PDA

View Full Version : Best Burger in the state?

pirate44
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
loved the bbq thread so much, here's one for the burger lovers. Same rules: no franchises (i.e. Whataburger, ect.), give the name and city

my vote: Chris Madrid's San Antonio (blanco & hollywood)

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Hut's on 6th St. in Austin.

superslyguy06
12-14-2004, 10:46 AM
probly at Parini's just south of abilene in buffalo gap, but its pretty $$, but it might be more of a bbq place tho

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pirate44

we can stop the poll now..... this will win :D

pirate44
12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Chedder Cheezy Macho. i keep telling myself to try something else each time im there, but i cant bring myself to it. great atmosphere too.

BullFrog Dad
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Jason's Grocery and Grill in LW. Their Texas Double Giant makes Hardee's Monster Burger look like a midget burger.

rhs78
12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Rusty"s in corpus christi if it is still there.

pirate44
12-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
Rusty"s in corpus christi if it is still there.
that one seems to have gone downhill. i prefer wallbangers in Corpus Christi. But it has been about a year since ive been to rusty's. maybe thats a good excuse to go and try it out again.:D

rhs78
12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
that one seems to have gone downhill. i prefer wallbangers in Corpus Christi. But it has been about a year since ive been to rusty's. maybe thats a good excuse to go and try it out again.:D

you could be right its been about 2-years ago and it was good then. i'll try wallbangers next week when i'm in cc,thanks

Cat22
12-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Burger Town here in Orangefield!

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Ooh, I almost forgot. Storm's in either Burnet or Lampasas. Mmmm.

pirate44
12-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
you could be right its been about 2-years ago and it was good then. i'll try wallbangers next week when i'm in cc,thanks
wallbangers is similar to rustys and fudruckers. but fuddruckers doesnt open in C.C. for a few more weeks i think. cant go wrong with wallbangers though.

raider red 2000
12-14-2004, 01:44 PM
i voet goes to mario's drive-in lubbock texas....also pretty good mexican food there...too bad i am 9 hours away.

Balboa
12-14-2004, 01:47 PM
angelo burger in San Angelo .....

onfirebball05mustang
12-14-2004, 01:49 PM
I either like Burger Tex here in Austin, or Floyd's in CC

zeke
12-14-2004, 02:05 PM
The best I've ever come across is the triple decker, double cheeseburger made by Storm's Drive-in. Two locations : Lampasas and Hamilton. With fries its under $5.
The buns are grilled in oil, but it tastes so very, very good.
Thanks, LH Panther Mom...I didn't know they had one in Burnet...good to know.

Johnny Utah
12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Mary's in Strawn!!! Oh! I thought we were talking CFS!!!! Kitoks in Waco(not sure if it is spelled correctly).

andy_dufresne
12-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Gotta go with the Ray's Special at Ray's Drive-In in Lufkin. It meets your burger quota for the month (2 1/3 lb. patties) but it's dang good. They got a writeup in Texas Monthly a few years ago about being the best burger in the state.

cunbed10
12-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Stricklin Burgers in Marlin, if it's still there.

cdlvj
12-14-2004, 03:47 PM
loved the bbq thread so much, here's one for the burger lovers. Same rules: no franchises (i.e. Whataburger, ect.), give the name and city

aBsolutely the tops and you got that one right!!!!!!!!!

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hut's on 6th St. in Austin. i dont know about the burger, but i know 6th street is the best!!!!

CRHSeagle
12-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Jason's Grocery and Grill in LW. Their Texas Double Giant makes Hardee's Monster Burger look like a midget burger.

Where's that located? I can't think of a good burger joint here in the R.O. so I might swing by Lake Worth and try this.

Holmes_Fans
12-14-2004, 04:53 PM
The best burger I've ever had (and I'm not exagerating) were sinton66's tortilla burgers at the meet and greet at inks lake.

big daddy russ
12-15-2004, 04:28 AM
1. Kokomo Cafe- Aransas Pass, TX
2. Pelican's Landing- Port Aransas, TX
3. The old Tiger Truck Stop- between Orange, TX and Lake Charles, LA on I-10
4. Snoopy's- Flour Bluff, TX
5. Toomer's Corner- Auburn, AL (I think they may have stopped serving their burgers... what a shame)
6. Harbor Landing- Aransas Pass, TX
7. Snappy's Convenience Store- Ingleside, TX
8. Ma's Mobil One- Agricola, MS
9. Chicken Oil Company- College Station, TX (Dixie Chicken serves the exact same burgers)
10. Freddy's- Sinton, TX (Home of the tortilla burger)

rockdale80
12-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Chicken Oil is good....So it Storm's...and Mary's in Strawn does have a mean CFS.

Port_town_texas
12-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by andy_dufresne
Gotta go with the Ray's Special at Ray's Drive-In in Lufkin. It meets your burger quota for the month (2 1/3 lb. patties) but it's dang good. They got a writeup in Texas Monthly a few years ago about being the best burger in the state. Yes sir!!! I TOTALLY agree!

shankbear
12-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Roberts Meat Market in Orange or Burger Town in Orangefield.

cdlvj
12-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Chris Madrids by far better than Hut's and Storms.

oh well
12-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Big Daddy I like the list do you have a list of Barbeque places mas well.

underware
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
The KN in Cuero is pretty good. It's been there a VERY long time.

44INAROW
12-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by underware
The KN in Cuero is pretty good. It's been there a VERY long time.

Gotta love the chili cheese burger from KN...... and the double burrito plate is good too, but that's another thread lol

footballmom
12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
It's a toss up between Kincaid's Grocery and Charlie's Homemade burgers here in Fort Worth.

pirate44
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Gotta love the chili cheese burger from KN...... and the double burrito plate is good too, but that's another thread lol
i dont know about a double burrito thread, but ive got a few places i could list for a chicken fried steak thread:D

X21AAAPlayer
12-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Including Texas roadhouse:) Lol but seriously our CFS sometimes hangs over the edges of a large plate. For burgers I'll have to say the good ol' pizza burger at Burger Town in Orangefield or the tripe threat at novroskys.

big daddy russ
12-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by oh well
Big Daddy I like the list do you have a list of Barbeque places mas well. 1. Charlie's BBQ- Ingleside, TX
2. 3 Pigs' BBQ- Opelika, AL
3. Mac's Pit BBQ- Gregory, TX (Their ribs aren't better or worse than anyone else's, but their brisket is superb)
4. Kreutz' BBQ- Lockhart, TX
5. Dreamland BBQ- Tuscaloosa, AL
6. Hog Heaven BBQ- Opelika, AL (They're a chain, but this one in particular rocks my socks off)
7. Dozier's BBQ- Somewhere outside of Houston... Brookshire, I think... everytime I eat there my girlfriend's family drives
8. Joe Cotten's- Robstown, TX(This place used to rank in the top three, but has fallen off a bit in the past ten years or so)
9. Vernon's BBQ- Corpus Christi, TX
10. Hinze's- Somewhere around El Campo between Victoria and Houston on I-10 (See Joe Cotten's)

There's my personal list oh well. I wish everyone could try Charlie's. There are even people from Ingleside who have never heard of it, but the meat just falls apart when you get it.

I haven't really found any awesome places up here in the College Station area. C&J's Market is good but isn't on this level... and J. Cody's had awesome sides but the meat was a little too tough for my tastes. If anyone knows of any good places in the area, I'm up for a drive.

Phantom Stang
12-15-2004, 02:08 PM
If you're over 40 and miss the "Drive In" burgers that used to be common, you will find the "Malt Shop" in Weatherford to be very satisfying. ;)

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 02:09 PM

I've never been there. I know where we'll be going this weekend.:D

pirate44
12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I've never been there. I know where we'll be going this weekend.:D
you wont be dissappointed. trust me on this one.

