PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame wins!

Phil C
12-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Notre Dame wins the 2004 NCAA women's soccer national championship today by beating UCLA in a very close game. The game was tied 1 - 1 after two overtime and went into shootout penalty kicks and the Irish were able to win 4 - 3 in penalty kicks. Even after five penalty kicks (pks) the teams were tied at 3 to 3 pks each but in the first sudden death pk the Irish blocked the UCLA penalty kick and made theirs giving them the win and the national championship. The teams were even and it is probably best that it happened that way because both teams got their goal during the game in a horrible manner. UCLA got theirs because the Irish player kicked the ball back to her goalie and misjudged sending into the net for UCLA point and then UCLA gave the Irish their point by fouling in the box and ND made it. A great game well played by two great teams except for those points. What do I feelthe chances are that the Irish Ladies will be able to repeat next year. Well with soccer the way it is I will say very little to none at all chance. That is soccer! Especially women's soccer nowadays. I would say UNC will be back but that isn't the certainty it was two years ago. We will see. Exciting times coming next year.

Phil C
12-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Both goalies played great games which is one reason why there was little scoring. Even though UCLA lost they have a magnificient freshman goalie. Both points scored were not the fault of the goalie.

Phil C
12-06-2004, 03:19 PM
That is the great thing about soccer. You never know what will happen. Just because you are national champions this year doesn't mean you will repeat next year or even get to the elite 8. It is a great sport indeed!