PDA

View Full Version : Benson gets hosed!!!

JasperDog94
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Texas's Cedric Benson wasn't chosed as one of the final five Heisman candidates. Let's look at the stats:

Benson: (11 games)
303 Rushing attempts
1764 Rushing yards
5.8 avg
19 TD
22 Receptions
179 Reception yards
1 TD

Peterson: (12 games)
314 Rushing attempts
1843 Rushing yards
5.9 avg
15 TD
3 Receptions
6 Reception yards
0 TD

Bush: (12 games)
137 Rushing attempts
833 Rushing yards
6.1 avg
6 TD
41 Receptions
478 Reception yards
7 TD

Total yards:
Benson - 1973
Peterson - 1849
Bush - 1311

Total TD's
Benson - 20
Peterson - 15
Bush - 13

Both Peterson and Bush had one extra game on Benson. He outperformed them. Everybody is high on Peterson and justly so. But don't be blinded by him only being a freshman and already a stud. Benson is only the 5th back in Division 1-A football to rush for over 1000 yards in his four seasons in the NCAA.

What a load of crap!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

KTJ
12-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Hopefully, Ced will use this as fuel to beat the bejesus out of Michigan.

Here's rooting for Tech and OU too.

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 07:08 PM
now take a look at the schedules....
Didn't Peterson run all over Texas' high and mighty D?
but oh i forgot Benson ran over Baylor...:rolleyes:

CHSBaseball07
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
oh but i forgot.......Benson ran over A&M's High and Mighty Run Defense that all of you aggies were BOASTING about when yall held Peterson to whatever yall did......thats what i thought

JasperDog94
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I knew it would take long for an Aggie to bring that up...what with the hate for UT and all. OU had a better QB which opened up the running game. The Texas D stiffened up in the red zone in that game and held that offense to only 12 points. And I guess that Peterson didn't get to "pad his stats" with Baylor either.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheDOCTORdre
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Alex Smith?? Come on, look at the schedule he threw against

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2004, 07:12 PM
JD94, at least he didn't say TU. ;)

JasperDog94
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
oh but i forgot.......Benson ran over A&M's High and Mighty Run Defense that all of you aggies were BOASTING about when yall held Peterson to whatever yall did......thats what i thought By the way, what was that running back's name ya'll kept talking about...I didn't hear his name mentioned that much during the game...;)

JasperDog94
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
JD94, at least he didn't say TU. ;) Holy Cow!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: You're right!!!:D

PurpleHart
12-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by AggieBob

Bobby ur an idiot and always have been. to even say that benson had it easy... PLEASE!!!

OldSkool1
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by AggieBob

Benson did get the short end of the stick but if Im not mistaken Alex Smith did whatever to A&M's "D" so you would agree with him being a finalist ...RIGHT BOB? Have fun in Dallas Ill be in California

SintonFan
12-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Jeez, AggieBob could run 1000 yards behind Oklahoma's line.:doh:

LH Panther Mom
12-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Jeez, AggieBob could run 1000 yards behind Oklahoma's line.:doh:

You're right about that! ;)

Bellville22
12-08-2004, 07:45 PM
I, too, thought Benson would get an invite. But am I the only one who thinks Texas' top Heisman candidate is Derrick Johnson? I mean, if you want to talk about the best player on the field, and in my opinion, a top 3 player in the NCAA.

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
I, too, thought Benson would get an invite. But am I the only one who thinks Texas' top Heisman candidate is Derrick Johnson? I mean, if you want to talk about the best player on the field, and in my opinion, a top 3 player in the NCAA.

I do think Derrick Johnson should have been there also.

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Texas's Cedric Benson wasn't chosed as one of the final five Heisman candidates. Let's look at the stats:

Benson: (11 games)
303 Rushing attempts
1764 Rushing yards
5.8 avg
19 TD
22 Receptions
179 Reception yards
1 TD

Peterson: (12 games)
314 Rushing attempts
1843 Rushing yards
5.9 avg
15 TD
3 Receptions
6 Reception yards
0 TD

Bush: (12 games)
137 Rushing attempts
833 Rushing yards
6.1 avg
6 TD
41 Receptions
478 Reception yards
7 TD

Total yards:
Benson - 1973
Peterson - 1849
Bush - 1311

Total TD's
Benson - 20
Peterson - 15
Bush - 13

Both Peterson and Bush had one extra game on Benson. He outperformed them. Everybody is high on Peterson and justly so. But don't be blinded by him only being a freshman and already a stud. Benson is only the 5th back in Division 1-A football to rush for over 1000 yards in his four seasons in the NCAA.

