PDA

View Full Version : Why not Yacares!!!

Phil C
12-07-2004, 03:44 PM
No one in Texas has Yacares as their mascots. I wonder why not. I don't think anyone in the USA does either. You could put your arm in the air and close your fist and say "Yacares!"

Pronounced Ya-ca-res. Accent on the e in res.

Bullaholic
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
No one in Texas has Yacares as their mascots. I wonder why not. I don't think anyone in the USA does either. You could put your arm in the air and close your fist and say "Yacares!"

Pronounced Ya-ca-res. Accent on the e in res.

It would be even neater to be the "Whocares", Phil....:D

raider red 2000
12-07-2004, 03:48 PM
what does it mean?

Bullaholic
12-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
what does it mean?

Alligators.....

Phil C
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Very good Bull. They are actually smaller than alligators and are found in rivers in South American countries such as Portugal and Coasta Rica. They are close to being alligators though.

pirate44
12-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Very good Bull. They are actually smaller than alligators and are found in rivers in South American countries such as Portugal and Coasta Rica. They are close to being alligators though. maybe there is a peewee soccer team some where in Costa Rica whose mascot is the Yaceres.

AP Panther Fan
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Maybe some pee wee soccer team in Costa Rica has been eaten by Yacares!:eek:

Sorry!:D

Bullaholic
12-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Very good Bull. They are actually smaller than alligators and are found in rivers in South American countries such as Portugal and Coasta Rica. They are close to being alligators though.

Not to nitpick, Phil....but I think Portugal is a little closer to Spain than South America. Maybe you meant Brazil---they speak Portugeuse. Costa Rica is actually in Central America, also.

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:10 PM
I stand corrected Bull. They are found in Central America and South America along rivers. The main countries they are found in are Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Uraguay. They are members of the crocodilians and are similar to alligators.

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Maybe some pee wee soccer team in Costa Rica has been eaten by Yacares!:eek:

Sorry!:D

Actually the Yacares are probably big soccer fans! Come to think of it there have been many fights in that area over soccer games and the Yacares may have been in the middle of it. :)

AP Panther Fan
12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Actually the Yacares are probably big soccer fans! Come to think of it there have been many fights in that area over soccer games and the Yacares may have been in the middle of it. :)

Ha ha....bet they are big fans of eating soccer players in Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uraguay anyway. If they were in the middle of it, I would imagine everyone else was heading for the hills. :D

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
The Battle of the Yacares is a great short story written by Horacio Quroga in 1919. He was from Uraguay. We read that story when I was in Spanish Class in high school. It is a good short story. You can read it by putting yacares on search the web and then you can read it in Spanish or English. The English translation is not very good but you will get the general idea.

PPHSfan
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
The Battle of the Yacares is a great short story written by Horacio Quroga in 1919. He was from Uraguay. We read that story when I was in Spanish Class in high school. It is a good short story. You can read it by putting yacares on search the web and then you can read it in Spanish or English. The English translation is not very good but you will get the general idea.

I knew you were setting up your plug for this story. I was just wondering how long it was going to take you.:D

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Ha ha....bet they are big fans of eating soccer players in Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uraguay anyway. If they were in the middle of it, I would imagine everyone else was heading for the hills. :D

Actually they are better behaved than most of the human soccer fans unless they are provoked too much. :) Many years ago when I was in college I took spring break vacation to Argentina rather than go to the beach and became good friends with the Yacares. They became fans of UT and Freer Buckaroos. Of course when they heard I had moved to Sinton they now pride themselves on being friends of the Sinton Pirates and the Sinton GodFather. They are still big UT fans and keep up with the Pirates and UT on the internet. They really love that soccer though. :D

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I knew you were setting up your plug for this story. I was just wondering how long it was going to take you.:D

Did you get to read the story PPHS? Fantastic story! :)

Bullaholic
12-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Actually they are better behaved than most of the human soccer fans unless they are provoked too much. :) Many years ago when I was in college I took spring break vacation to Argentina rather than go to the beach and became good friends with the Yacares. They became fans of UT and Freer Buckaroos. Of course when they heard I had moved to Sinton they now pride themselves on being friends of the Sinton Pirates and the Sinton GodFather. They are still big UT fans and keep up with the Pirates and UT on the internet. They really love that soccer though. :D

Don't wake the "Howling Yacares".......

