PDA

View Full Version : Jasper/Gilmer Track Teams

89Dawg
12-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Who has info on Jasper and Gilmers track teams. A lot of talk about speed is being thrown out there by both sides. Maybe some track team standings can give us some insight into the two teams speeds. Any track links would be appreciated.

What say you!

Astrosdawg07
12-12-2004, 01:14 PM
I know history has nothing to do w/ this game, but Jasper has one of the most prestigous track teams in TEXAS!!!!

89Dawg
12-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Any info on the track teams from the last couple of years may give some insight into the current team speeds. Although the history does show an ongoing theme, it may not necessarily apply to the teams current speed.

Astrosdawg07
12-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 89Dawg
Any info on the track teams from the last couple of years may give some insight into the current team speeds. Although the history does show an ongoing theme, it may not necessarily apply to the teams current speed.

We would have won state in the relays which included all football players, we dropped the paton and lost by 3 seconds, we had a huge lead!!!

TOPS1435
12-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Gilmer won its first district championship in something like 21 years last year. Most of the runners in the relays, hurdles and sprints are back on this year's squad. All three of the players with D-1 scholarship offers are track men, 2 on relays, one on hurdles.

The wide receiver who got loose on an end around was both on the sprint relay and the 100 M dash.

We did not have the blazing speed that Atlanta had last year, but we have had more speed at receiver than most of the teams we have faced.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 02:13 PM
www.texastrack.com

this site is very good and has a lot of archives.

I wish someone from jasper who owns one of those track T-Shirts that list of all our accomplishments and times in track over the years would post it here. I know it has nothing to do with this game but I think it is awesome to see what Jasper has done in track through the years.

89Dawg
12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Well it looks like the teams might match up well with the speed issue. I don't think there will be too many run dows from behind. It could come down to who can hold on to the ball the longest.

It sounds like Jasper will need to keep Gilmers passing game under control and be able to make some holes to get their speedsters off and racing.

And it sounds like Gilmer will need to stop Jasper from making those holes and will need to beat the Jasper defensive backs and keep there passing game going. 333 yds passing is impressive. And 53 points with less than 500yds on offense last night, has to mean good defense.

I haven't heard any stats from the Jasper game yesterday.

It could come down to a couple of key plays, or if one team is able do what they need to do it could be a long night for the other.

Hupernikomen
12-12-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't remember the exact numbers but LH had 21 1st and 420+ yards
Jasper had 12 1st and 340+ yards

Nice kickoff returns for both teams..one a TD for Jasper.

Astrosdawg07
12-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I don't remember the exact numbers but LH had 21 1st and 420+ yards
Jasper had 12 1st and 340+ yards

Nice kickoff returns for both teams..one a TD for Jasper.

From my boy KG!!!

j_dog
12-12-2004, 11:39 PM
About the tracksters. I assume Moye runs track? I think so. If so, talking about stats, first downs, etc. Jasper had scored 21 points early in the game and still had not a single first down. Moye ran 63 yards on the first offensive play of the game. Then LH scored. Gilder returned the kick-off for a TD. Then Jasper held LH. Moye kept for a yard or two. Then on second down handed off to Jordon Patton, who zigged and zagged, and just about ran all over the field for the third TD. Three TD's, but no first downs. I'll take the three TD's over first down stats any day. :) Anyway, those are just some of our track guys. :)

YBS
12-13-2004, 10:12 AM
www.texastrack.com

this site is very good and has a lot of archives.

I wish someone from jasper who owns one of those track T-Shirts that list of all our accomplishments and times in track over the years would post it here. I know it has nothing to do with this game but I think it is awesome to see what Jasper has done in track through the years.

Hup(if you don't mind that name),
Now you're talking my sport!! I know Coach Spoon has the t-shirt w/ all the championships we've won, and I couldn't tell you how many, but it's more than 5 CERTAINLY! Mi hermanito is running track this year so I'll see if I can find out something as far as this year's team before Sat. I went to a track meet last spring w/ our guys and they looked young but good.

89JDAWG
12-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 89Dawg
Who has info on Jasper and Gilmers track teams. A lot of talk about speed is being thrown out there by both sides. Maybe some track team standings can give us some insight into the two teams speeds. Any track links would be appreciated.

What say you!

alright 89 brother, speed for both teams will be equalized, ie speed vs speed. this game will come down to coaching, which staff can come up with the edge. I'll take jasper's experence, they have had to prepare more playoff game plans than any other team I know of.

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by YBS
Hup(if you don't mind that name),
Now you're talking my sport!! I know Coach Spoon has the t-shirt w/ all the championships we've won, and I couldn't tell you how many, but it's more than 5 CERTAINLY! Mi hermanito is running track this year so I'll see if I can find out something as far as this year's team before Sat. I went to a track meet last spring w/ our guys and they looked young but good.

That shirt has the all-time fastest times from our state meets, like the '90 4x100 relay time of 39.9. Brian Bronson's time in the 110 hurdles etc. It was pretty awesome to see some of those times and distances. He needs to add the new state record triple jump that jaimoy bryant set a couple years back too. :p
I love following Jasper track too.

YBS
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM
"my last track post on this thread"

Hup,

I have a frat brother that ran HS track in Cali that was at the Penn Relays as the Cali state champs in 92 or 93. He said they got smoked like hot links by Jasper! Neither of us can remember who was on that track team, but he said his jaw dropped when they lost so bad to some town outta nowhere Texas and he was outta LA. I love it!

Hupernikomen
12-13-2004, 05:14 PM
probably was the armstrong brothers...not sure though.

lance armstrong is a receiver for the texans right now..his cousin/brother?? was the "fast" one. :D

YBS
12-20-2004, 02:53 PM

lance armstrong is a receiver for the texans right now..his cousin/brother?? was the "fast" one. :D

You mean DARICK Armstrong :D Darick's brother was Lawrence. Lawrence won I believe two stat 4a titles. He went TJC, and then ran track and played football for that school in Austin for a little bit but didn't make it out. He's back in Jasper now. I've seen him at a few games.

Regardless, neither of those guys were in high school in 92 or 93. I'd have to ask some of my freshman track teammates from back then.

Astrosdawg07
12-20-2004, 02:55 PM

LANCE is the one that rides the bike:D

j_dog
12-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by YBS
"my last track post on this thread"

Hup,

I have a frat brother that ran HS track in Cali that was at the Penn Relays as the Cali state champs in 92 or 93. He said they got smoked like hot links by Jasper! Neither of us can remember who was on that track team, but he said his jaw dropped when they lost so bad to some town outta nowhere Texas and he was outta LA. I love it!
The very best relay team was in '91 when they set the then national record in the 400 at 39.9. The next really good relay teams were in '97 when the Armstrongs led Jasper to their fourth 4a state title. Maybe your frat brother ran in 91 instead of 92 or 93 ??

YBS
12-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
The very best relay team was in '91 when they set the then national record in the 400 at 39.9. The next really good relay teams were in '97 when the Armstrongs led Jasper to their fourth 4a state title. Maybe your frat brother ran in 91 instead of 92 or 93 ??

Probably so. I know he just turned 30 which would put him in that 91 or 92 range. Thanks for the info.