PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ joint in the state?

superslyguy06
12-14-2004, 12:28 AM
In your opinon, what is the best BBQ place in the state.
Rules: no franchises (i.e. roadhouse, ect.), give the name and city

superslyguy06
12-14-2004, 12:29 AM
IMO, it would have to be Harold's Pit BBQ on the north side of A-town.

Bulldog_12
12-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Billy's Bar-b-que on the north side of Jasper. Its awesome!

Old Green
12-14-2004, 12:48 AM
You need to try KREUTZ BBQ in Lockhart.

Old Dog
12-14-2004, 12:50 AM
Cooper's in Llano, TX

LALK
12-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Cooper's in Llano, TX

agreed

Jason1725
12-14-2004, 12:58 AM
IMO, it would have to be Harold's Pit BBQ on the north side of A-town.

I agree 100%, I would go there right now if I could. that place is awesome.

rockdale80
12-14-2004, 01:05 AM
How about No Teeth BBQ in Rockdale Texas....has been reviewed many times as one of the best in the state...

CHS_CG
12-14-2004, 01:41 AM
I dont remember the name of it all i know is we used to alway stop at it on the way back from Band trips from Schlitterbahn on the way back to Caldwell. I believe its in bastrop. One of my band Directos loves that place... grr i cant think of it for the life of me!

rockdale80
12-14-2004, 01:52 AM
i think it is longhorn bbq...pretty good stuff

LWFH
12-14-2004, 01:57 AM
It has been years since I've been there, but Joe Cotten's in Robstown was one of my favorites. My dad was a helicopter pilot for an oil & gas company and whenever he was going south to patrol pipeline he would land at Joe Cotten's. Those ribs were great even re-heated. I would go with him every chance I got, and of course the food was even better hot off the pit.

Adidas410s
12-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by LALK
agreed

Word...

District303aPastPlayer
12-14-2004, 02:36 AM
Cottens

LWFH
12-14-2004, 03:19 AM
Sorry, you are right, it is Cotten's, not Cotton's. Thanks.

Pudlugger
12-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
How about No Teeth BBQ in Rockdale Texas....has been reviewed many times as one of the best in the state...

LOL! That reminds me of a great Bar B Que place in Los Angeles (Compton actually): Leo's Bar B Que "Don't need no teeth to eat my beef." Used to laugh when I heard that on the radio. Great beef ribs too. That place in Elgin is good and so is Cartwright's in Bastrop.

texasjeremy
12-14-2004, 08:32 AM
Shep's in Palestine

rockdale80
12-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
LOL! That reminds me of a great Bar B Que place in Los Angeles (Compton actually): Leo's Bar B Que "Don't need no teeth to eat my beef." Used to laugh when I heard that on the radio. Great beef ribs too. That place in Elgin is good and so is Cartwright's in Bastrop.

If I knew nothing about the place I would eat there because of the name......

Chief Woodman
12-14-2004, 08:36 AM
The hard eight in Stephenville near the airport. It is good enough that folks fly into the airport from the 5 state area and ride a golf cart from there to eat. From In Texas, folks come from just about every city and town that has a small airport.

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Cooper's in Llano.
Mike's in Liberty Hill.
Stubb's in Lubbock (if it's still open...not sure).

pirate44
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
went to Stubb's in Austin last month. i thought i was in for a treat, but it really wasnt much to brag about. if you happen to be downtown and you're hungry, its ok, but dont go out of your way.
my choice would be Cottens in Robstown.

LH Panther Mom
12-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
went to Stubb's in Austin last month. i thought i was in for a treat, but it really wasnt much to brag about. if you happen to be downtown and you're hungry, its ok, but dont go out of your way.
my choice would be Cottens in Robstown.

Stubb's in Austin has never been close to what the one in Lubbock is. I was disappointed with it as well. :(

spiveyrat
12-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/28/sunday/main565492.shtml) in Huntsville. Been there, j_dog?

easttexan1
12-14-2004, 09:22 AM
City Market in Luling is pretty darned good.

RiverRatDad
12-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Iron Works in Austin used to have great ribs, but it has been a while since I was there.
Hinze's in Wharton has pretty good Q all the way around. And they have slap yo Mama pies for dessert.

Ranger Mom
12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
In Midland it's KD's BBQ....owned and operated by a Greenwood Family!!:D

pirate44
12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
ok, i cant stand not being able to post this resteraunt just because it's a "chain". there are only 7 or 8 locations so i dont consider it as a chain. The County Line is my favorite BBQ place(even better than Cotten's). And one of my favorite places to eat overall. It's a little pricey, but i think worth it. Call it sacrilige to true bbq lovers, but The County Line is my favorite :p

44INAROW
12-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by easttexan1
City Market in Luling is pretty darned good.

you betcha.. everytime we play football, basketball or baseball in Luling, we stop and get ribs - Kruez's or however you spell it in Lockhart is good too. Love those hunks of room temperature cheese too :)

pirate4state
12-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Church of the Holy Smoke (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/28/sunday/main565492.shtml) in Huntsville. Been there, j_dog? :clap: I have, I have!! Good Stuffff :)

Pirate44 I also like County Line! :thumbsup: Then there was this place a friend took me to on the outskirts of Austin. I can not remember the name of it, but it was really, really good! The "pit" was inside (I think) with a screen around it??? I'm getting old...:(
I can't remember :doh:

pirate44
12-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:clap: I have, I have!! Good Stuffff :)

Pirate44 I also like County Line! :thumbsup: Then there was this place a friend took me to on the outskirts of Austin. I can not remember the name of it, but it was really, really good! The "pit" was inside (I think) with a screen around it??? I'm getting old...:(
i remember seeing that place on the food network. looked really good:D

CheerMom
12-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Austin's BBQ in Eagle Lake is the best. It has been listed in Texas Monthly more than once.
I've eaten at the City Market in Luling and was disappointed.

