PDA

View Full Version : Best Jasper Team

YBS
12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I rank this team #1, but 02, and 95 were strong teams. 96 was great too, but that's when I graduated so I'm biased.

spiveyrat
12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
I think the '02 team was the best. They just weren't ready for Burnet's style of football.

Hupernikomen
12-06-2004, 01:00 PM
I would probably put the 86 and 84 teams way up there..

86 put about 6 players in the swc and sec. get the years mixed up..I would call this the 04 team but they will graduate in 05...

Jody
12-06-2004, 01:26 PM
This is encourgaing to see. If the Jasper team that played the Yomen is a "best" team, then BH will whip them good....:D

Despite my fine tag line curteousy of Hupernikomen.... :D

P.S. WOS SUCKS!

:clap:

TigerShark
12-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Now we are talking.

I can't even start to compare these teams of the 00's with the teams of the 80's. Although the new teams are good and have went farther, I just think that the playoffs are watered down.
The Jasper team that beat WOS for district and then lost to WOS in the playoffs was for real. Coach Walkoviak had a team in the late 70's that went 9-0-1, did not make the playoffs and the team that they tied won the state championship. It was a Beaumont School, their record was 15-0-1.

I am a Newton grad and fan, but even though we won state in 98 and are playing for anotther, there is no way these teams can compare to the 82 team that tied Cameron and then lost to them on first downs. That Newton team had 4 D-1 players (Texas, TCU X2, and Arkansas) and later a SF 49'er.

Now you tell me, is the three team playoff system good or bad.
I think it is good, we have won a state championship in it and we are now playing for another. But, those great teams in the past have to feel gyped.

JasperDog94
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm going with the 86 dawgs. That was one awesome team. Got beat by a trick play that's now illegal.

Jody
12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by TigerShark
Now we are talking.

I can't even start to compare these teams of the 00's with the teams of the 80's. Although the new teams are good and have went farther, I just think that the playoffs are watered down.
The Jasper team that beat WOS for district and then lost to WOS in the playoffs was for real. Coach Walkoviak had a team in the late 70's that went 9-0-1, did not make the playoffs and the team that they tied won the state championship. It was a Beaumont School, their record was 15-0-1.

I am a Newton grad and fan, but even though we won state in 98 and are playing for anotther, there is no way these teams can compare to the 82 team that tied Cameron and then lost to them on first downs. That Newton team had 4 D-1 players (Texas, TCU X2, and Arkansas) and later a SF 49'er.

Now you tell me, is the three team playoff system good or bad.
I think it is good, we have won a state championship in it and we are now playing for another. But, those great teams in the past have to feel gyped.

The 04 Newton team ain't bad. Looked impressive in the Dome Saturday. I just can't figure how Anahuac beat them...Anahuac was terrible this year. Guess all those turnovers killed them.

DawgFan91
12-06-2004, 03:41 PM
'86 was the best I have seen and then I would say that the '84 (I think) team with Reggie Davis and Tony Allen was second. That team lost to Tomball but dominated the game everywhere but the scoreboard.

Curtis Hafford, James Bevil, Michael McFarland, Raefel Adams, and Chris Hunt. Beaumont TV stations called Jasper "Chris Hunt Land" that year. West Orange game should've been over in the first quarter but the fumbles on the goal line killed us.

WOS1
12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91
'86 was the best I have seen and then I would say that the '84 (I think) team with Reggie Davis and Tony Allen was second. That team lost to Tomball but dominated the game everywhere but the scoreboard.

Curtis Hafford, James Bevil, Michael McFarland, Raefel Adams, and Chris Hunt. Beaumont TV stations called Jasper "Chris Hunt Land" that year. West Orange game should've been over in the first quarter but the fumbles on the goal line killed us.

I've got that 86 playoff game on tape... It's funny how people remember that game. I remember us almost giving the game away in the 1st quarter with 3 turnovers near our goal line. When Jasper could only get 9 points off of them, it gave us momentum. There was some talent on the field that night...

Jdog, is the "guard around" illegal now??

kepdawg
12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
No disrespect to this years group, but I the mid 80's through the early 90's teams would be ahead of them in my book.

JasperDog94
12-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Jdog, is the "guard around" illegal now?? yes

Haunta Yo
12-06-2004, 06:21 PM
86 put about 6 players in the swc and sec

Is the question about the best TEAM or the team with the best individual talent? Those are 2 different questions entirely.

89JDAWG
12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by DawgFan91

that was 88

YBS
12-07-2004, 01:58 AM
I guess this would be more about the team with the best overall talent. Lest we forget that the 95 team had Spooney who led the Area in passing, and two of the top three rushers in the area with Limbrick and TC. Also, had Victor Payne who went to TCU, about 5 players who went to Henderson State, and Darwin Scott blue-chipped both his junior and senior year and was a Willie Ray finalist.