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 02:20 PM
lol
We go out to eat at least once a week but haven't scratched the surface of all the restaurants in SA. We're slowly making our way from west to east.;)
Texas Hamburger co. on Huebner makes a good burger. I'm not a huge fan of Chesters, they're ok. I've had good success at Buck's Landing(the place with the airplane on 1604) and burgers.
But, we'll try Chris Madrids for sure.

pirate44
12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
We go out to eat at least once a week but haven't scratched the surface of all the restaurants in SA. We're slowly making our way from west to east.;)
Texas Hamburger co. on Huebner makes a good burger. I'm not a huge fan of Chesters, they're ok. I've had good success at Buck's Landing(the place with the airplane on 1604) and burgers.
But, we'll try Chris Madrids for sure.
i was always curious of Chesters. ive heard good things. i just cant imagine going anywhere other than Madrids when it comes to eatin burgers.lol

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 02:38 PM
i was always curious of Chesters. ive heard good things. i just cant imagine going anywhere other than Madrids when it comes to eatin burgers.lol
Chesters are good but they just taste plain to me. Very simple.
Ground round, salt and pepper. Just like my dad used to make.

Keith7
12-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
1. Charlie's BBQ- Ingleside, TX
2. 3 Pigs' BBQ- Opelika, AL
3. Mac's Pit BBQ- Gregory, TX (Their ribs aren't better or worse than anyone else's, but their brisket is superb)
4. Kreutz' BBQ- Lockhart, TX
5. Dreamland BBQ- Tuscaloosa, AL
6. Hog Heaven BBQ- Opelika, AL (They're a chain, but this one in particular rocks my socks off)
7. Dozier's BBQ- Somewhere outside of Houston... Brookshire, I think... everytime I eat there my girlfriend's family drives
8. Joe Cotten's- Robstown, TX(This place used to rank in the top three, but has fallen off a bit in the past ten years or so)
9. Vernon's BBQ- Corpus Christi, TX
10. Hinze's- Somewhere around El Campo between Victoria and Houston on I-10 (See Joe Cotten's)

There's my personal list oh well. I wish everyone could try Charlie's. There are even people from Ingleside who have never heard of it, but the meat just falls apart when you get it.

I haven't really found any awesome places up here in the College Station area. C&J's Market is good but isn't on this level... and J. Cody's had awesome sides but the meat was a little too tough for my tastes. If anyone knows of any good places in the area, I'm up for a drive.

Can the Smokehouse in Gainesville get honorable mention?!

3afan
12-15-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Ooh, I almost forgot. Storm's in either Burnet or Lampasas. Mmmm.

Storm's has gone downhill IMO

44INAROW
12-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Sintonfan.. where is the Buck's on 1604? We have friends in Bulverde off 1604 (Spring Branch area) and they are new to the area.. Sounds like a place we'd like to check out.. Is Buck's any where near Bulverde?

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Sintonfan.. where is the Buck's on 1604? We have friends in Bulverde off 1604 (Spring Branch area) and they are new to the area.. Sounds like a place we'd like to check out.. Is Buck's any where near Bulverde?
South of there. It's on 1604 near Stone Oak Pkwy. Just look for the big WW2 plane on the northside of 1604. They have some good Mexican food thats a little different from typical fare. My wife always gets the mushroom swiss and I HAVE to have a bite when I don't order it myself.;)
They have a good fajita taco that's worth two meals almost.
Their Angel(and Devil, though not spicy) wings are pretty good, too.
Mondays or Tuesdays kids eat free.

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Storm's has gone downhill IMO
We tried Storms several years ago and they were good. Last year I wasn't impressed myself.
Another place in Hondo used to be good, too. I think it was called Bubbas or something like that.

Matthew328
12-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Kincaid's is really good in Ft. Worth along with Tommy's Hamburgers.....Bullfrog Dad e-mail me with directions to the place in Lake Worth I may swing by there on my lunch break!

Gene's Tasty Burger in Wichita Falls isn't bad and there is a place in Paris called BurgerLand...

Old Tiger
12-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Shraeders in Thorndale has some awesome burgers! I'm not sure about the spelling of it though.

SintonFan
12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
All this talk of burgers made me hungry for a burger.:D
I tried a new place tonight in Corpus Christi. Fast Breakers on the corner of McKenzie and Leopard(next to Golden Bear). Man, is it good! 100% Black Angus beef on sourdough buns. Jeez, I was pleasantly surprised. This one is my new favorite in Corpus.:)

big daddy russ
12-17-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
Can the Smokehouse in Gainesville get honorable mention?! Sure can.

