PDA

View Full Version : A "typically normal" Jasper team meet a once a decade Gilmer team-- interesting!

Old Cardinal
12-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Well Jasper has a good team again this year and of course a great ongoing building program They struggled to get a third place finish out of a great SE TX football District. That is all water under the bridge now as they play a great one-in-a-lifetime team from Gilmer. Jasper has played a murderous preseason and regular District schedule this season(as with every season) and knows what a big ballgame is all about. In 2002 they went against a good Burnet team and were over-confident enough to try to cover one of the state's best receivers one-on-one; which cost them the ballgame. Since that moment they have had respect for 3A bracket climbers and will come prepared.
Every year with this many Division II teams someone has the luck of the odds and has a host of Division I college prospects and Gilmer has that team this season. It ought to be a doozy of a ball game.
If Jasper loses they will be right back in bracket play next season because of the good development program. It's all on the line for both in Nacogdoches!

Rabbit'93
12-12-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm not even sure where to start with this one OC. :confused:

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
yikes...gilmer has been pretty good the last 4 years (probably true this is the best bunch they have had in the last 10 years)...but I guess I kinda agree that this about an average jasper bunch if you look at them across the years. speed wise we are above normal...sizewise about normal...however, it has been awhile since jasper has had an offensive threat equal to that of moye....state will be watching this soph. in the years to come.

cameron
12-12-2004, 04:04 PM
OC, i dont know what kinda time your putting on your little statement there, but gilmer has won district last 4 yrs running made it to qfinals last year before loosing to atlanta who won it have gone like 45 wins 4 or something close to that in the last four years....have an overall winning record history wise...have been a state finalist before....soo once in a lifetime team...i doubt it...thats an absurd statement...and your absurd for making it....i know information on Jasper that i could spew but i think i got more class than that....bring the X's and O's, let me do my homework on your team and we can debate the game that way...you dont know crap about gilmer or this team....

easttexan1
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Your are already spewing. Just go ahead. To paraphrase you, You don't know crap about Jasper or this team.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by cameron
OC, i dont know what kinda time your putting on your little statement there, but gilmer has won district last 4 yrs running made it to qfinals last year before loosing to atlanta who won it have gone like 45 wins 4 or something close to that in the last four years....have an overall winning record history wise...have been a state finalist before....soo once in a lifetime team...i doubt it...thats an absurd statement...and your absurd for making it....i know information on Jasper that i could spew but i think i got more class than that....bring the X's and O's, let me do my homework on your team and we can debate the game that way...you dont know crap about gilmer or this team....

Well what are you looking for when you says x's and o's?? stats, player info. just what is this mysterious info. you seek that will cause you to divine the outcome of this state championship?

Look at the teams on paper and it is obvious that Gilmer has the better players and stats...the bottom line is teenage kids will play the game next saturday and a break here of there and no telling what the outcome might be.

cameron
12-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Yes looking for stats player info....games against similiar teams points scored....duuuuhh...we can only debate whats on paper and facts and football tangible opinions...and im gonna say this again for this thread....my daddy can whip your daddy kinda crap just doesnt work for me......and by the way if it were jasper and snyder playing i would be pulling for jasper.....arent you a teacher why dont you school us on jasper football, statistics, players...your opinions on schemes about this matchup...jasper weaknesses strengths....why you actually think they are gonna win...but hey if you cant i understand....thanks in advance for the information.....

3afan
12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
don't hold yer breath on the stats, schemes, matchups, etc. ... its just an opinion from a very avid fan !!! (let it go ...) ;)

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Jasper will stomp Gilmer. They are a high enrollment 4-time high- bracket finisher in Division I. Taking nothing away from Gilmer but they are not ready for that kind of competition of the caliber of Jasper. Jasper has already played some really good 3A and 4A competition(all season long) and they don't need anything fancy to win, just ask Marlin.

Gilmer Rolls.

JasperDog94
12-12-2004, 05:54 PM
While we're at it, would you like a recording of practice so you know exactly what Jasper is going to do?:p :p

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
LOL,

Good one JasperDog94:D

P.S.

I can tell you what Jasper is going to do without any film.

They are going to line up and run the ball. They are going to try and keep Gilmer's offense off of the field. They are going to try and put a spy on #5 and #7 and knock Johson down on every play.

They are going to try and use their speed to contain the deep threat, and they are going to hope for a couple of big plays to make the difference in the game.

