PDA

View Full Version : AP Columnist speaks out

AggieJohn
12-08-2004, 04:09 AM
By: Matt Hayes

I'm done with this crazy poll business. Don't ask me to vote again AP, because I'll laugh at you and your silly system of uninformed voters who don't take it seriously.

How on earth could some voters have dropped California or jumped Texas to put the Longhorns in the Rose Bowl ahead of the Bears? It's a damn shame.

Here's some advice for AP voters: Watch the games. Cal is significantly — that's right, significantly — better than Texas.

Who could watch Louisville and Utah and not also believe they would beat Texas and its one-dimensional offense?

I've had Cal, Utah and Louisville ahead of Texas on my AP ballot for the last month. Why? Because after actually watching games, I made an informed opinion that on a neutral field, Texas couldn't hang with any of the three.

What exactly has Texas done to prove it belongs among the elite of the nation, other than blow nearly every meaningful game under coach Mack Brown? Bottom line: Texas and Cal had ugly wins this season and played in conferences in down cycles. So let's go to the key game for both: the losses. Cal lost at the No.1 team in the nation (USC) on the last play of a game it should have won. Texas didn't sniff the end zone in a shutout loss to Oklahoma on a neutral field.

Polls and bowls are all about controversy; it's the lifeblood of the game. It gives every season unique and ever-changing flaws that are at times as much a part of the sport as the games. The problem is, many poll voters don' t watch the games and don't care enough about their place in this annual circus. I'd be willing to bet more than half of the AP voters have no idea who Ryan Riddle is. He's only second in the nation in sacks and has been one of the most dominant defensive players in the nation. By the way, he plays defensive end for Cal.

Those same voters are probably a little shaky on J.J. Arrington, too — the only back in the country to have at least 100 yards in every game this season. He's a tailback; he plays for the Bears, too. But you better believe they know Texas tailback Cedric Benson, who tanked three straight years against Oklahoma but has a lot of yards against the Baylors of the world. And the Longhorns' Vince Young, who as a quarterback, is a really good tailback. And they know about poor Mack Brown, the coach who tries so hard but just can't get his team to win a big game.

And while we're at it, let's congratulate those computer polls, which, according to the BCS honchos, weren't going to have as much of an impact on the BCS race this season. Well, Cal finished No.4 in both the human polls — one spot ahead of Texas in the coaches poll and two spots ahead of the Longhorns in the AP poll — and got bumped out by geeks with slide rules.

Texas whined and complained last year when it was left out of the BCS chase. Less than a month later, it waltzed into the Holiday Bowl and got physically whipped by a decent Washington State team. So instead of a little humility after last year's embarrassing finish to the season, Brown and the Longhorns were at it again last week, politicking to the very end.

Please Michigan, do us all a favor and expose the Longhorns once and for all. And expose those poll voters in the process. A damn shame, alright.

Port_town_texas
12-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Oh well he isn't GOD so......Who cares whut he thinks UT is in the Rose Bowl and his team is not. period, end of discussion.

spiveyrat
12-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Sounds like a http://www.simpsonscrazy.com/homer/1t.gif

:D

Phil C
12-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Who is this guy and who does he write for? If Oklahoma whips USC bad he will have egg on his face. :) Anyway I hope you keep your word and don't vote Matt but my guess is that you will be back voting next year and have some excuse for coming back! If not then good riddance!

jason
12-08-2004, 09:41 AM
gee i wonder if this guy went to a&m....

jason
12-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
back voting next year and have some excuse for coming back! you know he will...they always do...

PPHSfan
12-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Now I really hope Tech hangs half a hundred on Cal. And I hope OU beats USC by twice that many. Then he can take his left coast rag and use it to wipe away the tears.

Bellville22
12-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Interesting article.

Jet1
12-08-2004, 02:42 PM
it is sad that things did not go his way. It sounds like the world would be a better place if we would all listen to him

Jet1
12-08-2004, 02:43 PM
in other words, someone tell him to shut up and quit crying

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
wow talk about someone who eats wamburger and frenchcrys for breakfast lunch and dinner!! im not saying cal isnt a good team, but texas is a much better team than cal. their only loss was to the number 2 ranked team in the bcs. i dont care what the polls say texas is better than cal.

rhs78
12-08-2004, 02:50 PM
This guy has blown a major gasket, sounds like a left-coast whinner!!!!!. More power to UT and OU and Tech. they all three will win

Phil C
12-08-2004, 02:54 PM
The California Quarterback said his coach and californians had lots of class but now after this guy's comments and the request of the Pacific League president I wonder.

Bellville22
12-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
[B but texas is a much better team than cal. their only loss was to the number 2 ranked team in the bcs. i dont care what the polls say texas is better than cal. [/B]

Cal's only loss was to the number 1 team in the bcs! by 6, at their place! I don't care what the polls say, Cal is better than Texas

Bellville22
12-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rhs78
This guy has blown a major gasket, sounds like a left-coast whinner!!!!!. More power to UT and OU and Tech. they all three will win

don't forget A&M, they have a good matchup

I think A&M and Texas have the best chance of winning out of the Big XII teams

Hupernikomen
12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
which aggie website was that created on?

ask all the many people who vote for these polls and you will get as many different opinions as you ask people..or more.

Ranger05
12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Cal's only loss was to the number 1 team in the bcs! by 6, at their place! I don't care what the polls say, Cal is better than Texas cal will get beat by tech all i have to say is they better be able to cover the pass cause that rush defense isnt gonna help them in this one tech is all pass good luck cal all i have to say is u better hope the red raiders dont show up to play cause they have the fire power to whip the snot out of u. Tech is over looked every year and they're a good team.

