PDA

View Full Version : Here'sthe answer to Jasper's recurring place kicking problems.

pinecone
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Do like Newton, recruit somebody out of Brazil! Well actually he is an exchange student. Sure was nice of him to come the year that Newton plays for a state championship. Our guy this year has been a big improvement over last year. He has had some very good games. The college goal posts may be giving him some problems or maybe just the constant rain that hinders the kicking practice. Anyway, the Beaumont Enterprise has a nice article about Newton's field goal, extra point man. I hope our game with LH doesn't come down to the place kicking game, but if it does, I hope we have a hero on our team, 'cause I know our guy is capable.

easttexan1
12-08-2004, 07:37 PM
It seems to me that the easy answer(and one that I suggested to the coaching staff at least 10 years ago) is to tell the 8th graders that whoever kicks best at the beginning of their soph year is guaranteed a position as kicker. Isn't it funny that all these other teams can find a kicker, but Jasper can't? I don't think so! They either aren't looking hard enough or they think we are so good that we don't have to develop players like other people do.

Bulldog_12
12-08-2004, 07:39 PM
We had a good Punter/Kicker/Receiver last year with Johnny Land. His field goal was our saving grace against Manor last year.

pinecone
12-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Soph year might be a little too early, but you have the right idea. As I have said before, other parents see to it that their boys get to go to kicking schools, but in Jasper, we have a lot of parents who don't have any money and/or do not know about such things. Its not just the coaches, but it falls on them and they should make it a priority.

lv2937
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Burnets place kicker was a freshman this year, Did a great job. Did,nt miss an extra point or feild goal this year. Not bad for a freshman

SintonFan
12-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by lv2937
Burnets place kicker was a freshman this year, Did a great job. Did,nt miss an extra point or feild goal this year. Not bad for a freshman
Just don't do what the Cowboys did a few years ago. Win a game 21-14 with seven FGs.:o
j/k
I hope Burnet kicks some 4A Butt!:)

Old No. 7
12-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Jasper has had a youth soccer leage for over 10yr.s. I would think a kicker wouldn't be a problem. Instead of scanning the eighth grade, I'd try the soccer field first. Just my 2cents worth. ;)

easttexan1
12-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Jasper has had the soccer league for over 20 years, but to my knowledge we have never recruited a kicker from soccer. I truly think the coaches rely too much on the natural talent we have from year to year and just assume that some of the skills will just magically appear. We have had some repetitious weaknesses over the years, with little visible efforts to correct them. I have seen years when we started 2-a-days that we didn't have the foggiest idea which running back was going to be converted to quarterback. Let's start developing players and then imagine the possibilities.