baylor isnt fit to compete in the big 12 ??? NO

unt winning the sun-belt every year is like ou winning the big 12 every year....how come they do it? because they're the best, year in-year out...

unt brings in more 'bowl game' money for the sub-belt than baylor doesl for the big12

baylor should feel lucky they have 4 teams in bowl games that will bring in a few extra million dollars for the league....

Keith7
12-14-2004, 09:30 PM
if unt was in the big 12, they would have better recruiting and be able to compete at the big 12 level...just because you're conference isnt a powerhouse like the big 12 south, doesnt mean you're less bowl deserving than other d1 schools that cant win 6 games....

baylor lost to unt in womens soccer this year, does that mean baylor isnt fit to compete in the big 12 ??? NO

unt winning the sun-belt every year is like ou winning the big 12 every year....how come they do it? because they're the best, year in-year out...

Big 12 south is Overrated

jason
12-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Big 12 south is Overrated well, its better than the north...

Keith7
12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
well, its better than the north...

true.. the Sun Belt conference is better then the Big 12 North

jason
12-14-2004, 09:37 PM
true.. the Sun Belt conference is better then the Big 12 North yup...the SBC has a team in a bowl game for the 4th consecutive year...

Keith7
12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
yup...the SBC has a team in a bowl game for the 4th consecutive year...

maybe i'm crazy.. but doesnt the Winner of the Sun Belt conference automatically get a bowl bid to the New Orleans bowl??

sahen
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
big 12 north would kill north texas...big 12 north has put more than one team in a bowl every year of the big 12's existance...my guess if u look back over time u would find out that those 6 teams together have had a team in a bowl for many many years (for instance this year was the first year nebraska hasnt gone to a bowl in forever)....and ones that pay out much better than new orleans...
i always thought that bowl games should be for the better teams in football...to me north texas isnt even close, i know they say if u have a winning record, but i think u should have to be ranked or something too...but i guess i wont get that best team's playing in the postseason wish until they start a playoff system...

sahen
12-14-2004, 09:52 PM
maybe i'm crazy.. but doesnt the Winner of the Sun Belt conference automatically get a bowl bid to the New Orleans bowl??

yes..that is correct..and i dont how old the new orleans bowl is but i'd guess around 4 years...sun belt prolly didnt get a rep until they made the new orleans bowl..

jason
12-14-2004, 09:53 PM
maybe i'm crazy.. but doesnt the Winner of the Sun Belt conference automatically get a bowl bid to the New Orleans bowl?? uhm, i dont know if its automatic, but i guess the way that north texas has acted and brought a good fan base, etc...they just get an invite once they become bowl eligible....i think it'd be awesome to make a trip to the big easy every year for a football game.....

jason
12-14-2004, 09:56 PM
i know they say if u have a winning record, but i think u should have to be ranked or something too...but i guess i wont get that best team's playing in the postseason wish until they start a playoff system... you have to have 6 wins to be bowl eligible...and why not be rewarded for winning your conference....geez...just cause baylor sucks and cant win 6 games, doesnt mean you have to look down upon other conferences...i know unt would LOVE to be in the big 12, but they're not, so they win the conference they're in....

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Sahen, Stop doggin another texas team that is in a bowl game. You don't have to take out your frustrations out on UNT just because your precious bears can't make it to a bowl.

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:01 PM
yes....new orleans is sun belt 1 vs. conference usa (not sure of the seed, i thought they said 2 on the tv and southern miss is ties with a ton of people with for 2nd in conference usa)
also new orleans is 4 years old...North Texas is 1-2 in New orleans bowls...looks like 1-3 after this...and honestly jason the fan base for North Texas was horrible at the game in waco....For a team that wins their conference every year and is playing a big 12 opponent the 200 or some odd people that made the 1 hour drive from denton to waco was pretty ridiculous...

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
so is North Texas overrated?? or Southern Miss Underrated?? I wonder if the people who voted texas ahead of Cal in the BCS because Cal had trouble in the first half against Southern Miss are starting to rethink what they did

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
would you rather go to waco or go to new orleans for a football game and other activities

jason
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
well, they take plenty to new orleans.....

look at it this way:
would you rather play on a team that wins MAYBE 1 conference game a year (baylor) ? or on a team that competes for their conference title every year (unt) and brings in money for their athletic program and school and doesnt have to rely on other schools to do it for them ???