RiverRatDad
12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
You are so right Cheer Mom. We stop there on the way to deer camp.

big daddy russ
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Cotten's is good, but the original Mac's over in Gregory is much better. I know it's become a chain, but all four or five places are owned by family members or good friends that helped start up the original. Their meat is more tender, especially later in the day (Cotten's meat is best if you get it between noon and six).

But the best place I know of is Charlie's BBQ in Ingleside. He's been there forever, but he's slowed down in the past 15 years or so. It's only open from 11-3 on weekdays, and it's a little hole-in-the wall place back in a little residential neighborhood (you have to know where you're going to get there), but the BBQ is better than even Kreutz'. APPantherFan and IHStangFan may know what I'm talking about... that place is so awesome.

00Sinker
12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Ruthy's bbq in Navasota is like tops in the state

scrub c
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
The Church of the Immaculate Rib in
HUNTSVILLE TEXAS
I think it is Mt Zion or something like that.

vet93
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Cooper's in Llano
Smitty's in Brownwood (lots better than Underwoods except they don't have rolls and cobbler:( ).

spiveyrat
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
The Church of the Immaculate Rib in
HUNTSVILLE TEXAS
I think it is Mt Zion or something like that.

For those who don't know, this is the same place I mentioned earlier. I don't know if it has an "official name". I do believe that the church there is Mt Zion, though.

pirate4state
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
For those who don't know, this is the same place I mentioned earlier. I don't know if it has an "official name". I do believe that the church there is Mt Zion, though. The Church is the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church. I think the locals just call it good eatin'. :D

AP Panther Fan
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Cotten's is good, but the original Mac's over in Gregory is much better. I know it's become a chain, but all four or five places are owned by family members or good friends that helped start up the original. Their meat is more tender, especially later in the day (Cotten's meat is best if you get it between noon and six).

But the best place I know of is Charlie's BBQ in Ingleside. He's been there forever, but he's slowed down in the past 15 years or so. It's only open from 11-3 on weekdays, and it's a little hole-in-the wall place back in a little residential neighborhood (you have to know where you're going to get there), but the BBQ is better than even Kreutz'. APPantherFan and IHStangFan may know what I'm talking about... that place is so awesome.

WOW! I didn't realize he was still alive! He was in business back when I was a kid (he was old then and I am "much" older now). I guess he is still about a block of main street behind Hableutzel's Garage? Great news... thanks for letting me know! Definitely some of the best barbecue around....just be sure to order it to go!:D

Thanks Russ!;)

PurpleFreddy
12-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Angelo's in Fort Worth. Coldest beer around.
Carter's in Longview ... not many places in NE Texas where you can find boudain.

spiveyrat
12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
The Church is the New Zion Missionary Baptist Church. I think the locals just call it good eatin'. :D

Yeah, I was referring to the eatery, not the Church. :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
The hard eight in Stephenville near the airport. It is good enough that folks fly into the airport from the 5 state area and ride a golf cart from there to eat. From In Texas, folks come from just about every city and town that has a small airport.

I have eaten there and it is very good. Free beans too!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2004, 12:13 PM
For those who don't know, this is the same place I mentioned earlier. I don't know if it has an "official name". I do believe that the church there is Mt Zion, though.

I have always heard it called the "Holy Smoke" and it is by far the best BBQ place I have ever eaten at. Much better than the Hard 8 in Stephenville, if you can believe that.

Wish I had a picture of the front of this place! I'll look for one on the web.

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-14-2004, 12:14 PM
im gonna say possom lodge, its a small bbq/truck stop down boatclub road past saginaw, im not sure if any of you have heard of it, 'cept bullfrog_dad, but they catered lake worth's athletic banquets when i was there. man that was good brisket!!! and the ribs, oh dont get me started on the ribs!!

BullFrog Dad
12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
im gonna say possom lodge, its a small bbq/truck stop down boatclub road past saginaw, im not sure if any of you have heard of it, 'cept bullfrog_dad, but they catered lake worth's athletic banquets when i was there. man that was good brisket!!! and the ribs, oh dont get me started on the ribs!! They are GREATNESS! But don't forget Angelo's!

Bull's-eye
12-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Swinging Door in Richmond is very good! It's located south of Brookshire on hwy 359 and just north of hwy 90A.

I heard several people say that the Church in Huntsville is great! Can't wait to go try their BBQ. :D

rhs78
12-14-2004, 12:58 PM
cotten's-robstown
joel's-flantonia

Both are good but the pit in my yard cooks some of the best!!!!!

CHS_CG
12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
oh that BBQ place I was talkin about is called Fuchak's(sp) in Bastrop.

onfirebball05mustang
12-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
You need to try KREUTZ BBQ in Lockhart.

Hooah!! I get to go there in a few weeks! :D

cunbed10
12-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Marljn has a place called Whup's Boomerang Bar B Que and once you eat there you will come back like a boomerang, trust me.
Giddings Texas has a place that has awesome Bar B. Que.

cdlvj
12-14-2004, 04:00 PM
:clap: I have, I have!! Good Stuffff :)

You probably went to the Salt Lick.

cdlvj
12-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Austin 360 article

http://www.austin360.com/xl/content/restaurants/xl/04reviews/04-may/barbecue_side_05-06-04.html

CRHSeagle
12-14-2004, 05:29 PM
There's this one in Azle, not sure what its called, but its North of Lake Worth off of Jacksboro HW.