PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts - Cuero/Wylie

crabman
12-11-2004, 03:22 PM
This may be a little lengthy so bear with me. Just a few thoughts on the season and this game.

First of all no one has the "greatest fans in the world". No one has ever done a study of every single teams fans and quantified their greatness. There are great fans, just not the greatest.

We need to come up with something else to say to kids and coaches on teams that get beat. "Great Game", "Get 'em next year", "You did the best you could" don't seem to get it. We need to work on this one.

Regarding the Wylie game, Casey Keenum is a talent. I was talking to one of our fans after the game. This "fan" happened to be a former coach at Baylor and Head Coach at Lamar University. He said Keenum didn't look that fast but those five yard white stripes just seemed to keep going by and going by. His ability to avoid a direct hit is something you can't coach. It should keep him healthy. The only problem I had was when he chose to take on our linebacker and not go out of bounds on the Cuero sideline. Cuero popped him and he came up swinging. Keep that temper under control. It could have cost Wylie the game.

#79 - You're a hoss. 6'-5" 325 lbs. Extremely good lineman. Watched him all night since he was up against my son when he was on defense. He should go on to the next level.

After the game, Coach Reeve kept saying "I am so sorry". Never, never, never apologize for being the most decent human I have ever met and turning a bunch of average talent into a contending team. When he got here we were coming off a 5-6 season and we entered last year ranked #89 in 3A. This year we are in the final. Amazing. Never apologize. Look at how much mention our guys get for the all-state teams. Probably not much. We have good talent, at best. Not great. He tought them to just play hard and see what happened. He is 23-3 since he came here. We have no egos. We have no thugs. Coach Reeve has been coaching 32 years and this is his first finals appearance. It will not be his last.

To the writer for the Abilene Reporter News that felt it necessary to report that the average cost of a house in Cuero is $39,000 compared to $139,000 in Wylie ISD and that Wylie is 82% white while Cuero is 51% white, that is not news. That smacks of Austin Westlake. We're White, We Win, We're Westlake. If I were your boss I don't know what I would do with you.

To the players who paint their faces, leave it to the fans. It really does look dumb and it diminishes what you do on the field.

How does Wylie get 35 seniors and 30 juniors on the football team? And still have that huge band? We only have about 65 boys in our senior class. 17 are on the football team. Probably 15 in the band. Thats 50% participation and I think that's good. Wylie must have 75-80% participation in these two activities.

This is just an observation and I have always said it, even when we were #1. The team that is 3A champion may not be the best team. They are the team that won the last game of the season. Don't forget that. I have always maintained that Cuero was not the best team, just the team that kept winning. Palestine, Wimberly, Decatur, Gilmer, Wylie, WOS, Jasper, anybody could be left standing at the end. It is Wylie this year. Cherish it and be humble. Cuero has been to the final 10 times since 1970 and only won it 3 times. Never take it for granted. Never gloat. Accept the compliments with a simple thank you. That is all that is needed.

Cuero will be back and we will be fine. Take a look at our starters.
Olguin - Tailback - Sophomore
Bomba - Tailback - Junior
Gray - Wide Receiver/defensive back - sophomore
Slone - Safety - Sophomore
Noack - Safety - Sophomore
J.T. Rudd - Tight End/Defensive end - Junior
Johnson - Tight end - Freshman
Gonzales - Defensive Tackle - Junior
Adams - Defensive Tackle - Junior
Williams - Safety - Sophomore

Last but not least, the refs were just fine. Lots of holding on both sides not called. Heck I saw a couple of takedowns that the ref was staring at. The obvious stuff was called. False starts and the like. They missed a couple of times where #54 jumped the snap count badly but it wasn't the determining factor of the game. Someone told me one time that in order to call a state final you had to have 200 points of service. You get 1/2 point for a sub-varsity game and 1 point for a varsity game. If you are dedicated, it looks like 15 years minimum. Maybe TXMike could help us on this info.

Oh well, that is enough for now. I am using this as my therapy. This is worse than any hangover you can imagine.

