PDA

View Full Version : SLPYBEAR WEEKLY PICK'EM - Week 17 - 3A DII State Final edition - Gilmer vs. Jasper

slpybear the bullfan
12-12-2004, 06:04 PM
This Week's Pick 'em... DII STATE FINAL EDITION

One week. Un Semana. The final week for the Slpybear 2004 Weekly Pick'em. 17 weeks of threads, characters, ROMs, trash talking, T-Shirts, good friends, and misc. other sundry items has come down to this... Jasper and Gilmer squaring off for all the marbles in the last 3A game of the year.

Both teams have been discussed a lot since the beginning of the year. Both teams have a lot of history to look back upon. Both teams will be looking to win...

For the last time this season... tell us who you think will win it all!

Last Week's Pick'em...

Last week we saw a close contest on the field at Waco and also on the pick'em. The Abilene Wyle Bulldogs defeated the Cuero Gobblers, 17-14. On the pick'em, they garnered 48 of 101 votes, 47.5%... and leaving us at 53.2% for the year.

Well, only one more week to raise that average...

2004 Season Results...

(Click on a Week to be taken to that thread...)

Week 16 - Abilene Wylie W vs. Cuero - 48 of 101 - 47.5% Week 16 - 53.2% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23995)
Week 15 - Snyder W vs. Sweetwater - 17 of 63 - 26.9% Week 15 - 53.2% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23715)
Week 14 - Cuero W vs. Sinton - 36 of 79 - 45.5% Week 14 - 55.7% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23466)
Week 13 - Decatur W vs. Gainesville - 58 of 75 - 77.3% Week 13 - 56.7% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23026)
Week 12 - Jasper W vs. Diboll - 52 of 72 - 72% Week 12 - 55.9% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22534)
Week 11 - Rice Cons. vs. Bellville W - 16 of 67 - 23.8% Week 11 - 54.2% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22083)
Week 10 - Abiliene Wylie vs. Snyder W - 6 of 52 - 11.5% Week 10 - 57.6% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21584)
Week 9 - Bridgeport vs. Decatur W - 43 of 56 - 76.7% Week 9 - 62% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21164)
Week 8 - Southlake Carroll W vs. Denton Ryan - 52 of 61 - 85.2% week 8 - 60.3% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20641)
Week 7 - Cameron W vs. Caldwell - 27 of 56 - 48.2% week 7 - 56.7% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20217)
Week 6 - Graham vs. Marlin W - 36 of 62 - 58% week 6 - 58.0% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19652)
Week 5 - Cuero W vs. Sinton - 50 of 89 - 56% week 5 - 58.0% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19244)
Week 4 - Liberty Hill W vs. Manor - 34 of 53 - 64.1% week 4 - 58.8% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18803)
Week 3 - Decatur W vs. Gainesville - 31 of 58 - 53.4% week 3 - 57.1% cumlative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18430)
Week 2 - Liberty Hill vs. Burnet W - 32 of 48 - 66.6% week 2 - 59% cumlative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18151)
Week 1 - Jasper W vs. WOS - 33 of 62 - 53% week 1 - 53% cumulative YTD (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17853)

cat dog horse
12-12-2004, 08:07 PM
28-17 gilmer

gobbler grad
12-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Gilmer has great qb and lot of speed on offense... Jasper is fast, but don't think they can hang...42- 20 Buckeyes

VWG
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Gotta go with Gilmer. Last two games they've been unstoppable.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 11:25 PM
I think we will control the line of scrimmage and will be able to cover Gilmer enough to pull it out...tight game and lower scoring that what most imagine..

Jasper 27 Gilmer 21

I am 6 for 6 on these slpybear polls..I picked wylie and snyder when hardly anyone else would...jasper is undefeated when featured in a slpybear poll...and jody is cheering for gilmer...it is in the bag :D

j_dog
12-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
........I am 6 for 6 on these slpybear polls..I picked wylie and snyder when hardly anyone else would...jasper is undefeated when featured in a slpybear poll...and jody is cheering for gilmer...it is in the bag :D
Yeah, how is Gilmer going to counter either of these facts? :)

OldSkool1
12-12-2004, 11:44 PM
just guessing and going with jasper

LALK
12-13-2004, 12:39 AM
don't know much about either of these teams...so don't get on my case...only a guess

35-14 gilmer

Port_town_texas
12-13-2004, 01:27 AM
Jasper by 3 TD's. Moye and Patton WILL go off in this game. along with Gilder.

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Yeah, how is Gilmer going to counter either of these facts? :)

it is a done deal...the jinx is for real...

chubbed_up
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
go jasper

MagicMan
12-13-2004, 09:08 PM
go jasper

jdog93
12-14-2004, 05:45 PM
GO JASPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 08:01 PM
GO JASPER!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :)

j_dog
12-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
GO JASPER!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :)
Thank you! We'll fight hard for you! :)

Richard Tucker
12-16-2004, 11:29 AM
If I am wrong, I will be here early Monday a.m. to admit it. But this game will be Gilmer in a walk. Most of you talking have not seen an offense or a GROUP of athletes running it like this team EVER! Gilmer will score at least 50 and Jasper will be taken out of their running game early to play catch up, which is exactly into Gilmer's hands. Gilmer's defense is #1 in the state according to the Longview News Journal. They shut down Snyder in the second half. Their offense put 60 on the board and almost 700 yards of offense against the #2 defense in the state (Tatum). Like I said, if I am wrong, I will sing your praises Monday. I hope you people talking up jasper will be here Monday to admit your errors if I am right!

JasperDog94
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Pretty bold talk from a rookie. We'll just have to wait and see. BTW - I'd put Jasper's points allowed in the playoffs up against Gilmer's any day. It's not about how many yards you give up. It's all about how many points you give up.

gtownballer
12-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Gilmer by 2 TD's if Jasper defense plays a good game, if not, it could be worse!

Richard Tucker
12-16-2004, 01:09 PM
You are right about points on the board vs. yards. BTW, how many points on the board has Jasper averaged during the playoffs?

Hupernikomen
12-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Jasper is in the state finals and what has happened before now doesn't mean diddly...Gilmer is good but is not close to some offenses I have seen in the past. Definitely one of the best 3A offenses I have seen though.

Richard Tucker
12-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Well, it's going to be fun! See you in Nako..., Nacod..., Nacko...,
Nacocd......See you at SFA!

JHS_c/o_06'
12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Big words....but your right...it will be a good game....just...don't bet the house on Gilmer....you'll probly end up homeless.

And i would like to apologize to the good people from Burnet, because i know now how you felt two years ago listening to us ramble how we were going to shut you out. You knew the truth, just like i know the truth right now. And while i'm on the subject of Burnet, i would have to say that after the last two dissapointments by your hands, i was kinda bitter towards your team/town. But that all changed last weekend. Because i saw a big green sign that said, Good Luck Jasper From Burnet. I saw that, and i was in awe. I would like to thank all the burent people who supported/cheered on Jasper. And i hope someday our teams can play again. Thanks yall.

But yeah, having said that, 48-24 Jasper, fate has a twisted sense of humor sometimes, maybe thats why we lost 48-24 against burnet 2 years ago. But i will be here sunday if im wrong.

j_dog
12-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
...But yeah, having said that, 48-24 Jasper, fate has a twisted sense of humor sometimes, maybe thats why we lost 48-24 against burnet 2 years ago. ....
Hey, it wasn't THAT bad! :D I think the final score was 46-28. But the Dogs learned. Last year it was only a 7 point loss in the final seconds. :)

Well, Gilmer folks have made it clear that we are going to be fighting with a very short stick. But I say, hit 'em with the stick anyway. Go Dogs!! :)

JHS_c/o_06'
12-16-2004, 10:21 PM
Well...whatever the our final score against burnet was 2 years ago, is what its gonna be this saturday night, except in Jasper's favor.

Well....i think that the people from gilmer are gonna find out that the short stick that we have is really an ASP, and with a little force, its gonna get ALOT bigger.

(for those of you who dont know what an asp is, an asp is a metal retractable baton that the police use, its usually compact, 6" or so and fits on their belt, but when you swing it...the pices come out and its about 21")

j_dog
12-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Richard Tucker
...... Most of you talking have not seen an offense or a GROUP of athletes running it like this team EVER! ...
Gilmer will score at least 50 and Jasper will be taken out of their running game early to play catch up, which is exactly into Gilmer's hands. ....
Well I am NOT one of those posters you are talking about who has not seen an offense or group like Gilmer. I saw Gilmer play Tatum two weeks ago. :) Honestly, I didn't see much defense from either side.

And your point about taking Jasper out of its running game; Jasper can score faster with its running game than most teams can by passing. And they WILL be in a spread formation also. They can do a bit of passing from that themselves. They just usually do not have to.

