PDA

View Full Version : West Texas.....How about next year!!!???

vet93
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Now that all of the west texas teams have either taken a state championship (yea!!!) or lost out.....what are next years prospects? I know that it is early but it is still fun to look at this years season and see which starters are returning and what the J.V. prospects are.

I think that Sweetwater will be a top 10 team next year with who they have coming back. Muleshoe should have some decent kids coming back and be a decent panhandle/south plains team. Abilene Wylie is losing a good senior crop but they have Keenum back at qb and an excellent program. I think that they will have the biggest losses on the offensive and defensive lines. Greenwood should be better but may be a year away from being a regional threat. What about Graham, Vernon, IP etc....What about the rest of the panhandle? Could Seminole have a breakout year out west? What about Monahans and Ft. Stockton? Is coach Hanna's job in jeopardy in Monahans? Inquiring minds want to know?

For what it is worth...Ballinger returns all but 2 or 3 starters off of a 3 and 7 team. With several strong younger classes coming up....look for improvement for the Bearcats next year. If this team plays well together.....they may could go a round or two in the playoffs.

Black_Magic
12-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Snyder will be good again next year. they have 9 returning starters on D and 4 on O.

vet93
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Sounds good....ought to be another fight between the "big three" next year. I have to give the early nod to the Mustangs.

Originally posted by Black_Magic
Snyder will be good again next year. they have 9 returning starters on D and 4 on O.

Black_Magic
12-14-2004, 11:46 AM
so whats new.. its that way every year LOL. Snyder has never been picked to win district but tends to do better than everyone predicts EVERY year.

chugbug
12-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Rusty Roark will be the head coach a Monnhans next year. The wing-t is back. Good luck Rusty.:eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

vet93
12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Is this a for sure....or just wishful thinking???

Originally posted by chugbug
Rusty Roark will be the head coach a Monnhans next year. The wing-t is back. Good luck Rusty.:eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wtx_coach
12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
No thats not true at all, and I wish they would ROM him for lying like that, Coach Hanna is the coach in Lobo Land still for now, if the job was to come open im pretty sure Vet93s coach might be in the runing for the job!

nutcrackin
12-14-2004, 03:37 PM
i believe after watching Snyder.. they will be very tough to beat next year. i think #4 pinson will make a great tailback to replace dee and #44 or #11 should complete a strong backfield replacing brown #41. as far as the Line goes... #72 wasn't that quick which comes in handy in the playoffs so you might be better off. Replacing #50 at NT might be more difficult. Good luck next year.

vet93
12-14-2004, 03:39 PM
I kinda figured that that post was incorrect! I also kinda figured that if Coach Hanna wanted to leave that the Loboes might want to see Coach Owens. Coach Owens is a dandy and I would hate to see him leave Ballinger.

Originally posted by Wtx_coach
No thats not true at all, and I wish they would ROM him for lying like that, Coach Hanna is the coach in Lobo Land still for now, if the job was to come open im pretty sure Vet93s coach might be in the runing for the job!

westTXbest
12-14-2004, 03:40 PM
I dont kow abbout Greenwood i think they lost the last of the kids that playe on the state team and r going to be pretty young next year. I think we will be getting a new coach but its not for sure.

Wtx_coach
12-14-2004, 03:42 PM
I do agree Vet, coach Owens is a hell of a coach, have you heard if Owens is looking for a upper level division to coach at, if not im sure he will do just fine in Ballinger next year!

vet93
12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
I haven't heard anything....I do know that the next 4 to 5 years should look much better than this year. Ballinger has a pretty strong group of kids coming through over the next few years. I think that Coach Owens could really mold them into something special if he wants to stay at Ballinger.

Originally posted by Wtx_coach
I do agree Vet, coach Owens is a hell of a coach, have you heard if Owens is looking for a upper level division to coach at, if not im sure he will do just fine in Ballinger next year!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Vernon has a new crew of players coming up and the ones that played on the semi final team now have all past through. We had a terrible season this year, especially if you look at what Wylie did. Both Vernon and Wylie make the semis last year and then this year Wylie takes state and Vernon doesn't even make the playoffs. I know the town is already rumbling. I would hate to be a coach win 13 games one year win 5 the next and they want you gone.