3afan
12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Wylie's #54 had the best reaction time as far as getting off on the snap that anyone i have seen in years - puts tremendous pressure on the center & guards

LALK
12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
to crabman:

yah wylie does have a HUGE turnout for the football team and band...

as for the face paint...it's tradition in the playoffs for wylie

and fthe cost of houses...they did the same thing for the a-high vs. slc game...i don't even wanna say the average for the slc houses...idk why they do that either...seems kinda dumb and pointless

i liked your analysis of the game

44INAROW
12-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by LALK
to crabman:

i liked your analysis of the game

that's why he got MY vote for "most imformative poster" on the downlow.. He has a way of getting his point across without being sarcastic or boastful and he has an objective point of view.. I wish I could do that :D

pero chato
12-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Good analysis of a hard fought game. Keenum rambles for yardage and will make you miss but obviously does not have amazing speed. He does keep his temper in check for the most part, I didn't see the play you mentioned about him coming up swinging. #79, Tyler Crump has started for three years on varsity, not sure if he has offers for the next level.
I thought the two teams matched up evenly except the obvious exception that Cuero has more speed. Our defense made the stops and plays when it was absolutely critical. I think we all realize the game could have gone either way with a different outcome of one or two plays.
The refs called a tight game--a little too tight on both sides if you ask me. In the Royce City game, the crew hardly called anything. As long as they are consistent both ways and not let things get out of hand, I would prefer they let the boys play.
The Abilene Reporter News---MORONS!! I don't understand nor share their facination with race or property values between the two school districts. It means absolutely nothing to the kids or fans and we're really disgusted with their report.
Cuero certainly is a class act and I congratulate them on a hard fought game, and a very successful season. Looks like you are loaded for next year, too.

Ranger Mom
12-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Crabman can post his random thoughts whenever he wishes!!

That was a GREAT post!!

gobblerfan02
12-11-2004, 04:25 PM
to crabman:

yah wylie does have a HUGE turnout for the football team and band...

as for the face paint...it's tradition in the playoffs for wylie

and fthe cost of houses...they did the same thing for the a-high vs. slc game...i don't even wanna say the average for the slc houses...idk why they do that either...seems kinda dumb and pointless

i liked your analysis of the game Hey, LALK, just wondering who Wylie has coming back besides the elusive QB...no hard feelings here, congrats to Wylie, and Cuero will be back, so I'm not worried!:)

forebevo
12-11-2004, 05:12 PM
there is a reason the paper is some times refered to as the distorter news.

although Ithink it may have improved some?

I Will say I have enjoyed Joshua Parrott. He was really good to us last year. He's a young guy getting better all the time.

Thats kinda the point isn't it.

cat dog horse
12-11-2004, 05:17 PM
nice post crabman

downlower
12-11-2004, 05:35 PM
what was going on with the face paint, i saw one of the wylie players on tv and he had like white paint on his face. it looked pretty gay, almost like he was trying to look scary or something.

whs34
12-11-2004, 06:25 PM
face paint or no face paint WE still won and i dont care who yall have come'n back next year

whs34
12-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know about how many people were at the game

gobbler grad
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
about 15,000

DFHM
12-11-2004, 06:34 PM
wow i can see the class from the wylie people *gives two thumbs down*

44INAROW
12-11-2004, 07:31 PM
"To the writer for the Abilene Reporter News that felt it necessary to report that the average cost of a house in Cuero is $39,000 compared to $139,000 in Wylie ISD and that Wylie is 82% white while Cuero is 51% white, that is not news.

from a former teacher @ Cuero High School. What she says, sure makes sense...
"There's a difference in being a winner and being a champion... I'd like to invite the reporter to visit Cuero.. Comparing the wealth of the respective communities was inappropriate and just plain silly. I'm sure his words were written in a fit of momentary enthusiasm..I doubt the educated people of Wiley believe that wealth makes people superior. It's a shame that those remarks weren't tempered by an editor. Since they were not, they tend to reflect negatively on the entire community. Cuero is proud of all its athletes and coaches.. I taught for 30 years and know that almost anybody can teach the top 10%. Cuero High is multicultural and a majority of students are on free or reduced lunch programs, yet boys and girls excel in all areas of competition both academically as well as athletically. I'm proud of this. God didn't give us deep pools of mineral wealth..Instead, he gave us a wealth of dedicated volunteers and while our pockets are not deep our hearts are generous."

DFHM
12-11-2004, 07:34 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DFHM
12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Question: When does the official All-state and everything else announced?

aforbs19
12-11-2004, 07:49 PM
i live in abilene and i'm on the wylie team...

congrats to cuero on your fantastic season, that was a great game and you fought your hearts out
it's a shame that one of us had to leave with a loss

about what the abilene reporter news wrote up about about us being white: they did the same thing against everman when we went to state 4 years ago. i think it's stupid

aforbs19
12-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Hey, LALK, just wondering who Wylie has coming back besides the elusive QB...no hard feelings here, congrats to Wylie, and Cuero will be back, so I'm not worried!:)

dont worry about wylie, every year we have a huge departure of seniors but still do great the next year, we lost the same amount of starters last year as we will this year...by the way, we still have #54 jared robertson coming back who i thought was the most dominating lineman in the state, i'm not just saying this because he's on my team but if you saw all of our games, you'd be thinking the same

gobblerfan02
12-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by aforbs19
dont worry about wylie, every year we have a huge departure of seniors but still do great the next year, we lost the same amount of starters last year as we will this year...by the way, we still have #54 jared robertson coming back who i thought was the most dominating lineman in the state, i'm not just saying this because he's on my team but if you saw all of our games, you'd be thinking the same

O definitely, he gave our boys trouble all night long, along w/ #88 I believe, or whoever the linebacker was making all the tackles on ya'lls defense! BTW, both defenses were stunning, especially Wylie's in the Red Zone, Cuero had its chances w/ turnovers but just couldn't get over that hump, gotta give ya'lls guys alot of credit there, even though our coaches weren't helping either, but the Wylie D stepped it up when they had to, and that's what it takes to win big ballgames. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

aforbs19
12-11-2004, 08:05 PM
O definitely, he gave our boys trouble all night long, along w/ #88 I believe, or whoever the linebacker was making all the tackles on ya'lls defense! BTW, both defenses were stunning, especially Wylie's in the Red Zone, Cuero had its chances w/ turnovers but just couldn't get over that hump, gotta give ya'lls guys alot of credit there, even though our coaches weren't helping either, but the Wylie D stepped it up when they had to, and that's what it takes to win big ballgames. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#88 did make some huge plays...our defense has done the same all year long, especially agaisnt decatur, i dont know if you heard about that game but in the 4th quarter they got in the red like 3 times and got nothing from it

crabman
12-11-2004, 08:09 PM
There are actually two all-state teams. ONe is done after the regular season but not yet announced. The other is done following the playoffs and is based mostly on playoffs. One is the coaches. The other is someone else. Sportswriters or somebody. I don't know who does the second one. Dist. 26 all district will be out this week as well as Victoria Advocate All-Area team.

Hope to see DFHM on both of those All-State lists.

TXMike
12-12-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by crabman
Someone told me one time that in order to call a state final you had to have 200 points of service. You get 1/2 point for a sub-varsity game and 1 point for a varsity game. If you are dedicated, it looks like 15 years minimum. Maybe TXMike could help us on this info.

There is no rule about the number of points you must have to refa final but the reality is that there is never anyone other than a Division 1 official in such a game. In order to get to Division 1 under the current system, you must have 660 points. You get points for things like your annual test score, the clinics you attend, and the games you work. Bottom line is that depending on the Chapter you are in, it could take you anywhere from about 12 to 20 years to get to Division 1.

I'd be less than honest though if I did not add that just because a guy is a Division 1 does not guarantee you that he is an excellent official (i.e. good physical shape, mentally prepared, emotionally sound, etc).

LALK
12-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey, LALK, just wondering who Wylie has coming back besides the elusive QB...no hard feelings here, congrats to Wylie, and Cuero will be back, so I'm not worried!:)

we're losing a lot of seniors on offense...but there are guys next year that will be able to step up...i believe there are only 2 starters on offense coming back next year....case #18 and sam eidson #78(offensive lineman) and britton barbee#59 got plenty of playing time this year so he'll be ready to go on both sides of the ball next year...and trent morris #2 will be ready to go at the receiver spot next year...on defense we will be returning a few players who had a LOT of playing time...jared robertson#54(best D-lineman in the state IMO)...austin sayre#27 who had 5 sacks against decatur...britton barbee he'll be a force to be reckoned with once again on defense...jacob jennings #35 started at inside LB and can make big defensive stops when you need them to be made...there is also a junior that will be a key player next year IMO who's name is skinner...either way i believe wylie will be back and they will once again be a force to be reckoned with

DFHM
12-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks Crabman. I hope I am on both list also :) . Would help out on recutment:p .

Whsdogs
12-12-2004, 02:44 PM
dont forget this years return man/wide reciever or whatever u need him for #20 gary edwards. Very fast, Very agile, and everything in between...just need to put on some weight and he will be something very very huge for wylie next year......and for the comment about wylie having "two thumbs way down" as for a certain cuero fan i guess who said wylies face paint is "gay". Its something wylie always does call it tradition call it superstition, but dont down a wylie poster when u have some cuero posters downing us. Thank you

44INAROW
12-12-2004, 02:51 PM
GO MEAN GREEN

LALK
12-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
dont forget this years return man/wide reciever or whatever u need him for #20 gary edwards. Very fast, Very agile, and everything in between...just need to put on some weight and he will be something very very huge for wylie next year......and for the comment about wylie having "two thumbs way down" as for a certain cuero fan i guess who said wylies face paint is "gay". Its something wylie always does call it tradition call it superstition, but dont down a wylie poster when u have some cuero posters downing us. Thank you

oh yeah definitely forgot about gary...not very big but EXTREMELY fast....as a freshman he won 5 gold medals at the district track meet (i'm pretty sure atleast)...if he ever gets in the open field NO ONE can catch him...

Bulldawgs100
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
dont forget about #77 Tyler Driskill, he is the guy who kicked the fg to clinch the state title, shows he is pretty good under pressure

Old Green
12-12-2004, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by crabman
[B]This may be a little lengthy so bear with me. Just a few thoughts on the season and this game.

First of all no one has the "greatest fans in the world". No one has ever done a study of every single teams fans and quantified their greatness. There are great fans, just not the greatest.

We need to come up with something else to say to kids and coaches on teams that get beat. "Great Game", "Get 'em next year", "You did the best you could" don't seem to get it. We need to work on this one.

Regarding the Wylie game, Casey Keenum is a talent. I was talking to one of our fans after the game. This "fan" happened to be a former coach at Baylor and Head Coach at Lamar University. He said Keenum didn't look that fast but those five yard white stripes just seemed to keep going by and going by. His ability to avoid a direct hit is something you can't coach. It should keep him healthy. The only problem I had was when he chose to take on our linebacker and not go out of bounds on the Cuero sideline. Cuero popped him and he came up swinging. Keep that temper under control. It could have cost Wylie the game.

#79 - You're a hoss. 6'-5" 325 lbs. Extremely good lineman. Watched him all night since he was up against my son when he was on defense. He should go on to the next level.

After the game, Coach Reeve kept saying "I am so sorry". Never, never, never apologize for being the most decent human I have ever met and turning a bunch of average talent into a contending team. When he got here we were coming off a 5-6 season and we entered last year ranked #89 in 3A. This year we are in the final. Amazing. Never apologize. Look at how much mention our guys get for the all-state teams. Probably not much. We have good talent, at best. Not great. He tought them to just play hard and see what happened. He is 23-3 since he came here. We have no egos. We have no thugs. Coach Reeve has been coaching 32 years and this is his first finals appearance. It will not be his last.

To the writer for the Abilene Reporter News that felt it necessary to report that the average cost of a house in Cuero is $39,000 compared to $139,000 in Wylie ISD and that Wylie is 82% white while Cuero is 51% white, that is not news. That smacks of Austin Westlake. We're White, We Win, We're Westlake. If I were your boss I don't know what I would do with you.

To the players who paint their faces, leave it to the fans. It really does look dumb and it diminishes what you do on the field.

How does Wylie get 35 seniors and 30 juniors on the football team? And still have that huge band? We only have about 65 boys in our senior class. 17 are on the football team. Probably 15 in the band. Thats 50% participation and I think that's good. Wylie must have 75-80% participation in these two activities.

This is just an observation and I have always said it, even when we were #1. The team that is 3A champion may not be the best team. They are the team that won the last game of the season. Don't forget that. I have always maintained that Cuero was not the best team, just the team that kept winning. Palestine, Wimberly, Decatur, Gilmer, Wylie, WOS, Jasper, anybody could be left standing at the end. It is Wylie this year. Cherish it and be humble. Cuero has been to the final 10 times since 1970 and only won it 3 times. Never take it for granted. Never gloat. Accept the compliments with a simple thank you. That is all that is needed.