What a load of crap!!!

THe heisman voters don't only take into account what you have done for yourself but what you have done for your team. Granted texas only had one loss, but OU and USC were undefeated and that counts for alot.

sahen
12-08-2004, 08:00 PM
im pretty sure it didnt work for Benson favor when he tells peopel that Ricky Williams is his idol and he wants to be jsut like him...i mean come on the older heismann voters rnt gonna vote for that nor some of the younger ones...the stats were close and when they take that into consideration they rnt gonna vote for him....also who's team is playing for a national championship? i know this is supposed to be the mvp of college football, but alotta times if ur team is in the hunt for the naitonal title it gives extra points for this award and its hard to beat out someone whose team is up for the national title....one more thing when u say u'd rather win the heismann trophy than beat OU u dont impress the voters who think football is a team sport...which would be all of them....in my opinion Benson shot himself in the foot when it came to the heismann...

rockdale80
12-08-2004, 08:02 PM
One of the leading rushers in the country.....still not enough. What a bunch of haters. Alex Smith...what a joke. Decisive win over a great team that lost to BAYLOR. Sorry it just amazes me that everyone is jumping on the Utah Bandwagon. So besides ATM who has Utah played this year.

lepfan
12-08-2004, 08:04 PM
would they have been influenced by Cedric's issues with the TV??

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
One of the leading rushers in the country.....still not enough. What a bunch of haters. Alex Smith...what a joke. Decisive win over a great team that lost to BAYLOR. Sorry it just amazes me that everyone is jumping on the Utah Bandwagon. So besides ATM who has Utah played this year.

I hope Smith wins...i think he has a good chance since the othe four guys have teamates with them in the running too. That could split alot of votes and give Smith the advantage.

rockdale80
12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Thats because it would make that loss to Utah look better, but there is no way around that looking like a disaster...dont get me wrong I like ATM, just wasnt their season...And I give praise based on performance. And lets face it...Utah is not that good.

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Thats because it would make that loss to Utah look better, but there is no way around that looking like a disaster...dont get me wrong I like ATM, just wasnt their season...And I give praise based on performance. And lets face it...Utah is not that good.

Yep, all those sports writers have NO idea what they are talking about...:rolleyes:

rockdale80
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
whatever makes you feel better about losing to two very bad teams...Utah and Baylor....thanks for the shirts by the way...they are pretty sweet

Keith7
12-08-2004, 08:47 PM

What a load of crap!!!

i dont know if somebody has already said this, cuz i dont feel like taking the time to read what others said, but i think the reason Benson isnt a nominee is because he didnt perform well in important games..

SintonFan
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
LOL
I support all TEXAS teams.
Too many relatives from most major universities here.:clap:

Keith7
12-08-2004, 08:57 PM

LOL these stats are impressive no matter who they played

185 CMP 280 ATT 2624 YDS 66.1 CMP% 9.4 YPA 28 TD 4 INT 174.9 Rat

------Rushing------
120 Att 563 Yds 4.7 Avg. 10 TD

KTJ
12-08-2004, 09:08 PM
im pretty sure it didnt work for Benson favor when he tells peopel that Ricky Williams is his idol and he wants to be jsut like him...i mean come on the older heismann voters rnt gonna vote for that nor some of the younger ones...the stats were close and when they take that into consideration they rnt gonna vote for him....also who's team is playing for a national championship? i know this is supposed to be the mvp of college football, but alotta times if ur team is in the hunt for the naitonal title it gives extra points for this award and its hard to beat out someone whose team is up for the national title....one more thing when u say u'd rather win the heismann trophy than beat OU u dont impress the voters who think football is a team sport...which would be all of them....in my opinion Benson shot himself in the foot when it came to the heismann...