PPHSfan
12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Did you get to read the story PPHS? Fantastic story! :)

I read the story of the Yacares when I was just a lad.

pirate44
12-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
hehe. which mascot would win in a fight...the Howling Bear or the Hissing Yacare??

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

MAGNIFICIENT BULL!!! :)

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
hehe. which mascot would win in a fight...the Howling Bear or the Hissing Yacara??

Too close for me to call Pirate! I would sure hate to be in the middle of it! :)

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Actually our softball team we had (a one time weekend thing between three teams with adults and kids) a softball team that were called the Yacares. Out of three teams the Yacares won second place. I was the assistant coach. We would have won first but the umps were cheating. :)

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Actually our softball team we had (a one time weekend thing between three teams with adults and kids) a softball team that were called the Yacares. Out of three teams the Yacares won second place. I was the assistant coach. We would have won first but the umps were cheating. :)

Say maybe we were the first team in Texas or even USA to be called the Yacares! Don't worry though. If anyone wants to adopt that name as their mascot I don't have a patent on it. :D

PPHSfan
12-07-2004, 05:52 PM
There used to be a story about a boy from Bolivia that had a dog that could "whip any dog".

He used to take it to town and bet Twenty Bolivianos that his dog could win the fight in less than one minute.

Every saturday he would go to town and take on all dog owners with the same result. His dog would win and he would be twenty bolivianos richer.

News traveled up to Texas and a cowboy from the King ranch took his blue heeler down for the challenge.

The cowboy asked the Bolivian boy if he would entertain a larger bet, of 500 US Dollars. The bolivian boy quickly took the bet.

They turned the two dogs loose, and within ten seconds the blue heeler was toast.

The cowboy asked the Bolivian boy, "gee son, what kind of dog is that?"

The Bolivian boy said. "well before I chopped off his tail and painted him brown he was a yacare."

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
I like it Pirate44!

"BEWARE OF THE HISSING YACARE!!!"

AP Panther Fan
12-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Well, I feel like I have been hooked and reeled in.:rolleyes:

One thing for sure though....I won't soon forget what a yacare is or where they come from! Always a bright side!:D

Phil C
12-07-2004, 05:56 PM
There used to be a story about a boy from Bolivia that had a dog that could "whip any dog".

He used to take it to town and bet Twenty Bolivianos that his dog could win the fight in less than one minute.

Every saturday he would go to town and take on all dog owners with the same result. His dog would win and he would be twenty bolivianos richer.

News traveled up to Texas and a cowboy from the King ranch took his blue heeler down for the challenge.

The cowboy asked the Bolivian boy if he would entertain a larger bet, of 500 US Dollars. The bolivian boy quickly took the bet.

They turned the two dogs loose, and within ten seconds the blue heeler was toast.

The Bolivian boy said. "well before I chopped off his tail and painted him brown he was a yacare."

Fantastic PPHS!!

Bullaholic
12-07-2004, 06:00 PM

Very nice adaptation, PPHSfan....

bullfrog_alumni_02
12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Ha ha....bet they are big fans of eating soccer players in Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uraguay anyway. If they were in the middle of it, I would imagine everyone else was heading for the hills. :D do you think paraguay and uraguay will ever go to war to see who is guayer??:D

PPHSfan
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
do you think paraguay and uraguay will ever go to war to see who is guayer??:D

They could never be guayer than the soccer players from Argentina.:D

AP Panther Fan
12-07-2004, 06:39 PM
They could never be guayer than the soccer players from Argentina.:D

:eek: :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh