PDA

View Full Version : Snyder - Gilmer article

wildstangs
12-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Turnovers end Snyder's run in playoffs
By Troy Shockley / Reporter-News Staff Writer
December 11, 2004

IRVING — What got the Snyder Tiger there worked well enough to win.

What doomed them to lose, however, was something noticeably absent from all their previous playoff wins: turnovers.

Despite a strong night from Snyder High School’s big three, the Tigers’ run to the state championship was halted by Gilmer High School on Saturday, 53-20 at Irving’s Texas Stadium in the Class 3A Division II state semifinal.

Running back Dee Walker finished the night with 140 yards on 28 carries. Quarterback Dustyn Williams connected with Lico Castillo five times for 97 yards and two touchdowns. Much of those positive gains were nullified, however, as the Tigers committed seven turnovers — four of them in the first half, with all of those leading to Buckeye touchdowns.

"We just had too many turnovers," said senior lineman Ricky McNatt. "I mean, the first (drive) of the game, we fumble ... it just started going downhill for us after that."

That fumble did, indeed, start the Tigers’ slide into a blowout. After Gilmer’s Jeremy Skinner returned the opening kickoff to the Snyder 22-yard line, Snyder’s defense stood strong, holding the opposition to just three points.

On the ensuing possession, however, Snyder ran Walker on the first play for a loss of three, pinning the Tigers on their own 8-yard line. A botched handoff, then, put the ball on the turf and Gilmer recovered in the end zone. After missing the extra point, the Buckeyes were up, 9-0 after just more than two minutes had come off the clock.

Snyder then put together a strong drive, going 59 yards in 13 plays for six, when Walker finished the drive on a 3-yard run. Gilmer answered with a two-play drive, though, covering 84 yards to pull farther ahead, 15-6. The nine-point deficit was the closest the Tigers would come the rest of the night. The Buckeyes went into the locker room up 46-20 and, while the Snyder defense played a much better second half, the offense wasn’t able to manage any points on the tough Gilmer squad.

"We came out ... man, I don’t know," said McNatt. "We’ve just got to eliminate those turnovers if we’re going to win.

"We beat Wylie, and they’re the Division I champs. That just shows that if we come out and do what we can do, we can beat anybody. We could have beaten this team."

Gilmer senior quarterback Manuel Johnson finished his impressive night with 332 yards and two interceptions. He also tossed four touchdowns in the win. His favorite target was Kevin Hollis, who finished with 103 yards on nine catches.

Senior fullback and linebacker Israel Torrez said while he is obviously disappointed at the way the Tigers’ season ended, he is confident those left after graduation will make good where this year’s team faltered.

"It’s up to these juniors now," Torrez said. "We worked harder than any team that had ever been here, and we gave it everything we had.

"Next year," he said motioning to the celebration on the Buckeyes’ sideline, "they will be that team. Next year, they’ll be the state champs."

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Well there are a bunch of errors in this article.

For starters the score was 39-20 at the half not 46-20. And unless I was at a different game last night, Gilmer turned the ball over several times too. The difference in the game was Gilmer was too fast, too athletic, and just too dang good for Snyder.

Anyone who says any different is probably a homer.

crimson blood
12-12-2004, 07:28 PM
how many t/o's did gilmer give up?

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Oh and by the way.

Gilmer would beat Cuero and Wylie this year too. Snyder never had a chance in this game. If they took a week off and started up play again going 8 quarters, the score would be 106 to 40.:D

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by crimson blood
how many t/o's did gilmer give up?

They gave up two that I remember right off of the top of my head that were ran back inside Gilmers 30. One strip on Snyder's five yard line that was somehow called an interception, even though the pass had been caught at the 20 and ran to the five before being stripped. Another fumble that was picked up and ran back for about fifty yards, and a couple of interceptions that I can think of. I will try and find a box score. But trust me when I tell you this. Turnovers were NOT the difference in this game.

crimson blood
12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
o, i trust ya, its just that every time i've watched the bulldogs win the t/o war it has resulted in a major impact on the scoreboard

gobbler grad
12-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Oh and by the way.

Gilmer would beat Cuero and Wylie this year too. Snyder never had a chance in this game. If they took a week off and started up play again going 8 quarters, the score would be 106 to 40.:D

I would love to see this one...it would be a good game...maybe next year

TOPS1435
12-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Gilmer had 5 fumbles and an interceptionl.

Snyder had 3 fumbles and 3 interceptions.

In addition to the first fumble which Gilmer covered for its first touchdown, Gilmer scored four times in the first half off Snyder turnovers.

The one interception which Klaxon grabbed at the Snyder 5 was followed by a Gilmer interception at Snyder's 44 and was run back to the Tigers' 17. That was with 3:32 in the second period. Gilmer was ahead 31-14 when the interception occured.

It took the Buckeyes 5 plays before they converted that interception into more points, 39-14.

Castillo, an excellent receiver, caught a touchdown pass as time ran out on the half for the last of Snyders points. It was 39-20 at the half.

At that point the turnovers were Gilmer 2 Snyder 4.

Gilmer did get sloppy in the second half when you look at four fumbles, one of which was ripped out of a receiver's hands as he had gotten inside the Snyder 10. That will give the coaches something to work on with the players this week.

The net result is: Gilmer turnover 6 Snyner turnover 6

Gilmer points off turnovers= 28 after 2 fumbles, 2 interceptions

Points in 2nd half Gilmer 14 Snyder 0.

Snyder points after a Gilmer turnover=0.

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 10:44 PM
6 turnorvers each.

Turnovers were not the difference.

Execution AFTER the turnovers was the difference.

Bottom Line.

Gilmer was just too much for Snyder.

crimson blood
12-12-2004, 11:00 PM
if gilmer turns it 6 times this week the state crown will have pine needles on it

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by crimson blood
if gilmer turns it 6 times this week the state crown will have pine needles on it

LOL, Both of these teams are from East Texas. They are not that far apart. :p

LST_Terry
12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Look most of Gilmer's TO were after the game really had been decided, two of them were by a very talented guy who usally is not handling the ball alot.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Gilmer was by far the better team. Period.

Matthew328
12-13-2004, 01:58 PM
The article comes from a view of the Abilene paper so there is a little spin in it.....from all accounts of the game if Snyder and Gilmer play 10 times Snyder would be lucky to win 1......and I also think Gilmer or Jasper would easily handle Wylie or Cuero for that matter....

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 03:12 PM
I dunno about Jasper handling Wylie or Cuero. Those guys sound like they are pretty good. We are barely squeaking by everyone we play and have been doing that for 2 years now...just didn't squeak well enough against Burnet last year. I would have to say that Jasper could give them a good game. I am hoping that no one in 3A can handle us.

Bulldog_12
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
The article comes from a view of the Abilene paper so there is a little spin in it.....from all accounts of the game if Snyder and Gilmer play 10 times Snyder would be lucky to win 1......and I also think Gilmer or Jasper would easily handle Wylie or Cuero for that matter....

That reminds me of a quote from the movie, The Little Giants. When they are in the locker room the coach says, "The Cowboys may beat you 99 times out of 100, but that still leavse one time." Then all the players rally wround the coach and win the game. I love that movie.