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:07 PM

look at it this way:
would you rather play on a team that wins MAYBE 1 conference game a year (baylor) ? or on a team that competes for their conference title every year (unt) and brings in money for their athletic program and school and doesnt have to rely on other schools to do it for them ???

UNT is prolly my future school so i'm not gonna say anything

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:07 PM
you have to have 6 wins to be bowl eligible...and why not be rewarded for winning your conference....geez...just cause baylor sucks and cant win 6 games, doesnt mean you have to look down upon other conferences...i know unt would LOVE to be in the big 12, but they're not, so they win the conference they're in....

i know u have to have 6 wins...that would mean u have a winning record (like i said) since u play 11 games in a seasons...
im not arguing that im saying that i think (like i said in my first post prolly good im not over anything) that just because u win 6 games ur not necessarily bowl worthy.....yah they won their conference but what other team in district 22-5a couldnt?...i know there is no way for this argument to be proven either way so im gonna stop...im just saying that i wish teams in bowl games would be bowl worthy not just elgible...

jason
12-14-2004, 10:08 PM
so is North Texas overrated?? or Southern Miss Underrated?? I wonder if the people who voted texas ahead of Cal in the BCS because Cal had trouble in the first half against Southern Miss are starting to rethink what they did im not arguing with you, but unt isnt over-rated...they got the invite for winning their conference...with these non-bcs bowl games, i think, especially for lesser known d1 schools, that its more about the experience and having fun than anything else...

can you imagine being on bourbon street right now......

i hope 3afan takes video....

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:08 PM

look at it this way:

k since ur gonna aruge that do u wanan go look at money really and see how much baylor brings in....i bet they pass UNT in ticket sales alone....even with UNT's coveted bowl money

jason
12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
im just saying that i wish teams in bowl games would be bowl worthy not just elgible... what if baylor wins 4 pre-conference games against D1-AA schools and somehow gets 2 miracle conference wins...would you deny a bowl invite ??

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:11 PM
im not arguing with you, but unt isnt over-rated...they got the invite for winning their conference...with these non-bcs bowl games, i think, especially for lesser known d1 schools, that its more about the experience and having fun than anything else...

can you imagine being on bourbon street right now......

i hope 3afan takes video....

Yeah i'm sure the citizens of New Orleans wait all year to come out to Bourbon street just to see the winners of the weakest conference in D-1 football, and to see the 3rd place team from anothe conference

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
so is North Texas overrated?? or Southern Miss Underrated?? I wonder if the people who voted texas ahead of Cal in the BCS because Cal had trouble in the first half against Southern Miss are starting to rethink what they did

southern miss is underrated...teh game they played cal was evident of that....and they also beat nebraska, in lincoln earlier in the year...

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh and Jason the Sunbelt winner does get a Automatic bid to the New Orleans bowl, and here is why...

“New Orleans made so much sense to us,” Waters added. “The Sun Belt is headquartered in New Orleans, the league has great relationships with the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation (GNOSF), the Superdome, and the local convention bureau and hotel-motel association.”

I got that off of the official New Orleans bowl website

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
what if baylor wins 4 pre-conference games against D1-AA schools and somehow gets 2 miracle conference wins...would you deny a bowl invite ??

i believe the rules state u can only use one win over a D1-AA school to count towards bowl elgibility....and even if they did it would depend on how they did it....if they blast the 1-AA teams and then beat 2 south teams (they would both be ranked since all the rest were this year) then i'd say yes....u deserve a bowl...

jason
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah i'm sure the citizens of New Orleans wait all year to come out to Bourbon street just to see the winners of the weakest conference in D-1 football, and to see the 3rd place team from anothe conference lol...no there are a TON of students from each school down there, plenty of alumni too...

i know at unt, they re-arranged some of the finals so students could go down there...