It won't work, but it is the smartest thing to do. Sometimes you are just up against overwhelming odds, and you just have to hope for miracles.:p

JasperDog94
12-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Sometimes you are just up against overwhelming odds, and you just have to hope for miracles.:p Just like Burnet last year huh? Except this year we're at full strength.

j_dog
12-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Hey, OC just believes in his area. Maybe he gets carried away a bit sometimes, but that is not a crime. :)

As for stats there is no use, in my opinion, in getting into a spitting contest about stats. Gilmer already has the stats battle won. I, and I suspect most Jasper fans, would quickly concede that to you. Several us regulars on this board from Jasper and the area saw Gilmer last week. We have no illusions that Gilmer is in any kind of way going to be an easy nut to crack. All our coaches and players can do is to prepare the very best that they can for a very tough game and hope that things fall their way. As a fan, I am just excited that Jasper has finally made the "big dance"! :)

Bulldog_12
12-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Just like Burnet last year huh? Except this year we're at full strength.

You beat me to it JasperDog!!

crimson blood
12-12-2004, 07:16 PM
ok, i was pleasantly surprised with the bulldog pat kicker yesterday, i'm probably not alone.
however, with no turnovers in the game i think that the jasper defense is to be applauded and respected by anyone for holding the panthers to a mere 27 points.
if snyder or anyone else in 3a ball turns it over to tha dogs 6-7 times in a game the balance will be that jasper will score on 3-4 big plays and drive at least one of the other turnover gifts into the endzone.
should you be given to the thought that it was not the blame of the snyder offense but the credit of a big hitting defense... ya better realize that lh brought the hat on each play,.:cool:

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Just like Burnet last year huh? Except this year we're at full strength.

In 2002 Jasper was supposed to be the best team. That's what I read on here. Old Cardinal told us Jasper was not only going to win the title, they were going to shut everyone out doing it.

In 2003 Burnet was supposed to be the best team. That is what I read on here. Everyone from Burnet told me so.

In 2002 I did not make the trip to see Jasper play before they lost so I don't know.

In 2003 I did not see Burnet play until they played Gainesville. If I would have taken the time to watch them play before the state game I would not have picked them to win thier last THREE games. Sinton, Jasper, Forney, and Gainesville were probably all better teams than Burnet last year.

But THIS year, I HAVE seen Jasper, and I HAVE seen Gilmer. And Gilmer has a better team.

If the best team wins this Saturday, then Gilmer will be wearing the rings.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes looking for stats player info....games against similiar teams points scored....duuuuhh...we can only debate whats on paper and facts and football tangible opinions...and im gonna say this again for this thread....my daddy can whip your daddy kinda crap just doesnt work for me......and by the way if it were jasper and snyder playing i would be pulling for jasper.....arent you a teacher why dont you school us on jasper football, statistics, players...your opinions on schemes about this matchup...jasper weaknesses strengths....why you actually think they are gonna win...but hey if you cant i understand....thanks in advance for the information.....

I think Jasper will win because:

1. They have the talent to play with anyone. We might not have a plethora of D-I talent but we have a team full of young men who are hungry to rid our town of the blight of not having a trophy yet when most people would agree that we should have had one long ago. Our kids will be up for this game like no other game in the history of our school. (As I am sure Gilmer will.)

2. I believe in my team.

3. We have shown that we can beat teams who play the spread as well as Gilmer has..us against Cameron, Marlin, Diboll...y'all against Tatum.

4. Your performance defensively against Tatum, Snyder tells me that we can and will move the ball and score some points. We have 26 interceptions on the year and have over a +10 turnover ratio in the playoffs (we have to cause some more turnovers to win and I think we will). Your speed at the corner is matched by our speed in the defensive backfield (4.36 is our fastest--FAT timing at a college not some HS coach with a stopwatch).

5. We have a very strong team. Sorry I don't have benchpress totals but I see us win the line of scrimmage week after week. At the very least I think we can hold our own. Strength doesn't appear to be one of Gilmer's best points. It is one of ours.

6. Gilmer's biggest strength is their athleticism. That is also our biggest strength.

7. Hey because they are my team and our crowd will be there cheering them on.

On paper we are in trouble. Gilmer is a great team. We have to play mistake-free football and bring the Riddell on defense to win it. If anyone can beat Gilmer in 3A I believe it is us.
Sorry if that is not enough x's and o's. But it wasn't my daddy vs you daddy..Jasper doesn't do that stuff...well most don't.

