PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Wylie/Cuero game...

Adidas410s
12-11-2004, 10:43 PM
NOTE...THIS IS A "NO SMACK TALK" ZONE!!!

I apologize in advance for not just adding this on to the other thread, but after the 150 and 200+ reply threads about Wylie/Cuero, I have gotten tired of scrolling through so many replies for a few days and instead will just post my thoughts in a topic.

1. This was a GREAT game...it was one of the best games I have ever witnessed (the other being Celina/Garrison '01 @ Waco ISD)...this game IS Friday Night Lights...too bad Fox won't broadcast the 3A State title games.

2. Both teams played a great game. There were a lot of times where I thought that Cuero was just going to turn it up a notch and blow Wylie off the field. However, as many people have pointed out Wylie just has a knack for Red Zone Defense and has been shutting down other teams inside the 20 all season long. To name a few, Snyder on 2 seperate drives had 1st and goal at the 1 and 1st and goal at the 3 and came away with 0 points. Decatur was inside the Wylie 20 6 times and went home with 13 points. Royse City had 1st and goal inside the 3 and came up empty handed. Cuero had plenty of chances as well but our "bend but dont break" defense stepped up when they had to, got pressure around the corners, and made the tackles that they needed to make.

3. Cuero's secondary...WHEW!!! Best secondary I have seen in 3A...with the exception of '91, '92 Southlake Carroll. Wylie was open on 2, maybe 3 passes all night. There were 2 10-12 hook routes to Poorman (#41) and of course the TE (#83) slipping through the seams for a 37 (I think) yd TD.

4. The fans for both teams were amazing. From talking to some Wylie guys, the noise on the field was the loudest that any of them have ever experienced and it sure made the emotions and memories for those guys that much greater! Win or lose, both teams played to 100% of their abilites and I don't care what anybody says. Whether it was everybody's best performance or not, the players left everything out on the field and etched memories into the minds of 15,000 fans that will last forever.

5. My one "gripe"...I find it rather dumb for us to debate our thoughts on the Wylie players wearing face paint. They are going to what they want, whether its "cool," it "looks gay," or is just plain scary. It is arguably the most trivial thing I have ever seen discussed on this board that pertained directly to football...other than who has "the greatest fans!" :D

6. As I did in 2000, I would like to apologize for the idiot ARN write up comparing the Wylie and Cuero communities. They did the same thing in 2000 with BOTH Everman and Gatesville and it was just as shameful then. Heck, I still partially attribute my only speeding ticket in Gatesville (4 mph over on Hwy 36 @ 1:30AM) to those articles and the hurt feelings that were left in the minds of many in Gatesville about Abilene Wylie. Also, I promise that I will write a letter to the editor about this and hopefully again it will be published. If it is, I will make sure to publish it along with any responses from the paper and any responses from other readers. I wish I could find the response that I received from the person who wrote those articles in 2000. It was the most (and feel free to come back and edit this later mods) "half-ass" response that I have ever had in a legitimate discussion. The reporter passed it off as something to the effect of "its what the people of Abilene want to read so that they will "know what they are up against." Know what they are up against? We (the fans/community) are not up against Cuero at all. Heck I had the privilige to meet up with many Cuero fans over @ George's before the game and they are good, decent people just like those in Wylie. We are all from Texas so it can't get any better than that right? :D

7. As has been the case in the last 3 games, this was another great matchup of 2 very well coached, well disciplined, and extremely talented programs. Yes there are going to be players who have flare ups...but we cannot sit here and say "oh that is just classless." The word class is so over-used to describe teams/players/communities. We all know that 99% of everybody involved with the great sport of football is a good, honest, hard-working, decent human being. It seems sometimes that many people are just looking for the first slip (we are IMPERFECT creations of God right?) and then they are like "on no...that is classless on your part!" Again judging others, but I'm way off topic for this point so I'll head back that way... I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Wylie's playoff run this season. It has been truly a magical ride and one that was VERY deserved for Coach Sandifer and the community. I know that I can honestly say that Sandifer was as deserving of finally getting his first state title as any other coach in Texas...and I know that anyone else who knows anything about the man would agree with me.

My hat's off to the Cuero and Wylie teams. Both played a great game and I hope that they take away that thought and don't have any regrets.

To the players of Cuero...keep your heads up for those of you returning because you have a community that supports you and a coaching staff that can take you very far in the future if you continue to put in the work necessary to do so. To those graduating...as im sure many others have told you in the last 24 hours, you will remember this season/this game/this year forever. Cherish and take with you the numerous life lessons that you have learned. Most importantly, put them into practice in your life and you can reap rewards far beyond your expectations.