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
i think this....north texas shouldnt get a bowl when they loose all their non highschool games, when a team like Arkansas has to sit at home because they lost 6 real games yet won 5 real ones...if u think north texas derseves a bowl game more than arkansas then ur crazy...the sunbelt should be in D1-AA where they would still have trouble...

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:25 PM
i think this....north texas shouldnt get a bowl when they loose all their non highschool games, when a team like Arkansas has to sit at home because they lost 6 real games yet won 5 real ones...if u think north texas derseves a bowl game more than arkansas then ur crazy...the sunbelt should be in D1-AA where they would still have trouble...

The New Orleans bowl was created for the Sun Belt Conference.. so if Baylor or Arkansas want to get an easy bowl game they should join the Sun Belt Conference

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
on another note did u guys hear the announcers on tv arguing about the playoffs??? they like started personally attacking the guy that wanted it by saying he just wants it cause his wife went to auburn...

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:27 PM
The New Orleans bowl was created for the Sun Belt Conference.. so if Baylor or Arkansas want to get an easy bowl game they should join the Sun Belt Conference
they'd loose way too much money, plus there r other sports than football....

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:28 PM
they'd loose way too much money, plus there r other sports than football....

THERE IS!?!??! :confused:

jason
12-14-2004, 10:29 PM
i think this....north texas shouldnt get a bowl when they loose all their non highschool games, when a team like Arkansas has to sit at home because they lost 6 real games yet won 5 real ones...if u think north texas derseves a bowl game more than arkansas then ur crazy...the sunbelt should be in D1-AA where they would still have trouble... when baylor has a winning season...ill start listening to you...until then, you're not worth my time....

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:31 PM
THERE IS!?!??! :confused:
lol yes...u'd be surprised how much money basketball and baseball brings in...they have big tournaments for those in march and may/june respectively for those....

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Sahen, you called UNT's non conference schedule high school games right. Well three of those four games were to 3 big 12 teams. If i am not mistaken didn't baylor loose a D-1AA team in non conference.

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:34 PM
when baylor has a winning season...ill start listening to you...until then, you're not worth my time....
tuff talk for someone that goes to school where they dont even have a football team...we may only win 3 games a year but atleast we have games every saturday in teh fall

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
tuff talk for someone that goes to school where they dont even have a football team...we may only win 3 games a year but atleast we have games every saturday in teh fall

Good one! :clap:

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 00Sinker
Sahen, you called UNT's non conference schedule high school games right. Well three of those four games were to 3 big 12 teams. If i am not mistaken didn't baylor loose a D-1AA team in non conference.

sry sinker, that was a typo in that post....i meant to write "when they win all their non highschool games" not loose...yes that would be very foolish of me to call teams like UT a high school team....

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
actually sinker...i just re re read my post when i said that....u should too...i said they should go to a bowl game when they loose all their NON highschool games....thus their conference games = highschool and non conference = real teams....

jason
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
tuff talk for someone that goes to school where they dont even have a football team...we may only win 3 games a year but atleast we have games every saturday in teh fall just because we dont have a football team doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.....

when baylor has a winning season...ill start listening to you...until then, you're not worth my time....

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 10:41 PM
So you are sayin that if baylor lost to Miami, Florida, and Florida St. then they should go to a bowl game.

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
NOW that this post has occupied me through that horrible football game.....i understand why north texas is in a bowl game and if i was in their position i would prolly aruge their side too...yes their should be a reward for winning your conference but when your conference is as bad as teh sunbelt is i think maybe they should have to do a different system..of their 9 teams, they won 9 nonconference games...of those 9 1 was against a ranked opponent (Troy vs. 17 Missouri) of course mizzou ended up not ranked at all...

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 00Sinker
So you are sayin that if baylor lost to Miami, Florida, and Florida St. then they should go to a bowl game.

where r u coming from?// im saying win a credible game before u get a bowl bid....actually beat someone...i think ur missing my point or maybe u misread that post as well...

sahen
12-14-2004, 10:52 PM
just because we dont have a football team doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.....

just because baylor doesnt win doesnt mean i dont konw what im talkin about either...i imagine we both watch tons of football, if someone has a different view dont mean that that person is entirely wrong or dumb...granted im sure we coudl come up with some that are, most arguments r gonna have some credibility to it...