Old Cardinal
12-12-2004, 09:04 PM
You know PPHS you have continued to blabber and bladder and BLABBER about me missing the call that Jasper would win it all in 2002. Yes Jasper lost to Burnet because of single coverage on Shipley, a great receiver. I still think Jasper had the best team that year--look at their record up till then. They blew it in the lack of logical preparation against a very good Burnet team who then went into the final game with a lot of cripples. I missed a few predictions this year also. I think that Palestine had the best team but messed up with too many turnovers. I missed a prediction on Newton also: I thought they would win state this year.
Sure I miss some calls but I sure don't miss as many as you continue to do! :D

To Cameron...Have you considerated a laxative--you seem to be a little too irritated lately:thinking:

Keith7
12-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Gilmer 35
Jasper 14

I like the unbiased view of PPHSFan better then any body elses BIASED views

JHS_c/o_06'
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
The only unbiased view there is is on the paper the 'stats' or the 'stats game'. I think that by the time saturday comes, the term 'stats game' will be as common as the term 'flip-flopper' was during the election. But, like the last two teams, we WILL move on the defense. And if you give us 6 turnovers like you gave snyder, we WILL win. Cameron Yoe had an amazing pass game, they only threw 6 INT's the ENTIRE SEASON, well......during that game alone we picked off the ball....6 times. I hope than none of the Gilmer players or people expect for it to be a Madden 2005 game where its Hail Mary after Hail Mary for touchdown after touchdown, cause if you do, then YOU are the ones who are gonna sit there in 'Shell Shock'. Whatever the outcome, I am pround of my team mates, my friends and the fans who have finally come together as a community. There was nothing like looking up from the sidelines to see thousands of signs that say 'DEFENSE' and our entire crowd chanting. After what our community and town has been through in the last decade, i feel this is our time. This is Jasper's time to shine. And this didnt start for our players in November when the playoffs rolled around, this didnt start in October when District play started, This didnt start in August when the season kicked off or durning two-a-days. This started last January when we signed a card that said we were prepared to do what it took to win a state championship in 2004. We are not football players..
We are not a Team....
We are a family, a family who will not give up till the very end. I saw a sign in the TAMU locker room that said " Break Their Will ", that is the mind set we will come out with. I honestly don't think that this game will come down to talent, i think it will be coaching and heart and soul. Now, i can't make this statement by what goes on in the locker rooms before the game. But Jasper, as a family and as a team has more heart than anyone else i've seen. Some of you are going to say "why..thats a very classey post" and others are gonna say..."your just a homer, shut up and bring it on Sat. " But the truth is, i really dont care, but as a member of the Jasper family/team, i had something to say to counter all the smack talk coming from people on BOTH sides. I'm sure a Gilmer poster could make a post just like mine except for Gilmer. Go ahead, i encourage it. I think its good to be competative, but i have a feeling that people are going to get bitter. And we really dont need that on here. So...

Both teams will come ready to play, and the best team WILL win. BUT....remember...that the best...doesnt always mean the one with the most talent.

3afan
12-12-2004, 10:32 PM
i hope they do too, only shorter !!! :D

JHS_c/o_06'
12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
haha....i did kinda get carried away....but oh well.

ScottH
12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
With that said.....Gilmer 42 Jasper 21.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-12-2004, 10:36 PM
If you say so

crimson blood
12-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
With that said.....Gilmer 42 Jasper 21.

only in buckeye dreams:D

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 11:09 PM
thats fine...jasper has been the underdog before. We are playing for a state championship and couldn't be happier.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 11:14 PM

That is pretty smug of you. No matter what Jasper does come saturday we are never suppose to be champions...oh well..

A team is not made of superstars...a team is a group of young men who band together to get the job done. Gilmer has shown they can do that all season...we are playing our 18th playoff game in 4 years, we aren't here by accident and IF we win it will be because we are the BETTER team...if we lose it will be because they were the BETTER team...it least that is how I see it.