To the players of Wylie...WHEW THAT WAS AWESOME!!! :D I was as happy as anyone else last night. Having watched us lose in the State Finals my senior year, its kinda nice to see us win it my senior year in college and see a lot of my younger brothers friends out there having success. Unlike some of the guys on the '00 team...this was a team that was made up of a bunch of GOOD kids who didnt show off and played as a selfless TEAM!!! I will conclude by saying this (and hopefully its not the last time)...now lets get ready for next year cuz WE HAVE A STATE TITLE TO DEFEND!!! :D

bigpimpin
12-11-2004, 10:56 PM
I just wanted to congratulate you for without a doubt the best post I have ever seen. You got everything right and left nothing out. :clap: :clap: :clap:

crabman
12-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Very well said.

Congratulations to a very, very fine Abilene Wylie football team.

Hope to see you next year.

I guess the last thing I need to say is that there are hundreds of teams, yes hundreds, who have never made a state final. We have LOST seven of them. We have also won three. We are truly blessed. Sometimes we just don't realize it. Human nature is to always want the best for your kids and to always want more. I'm good with the results of this year. No, I'm great.....

vet93
12-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Great post Adidas....Congratulations from the Bearcats.....You guys really represented West Texas well....as did this post!

VWG
12-11-2004, 11:43 PM
I agree that Sandifer deserved this more than anybody. The program that he has built there is true greatness.

wildstangs
12-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Great game last night. I am thrilled to have a state championship back in West Texas. I have decided that next year I dont care what Wylie does in the first 5 or 6 games of the year. They come out and play their best football late in the regular season and playoffs.

I will be interested in seeing your responses from the ARN.

Keith7
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
i'm glad to see some class from wylie!!

:clap: :clap:

vet93
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
I learned that one a while back....Sandifer has too many toys to play with the first 1/2 of the season....he has to wait until the latter half to figure out what he has to work with and what works best with what he has!

Originally posted by wildstangs
Great game last night. I am thrilled to have a state championship back in West Texas. I have decided that next year I dont care what Wylie does in the first 5 or 6 games of the year. They come out and play their best football late in the regular season and playoffs.

I will be interested in seeing your responses from the ARN.

vet93
12-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Keith....the regular wylie poster who have been here for quite awhile are nothing but classy. Adidas and Pero chato are great guys ( I have had the pleasure of meeting them both). It is some of these "newbies" who come and post only when the team is having success that have to learn to grow up. They do not represent the Wylie community or fan base.

Originally posted by Keith7
i'm glad to see some class from wylie!!

:clap: :clap:

westTXbest
12-12-2004, 12:05 AM
i seen the pics of this game dand hw may people went to this game ????

Old Green
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Great post Adidas410. That's straight from the heart and exactly the way I feel about it.

Thank you for this post.:clap: :clap: Congratulations Wylie on winning the D1 Championship.

Roll'em up
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I learned that one a while back....Sandifer has too many toys to play with the first 1/2 of the season....he has to wait until the latter half to figure out what he has to work with and what works best with what he has!

Actually Sandifer didn't do anything different in the second half of the season or playoffs, than what he did in the first 5 games of the season. That is why his teams keep getting better and better as the year goes on. If you work it enough you will get good at it.

sinton66
12-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Great post, Adidas. You have shown fans everywhere how to do it.;)

VWG
12-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
Actually Sandifer didn't do anything different in the second half of the season or playoffs, than what he did in the first 5 games of the season. That is why his teams keep getting better and better as the year goes on. If you work it enough you will get good at it.

Wait.. so you're saying that Abilene Wylie and Sandifer lined up the same plays, no new wrinkles, in the Decatur game?
What about the rest of the season? I would think that you would see some adjustments made. I'm not talking about changing the whole offensive or defensive scheme, but making adjustments that will make your team better.

superslyguy06
12-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Great post adidas, you clearly know your stuff. :clap:

GreenGobbla
12-13-2004, 07:49 PM
awesome post adidas, long, but u know what you are talking about and you didnt leave anything out, great post once again

cat dog horse
12-13-2004, 09:27 PM
great post dude great post excellent post dude awesome dude

injuredinmelee
12-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Well said Addidas.

And for all the other thread that mentioned luck ( not this topic) this is for you....

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

People dont realize that the kids that are seniors this year at Wylie for the most part havent played that much varsity football. Sandifer is a firm believer in playing the srs and the first 5 or 6 games of the season they are just getting their feet wet. The perfect example is #88 haskell Hall. Haskell got better each week, and in the final had the absolute best game of his career. That is why you see Wylie playing such a stiff schedule. you play patsies you play like a patsy when it counts.

