PDA

View Full Version : 2004 AP All American Team

Gsquared
12-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Associated Press

First Team

OFFENSE
Quarterback: Matt Leinart, Southern California, junior.
Running backs: Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma, freshman; J.J. Arrington, California, senior.
Wide receivers: Braylon Edwards, Michigan, senior; Taylor Stubblefield, Purdue, senior.
Tight end: Heath Miller, Virginia, junior.
Center: David Baas, Michigan, senior.
Guards-Tackles: Jammal Brown, Oklahoma, senior; Alex Barron, Florida State, senior; Elton Brown, Virginia, senior; Michael Munoz, Tennessee, senior.
Kicker: Mike Nugent, Ohio State, senior.
All-purpose: Reggie Bush, Southern California, sophomore.
DEFENSE
Linemen: Erasmus James, Wisconsin, senior; David Pollack, Georgia, senior; Shaun Cody, Southern California; senior; Marcus Spears, LSU, senior.
Linebacker: Derrick Johnson, Texas, senior; Matt Grootegoed, Southern California; senior; A.J. Hawk, Ohio State, senior.
Defensive backs: Carlos Rogers, Auburn, senior; Antrel Rolle, Miami, senior; Marlin Jackson, Michigan, senior; Ernest Shazor, Michigan, senior.
Punter: Brandon Fields, Michigan State, sophomore.

Second Team

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Alex Smith, Utah, junior.
Running backs: Cedric Benson, Texas, senior; Carnell Williams, Auburn, senior.
Wide receivers: Dante Ridgeway, Ball State, junior; Mark Clayton, Oklahoma, senior.
Tight end: Alex Smith, Stanford, senior.
Center: Marvin Philip, California, junior.
Guards-tackles: Chris Kemoeatu, Utah, senior; Marcus McNeil, Auburn; junior; Dan Buenning, Wisconsin, senior; Jonathan Scott, Texas; junior.
K: Tyler Jones, Boise State; senior.
All-purpose: Chad Owens, Hawaii, senior.

DEFENSE

Linemen: Jonathan Goddard, Marshall, senior; Dan Cody, Oklahoma, senior; Matt Roth, Iowa, senior; Ryan Riddle, California, senior.
Linebackers: Ahmad Brooks, Virginia, sophomore; Michael Boley, Southern Mississippi, senior; Kevin Burnett, Tennessee, senior.
Defensive backs: Corey Webster, LSU, senior; Thomas Davis, Georgia, junior; Junior Rosegreen, Auburn, senior; Morgan Scalley, Utah, senior.
Punter: Matt Payne, BYU, senior.

Third Team

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Jason White, Oklahoma, senior.
Running backs: Jamario Thomas, North Texas, freshman; DeAngelo Williams, Memphis, junior.
Wide receivers: Mike Haas, Oregon State, junior; Roddy White, UAB, senior.
Tight ends:Trey Haverty, Texas Tech, senior.
Center: Ben Wilkerson, LSU, senior.
Guards-tackles: Rob Petitti, Pittsburgh, senior; Sam Mayes, Oklahoma State, senior; Wesley Britt, Alabama, senior; Travis Leffew, Louisville, junior.
Kicker: Andrew Wellock, Eastern Michigan. sophomore.
All-purpose: Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State, freshman.

DEFENSE

Linemen: Mathias Kiwanuka, Boston College, junior; Mike Patterson, Southern California, senior; Travis Johnson, Florida State, senior; Jonathan Babineaux, Iowa, senior.
Linebackers: Barrett Ruud, Nebraska, senior; Lofa Tatupu, Southern California, junior; Leroy Hill, Clemson, senior.
Defensive backs: Mitch Meeuwsen, Oregon State, senior; Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV; senior; Charles Gordon, Kansas, sophomore; Jason Allen, Tennessee, junior.
Punters: Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor, sophomore.

Keith7
12-14-2004, 04:13 PM
how come nobody is complaining that Benson is 2nd team??

onfirebball05mustang
12-14-2004, 04:15 PM
because he can stay there lol

naw-i do think he shoulda made first team, but they have their opinions and i have mine

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
because he can stay there lol

naw-i do think he shoulda made first team, but they have their opinions and i have mine thats probably the concensus of the majority of us on the board...

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 04:35 PM
He and Peterson certainly have the stats to be 1st team, but for some reason or another people aren't giving him the love when it comes to voting.

Keith7
12-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
He and Peterson certainly have the stats to be 1st team, but for some reason or another people aren't giving him the love when it comes to voting.