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Hup,

I did not mean to sound smug. I am just stating what I believe is true. I don't want to take anything away from Jasper's team, I just don't think they are the best team this year.

spiveyrat
12-13-2004, 07:42 AM
Some of you people really let your dislike of OC cloud your judgement. I don't know the answer to this question, but to be the devil's advocate... Has Gilmer put up comparable numbers in the last few years compared to this year? In your words, "I doubt it". IF they truly are a once in a decade (or even once in a lifetime) team, what's the harm in admitting that? I think that Jasper's 02 team was a once in a decade kind of team.

cunbed10
12-13-2004, 08:36 AM
I've had the pleasure of watching both teams, Jasper and Gilmer. This is my honest opinion, Jasper will score, and will hit the big Receivers for Gilmer hard and often. The QB that plays his best game SAT. will lead his team to victory, If there is one team to stop Gilmer, It's Jasper, but it will take a huge effort if I had to pick a winner I would say Gilmer 38 Jasper 34, but My Father who is wiser than I, picked Jasper to win. I would luv to attend this game, but I don't like the route to EAst TExas from Marlin, I didn't want to go when Marlin played at SFA. I will depend on this board, and cell phones to keep up with the play by play. Good luck to the Jasper faithful, I know more fans from Jasper than Gilmer.

Pudlugger
12-13-2004, 08:45 AM
As is the case in most final games both teams are excellent and loaded with talent. I think the team that is most focused wins this game. Whichever team celebrated the least last week after their semifinal probably will win this game. It is simple really, it amounts to an emotional letdown. These are 16 and 17 year olds playing and its all about focus and intensity now. Both teams have the talent. So far Jasper has shown real intense focus. Gilmer has been winning all season and it's difficult to say what their mindset will be other than business as usual Saturday. If either team lets up on the focus they will lose this game.

HornetMom
12-13-2004, 09:01 AM
As I have stated in another thread, I believe this will be a battle to the end. One or the other may jump out with an early lead, but I believe it will come down to the closing minutes. As for the stats, we all know that they don't really mean a whole lot. Based on what I heard last week, as we were leaving after the Jasper/LH game, LH won the stats battle. More 1st downs, total yards for LH but of course more points for Jasper. Good luck to both teams, it should be the 'game of the year', as a state championship game should be.

easttexan1
12-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Who hasn't won the stats battle over Jasper in the playoffs? It seems like everybody has more 1st downs and more yards, but not more points. Ultimately there is only one stat to a game. Neither of these teams got here on luck. They got her on the backs of good players and hard work. If Gilmer beats Jasper like they think they can, then they probably do have a "once in a lifetime team". But, no matter what anybody thinks, these are the 2 best teams as of today and unless one of them blows completely up, this should be a great game.

YBS
12-13-2004, 10:33 AM
You know I gotta clap for some of you guys:clap: :clap: I know some of you probably love pushing lil' kids in line to get your sno-cone first, or "jumping" your car at old people when they don't make it across the crosswalk quick enough in traffic. My stats, your stats WHO CARES? HS football games aren't won on stats, MBs, and in the minds of people who are years away from their respective high school diplomas and GED's. It's won on the hardwork and dedication of 15-18 year olds who've all dreamed about going to state and winning a championship. Let's not ruin it for them. Let the kids go out there and play. I have fun on these boards talking trash, and poking fun. At times I felt ashamed of how much we were piling on LHPMom, but she took it all in stride b/c I think and hope she knew some of us truly didn't mean anything by it. And I know she knows we respect her team. When you lose respect for your opponent or disrespect them this MB gets ugly. Let's keep it clean and impersonal for the sake of the game, and the kids. Go dawgs!

89JDAWG
12-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I hope someone in the stands keeps track of how many times we hit them in the mouth with a ridell!! Now thats a stat I wanna see!!

j_dog
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Hup,

I did not mean to sound smug. I am just stating what I believe is true. I don't want to take anything away from Jasper's team, I just don't think they are the best team this year.
That sounds much better when you switch it to your opinion. :) You stated it as FACT before.

My opinion is that whichever team wins the game will be the best team. :)

j_dog
12-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
I hope someone in the stands keeps track of how many times we hit them in the mouth with a ridell!! Now thats a stat I wanna see!!
I am sure somebody will be keeping that stat! :D

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Hup,

I can't agrue with that. I believed Jasper was unbeatable in 2002. We weren't...and neither is anyone else...well maybe last years North Shore team..wow!!

Jody
12-13-2004, 03:05 PM
There ave been more suprises this year than any I can recall. Guess that is what Texas football is all about. If Jasper has nothing else to be thankful for, at least BH didn't have to whip them good this year......:D Just Kidding.

olddawggreen
12-13-2004, 06:17 PM
In 2002 Jasper was supposed to be the best team. That's what I read on here. Old Cardinal told us Jasper was not only going to win the title, they were going to shut everyone out doing it.

In 2003 Burnet was supposed to be the best team. That is what I read on here. Everyone from Burnet told me so.