The JV and Freshmen I believe both won district this year so Vernon should field a good squad with underclassmen, but who knows at this point.

I would bet that Graham and IP both also are reloading. I think the Lion JV lost to one of those two this year. I do hear we have a Freshman (from this year) Qb that is upcoming and very good. Not sure on this, but I think if he continues to play the position, he would be Vernon's first Black QB. But I'm not for sure on that.

Green Ranger
12-14-2004, 05:29 PM
What is the word on Coach Purser out in Greenwood leaving? He has looked the past couple of years but to no avail, that he has a nice house out there. Didnt see him leaving, if he leaves it would be retirement. Where ever he may go I wish him the best, he is a great guy.

mustang04
12-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Sweetwater will be a threat.......

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Mustang04 I have a picture of you and I didn't even know it! It is duing the Vernon game in Lubbock. Your on the sideline with your helment off. You must have been worn out from all the scoring! Hehe!

I'll try and scan it so that I can send it to you.

mustang04
12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
sweet!...how'd u realize it was me???

Snyder_TigerFan
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
I agree...Sweetwater is going to be very good next year. They were a young team this year and did very good. Is Thompson a jr?

Snyder is losing some key players, however I think they will have some good players to fill their shoes. Both of the QB's will be back.

lobo12
12-14-2004, 07:26 PM
i wonder if owens would want to go to monahans to be the coach if the job happend to open. hanna is a great coach and i think should remain there if he wanted, he led teams to the semis and won state in iraan and won district last year. i think he should stay but it is all politics, that is why i wonder if owens would want it.

westTXbest
12-14-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey lobo12 u ought to go to greenwood u would see some politics.

lobo12
12-14-2004, 08:45 PM
i bet its different, yall have politicts due to players for what i understand, we have politics with our coaches

Da Mules
12-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Muleshoe will be very good at skill positons with an outstanding Jr QB and Sr RB Brady Black should get even better.. what will hurt is graduating the 2-3A defensive MVP Juan Nunez; he did an outstanding job at LB (added: made 2nd-team All-State) The lines will lose some good players, and will be undersized again.. and that really hurts when you break out of district.

wildstangs
12-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Wylie graduates a ton of seniors this year...so I look for them to be average...wait, they lost a ton of seniors every year. I think they will take Region 1 Division 1 again.

Sweetwater must replace an incredible line and the district MVP Jeremy Thompson. Luckily the Stangs had a very talented group of sophomore starting this year. Should be a little better next year. I think the Stangs are a legitimate threat at winning Region 1 division 2 next year.

Snyder is losing a great RB in Dee Walker. The Tigers will have two very talented QB's returning next year though. Also gone is receiver/kicker Castillo. But the Tigers reload every year. They return a lot of defensive standouts from last year. I am sure someone will step it up at RB and lead the Tigers to another Region 1 championship game.

Other than that, I look for the usual suspects to be competitive...Greenwood will be improved (watch out for these guys in a few years with Wilbur gaining valuable experience) Canyon, Perryton, and Lubbock Cooper should all be strong as well.

VWG
12-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Ho hum... pencil in the regular three for 4-3A. Wylie, Sweetwater and Snyder. Unless Merkel comes through I don't see any change here.

VWG
12-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Vernon has a new crew of players coming up and the ones that played on the semi final team now have all past through. We had a terrible season this year, especially if you look at what Wylie did. Both Vernon and Wylie make the semis last year and then this year Wylie takes state and Vernon doesn't even make the playoffs. I know the town is already rumbling. I would hate to be a coach win 13 games one year win 5 the next and they want you gone.

The JV and Freshmen I believe both won district this year so Vernon should field a good squad with underclassmen, but who knows at this point.

