PDA

View Full Version : Jasper-Gilmer Look Alikes

Bullaholic
12-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Is anybody familiar with enough 3A teams, or any team for that matter, around the state that resemble Jasper or Gilmer in any areas? Similar plays/offenses or defenses?

I've heard 03' Burnet was similar to Gilmer this year. Haven't heard any comparasions for Jasper yet.

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 11:04 PM
This is a pretty basic team. Nothing jumps out at you. Just a good all around team with very few weaknesses. Special teams aren't the greatest, but everything is pretty solid. When it all clicks and is pretty to watch.

Bullaholic
12-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
This is a pretty basic team. Nothing jumps out at you. Just a good all around team with very few weaknesses. Special teams aren't the greatest, but everything is pretty solid. When it all clicks and is pretty to watch.

Thanks Huper--I think you have been very honest and yet supportive in all of your posts on Jasper. Thanks.

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
TY. Don't get me wrong though, Jasper has as much talent as anyone in 3A. We just don't have any superstars this year. No doubt 3 or 4 of the seniors will get some kind of scholarship probably not at D-I schools.

Bullaholic
12-13-2004, 11:30 PM
I understand what you are saying, Huper. I think Abilene-Wylie was a lot like that---their consistent, excellent execution on offense and their "savvy" on defense showed what 11 committed guys doing their job can do in the face of greater talent in some games.

Bellville22
12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Saw Jasper for the first time the other day. Same ol' Jasper, just good athletes all around and a solid team. They don't do anything fancy, probably don't run more than 8 or 10 plays, just execute, get after you, and let their athletes make plays.

I have a feeling Jasper is in for a tough game Saturday, as they'll run into a Gilmer team who can match their athletes. Saw an athletic team in Marlin, but they were able to overpower the Bulldogs from what I hear. I've heard this Gilmer team is amazing. I'm anxious to see how Jasper defends the pass, and contains Manuel Johnson.

I was blown away when I saw Atlanta last year. Some pretty reliable sources who are friends of mine and have seen Gilmer play tell me that the Buckeyes are on that level. If that's the case, I don't think Jasper can play with them. Again, this is based on seeing Jasper one time and word of mouth on Gilmer, so don't buy too much into my thoughts. Hope I'm wrong, hope I see a great game!

PPHSfan
12-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Gilmer looks like Atlanta last year.

Only Better.

LST_Terry
12-14-2004, 12:04 AM
I do not think this year;s Gilmer team is better than last year's Atlanta team..remember it is Atlanta that knocked Gilmer out.

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 09:51 AM
what was the score of that game anyways?

duckbutter
12-14-2004, 09:54 AM
I haven't seen Gilmer this yr but last years Atlanta team was one of the best I have seen in any classification.

nutcrackin
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
there is something to be said about senior leadership. Last year Atlanta was led by an unbelievable group of talented seniors. Gilmer this year is led by an unbelievable group of seniors with three already committed to going D1. The difference i think is the sophisticated offense Gilmer runs. It exploits a team's weakness on every play. our coach audibles and will attack your weakness on every play according to who is covering whom. it is all about percentages and advantages....same athlete caliber as Atlanta but better offensive attack to utilize the talent.

Bellville22
12-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter
I haven't seen Gilmer this yr but last years Atlanta team was one of the best I have seen in any classification.

I agree.

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Gilmer looks like Atlanta last year.

Only Better. The same things were being said about Burnet last year. Somebody even compared Gilmer to the 83 Daingerfield team. I wouldn't go there...not by a long shot.

j_dog
12-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
....I've heard 03' Burnet was similar to Gilmer this year. ....
I saw Gilmer two weeks ago. I didn't see Burnet last year, but I saw them whip Jasper two years ago. Yes, to me Gilmer looks very similar to that team. I can tell you exactly who Jasper looks like to me. They are VERY much like the Jasper team last year that came within a whisker of upsetting Burnet in the Semi-Finals when nobody gave them a chance. I think Harris had Jasper as 20 point underdogs. I think the only difference for Jasper this year is that they are a little bit faster, a little bit bigger, and a little bit stronger than last year and have 15 more games of experience under their belt. That is just my opinion. Gilmer may win Saturday, but I think they will know they were in a war. :)