Cuero will be back and we will be fine. Take a look at our starters.
Olguin - Tailback - Sophomore
Bomba - Tailback - Junior
Gray - Wide Receiver/defensive back - sophomore
Slone - Safety - Sophomore
Noack - Safety - Sophomore
J.T. Rudd - Tight End/Defensive end - Junior
Johnson - Tight end - Freshman
Gonzales - Defensive Tackle - Junior
Adams - Defensive Tackle - Junior
Williams - Safety - Sophomore

You forgot about Latreal Cooper. Even though he missed the whole season due to a knee injury. He was on Dave Campbell's top 100 underclassmen's list.:clap:

faithfuldog
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
after seeing this game ,it was a shame either team had to lose because both were talented and deserved to be in the finals. IMO Wylie played to win more... Cuero had many opportunities to bury Wylie but could not make the plays at the critical moments, This is what makes high school sports so much fun.... it's like opening a box of cracker jacks, you never know what you going to get on any given night. I've seen so many teams advance that were not (on paper or based on past performances) the best team, but somehow they found a way to win. For lack of a better explanation "they just wanted it more".

In my humble opinion, I believe coaching has a lot to do with the psyche of these young minds in getting them to be so motivated that they believe they can do extraordinary things that in their
"right minds" they could not come close to accomplishing. True, there are a few kids that will win in any situation regardless of the motivation, but to get a high school team to keep fighting against all odds and making the play when it needs to be made is something special. I'll keep paying my 5-10 bucks a game to see who is gonna show up on any given night. Hats off to all of 3A!!!!!

LALK
12-12-2004, 09:47 PM
yes and number 77...can handle pressure..i forget everyone...im sorry:(

crabman
12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
That is exactly how Cuero got here in the first place. Out of our 15 games this year, our opponents were within a touchdown of us in the fourth quarter in ten of those games and we always made the plays and found a way to win. We just kept winning. I don't know why. It just happened. We weren't the most talented. We just won.

This is the same reason that I will watch college football over pro and high school over college. TEAM enters into it more. Ask guys like Jason, Gsquared, or PPHSfan. They know it. They understand it. They appreciate it. They get it.

That being said, I don't think that Wylie wanted it more. That is a relative term. They made the plays that swung the momentum in their direction. My son missed Keenum's ankles by inches in the backfield on his last run that set up the winning field goal. Was it because Keenum wanted the run more than my son wanted to tackle him? I don't think so. It happened that way just because it happened that way. It is the way the play played out. Desire had nothing to do with it. It is a series of random events. Sometimes it goes your way. Sometimes it does not. To say Wylie wanted it more is to diminish what our boys did and to belittle their efforts.

Whsdogs
12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
oh yeah definitely forgot about gary...not very big but EXTREMELY fast....as a freshman he won 5 gold medals at the district track meet (i'm pretty sure atleast)...if he ever gets in the open field NO ONE can catch him...

yah he did win 5 golds cause he beat me in 2 events and i was runnin with him in 2 relays also...haha yah he beat me in long and triple jump and i was a senior...but hey i can get him in the 400 thats for sure haha just kiddin he would prob. beat me if he wanted to

FbCoachB40
12-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Congrats to the Cuero Football team and coaches! What a fantastic run. You guys play and coach with alot of class; however, many of your fans could take a lesson Reeve. Please don't get me wrong, I am sure that many of the fans are truly supporters of the program; however, after the game on Friday they were blaming the coaches for the loss. The coaches? Especially, Coach Reeve. You have got to be kidding me.
Blaming Coach Reeve for the loss in the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP is like blaming a "Who wants to be a millionaire" contestant for only winning $500,000. Give me a break!!!

Coach Reeve, your players don't act this way, because they are a representative of you. You are first class! Maybe these fans could go through Spring Workouts with you to develop more class. These fans are probably the same ones that BOOOOOed the Wharton football team as they left the field at half-time early in the season. I know that they were not booing the way our guys played.

To the Cuero fans: I know that this is not all of ya'll. So, if the shoe fits wear it!

crabman
12-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Coach Reeve is as fine of a human being as I have ever met in my entire life. Not just coaches I've met, but everyone ever in my entire life. That is how much I think of the man. I will take my chances with him for the next ten years if he is willing to go that long.

chugbug
12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
I hope what I am reading is not true. I cannot believe that any of the fine Cuero fans could possibly blame Coach Reeve for the lossl last Friday. He did not play one down of football. He is one of the finest coaches that I have ever met. I know that he had the Gobblers prepared. Cuero fans maybe on that night Abilene was just better.:eek: :eek: :flamingma :eek: :eek: :eek:

SintonFan
12-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Gobblers you made an awesome run this year. Your one loss is something to not feel bad about. You went farther than almost all thought you would. Keep your heads up and play for all the marbles next year(just not against my Pirates.:p )
Congratulations on an awesome season!