In 2002 I did not make the trip to see Jasper play before they lost so I don't know.

In 2003 I did not see Burnet play until they played Gainesville. If I would have taken the time to watch them play before the state game I would not have picked them to win thier last THREE games. Sinton, Jasper, Forney, and Gainesville were probably all better teams than Burnet last year.

But THIS year, I HAVE seen Jasper, and I HAVE seen Gilmer. And Gilmer has a better team.

PPHSfan, not to rehash the 03 playoff season, but, maybe you should have taken time to watch Burnet before the state game. Maybe if you had, your coment here about them would have been a bit different. As far as the teams that you have mentioned as being better teams than the 03 Burnet team, there was no question who was the better team after the Sinton game. Sinton has an excellent program and will always give you a good game, but as I remember, Burnet was able to give their reserves some play time in the 2nd half. As far as Forney, (oh boy, here we go again) it would be hard to say, considering Burnet never had the opportunity to play them. Jasper will probably tell you that they had the better team in 03, and I will say that I think that Jasper was Burnet's first real competition in 03, but Burnet did what they needed to do to win the game. I think its fair to say that the only 03 team that you have mentioned that you can really say for sure that was better than the 03 Burnet team was Gainesville, and they have the rings to prove it.

The fact is it wasn't just Burnet people telling you how good Burnet was. Every body was telling you how good Burnet was. They were ranked No. 1 in the poles from start to finish on the 03 season, by people who, in some cases, did take time to see Burnet play before the state final. Burnet had every kind of defense you can imagine thrown at them, and they still managed to make it to the final game. I would say they were a pretty good team. :)

PPHSfan
12-13-2004, 07:04 PM
Burnet WAS a pretty good team in 2003. They just were not as good as advertised on the day I saw them play. Shipley and McGee were everything I expected, and a bag of chips. The team was not quite what I expected. I felt let down. Don't take it personal. My point was, THIS year I have seen both teams before the final game. I feel sure that Gilmer is better.

olddawggreen
12-13-2004, 10:13 PM
Point taken, and I didn't take it personally. :)

JasperDog94
12-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Burnet WAS a pretty good team in 2003. They just were not as good as advertised on the day I saw them play. Shipley and McGee were everything I expected, and a bag of chips. The team was not quite what I expected. I felt let down. Don't take it personal. My point was, THIS year I have seen both teams before the final game. I feel sure that Gilmer is better. Just out of curiosity, what game did you see Jasper play?

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 02:37 PM
He saw the Marlin game. He isn't the first person that I know that has seen Jasper play that wasn't impressed. The bottom line is we are still playing with a shot at a state title for the first time in our schools history.

easttexan1
12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
You know, it still gets down to how long Jasper is willing to play. I sure would like to know where they disappear to, maybe some parallel universe or something. I would really like to see them play for 4 full quarters. Against Cameron Yoe, they only played about 5 minutes of offense, 15 against Marlin and most of the 1st half against Liberty Hill. Win or lose, I consider this one of the best teams we have ever had. They have done more with less, rather than the more typical Jasper team that squanders their talent and opportunities. If we keep improving on our discipline and attitudes in the future, as much as we have in the last 3-4 years, we will be back to the final game. So, if you are going to be in the same playoff bracket with Jasper in the future, work hard because we will be coming at you.

Hupernikomen
12-14-2004, 04:50 PM
I think you said a lot that was true there easttexan. I do think these coaches have done a great job with less. Especially on defense. On offense, I can't remember when we have had as many weapons as we do right now. We really do need to put 4 quarters together to have a shot saturday.

j_dog
12-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Jody
There ave been more suprises this year than any I can recall. Guess that is what Texas football is all about. If Jasper has nothing else to be thankful for, at least BH didn't have to whip them good this year......:D Just Kidding.
Now THAT will be a surprise when BH beats Jasper in football! :D :D I bet you a nickel that Jasper coaches would be willing to schedule a predistrict game year after next. Jasper is always looking for a few good teams willing to play them! :D Heck, BC or WOS might be willing to give you their spot!

PPHSfan
12-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
He saw the Marlin game. He isn't the first person that I know that has seen Jasper play that wasn't impressed. The bottom line is we are still playing with a shot at a state title for the first time in our schools history.

I did not say that I was not impressed with Jasper. I said Marlin did not live up to my expectations.

I think Jasper is a real good team. I just don't see them anywhere near Gilmer. But nobody else in 3a is anywhere near Gilmer either. I thought Tatum might stay within two touchdowns, but I was wrong about them.