I would bet that Graham and IP both also are reloading. I think the Lion JV lost to one of those two this year. I do hear we have a Freshman (from this year) Qb that is upcoming and very good. Not sure on this, but I think if he continues to play the position, he would be Vernon's first Black QB. But I'm not for sure on that.

Dang Z!!! Must be tough skinned in Vernon these days. Will we see Coach Hall with his moving van on Hwy. 287 soon?
I doubt if the school board will give him the boot, although Vernon had a talented crew (Hall, Favors, Schur, etc...) this year and they will be missed.
I look for Vernon to reload. They had a good Frosh. and JV team this year. Graham will do the same. Graham will have the numbers to reload off an 8-2 JV and 9-1 Freshman team.
Iowa Park will have to replace Swenson, and their backup QB Riley is pretty good. I doubt if he will be able to live up to what Swenson brought to the table. Iowa Park's freshman team was pretty solid.
Breckenridge will have Heatley back under center, and for my money he is the best QB in the district. If he had more talent around him they can make things interesting again next year.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-15-2004, 12:21 AM
I don't think Hall will be leaving, but a couple of more 5 win seasons and then I would say probably yes.

I didn't catch any underclassmen games this year so I really don't know too much about the Lions. VernonLion#1 knows about the younger ones.

football4life
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
well as for canyon, we have 7 returning defensive starters, and 5 returning O starters, but the O-line needs to replace 4 of 5 positions. the jv lost only 1 game, dominating for the most part. Borger was pretty young, i saw they had several sophmores who saw significant pt, im not sure about perryton.

but you just never know, just like with the 11-1 2004 eagles, and i dont care what you say about the panhandle.

lobo dad
12-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I agree...Sweetwater is going to be very good next year. They were a young team this year and did very good. Is Thompson a jr?

Snyder is losing some key players, however I think they will have some good players to fill their shoes. Both of the QB's will be back.

Thompson is a senior, but the rest of the backfield from S'water is back. My bet is that Carillo will be the QB. The kid is a good athlete. Snyder's defense is loaded with talent and experience, their offense will be tough like always. The two QB's coming back will certainly be a plus.

vet93
12-15-2004, 09:57 AM
All the panhandle has to do to get the monkey off of their back in 3a is win. Right now, their most recent history has been to crumble when they play non-panhandle teams. This is certainly not the case for 1a, 2a and sometimes 4a.

Originally posted by football4life
well as for canyon, we have 7 returning defensive starters, and 5 returning O starters, but the O-line needs to replace 4 of 5 positions. the jv lost only 1 game, dominating for the most part. Borger was pretty young, i saw they had several sophmores who saw significant pt, im not sure about perryton.

but you just never know, just like with the 11-1 2004 eagles, and i dont care what you say about the panhandle.

Ranger Mom
12-15-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey Vet93.....in case I missed it, (and I'm interested) how is Ballinger looking for next year??

chugbug
12-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Everybody has the right to their own opinion. Coach Hanna is a fine Coach. I meant no disrespect to him. However if he choses to leave or whatever, I think that Monahans would be lucky to have Rusty Roark as their head coach. In fact, I really wish that he was still down south. :eek: :eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek:

vet93
12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
RM....There is nowhere to go but up:( We took our lumps this past year). It seemed like we would play very well for about 1/2 of the game and then let things get away from us in one big quarter or half. We will return almost everyone from last year. We lose a reciever, lineman and linebacker. We also lose a good kicker. Our Freshman team was undefeated until they were moved to JV and then they were undefeated as the JV team. We have fairly strong classes from 7th grade up, however we are lacking in size (which is par for the course). We don't have any speed burners but should be faster than last year. We play a difficult 3a schedule again in preseason so our record could be a little distorted, but if the kids will buy into what the coaches are trying to do then we should have a team that could go several rounds in the playoffs.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hey Vet93.....in case I missed it, (and I'm interested) how is Ballinger looking for next year??

Johnny Moxen
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Wylie wll be a threat as well. Hugh just tends to re-load rather than re-build. However, I am sure that others outside our district will not see Wylie as a team to beat. Both Sweetwater and Snyder will also be a force to be reckened with.