I am so excited to see this game Saturday and watch how the matchups and coaching strategies unfold. :) I still say it will be a tightly fought game with Jasper pulling it out at the end. We'll see on Saturday. Good luck to both teams! :)

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2004, 07:18 AM
And your point about taking Jasper out of its running game; Jasper can score faster with its running game than most teams can by passing.

I wonder if any of the Gilmer coaches saw the first 3:28 of our game last week? :eek: 1 offensive play for Jasper & two TD's. :eek: Those two boys are FAST! (It's a good thing we ate up the rest of that time getting our 1 TD. :D)

spiveyrat
12-17-2004, 08:48 AM
If I am wrong, I will be here early Monday a.m. to admit it. But this game will be Gilmer in a walk. Most of you talking have not seen an offense or a GROUP of athletes running it like this team EVER! Gilmer will score at least 50 and Jasper will be taken out of their running game early to play catch up, which is exactly into Gilmer's hands. Gilmer's defense is #1 in the state according to the Longview News Journal. They shut down Snyder in the second half. Their offense put 60 on the board and almost 700 yards of offense against the #2 defense in the state (Tatum). Like I said, if I am wrong, I will sing your praises Monday. I hope you people talking up jasper will be here Monday to admit your errors if I am right!

Is it an "error" to believe in your team?

j_dog
12-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I wonder if any of the Gilmer coaches saw the first 3:28 of our game last week? :eek: 1 offensive play for Jasper & two TD's. :eek: Those two boys are FAST! (It's a good thing we ate up the rest of that time getting our 1 TD. :D)
Thank you LH Panther Mom. And three offensive plays and Jasper had 21 points. And all with zero passes. And it was THREE different players! :) You must have blinked and missed that third TD. :D

Talk about an entertaining game, that was truly one. Of course, some of us almost had heart failure! :D

j_dog
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Is it an "error" to believe in your team?
Apparently it is. :D

JHS_c/o_06'
12-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Most of you talking have not seen an offense or a GROUP of athletes running it like this team EVER!

You obviously didnt see Burnet play the last two years did you?

LH Panther Mom
12-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Thank you LH Panther Mom. And three offensive plays and Jasper had 21 points. And all with zero passes. And it was THREE different players! :) You must have blinked and missed that third TD. :D

Talk about an entertaining game, that was truly one. Of course, some of us almost had heart failure! :D

No, I didn't miss the third TD. But if I had, it wouldn't have been because I blinked, but because I covered my eyes. ;)

Raider Nurse
12-18-2004, 10:07 AM
GO DAWGS!!!! WIN IT ALL!!!!!!:clap:

jasper_dawgs
12-18-2004, 10:11 AM
I have supported "The DAWGS " this far. I gotta go all th' way with "em GO DAWGS :clap:

Richard Tucker
12-20-2004, 10:56 AM
OK guys! Here I am admitting this game was no "walk." Jasper deserves tons of credit. There was no quit in that team when they got down 21 early in the third quarter. Jasper made the adjustments at halftime that countered most of Gilmer's. However, 2 points is just as good as 20. Buckeyes have the ring. I do believe though that with Moye at the controls, Jasper is THE team to beat next year. Probable should be preseason #1. Great game. Two great teams. Two great coaches. I hope we can meet again next year.

YBS
12-20-2004, 11:06 AM
OK guys! Here I am admitting this game was no "walk." Jasper deserves tons of credit. There was no quit in that team when they got down 21 early in the third quarter. Jasper made the adjustments at halftime that countered most of Gilmer's. However, 2 points is just as good as 20. Buckeyes have the ring. I do believe though that with Moye at the controls, Jasper is THE team to beat next year. Probable should be preseason #1. Great game. Two great teams. Two great coaches. I hope we can meet again next year.

I'd like to make my adjustments to that statement. Two EXCELLENT teams, one great vs. one good coaching staff, a whole LOTTA speed, and one team that had more plays go their way. 2 points is NOT good as 20...we left about 4 points laying around the field after the game was over due to our inability to convert or someone's inability to see us convert, but i'll leave that one alone. Straight up you got the W and earned it. Congrats. :clap:

Hupernikomen
12-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the compliments I guess..congrats on your 2 is as good as 20 state championship and the rings as you put it.

spiveyrat
12-21-2004, 10:26 AM

It was a hell of a game. I'm just happy that my team was a part of it. As for #1 next year... I hope they give it to someone else. We'd rather be the underdogs! :D