Thanks,
Rick

Adidas410s
09-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I just saw somebody else bringing up an old thread about who was gonna be in the D1 title game...so I thought I would somewhat gloat on myself and bring back this topic as well. I recently moved to a new store and one of our new employees is a Wylie grad from the late 80's and we spend a lot of time talking about Wylie (and UT football). He wanted to see what everybody was saying before/after the game last year so I pulled this up. I must honestly say that re-reading what I wrote just sent chills down my spine. Everything about that game was absolutely amazing...sure would love to see a rematch this year!!! :D

ro_tex_solja
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
it almost seems like u brought that back just to remind cuero fans and players of the loss...i just want to say thanks alot cuz after remembering that we lost state im pissed now..

ro_tex_solja
09-15-2005, 06:08 PM
so thanks alot

Ranger Mom
09-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ro_tex_solja
it almost seems like u brought that back just to remind cuero fans and players of the loss...i just want to say thanks alot cuz after remembering that we lost state im pissed now..

It's okay dude....it WAS a good post!!

GreenGobbla
09-15-2005, 06:15 PM
i agree, you didnt have to bring that back up...but anyways, even if it was a good post, you didnt have to bring it back up, im with ro tex on this one...im pissed too

Adidas410s
09-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
i agree, you didnt have to bring that back up...but anyways, even if it was a good post, you didnt have to bring it back up, im with ro tex on this one...im pissed too

Oh geez...get over it! I was bringing it up because win or lose it was a great game...from a fan's perspective! Whether I mention it or not, it's not easily forgotten and I bet it comes up on this board 2-3 times/day. Life happens...move on!:)

Adidas410s
09-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's okay dude....it WAS a good post!!

Thanks...glad we Region 1'ers can stick together! :D

GreenGobbla
09-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Oh geez...get over it! I was bringing it up because win or lose it was a great game...from a fan's perspective! Whether I mention it or not, it's not easily forgotten and I bet it comes up on this board 2-3 times/day. Life happens...move on!:)

awww....come on dude, get over it, whatever you say sir.....

Ranger05
09-15-2005, 07:01 PM
it almost seems like u brought that back just to remind cuero fans and players of the loss...i just want to say thanks alot cuz after remembering that we lost state im pissed now.. Man take it easy, Football is just a game the sooner u realize that the better off u will be.

schu1213
09-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah dont bring this one back up again. I had already forgoten thta we lost. Damn now i remember.

ro_tex_solja
09-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
Man take it easy, Football is just a game the sooner u realize that the better off u will be.

are u really seriuos ranger05 cuz i played football from 7th grade till last year when i graduated and i just now found out football is a game....thanks for telling me u retard

ro_tex_solja
09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
u can look at your little stupid signature thing and tell your the kind of person that is gonna rub it in the rest of your life.....what do u think schu and green gobbla

Ranger05
09-15-2005, 08:23 PM
are u really seriuos ranger05 cuz i played football from 7th grade till last year when i graduated and i just now found out football is a game....thanks for telling me u retard So what u lost, my team lost the state title game also but u dont see me goin around talkin about how pissed i am or when somebody brings up that game i dont sit here and say ur just doing that to remind the fans of the loss.

Ranger05
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Try growin up a little bit and quit acting like ur 2

lostaussie
09-15-2005, 08:35 PM
man, you really brought back some bad memories for some folks. nevertheless, i was not on here last year so i really enjoyed reading the post. so from one defending state champ to another, cheers, i think i'll have 1 more.

ro_tex_solja
Originally posted by Ranger05
So what u lost, my team lost the state title game also but u dont see me goin around talkin about how pissed i am or when somebody brings up that game i dont sit here and say ur just doing that to remind the fans of the loss.

if u couldnt see that i was just kidding about the getting pissed part then your an idiot..however i have the right to be a little upset when people talk about...and last time i checked your not a moderator so u cant tell me what the hell to do..so u can just ease up...and if i rememered right the part i said to adidas or whatever had absolutely nothing to do with u...so u can grow up and stay out of other peoples business

ro_tex_solja
talkin to idiots like u is a waste of my time and i might be forced to call u some names to get me rommed and i wouldnt like that so later idiot

Ranger Mom
09-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Chill out guys...or I am gonna lock it down!

GreenGobbla
09-15-2005, 08:39 PM
u can look at your little stupid signature thing and tell your the kind of person that is gonna rub it in the rest of your life.....what do u think schu and green gobbla

ya, i feel you, ur tellin us to get over it, then why do u have that sig that just rubs it in our faces???i mean, ur tellin us to get over, but every time i get on here, i see ur dumb sig and it reminds of that game....so, u change ur sig and ill get over it