LOL...none of those reasons are it.

No.

i dont know if somebody has already said this, cuz i dont feel like taking the time to read what others said, but i think the reason Benson isnt a nominee is because he didnt perform well in important games..

The only "important" game we had was OU. He had nearly 100 yards in that game.

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

The only "important" game we had was OU. He had nearly 100 yards in that game.

i'm glad you fell into my trap.. that was the exact game i was talking about.. Benson went over the century mark in every game this season.. except 1.. can u guess which one it was??

zooleander
12-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
i'm glad you fell into my trap.. that was the exact game i was talking about.. Benson went over the century mark in every game this season.. except 1.. can u guess which one it was??

thats not bensons flaw as a runningback...thats props to OU's defense for practicing on stopping him all week, just cuz OU's defense is awesome doesnt make Benson a sry running-back

KTJ
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM

Trap? I knew where you were going the minute you posted that. Your argument is nothing new and one that we haven't heard before.

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by zooleander
thats not bensons flaw as a runningback...thats props to OU's defense for practicing on stopping him all week, just cuz OU's defense is awesome doesnt make Benson a sry running-back

hmm sounds like an arguement i once made.. Just because the Pac-10 is week, that doesnt give ANY one a reason to move Texas ahead of Cal

CAL GOT SCREWED!!!! BCS BLOWS!!!!

rockdale80
12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Cal will have enough trouble with tech...then you will see why they got leap frogged....

SintonFan
12-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Cal will have enough trouble with tech...then you will see why they got leap frogged....
That looks very probable. Tech can win this game...

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:25 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA ok when Cal puts up 70 on tech, and michigan beats Texas i'm gonna get on here and laugh at everybody who thought differently..

p.s.
If you'd like to know who really got screwed out of a Heisman invitation just look in Berkley where 2 people got screwed..

Aaron Rodgers- Top QB prospect in the 2005 NFL Draft, and set a NCAA record when he completed 26 consecutive passes against #1 USC

Stats: 185 Cmp. 274 Att. 2320 Yards 67.5 Cmp. % 23 Td 7 Int

J.J. Arrington- More rushing yards then ANY running back in the nation..

Stats: 264 Att. 1845 Yards 7.0 Avg. 14 Tds.

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM

lol... your not gonna fall in to the "I hate the west coast" scam too are you SintonFan? i thought u were smarter

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by zooleander

also, Cory Ross of NEBRASKA was able to get over 100 yards on oklahoma, but benson couldnt lol

Bellville22
12-08-2004, 09:37 PM

Cal will win.

mustang04
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
also, Cory Ross of NEBRASKA was able to get over 100 yards on oklahoma, but benson couldnt lol

i agree w/ zooleander....i guaruntee you OU didnt put as much emphasis on shutting down Ross as much as they did Benson

Keith7
12-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i agree w/ zooleander....i guaruntee you OU didnt put as much emphasis on shutting down Ross as much as they did Benson

lol thats all nebraska can do

mustang04
12-08-2004, 09:51 PM
lol thats all nebraska can do

c'mon..u and i both know that OU didnt worry about Ross nowhere near as much as Benson...its NEBRASKA for cryin out loud

lepfan
12-08-2004, 11:38 PM

Well I didn't have a trap to fall in...just grasping at straws...LOL

sahen
12-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by lepfan

yes lepfan, but i was just going with this years issues...i figured that'd be enough, but thanks for adding...1 more thing people dont like, breakin and entering..

KTJ
12-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by sahen
yes lepfan, but i was just going with this years issues...i figured that'd be enough, but thanks for adding...1 more thing people dont like, breakin and entering..

Yes...because as we all know, that's the exact thing that didn't get him nominated.

In other related news, researchers have just identified what that big ball of fire in the sky is that heats things up.

