PDA

View Full Version : Will the No Child Left Behind & Title 1 affect the HS sports scene?

Old Cardinal
12-13-2004, 11:40 PM
As many of you know some schools across TX have been designated by Federal ratings as "in need of improvement" academically. It appears that students caught in those situations that want an environment of better education can go immediately to another school that they feel might help them get ready for college. I am just wondering as this phenomenon is happening will there be enough transfering taking place to deminish some schools into lower classification.
It would appear to me that this is the best piece of federal legislation to be actuated to help serious students to get a better education.

wildstangs
12-13-2004, 11:41 PM
No Child Left Behind needs a MAJOR workover!

lepfan
12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Major overhaul is putting it lightly!!!

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
As many of you know some schools across TX have been designated by Federal ratings as "in need of improvement" academically. It appears that students caught in those situations that want an environment of better education can go immediately to another school that they feel might help them get ready for college. I am just wondering as this phenomenon is happening will there be enough transfering taking place to deminish some schools into lower classification.
It would appear to me that this is the best piece of federal legislation to be actuated to help serious students to get a better education.

It is not near as cut and dry as you are suggesting, and being in need is not grounds to open students to transfer. If the school has been classified as unacceptable for a specific time frame without necessary improvement there is then the possibility of transfer. Even if that happens, neighboring school district will not be required to receive any transfers outside of their boundaries.
It will be interesting to see how this works out. There aren't very many districts who are in danger of losing students for this reason.

AP Panther Fan
12-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I am trying to paste a link to all the info you could ever want to read about the act and how it affects the various ones involved.

http://www.ed.gov/nclb/landing.jhtml

The unspoken seems to be how it will affect athletic programs. Not only re-classifications BUT recruitment by "safe" schools to those found to be "needing improvement or unsafe".

I know school officials have worried about this as well as funding issues over this law for at least the last two - three years. Some measures taken have been looking at putting in additional disciplinary steps ... i.e. instead of sending a student straight from ISS (in school suspension) to AEP (alternative education program). Here in AP, we now have a program in-between those two to try to work with the kids and bring them back in. (I think the new school ratings are, in part, based on the number of referrals to the AEP program.)

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 10:44 AM
I'd be willing to bet most school districts don't want to accept transfers due to the fact that they don't get any tax revenue from those kids parents. If you live out of district, then you pay school taxes in another school district. The state kicks in a little bit of money, but not near enough to pay for every childs education.

AP Panther Fan
12-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'd be willing to bet most school districts don't want to accept transfers due to the fact that they don't get any tax revenue from those kids parents.

Not even the good athletes? :thinking:

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'd be willing to bet most school districts don't want to accept transfers due to the fact that they don't get any tax revenue from those kids parents. If you live out of district, then you pay school taxes in another school district. The state kicks in a little bit of money, but not near enough to pay for every childs education.

Schools can also charge for transfers. If a student is allowed to attend another district by choice, that district will get their allowance. The problem with opening up a district to transfers is the probability of overpopulating the school system. All this is conjecturing at this point because it isn't happening and if something drastic was about to happen the Sups. would be up in arms. NCLB has its weaknesses but it also has some positives as well. Checks and balances usually keep things moving in the right direction and changes don't come overnight. Most states are light years behind where we in Texas are at in the NCLB act. Don't forget it is our Texas cronies who took this legislation to Washington. We are so far ahead of the curve our state looks to gain valuable resources training other states on how to catch up.

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Not even the good athletes? :thinking: I think this may already be happening...cough...Pilot Point...cough...

VWG
12-14-2004, 10:53 PM
I know that 4A Lubbock Estacado was one school that this has affected. Any student can transfer to Lubbock High, Coronado, Monterey, etc....

Hupernikomen
12-15-2004, 01:03 AM
there are district that are open for transfer within the district with some restrictions. Beaumont comes to mind. That policy has nothing to do with NCLB, and Lubbock may not either.