PS... I tried that Church of the Holy BBQ in Huntsville on Wednesday. Awesome. The second-best brisket I've ever had... I was using a butter knife to cut through mine.

chugbug
12-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Schobel's in Columbus.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CheerMom
12-17-2004, 10:44 AM
The Country Kitchen in Sheridan makes the best burger in the area. Along with a plate of their homemade onion rings, it doesn't get much better than that.

pirate44
12-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CheerMom
The Country Kitchen in Sheridan makes the best burger in the area. Along with a plate of their homemade onion rings, it doesn't get much better than that.
i think homemade onion rings or fries can sometimes make a burger. my fav. rings however are not at a burger joint at all but at a seafood restaurant. has anyone heard of King's Inn in Rivera?? made kinda like a loaf or onion strings. (by the way, their seafood is tops, but we'll save that for the seafood thread:D )

big daddy russ
12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
i think homemade onion rings or fries can sometimes make a burger. my fav. rings however are not at a burger joint at all but at a seafood restaurant. has anyone heard of King's Inn in Rivera?? made kinda like a loaf or onion strings. (by the way, their seafood is tops, but we'll save that for the seafood thread:D ) The King's Inn is awesome. For a town that barely supports an 11-man football team, Riviera has two of the best little eatin' places in the world.

Phantom Stang
07-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Thanks Bullfrog Dad. I finally tried 'em the other day and was quite pleased.:cool:

HighSchool Fan
07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
i think Hooters has some of the best burgers :D

Gobbla2001
07-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I'll have to try more, but I've always liked Jim's Big Burger and Double J's in Victoria...

Also a good torilla-burger at Japalenos in Victoria...

Onion rings, though? Clear Springs just South of New Braunfels...

Phantom Stang
07-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i think Hooters has some of the best burgers :D
lol Don't know about that, but there used to be a burger joint in Arlington that had some of the best hooters :D

pirate44
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
lol Don't know about that, but there used to be a burger joint in Arlington that had some of the best hooters :D LOL

HighSchool Fan
07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
there's a place on Harry Hines in Dallas called The Hole in the Wall. you have to walk carefully in there because of all the grease on the floor. once you get to your seat and order a burger, you'll be glad you decided to stop there. they are awesome.

pirate44
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
there's a place on Harry Hines in Dallas called The Hole in the Wall. you have to walk carefully in there because of all the grease on the floor. once you get to your seat and order a burger, you'll be glad you decided to stop there. they are awesome.
grease on the floor? are you serious or are you just tryin to give us an idea of the place?

Ranger05
07-18-2005, 12:48 PM
The best place in the midland area is Bobs better burger.

HighSchool Fan
07-18-2005, 12:53 PM
grease on the floor? are you serious or are you just tryin to give us an idea of the place?

trust me, it's there. if you passed by it, you wouldn't stop unless someone told you about it.

Phantom Stang
07-18-2005, 12:55 PM
The Shell station at the corner of 1709 and Randall Mill in Southlake makes a burger that's comparable to Tommy's.

pirate44
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
trust me, it's there. if you passed by it, you wouldn't stop unless someone told you about it.
that's the same id say for Chris Madrid's in San Antonio.

HighSchool Fan
07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
that's the same id say for Chris Madrid's in San Antonio.

here's some reviews, tell me what ya think

http://dine.com/restaurants/rid/20103/index.html

gonnawin05
07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
k&N CUERO BROADWAY ST AKA 87:thumbsup:

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2005, 01:38 PM
i think Hooters has some of the best burgers :D Ha...Hooters could sell hamburgers made outta sawdust and you guys would still be knocking each other over trying to get in the door!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :kiss:

robbo93
07-18-2005, 06:22 PM
New Baden country store in New Baden Tx. Great burgers

Old Tiger
07-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Ha...Hooters could sell hamburgers made outta sawdust and you guys would still be knocking each other over trying to get in the door!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :kiss: You say that like it's such a bad thing :cool:

Bandera YaYa
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
You say that like it's such a bad thing :cool: Nah.....Guys!!!...you gotta love 'em!!!! :D :D

sinton66
07-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Hands down, no ifs, ands or buts, Hot Dogs n More in Magnolia. (Second only to 66's Tortilla Burger). :D

Bull Butter
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
First off, let me say that when you're hungry, ANY burger is good (even McDonald's) But from my experience, in various states of hunger, the best burgers are.......