I have heard a lot of talk about how Jasper is "due" and they "deserve" to win because of coming so close.

Here is my opinion.

Tradition may never graduate, but underclassmen do no inherit any birthrights. Gilmer "deserves" this trophy just as much as Jasper does, even if they had gone 0-10 for the last forty years. They did not inherit this winning team, and neither did Jasper. I am sure Jasper is going to fall short again this year. There is no shame in that. There are 185 other teams in 3a that would love to be getting throttled by Gilmer this Saturday.

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Burnet WAS a pretty good team in 2003. They just were not as good as advertised on the day I saw them play. Shipley and McGee were everything I expected, and a bag of chips. The team was not quite what I expected. I felt let down. Don't take it personal. My point was, THIS year I have seen both teams before the final game. I feel sure that Gilmer is better.
Did I say Cuero would make state, PPHSFan?:)

PPHSfan
12-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Did I say Cuero would make state, PPHSFan?:)

Yes you did. I remember the conversation very well. It was the same conversation that took place in week three when I told you that Gilmer would go all the way.:)

SintonFan
12-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Yes you did. I remember the conversation very well. It was the same conversation that took place in week three when I told you that Gilmer would go all the way.:)
I called you in August. I can show you the phone bill.:p
Yes, you said Gilmer would go all the way before the season...:(
I still think Jasper will take it. (double :p ):D

j_dog
12-15-2004, 12:50 AM
........I have heard a lot of talk about how Jasper is "due" and they "deserve" to win because of coming so close....

.... There are 185 other teams in 3a that would love to be getting throttled by Gilmer this Saturday.
I can see that I don't agree with you on much, but I do agree that Jasper does not have any special right to win because they are "due" and they "deserve" to win because of coming so close... Every team has an equal shot at winning, but you seem to think that Gilmer has an extra special shot at it. :)

If Jasper wins, it will be because they are the better team, and earn the victory. I saw the same two games you saw two weeks ago. I have just drawn different conclusions. Instead of giving Jasper credit for beating Marlin, you knock Marlin for not living up to your "expectations". Maybe, just MAYBE, Jasper had a little to do with Marlin's not living up to your "expectations". Jasper may lose the game Saturday, but as for the prospect of their getting "throttled", I just don't see it. Thank goodness the game will be played on the field and not in your mind. :)

Hupernikomen
12-15-2004, 01:06 AM
I did not say that I was not impressed with Jasper. I said Marlin did not live up to my expectations.

I think Jasper is a real good team. I just don't see them anywhere near Gilmer. But nobody else in 3a is anywhere near Gilmer either. I thought Tatum might stay within two touchdowns, but I was wrong about them.

I have heard a lot of talk about how Jasper is "due" and they "deserve" to win because of coming so close.

Here is my opinion.

Tradition may never graduate, but underclassmen do no inherit any birthrights. Gilmer "deserves" this trophy just as much as Jasper does, even if they had gone 0-10 for the last forty years. They did not inherit this winning team, and neither did Jasper. I am sure Jasper is going to fall short again this year. There is no shame in that. There are 185 other teams in 3a that would love to be getting throttled by Gilmer this Saturday.

If Jasper gets throttled by Gilmer I will be shocked! Might we lose? Of course, but I saw Gilmer play as well and wasn't in awe as you seem to be. I have been watching athletes like Manual on Jasper's squads nearly every year for the last 20. Just so happens that this is one of the few years we don't have a big time d-I prospect. But we do have a good team of players. The big WR is very good as well...I can't imagine he is as good as Shipley was..our soph. corner did a decent job against him last year...unfort. that corner is out for the season..those LBs better have some serious speed or they might be grabbing at air all night. Jasper can match up with anyone in 3A...we won't be throttled not this year. At least I won't be convinced of that until I see it for myself.

Buckeye80
12-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
We have no illusions that Gilmer is in any kind of way going to be an easy nut to crack.

HA HA HA HA!!!!!! LOL

That is so clever! Nice!:D

Old Cardinal
12-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Well, I like a lot of others thought Jasper would win state in Division II at the beginning of the year. After a strong Silsbee and Kirbyville team took them out in District, I think we all had our doubts! I would like to compliment the Jasper youth for renewing their efforts and beating some great teams like Marlin etc: to get there. Win or lose it's not often a team can be one of the best two in the state of Texas in the postseason. Show the world Saturday what efficient teamwork can do on a football field!