PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Cardinals

BigRed01
08-16-2002, 03:45 AM
I think Bridge City may be in better shape than even last years Semi Final run, before we met a great Sinton team. Bridge City got really lucky this year that we ended up in what can be disputed as the weakest district in 3A. We play good teams to start the season, but we out distance our own district so much that injuries "should" be at a minimum. Most teams that go deep into the playoffs, it boils down to who is hurt at the end of the year. If we can get by the hard teams in the beginning, learning from quality teams, we should pretty much ease through our own district to be pretty healthy in the post season. Any comments?

sinton66
08-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Don't underestimate any team, ya never know. Hopefully they won't be "gunning" for you because of last season.
Here's wishing the Cardinals the best of luck this season! If you've never seen a wing-T before, you're gonna LOVE it! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 16, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
08-16-2002, 11:20 AM
A good coach can turn an easier schedule a positive thing. Creates a winning habbit. Players obviously like to win and sometimes a pre district schedule can be so hard on a team they will lose confidence. Other teams turn playing harder teams into a positive. Prepares them better. I guess what I am trying to say is that a good coach is the key. Wow I could have said that in one sentence. Oh well. Two weeks. Actually there are a few games on the 29th, so only 13 days.

Old Cardinal
08-16-2002, 11:56 AM
To Big Red 01, Welcome to the message board! I would hardily agree with both your and Eye of the Tiger's comments. A good Coach can make it better for post season, by developing his talent during the season. I watched BC run light fleet backs right up the middle against both good and bad 9 & 10 man lines last year. Consequently, by the time he played Sinton he was playing with a bunch of cripples and subs. That's not to say that they could handle a team like Sinton, but they would have been at least able to compete a little. When you are faced with a 10 man line consistently like Vidor, Newton and Sinton put against them and you don't attempt to relieve the pressure-with a little balance-them you get all of your kids banged up a bit. I think that Coach Tarver has demonstrated a balanced approached to the game and can make logical adjustments. I felt so sorry for the BC offensive linemen, when there is a 10 man front on defense-just who do you block? I look for a lot of offensive stars to have low stats because they will be just covering defensive secondary positions and letting some Juniors develop skills against the weaker of the District foes. Then come post season, they will have a fairly healthy cohesive bunch that can bloody your nose from any position.

Old Cardinal
08-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Bridge City scrimmages Cleveland at 7:00 PM Sat. at BC. Cleveland opens against three 4A teams in preseason play-Palestine, Conroe Caney Creek, and Willis.....Cleveland is a rough gem, loaded with speed and talent but, thus far, lacking in discipline. I have always said, if Curtis Barbay were to move and Coach Cleveland, they would be a State Championship threat on a regular basis.

BigRed01
08-18-2002, 06:33 AM
Old Card I do agree with your assessment. To defense Bridge City last year was to line up at times 10 men on the line. I don't see that happening this year. I think as soon as Bridge City passes the ball(which if done last year would have initiated the sign of the apocolpyse) alot of teams will have to respect the balanced approach, and then Peebles will really do some damage. If you get those DB's back on there feet, guys that are used to blocking at times anywhere from 8 to 10 men, 5 to 7 we should have no problem with. Old Card from your sources, what have you heard of the Hardin Jefferson program over there? From what I understand they will be the only ones who will push us in the district.

Old Cardinal
08-18-2002, 11:08 AM
That's a tricky question, both H-F and H-J have consistent programs. I think they will play us a good game, but we will win. We have 12 of the best 3th year seasoned Seniors around. If they get the Juniors blocking and tackling at 100% efficiency, then we can have some real playoff hopes.

BigRed01
08-19-2002, 05:22 AM
I think the big test will come next week. I look for Coach Tarver to pick up the pace a little bit for Silsbee. Silsbee should give us an indication of how we will do against the Newtons, and the likes of Sinton. Silsbee has a good bunch this year. I am encouraged by the play of the defense. 8 interceptions is just incredible play. If we can put it on Silsbee (without showing too much of our offense) it will give our boys a big boost of confidence.