PDA

View Full Version : Mia Hamm Top Ten

Green Ranger
12-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Alright, I normally agree with the Top Ten on Sportcenter. This morning showed that soccer doesnt have the respect it should have. There was highlights of mens National Championship which was nice. But Mia in her final game making two assist was number ten. There are numerous things that Mia Hamm helped do, especially break through the barrier of Title 9. Two gold medals, two world cup championships I think deserves better than a number 10 spot on the Top Ten spot. Just my thoughts of someone who did so much for a sport. In my books, Mia is Number 1.

Phil C
12-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Who won the other awards (1 - 9) and was it for careers or for the 2004 year?

District303aPastPlayer
12-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Who won the other awards (1 - 9) and was it for careers or for the 2004 year?

it was the daily top 10

sahen
12-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Green Ranger
There are numerous things that Mia Hamm helped do, especially break through the barrier of Title 9.

she deserved higher, but there are many people that dont agree with title 9....its a stupid rule...i enjoy women's sports but the title 9 rule needs to be amended or abolished...

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 12:56 PM
unless you have a daughter that hopes to gets a chance to play a sport in high school or college, or have equal access to educational opportunities offered to males.

Signed into law by President Richard Nixon, June 23, 1972. Prohibits sex discrimination in any education program or activity, within an institution receiving any type of Federal financial assistance.

I think the girls deserve to have an equal share of the tax-payers money to assist them in sports, education, etc...

Do lawyers take this to far?? Of course.

sahen
12-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
unless you have a daughter that hopes to gets a chance to play a sport in high school or college, or have equal access to educational opportunities offered to males.

Signed into law by President Richard Nixon, June 23, 1972. Prohibits sex discrimination in any education program or activity, within an institution receiving any type of Federal financial assistance.

I think the girls deserve to have an equal share of the tax-payers money to assist them in sports, education, etc...

Do lawyers take this to far?? Of course.

yes i didnt mean they shouldnt get an equal chance...i meant the extreme the NCAA has taken it to is ridiculous...

Green Ranger
12-13-2004, 01:49 PM
I am curious as to what extreme you are talking about the NCAA taking things to?

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I think title as it is now isn't quite fair, we went from one extreme where women were not given equal rights to the extreme where we discriminate against mens programs so that women have rights. You cannot take something away from men just to appease the women. Angelo State's baseball program was dismantled in 1973 because of title 9, we just got the program back and it will be playing it's first season this spring. We've had a softball program since then as well as womens soccer but no mens soccer. At a small university like this we can't afford to have all sports so to appease the law makers we do away with mens. Is that justice?

Green Ranger
12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Being an ASU Grad, and being as close as I was to sports, ASU is going fine with Title 9. Softball just came to ASU not more than 5-6 years agon and soccer shortly before that. Title 9 does not discriminate against anything. If there are equal number of male and female athletes in sports there is no problem. And in regards to mens soccer, no they do not but the club team is basically part of the school as well as the Rugby team which has gone to state before in its short life.

Roll'em up
12-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Where title 9 can really be felt is at many high schools across texas and probably other states. Let me give you an example of how rediculous this really gets. I know of High School AD's that have had to tell their baseball coach's to quite improving their baseball fields because the girls softball coach wasn't willing to put in the work to improve hers. Things such as building batting cages, dugouts, storage areas, bullpens, and etc. These baseball coaches worked their hind ends off with fundraisers, their own money and their own time to give their kids the best possible field and workout areas possible. Then the AD gets told by the administration that improvements must stop if the same isn't going to be done for the girls. But the administration will not tell the softball coach to get off of her butt and go to work for her program.
I understand the purpose of title 9, but it really is rediculous that a boys coach cannot make improvements to his facility, because a girls coach isn't willing to do the same.

sahen
12-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Green Ranger
I am curious as to what extreme you are talking about the NCAA taking things to?

well all i know is that the NCAA forced Baylor to add another women's sport this past year cause someone said they werent being represented equally....well u guess it the whiner got their sport, now Baylor has a Women's Equestrian team....that isnt expensive (sarcasm), and how much money does that bring into the school?....talk about a huge money pit, give me a break...just have equal number of sports for guys and girls...since there r more girls at baylor than guys we have to have more girls sports which is ridiculous if u ask me...there are now 9 girls sports at baylor and 7 guys...having to add equestrian was ridiculous but because of title 9 NCAA made us...

also on a side note it wasnt like these people didnt have a team before hand, they had a club level squad they just got pissy and wanted to be promoted to NCAA level my guess is so the school had to foot some of their bill....not that i'd know that just saying that thats the way it seems to me...of course if i was the AD when the equestrian team appealed and the NCAA said we had to add another woman's team i wouldve added lacrose or rugby or something like that, not give the team that appealed the pleasure of winning out...