1. Chris Madrid's----San Antonio
2. Grin's---- San Marcos
3. Jake's--- South Padre Island
4. Cheesy Jane's--- Alamo Heights (SA)
5. Bill's Cafe---Kingwood

District303aPastPlayer
07-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
First off, let me say that when you're hungry, ANY burger is good (even McDonald's) But from my experience, in various states of hunger, the best burgers are.......

1. Chris Madrid's----San Antonio
2. Grin's---- San Marcos
3. Jake's--- South Padre Island
4. Cheesy Jane's--- Alamo Heights (SA)
5. Bill's Cafe---Kingwood

they have a second Cheesy Janes on the NW side of SA off of loop 410...

fairfield_06
07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Burgers from the Fairfield Burger King made by me

exbccards76'smom
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
I have to nominate the old Top Half Drive in Kountze. I know it's no longer in business, but their hamburgers were to die for!! And I have found noone that could beat their onion rings!!

44INAROW
07-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Hands down, no ifs, ands or buts, Hot Dogs n More in Magnolia. (Second only to 66's Tortilla Burger). :D

I am sure this has been addressed before, but I've seen the mention of Tortilla Burgers several times and it has me curious.. What is a Tortilla Burger? .. and will we get to taste any at the Meet and Greet in Sinton? :cool:

District303aPastPlayer
07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
I am sure this has been addressed before, but I've seen the mention of Tortilla Burgers several times and it has me curious.. What is a Tortilla Burger? .. and will we get to taste any at the Meet and Greet in Sinton? :cool:

if you get here before 2... you can get one from the originators, Tasty Taco.

Tortilla Burger is a layered like this:

Tortilla
Vegetable you like on your burger
Cheese
Meat
Refried Beans
Tortilla

44INAROW
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Tortilla
Cheese
Meat
Refried Beans
Tortilla

that does sound good, thanks!:)

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
that does sound good, thanks!:) Sounds great, but I can see alot of it ending up on your shirt.....or just how do you eat this ?? :thinking:

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Sounds great, but I can see alot of it ending up on your shirt.....or just how do you eat this ?? :thinking:

put it in your mouth and chew :p :D

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 09:50 AM
put it in your mouth and chew :p :D but tortillas are sooo thin.......(you smart a$$!) :p :p :kiss:

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 10:05 AM
but tortillas are sooo thin.......(you smart a$$!) :p :p :kiss:

be nice, i'm gonna be in your neck of the woods starting tomorrow

Old Tiger
07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
They could wrap it like a crunchwrap supreme...

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 10:30 AM
be nice, i'm gonna be in your neck of the woods starting tomorrow Ha! YOU are threatening ME???? Now that's a good one......(stir stir newt newt stir stir) :evillaugh :evillaugh :wave: :D

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Ha! YOU are threatening ME???? Now that's a good one......(stir stir newt newt stir stir) :evillaugh :evillaugh :wave: :D

threatening?? i would never threaten a beautiful woman :kiss: :kiss:

pirate4state
07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
if you get here before 2... you can get one from the originators, Tasty Taco.

Tortilla
Cheese
Meat
Refried Beans
Tortilla

I have lived here all my life and I have never had a tortilla burger!! :eek: Just can't get past beans in a burger!! Sounds like a flat taco to me!!

Old Tiger
07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Sinton is a little to far to get a burger

pirate44
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have lived here all my life and I have never had a tortilla burger!! :eek: Just can't get past beans in a burger!! Sounds like a flat taco to me!!
Ive had my first within the year.

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
threatening?? i would never threaten a beautiful woman :kiss: :kiss: Oh great.....now I gotta get my boots on....!!! :p :p :kiss:

HighSchool Fan
07-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Oh great.....now I gotta get my boots on....!!! :p :p :kiss:

i'm sure them boots would get uncomfortable after walking the kids around fiesta texas all day.:D

Bandera YaYa
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
i'm sure them boots would get uncomfortable after walking the kids around fiesta texas all day.:D Gee....now I guess you got me.....that would be pretty bad..

..TOO BAD I WON'T HAVE THE CHANCE TO FIND OUT!!!!!! :p :p :D