Longhorn^
12-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Timmy Chang (http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/Candidates/Chang/career_stats.html)

What is wrong wth this guy?? He doesnt qualify for a Heisman Trophy? Sure he plays for Hawaii and doesnt have a tuff schedule but can anyone name one of the starting recievers? This guy has been throughing bombs for 4 years to no name recievers! kinda reminds me of Jeff Kingsbury from TT! Like Kingsbury, He is an awsome QB! But he didnt play for the right team and that is what he is getting penalized for! Compare his 4 year stats with any of the QB finalists for this years Heisman! Chang WINS! :thinking:

Keith7
12-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Longhorn^

Jeff Kingsbury

lol :confused:

Hupernikomen
12-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Has anyone considered that this is a possible backlash to Texas making a BCS game? Keep in mind that both human polls ranked Cal. ahead of Texas. It was the computer ranking that nudged Texas ahead. I don't think there is anyway that Benson does not get nominated if Texas gets hosed for the 2nd year and doesn't get a BCS bid. JMHO

rockdale80
12-09-2004, 12:27 AM
its not that i dont like the west coast....i just believe that tech can win that game....and i dont think cal is the team they have been made out to be...not saying tech will win, but they most certainly have the talent to pull it off.....and if they play the game they are capable of they can and will win....

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2004, 12:28 AM
While I agree that Cedric should have probably been a finalist, I'm not that worried about it, because come April, he's going to be a very high draft pick...just look at the teams that might be getting the number one pick next year...San Francisco and Miami could both use a running back right now.

BTW, not to be a homer or anything, but UNT's Jamario Thomas had a better season than any of the Heisman finalists, but he obviously wasn't included because of his team record, so that also lends credibility to the thought that Benson's team came up short, so he did too. Anyway, here's Jamario's stats:

Jamario Thomas
G ATT YDS AVG YPG TD
9 256 1709 6.7 189.9 17

LALK
the only thing that matters in college football is the fact that auburn is not the number one team in the nation...USC will impress me if they beat oklahoma..until then...they're nothing but a team from a mediocre (spelling?) conference compared to the SEC and the Big 12...if they beat oklahoma then i'll be glad to say they MIGHT be able to beat auburn...but i doubt it...

Keith7
its not that i dont like the west coast....i just believe that tech can win that game....and i dont think cal is the team they have been made out to be...not saying tech will win, but they most certainly have the talent to pull it off.....and if they play the game they are capable of they can and will win....

what has Cal done to make you think they are not the team they are made out to be??

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2004, 12:31 AM
what has Cal done to make you think they are not the team they are made out to be??

Did you see the Southern Miss game...one good XP and Cal probably ends up at least going to OT if not losing...that's not a BCS team.

Keith7
12-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Did you see the Southern Miss game...one good XP and Cal probably ends up at least going to OT if not losing...that's not a BCS team.

1 called back controversial touchdown and it would have been a blowout, but after the called back touchdown Cal chose to take a knee the rest of the game..

Cal was in control of that entire game Southern Miss had a good drive to bring the game close toward the end but the game was never in question...

now if u wanna talk about a BCS team almost losing a game to a team worst then Southern Miss?? how about UT vs. Kansas..

KTJ
12-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Has anyone considered that this is a possible backlash to Texas making a BCS game? Keep in mind that both human polls ranked Cal. ahead of Texas. It was the computer ranking that nudged Texas ahead. I don't think there is anyway that Benson does not get nominated if Texas gets hosed for the 2nd year and doesn't get a BCS bid. JMHO

Hump is hitting the nail on the head....

Agreed. Cal fans have already been quoted as saying that Tech doesn't even deserve to be on the same field as Cal. Couple that with this being Tech's highest bowl since 1995, and things are looking peachy for an upset. Leach will have that system offense blowing Cal away.

BTW, not to be a homer or anything, but UNT's Jamario Thomas had a better season than any of the Heisman finalists, but he obviously wasn't included because of his team record, so that also lends credibility to the thought that Benson's team came up short, so he did too. Anyway, here's Jamario's stats:

Yeah, JT should have been up there in some sort of award. Possibly the Doak Walker. What's funny is that he was the backup RB this year. :D

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2004, 12:36 AM

now if u wanna talk about a BCS team almost losing a game to a team worst then Southern Miss?? how about UT vs. Kansas..

good point...

KTJ

Or how about Cal vs. Oregon.