Ranger05
12-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Bellville22
Cal's only loss was to the number 1 team in the bcs! by 6, at their place! I don't care what the polls say, Cal is better than Texas and USC isnt the #1 team in the nation everybody will see when OU shows and whips them from start finish all i have to say is good luck with peterson ur gonna need it

Bullaholic
12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
AggieJohn...Why not try being a Texan first and an Aggie second? I am proud anytime any Texas team gets to represent the Lone Star State anywhere, and so should any Texan. I'm a UT and Frog fan, but I'd support A&M as a loyal Texan whenever and wherever they may play.

JasperDog94
12-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
AggieJohn...Why not try being a Texan first and an Aggie second? I am proud anytime any Texas team gets to represent the Lone Star State anywhere, and so should any Texan. I'm a UT and Frog fan, but I'd support A&M as a loyal Texan whenever and wherever they may play. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

rhs78
12-08-2004, 03:52 PM
AggieJohn...Why not try being a Texan first and an Aggie second? I am proud anytime any Texas team gets to represent the Lone Star State anywhere, and so should any Texan. I'm a UT and Frog fan, but I'd support A&M as a loyal Texan whenever and wherever they may play.

AMEN, i have always pulled for all texas schools and never talk ill about the other teams period, i think its called respect!!!!

Ranger05
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
AggieJohn...Why not try being a Texan first and an Aggie second? I am proud anytime any Texas team gets to represent the Lone Star State anywhere, and so should any Texan. I'm a UT and Frog fan, but I'd support A&M as a loyal Texan whenever and wherever they may play. no joke cause im going for A&M in the cotton bowl because there from texas , 2nd off im going for them cause they represent the big 12. I mean common do u hate texas that badly to wish them the worst.

JasperDog94
12-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
I mean common do u hate texas that badly to wish them the worst. I know a couple of people like this.:( Oh well. That won't keep me from cheering for ALL Texas schools...including OU.:D :D

Phil C
12-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I know a couple of people like this.:( Oh well. That won't keep me from cheering for ALL Texas schools...including OU.:D :D

:clap: :D

Hupernikomen
12-08-2004, 05:09 PM

So well put. The one thing that turns me off about A&M is the "cultlike" sensation against UT. I cheer on all Texas schools but typically lean toward UT for some reason I can't put a finger on...probably because they are usually Texas' best chance to win a national championship in most sports.

AggieJohn
12-08-2004, 05:23 PM

my priorities and loyalties(in order):
1.) A christian- a sinner saved by grace
2.) A son-to a loving mom and dad
3.) A man trying to lead a christian relationship with his girlfriend
4.) An Aggie
5.) An BYX brother
6.) A texan- i love this state

currently

big daddy russ
12-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
which aggie website was that created on? Actually, it came out on ESPN.com...

I don't agree with it 100%. I do think that UT is almost as good as Cal, and that either could hang with any of the top three teams, but that Louisville, Utah and everyone else would get hammered by either team.

AggieJohn
12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
oh and who said i posted this article i found to discredit texas univ. i just put it up there because it was interesting....

however i do feel that cal did get jipped....mainly because mack went around politicing......i am glad that texas is where they are, they are happy and i have congradulated numerous texas students that i know on them getting a BCS bid...however, you can't discredit CAL.....i just don't understand now how they are left out

Ranger05
12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
my priorities and loyalties(in order):
4.) An Aggie

currently u are blinded by that yea its great to support ur team. But have some respect for other programs and be happy UT got the major bcs bowl. Cause somebody correct me if im wrong but i always thought all the money that the teams from the big 12 bring is divided thoughout the big 12 GUESS WHAT THAT HELPS THE AGGIES

AggieJohn
12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
read latest post...

JHS_c/o_06'
12-08-2004, 05:36 PM
i saw it on foxsports.com, i emailed him...lol...still waiting on a reply.

Bulldog_12
12-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Shut your yapper JHS and get on AIM:D

Ranger05
12-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
read latest post... my bad aggiejohn

Bullaholic
12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
I just hope that for the sake of Texas collegiate football pride that A&M, UT, and Texas Tech all win their bowl games. It's been a long while since more than one Texas school has won a post-season bowl and I'm tired of the Lone Star being tarnished in national football circles.

CHSBaseball07
12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
That guy is a complete idiot.

'Nuff Said

Tell him to come to Texas and say that

rockdale80
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
all i will say about utah is their best win was against a team that LOST to Baylor. Cal lost to a team that barely beat UCLA. An UNRANKED team. So say what you will about it, but whatever Mack said it worked....and they only lost one game. So what would make anyone think Texas isnt capable of playing with the big boys. If Cal is such a competitor with one loss, why would Texas not be? Cal will have their hands full with Tech anyway.....By the way the BCS sucks.

AggieBob
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM

Texan by birth, Aggie by the grace of God.

I also think Aggie and Texan go hand in Hand though. Did you know before every HOme game our band plays Texas our Texas right after the star spangled banner. Aggies respect their heritage of being a Texan (if they are one) but count their blessings because they are Aggies.

KTJ
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Remember guys, if it disgraces UT in any way, shape, form, or fashion, it's the best thing ever and everyone needs to hear about it. After all, that is what being an Aggie is all about--watching, waiting, hoping, and seeing The University of Texas fail.