View Full Version : #9 Burnet Bulldogs

Matthew328
07-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Burnet Bulldogs
School Colors: Green, Silver and White
Last Year: 8-3 playoff team
Starters Returning: 9 offense 8 defense
Key Players: KR-WR Jordan Shipley, RB Patrick Miller, DL Mark Manning

Matthew328's outlook: With a ton of starters and some of the best skill people in the state, Burnet could be the team to beat in Region 4...Shipley is as dangerous as they come at returning kicks as he earned 2nd team all-state honors as a sophmore..Miller gaines over 1200 yards and packs a punch at 195 and has break-away speed..Shipley is also a great reciever as he hauled in 47 passes 15 of those for TD's and with QB Stephen McGee back the offense should be tough to stop....defense should be improved with 8 starters back Manning leads the way and DB Warren Christian leads the secondary...I look for Burnet to possibly be the team that has the tools to knock off Sinton in Region 4..of course that is easier said than done, but if there is a team in Region 4 it is Burnet..

Chris Hart
07-01-2002, 10:31 PM
I agree that Burnet is one of the best teams in Reg 4 and have a legitimate shot at being reg.4 champions.I attended every game last year and they were very close to being 11-0 and going to Area.Their first loss was opening night against Taylor which they had a pass batted down from inside the Taylor 10 yard line in the endzone as time expired.They dominated the game statistically but suffered from 8 turnovers.Their second loss came at Wimberley after Burnet rallied from a early deficit and a questionable fumble (much like the one against Bellville)late in the game and the clock ran out with Burnet driving deep in Wimberley territory as time expired.And the last loss against Bellville in the playoffs, they were down 20-14 at the Bellville 2or 3 yard line facing 3rd and goal with about 25 seconds to play, RB Patrick Miller was met at the goalline by 2 defenders pushed back to the 5 (forward progress was never ruled at the goalline)before the defenders managed to pull the ball loose and it was ruled a fumble.And Bellville ran out the remaining time.
All this to say just how close they were to competing for the region last year, With all the returning players and an 8-2 JV and a undefeated Freshmen team I really like their chances this year.

Not taking anything away from the other teams listed above they were one good team in Taylor and two really good teams in Wimberley and Bellville.

Go Big Green!