AggieJohn
I knew it would take long for an Aggie to bring that up...what with the hate for UT and all. OU had a better QB which opened up the running game. The Texas D stiffened up in the red zone in that game and held that offense to only 12 points. And I guess that Peterson didn't get to "pad his stats" with Baylor either.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

peterson actually didn't start till like the 3rd game or so

Keith7
12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

Agreed. Cal fans have already been quoted as saying that Tech doesn't even deserve to be on the same field as Cal. Couple that with this being Tech's highest bowl since 1995, and things are looking peachy for an upset. Leach will have that system offense blowing Cal away.

Its true Tech doesnt deserve to be on the same field as Cal.. and i'll stick to my word, and if i'm wrong and the game is even close, i will love for all of you guys to serve me up a huge peice of crow pie

Keith7
12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Or how about Cal vs. Oregon.

How about Texas vs. Arkansas

crzyjournalist03
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
How about Baylor vs. A&M? :doh: nevermind...

KTJ
12-09-2004, 12:50 AM
How about Texas vs. Arkansas

Ahhhaaa! So you admit that Cal isn't the perfect team you claim them to be.

Keith7
12-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Ahhhaaa! So you admit that Cal isn't the perfect team you claim them to be.

closer to perfect then texas.. i just see 1 close blemish on Cal's schedule.. i see 2 maybe 3 on texas'

rockdale80
12-09-2004, 01:12 AM
i can see cal and texas playing in a big bowl game...my problem lies in utah and pitt playing in them.....come on...and cal did get hosed....more than benson....as for tech...i think they play hot and cold...either they are on fire or cant but a first down....

CS_WILDCATS
12-09-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
I think you hit the nail on the head - That plasma tv thing did play some part in being invited. These voters want a good guy, the all american guy and Cedric just doesn't fit the bill. Stats are great there is no arguing that, but a good citizen is still in doubt. By the way I'm calling my shot - Michigan will beat Texas and run the table next year on there way to a title. Go Blue!

OldSkool1
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by CS_WILDCATS
I think you hit the nail on the head - That plasma tv thing did play some part in being invited. These voters want a good guy, the all american guy and Cedric just doesn't fit the bill. Stats are great there is no arguing that, but a good citizen is still in doubt. By the way I'm calling my shot - Michigan will beat Texas and run the table next year on there way to a title. Go Blue!

Im not to sure about that one ...Henne or whatever his name is hasnt seen a Lb like Johnson but maybe your right ....ummm...NA....Besides Edwards on offense I see no1 to really hurt Texas ...and please dont say Henne

cameron
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Jamario Thomas won the moneypenny trophy as a freshman, and he missed two games....out of a 11 game season....too bad he wasnt in a Div. 1 school would have been interesting to see what he would have done in the running for the heisman....
ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD
2004 256 1709 6.7 17 2 10 5.0 0

Phil C
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
One thing Red River Traitor :) and OK did do when they played Texas was stay away from Derrick Johnson and wisely so and even then he made some plays. On the few plays they did run on his side they made sure he was double teamed but they wisely stayed away from that side mostly.

Phil C
12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
And what is this I read about Jason White being a sixth!!?? year senior at OK.

jason
12-09-2004, 11:24 AM
he was given another extra year for a medical redshirt or something...

JasperDog94
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
closer to perfect then texas.. i just see 1 close blemish on Cal's schedule.. i see 2 maybe 3 on texas' Huh. That's funny. I thought they each had only 1 loss.

whtfbplaya
12-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Dont forget that this is the same guy that said he would rather win this award than beat Oklahoma.

Panther Ross
12-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
oh but i forgot.......Benson ran over A&M's High and Mighty Run Defense that all of you aggies were BOASTING about when yall held Peterson to whatever yall did......thats what i thought

I don't unerstand. I think you are just mad that the defense sent from God did not hold together against Peterson.

whereugo
12-09-2004, 08:03 PM
That 's why a lot of folks don't put much stock in these post-season "honors". Things like this happen way too much!

Keith7
12-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Huh. That's funny. I thought they each had only 1 loss.

KTJ was talking about a near loss to Oregon, so i was showing him there were games that Texas had that were not very impressive either