PDA

View Full Version : Parents go on strike...Move to front yard

jason
12-08-2004, 11:57 PM
from Yahoo.com

Parents Go on Strike, Move to Front Yard

DELTONA, Fla. - Even though the dishes, garbage and dirty laundry were piling up, homeowners Cat and Harlan Barnard were getting no help from their two children.

After begging and pleading with their 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter to help out around the house, the Barnards decided they were fed up. So they went on strike — and moved out to the front yard.

"This was our last-ditch effort," Cat Barnard said.

Since Monday morning, the Barnards have lived in a tent in their front yard, going inside the house only to use the restroom or shower. The couple sits on lawn chairs and roasts marshmallows over a hibachi.

Their children were confused on the first day when they came home from school. "It's extremely inconvenient," said their son, Ben Barnard. "Every time the phone rings, we have to run outside to give it to them."

Whether the couple's actions could be regarded as abandonment depends on how much guidance the parents are still providing and "if the children are suffering as a result," said Carrie Hoeppner, a spokeswoman with the Department of Children & Families in Orange County.

But Cat Barnard says the strike may already be paying dividends. She noted that her daughter washed her own clothes for the first time on Tuesday.

"This is war," Cat Barnard said. "I love my babies, but I don't like what they're doing."

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2004, 12:43 AM
stupid parents...everybody knows the best way to make this situation work is to put the kids in a tent in the front yard!

mustang04
12-09-2004, 01:16 AM
whatever happened to spanking the crap outta the kids....my dad used to use his leather belt, it we were outside, he'd grab a broom-weed, i think its sooooooo stupid that thy are makin it illegal to spank ur kids or w/e, its BULLS**T, it teaches the kids, i feel REALLY bad for the parents of this generation of kids when they get older and become teenagers, they are going to be SPOILED ROTTEN

i definitely wouldnt move outside, i'd get both kids in my room and i'd give them each 3 good licks w/ a belt

AggieBob
12-09-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
whatever happened to spanking the crap outta the kids....my dad used to use his leather belt, it we were outside, he'd grab a broom-weed, i think its sooooooo stupid that thy are makin it illegal to spank ur kids or w/e, its BULLS**T, it teaches the kids, i feel REALLY bad for the parents of this generation of kids when they get older and become teenagers, they are going to be SPOILED ROTTEN

i definitely wouldnt move outside, i'd get both kids in my room and i'd give them each 3 good licks w/ a belt

YAY for the whip!:clap:

TheDOCTORdre
12-09-2004, 01:22 AM
spare the rod spoil the child

mustang04
12-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
spare the rod spoil the child

AMEN BROTHA'

If u spank ur kid for this and that,
he'll most likely not becaome a spoile brat!
But if you dont spank or punish him well,
then when he grows up....get ready for hell!

AP Panther Fan
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Those people are idiots!:rolleyes:

How's that for my first post of the day!:D

PPHSfan
12-09-2004, 09:29 AM
A 12 year old daughter that had never done a load of laundry?

Begging the kids for help?

I think there is still a chance though. I have faith in our younger generation. This year I have witnessed prayer before and after football games by both teams together. I have witnessed a couple of kids getting their ass whooped at the grocery store for back talking. I even saw Gsquared make sure he waited until he was in a grassy area before he threw his empty Shiner bottle out the window.

There is hope.:)

NSUTrumpet08
12-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I can remember vacuuming the living room and mopping the kitchen and bathrooms and i did them just because i had to. No arguments about it. As for these kids, I don't know what to say...I can say that the parents own them; they pay for their food, clothing, shelter and yet they don't help their parents for the simplist things. Yet, i don't think living outside in a tent is the answer to their problems.

They need to show some back bone and lay down the law when needed.

Here's an example of what they should have done. Warning: if you are easily offended, don't click here...There are some vulgar words thrown in here but it makes a point...probably not the best but anywho...

Check this out! (http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html)

Remember that there is some language in here but it does have some good points...i guess...moderators can edit out the link if you get complaints...

jason
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
haha...those are hilarious...

mustang04
12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by NSUTrumpet08
I can remember vacuuming the living room and mopping the kitchen and bathrooms and i did them just because i had to. No arguments about it. As for these kids, I don't know what to say...I can say that the parents own them; they pay for their food, clothing, shelter and yet they don't help their parents for the simplist things. Yet, i don't think living outside in a tent is the answer to their problems.

They need to show some back bone and lay down the law when needed.

Here's an example of what they should have done. Warning: if you are easily offended, don't click here...There are some vulgar words thrown in here but it makes a point...probably not the best but anywho...

Check this out! (http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html)

Remember that there is some language in here but it does have some good points...i guess...moderators can edit out the link if you get complaints...
man u got lucky lol...i had to do those, then i also had to help my dad w/ fence building, working cattle, plowing the field, and landscaping...what makes me mad is after all that, he thinks im a bad kid cuz i go to town alot and i havent 'done anything like he did growing up' i guess he doesnt realize that not very many boys do what i did growing up

but it does crack me up when i hear ppl whine about having to vaccuum or something...but ill admit, out of anything...I HATE MOWING, so boring, that and plowing

spiveyrat
12-09-2004, 12:34 PM
I hope you people are spanking your kids as a last resort. I don't think we should be glorifying it. That said, I do spank. But VERY rarely. And my boy is VERY well mannered.

mustang04
12-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I hope you people are spanking your kids as a last resort. I don't think we should be glorifying it. That said, I do spank. But VERY rarely. And my boy is VERY well mannered.

well yeah...i mean im not gonna get peronal pleasure from it when i do spank my kids, but im gonna make them learn like i did

my dad would spank me alot, but then he'd sit me down and tell me why he does it and how fortunate i was that i had him as a parent instead of someone who didnt care what their kid was doing or anything like that...i love him for it:)

spiveyrat
12-09-2004, 12:47 PM
That's good that he would sit down with you and explain things. I think a lot of spanking is more of a "knee-jerk" reaction that could be dealt with in a better manner. I think some kids grow up resenting their parents because of it. And, I think it teaches them a lesson in violence... i.e. if I get mad or frustrated, it's acceptable to lash out or hit someone.

CHSBaseball07
12-09-2004, 07:25 PM
HAHA i saw that on CBS news this mornin....if you wanna get on TV go on strike and stay in ur front yard..lol hilarious.....funniest thing ive seen in a while.....they even had signs in the front yard

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Chinese Proverb

If the first lesson you teach your child is discipline than the second shall be whatever you wish.

whereugo
12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm thinking the guys would be outside in the tent - long before they turned 17 and 12 - who's in charge of this generation anyway - so many times it's not the parents.

CHSBaseball07
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
So tomorrow and next week instead of taking finals im gonna get all the students to stand in the front lawn of the church w/ tents and have signs that say on strike..haha....and say we learned it from the news and our elders

lepfan
12-09-2004, 08:33 PM
I say put the kids out in the lawn with a tent...I pay for the house!!

NSUTrumpet08
12-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Exactly!!! The parents paid for the house and i'm sure they bought their clothes and other things...shouldn't they get a little bit in return from their kids???

Yo-Tex Dawg
12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
since when is it illegal to whip your kids?