Arrington has WAY better stats then Benson.. maybe thats why he is 1st team

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Arrington has WAY better stats then Benson.. maybe thats why he is 1st team Okay, let's test that theory:

Arrington:

264 attempts
1845 rushing yards
14 rushing TDs
20 receptions
91 receiving yards
0 receiving TDs

Benson:

303 attempts
1764 rushing yards
19 rushing TDs
22 receptions
179 receiving yards
1 receiving TD

Now take into consideration that Texas, by your own words, has no passing attack so all people have to do is stop Benson.

Please explain to me how that's "WAY better".

Keith7
12-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Okay, let's test that theory:

Arrington:

264 attempts
1845 rushing yards
14 rushing TDs
20 receptions
91 receiving yards
0 receiving TDs

Benson:

303 attempts
1764 rushing yards
19 rushing TDs
22 receptions
179 receiving yards
1 receiving TD

Now take into consideration that Texas, by your own words, has no passing attack so all people have to do is stop Benson.

Please explain to me how that's "WAY better".

They have no passing attack exactly..

so Arrington has to share some of his carrys with the passing game that Cal has.. and still produced 80 more yards then Benson on 40 LESS carrys.. no tell me how in the world you could consider Benson's stats better??

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-14-2004, 05:01 PM
because by those standrads, he was the only person producing on the team.

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 05:03 PM
They have no passing attack exactly..

so Arrington has to share some of his carrys with the passing game that Cal has.. and still produced 80 more yards then Benson on 40 LESS carrys.. no tell me how in the world you could consider Benson's stats better?? So are you saying that it's easier to get stats when the defense is keying in on you and can put 7 or 8 in the box to stop you?

Keith7
12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
So are you saying that it's easier to get stats when the defense is keying in on you and can put 7 or 8 in the box to stop you?

no its easier to pile up stats when you are getting 40 more rushes then the person you are comparing them to

Phil C
12-14-2004, 05:20 PM
What about the big passes Young threw to beat Kansas and don't forget the ones he completed to come from behind against Oklahoma State. Reminds me of the Bear Bryant days at Texas A&M. The Aggies were a running team basically but when they had to they could pass and many of the passes went for tds. In fact the old saying was "A&M can't pass a lick except for touchdowns." :)

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 05:37 PM
no its easier to pile up stats when you are getting 40 more rushes then the person you are comparing them to

Arrington's numbers are better, but not way better. The voters gave it to the two that deserved it the most. JD94 is right since Texas passing attack was inept, Benson had to do more to earn his yards. I didn't get to see Arrington much but Benson gained many of his yards after 2nd and 3rd hits. He is very deserving of 2nd team and could of easily been 1st. I just think Arrington's numbers are better and earned him the 1st team spot.

CHSBaseball07
12-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Benson shouldve been 1st team.

Keith7
12-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
Benson shouldve been 1st team.

There is the whiny orange i was looking for

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 10:03 PM
There is the whiny orange i was looking for If I were you, I'd be more worried about that whiny black and red of those Texas Red Raiders.:p :p :p

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
If I were you, I'd be more worried about that whiny black and red of those Texas Red Raiders.:p :p :p

WooHoo! Guns Up!

Keith7
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
If I were you, I'd be more worried about that whiny black and red of those Texas Red Raiders.:p :p :p

Nah Cal doesnt even need to show up to win... I kinda wish i wasnt coming home for christmas, i'd go watch the game

Gsquared
12-15-2004, 07:05 AM
What are the Utes gonna do? Kinda hores crap that they play a Big East team! Wish they would have gone up against a heavy weight

congo
12-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Yup most of the bowl games are kinda full of crap........I don't know why they set them up like that......Should of been Tx vs Auburn or even Utah.....The way I say it is it should be #1vs#2, #3vs#4 and so on........I think this will certainly start going into a playoff system pretty soon......

JasperDog94
12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
We can only hope.

Gsquared
12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by congo
Yup most of the bowl games are kinda full of crap........I don't know why they set them up like that......Should of been Tx vs Auburn or even Utah.....The way I say it is it should be #1vs#2, #3vs#4 and so on........I think this will certainly start going into a playoff system pretty soon......
They dont want Utah to play somebody that will beat them. That would prove how much of a horse crap system the BCS. Its safer for the BCS folks to match Utah up against somebody they should beat. If Utah wins, well, they were supposed to, if Utah looses, they say, see, the didnt belong in the top 2 spots.