PDA

View Full Version : What Really Is Luck?

Roll'em up
12-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I was reading the "What it takes to win a State Title" thread and noticed that many if not all posters stated luck as one of the attributes to win it all. With that said, What exactly are you refering to as "Luck"?

TheDOCTORdre
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Calls that go in your teams favor at the right time, the ball bouncing your way on a fumble, and so on

Bullaholic
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
I was reading the "What it takes to win it all" thread and noticed that many if not all posters stated luck as one of the attributes to win it all. With that said, What exactly are you refering to as "Luck"?

Fumbles that bounce back to your QB or RB; FG's that hit the crossbar or upright and bounce over/in; Strong wind at your back in the 4th Qtr; DB's falling down; Good opponent draws in the playoff rounds---just to name a few.

Phil C
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets with opportunity." Darrell Royal

JasperDog94
12-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets with opportunity." Darrell Royal You beat me to in Phil!:p

raider red 2000
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
i had a coach henderson that would say that. it has stuck with me, but i had no idea where it came from.

Bullaholic
12-09-2004, 03:58 PM
And, of course, the old saying---"The harder I work, the luckier I seem to get."

BullFrog Dad
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
A big area where luck comes into play is injuries. Although some are brought about with big hits many happen due to bum luck like a player falling on his teammate's leg causing a knee injury for example.

rhs78
12-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Luck comes in alot of forms,winning coinflips,getting to play at home or nearhome,getting a few more good calls by ref's,wet field vs dry, bounce of the ball,making the right call and catching a defense or offense off gaurd, and on and on. thats luck some have it more than others!!!!!!

Hupernikomen
12-09-2004, 05:12 PM
No doubt Royal was right in what he said and intended for that to inspire his young men to outwork all others. But when two evenly matched teams meet up...sometimes it is just the way the ball bounces or what the referee did or didn't see.

Keith7
12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets with opportunity." Darrell Royal

I agree Phil except i heard it from Coach Byrd.. Coach Royal must have ripped coach byrd off

easttexan1
12-09-2004, 05:18 PM
I have always heard "you make your own luck", and with this years Jasper Bulldogs, I would say that is definitely true. To me, it seems that the bulk of their luck comes when they "make something happen". Hope they have 2 more weeks of good luck!

Phil C
12-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
No doubt Royal was right in what he said and intended for that to inspire his young men to outwork all others. But when two evenly matched teams meet up...sometimes it is just the way the ball bounces or what the referee did or didn't see.

Good point there Hyper!

AggieJohn
12-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
I was reading the "What it takes to win a State Title" thread and noticed that many if not all posters stated luck as one of the attributes to win it all. With that said, What exactly are you refering to as "Luck"?

ask texas, they can tell you first hand

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-09-2004, 07:12 PM
No such thing as luck, it's all destiny baby. ;)

j_dog
12-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity. :)

OldSkool1
12-09-2004, 08:45 PM
I dont think their is anything as luck...you put yourself in position to make plays or things to happen to you ...so its not really luck that a fumble happen, you found a 20 on the floor ...its putting yourself in that position...and Texas didnt get lucky...they put themselves in that position...No1 gets lucky...well maybe..put this is my defintion of luck...Actually...Bob Stoops said something similar to that about his team that they dont get lucky...but its true

Hupernikomen
12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by OldSkool1
I dont think their is anything as luck...you put yourself in position to make plays or things to happen to you ...so its not really luck that a fumble happen, you found a 20 on the floor ...its putting yourself in that position...and Texas didnt get lucky...they put themselves in that position...No1 gets lucky...well maybe..put this is my defintion of luck...Actually...Bob Stoops said something similar to that about his team that they dont get lucky...but its true

Hypothetical here....A referee blowing a call that leads to the winning score for one of the teams...what would that be?? I mean in the big view of things I don't believe in luck..but I would call that lucky. People say it all evens out, but in a close game it can come down to one or two bad calls...those calls are good luck for one and bad for the other.

I saw 3 passes in the Ned/Jacksonville game that were all called incomplete that were right on the ground...looked good from were I was sitting...film showed 2 of the 3 as obvious catches..is that luck for Jacksonville?

LH Panther Mom
12-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a case of bad luck to me, Hup. ;)