PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on games I saw this weekend.

PPHSfan
12-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Royse City vs Wylie:

Wylie dominated the line on both sides of the ball. They outplayed Royse City and they beat RC handily. Congrats to Wylie on a well played ballgame.

Gilmer vs Tatum:

Although Stephen Hodge is a tremendous athlete, he never had a chance in this one. Gilmer has 3 D1 seniors on this team and a few more underclassmen that will be. Manual Johnson is a D1 WR that looks like a D1 QB. He probably could play QB at several colleges. He throws the ball to a D1 WR that simply outruns the safety, gets open and catches the long ball on the run. This is very hard to defend. Gilmer has the whole package. They can score from anywhere on the field and they execute on most every play. Gilmer is my pick for State in D2. I don't think they can be stopped. PS. The Freshman OL on Gilmer is a load.

Jasper vs Marlin:

Tank Smith is a good athlete. He is not the six foot seven inch four hundred pound running back that runs a two second forty that I was expecting, but he is a load. If he were about 4 inches taller and was a little bit quicker when changing directions he would probably be playing D1 ball next year. Other than Tank, marlin did not really have much. They had a QB that could scramble around for fifteen seconds behind a decent line, but it's not hard for 5 guys to hold off a three man rush. Jasper looked very weak in the pass defense, but against a sometimes lazy Marlin defense, they were able to move the ball all the ground at will. I observed several times when Marlin defenders were standing around watching the play unfold. I think the Jasper Bulldogs have a decent team, and they run the smoke and mirrors option in a way that is fun to watch, but standing on the outside looking in, they take too many chances and need a few big plays to win against a solid team. I don't think they will beat Liberty Hill, and they just don't have enough team to hang with the likes of Gilmer. But they sure were fun to watch.

PS. Where were the Marlin Fans? There were not many for a team in the fourth round. The ones that were there did make some noise though. I will give them that. Jasper had a good turnout of fans.

Bellville22
12-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

PS. Where were the Marlin Fans? There were not many for a team in the fourth round. The ones that were there did make some noise though. I will give them that. Jasper had a good turnout of fans.

Could be wrong, but I think that Marlin had a much longer drive than Jasper. Probably hurt the turnout.

Holmes_Fans
12-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey pphs I didn't forget about meeting you. I ended up not going to the game.

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Very nice anaysis, PPHSfan. I haven't been to a really closely contested playoff game yet. You going to take in Snyder/Gilmer?

PPHSfan
12-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Very nice anaysis, PPHSfan. I haven't been to a really closely contested playoff game yet. You going to take in Snyder/Gilmer?

I am taking Gimer. I am gonna look at some Snyder film before I say by how much though.

My early thoughts are Gilmer by a bunch.:)

PPHSfan
12-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Holmes_Fans
Hey pphs I didn't forget about meeting you. I ended up not going to the game.

It's ok. I looked for you but I was not upset when I did not find you. I looked for several folks at the Jasper Game too, but I could not find anyone. Lot's of fans on that Jasper side though.

marlin fan
12-05-2004, 07:00 PM

PS. Where were the Marlin Fans? There were not many for a team in the fourth round. The ones that were there did make some noise though. I will give them that. Jasper had a good turnout of fans. this happens if we are winning big or lossing big the so called fans will leave- its been like this for ever.

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Jasper vs Marlin:

They had a QB that could scramble around for fifteen seconds behind a decent line, but it's not hard for 5 guys to hold off a three man rush. Jasper looked very weak in the pass defense, but against a sometimes lazy Marlin defense, they were able to move the ball all the ground at will. I observed several times when Marlin defenders were standing around watching the play unfold. I think the Jasper Bulldogs have a decent team, and they run the smoke and mirrors option in a way that is fun to watch, but standing on the outside looking in, they take too many chances and need a few big plays to win against a solid team. I don't think they will beat Liberty Hill, and they just don't have enough team to hang with the likes of Gilmer. But they sure were fun to watch.

Sounds good to me. Jasper's pass defense schemed poorly for most this game and when they finally did start sending a linebacker it helped the poor corners and safties who were trying to cover 5 receivers for 20 seconds which is near impossible. Jasper doesn't impress a lot of folks who watch them, but the bottom line is the Dogs keep finding a way to make it to the semi-finals. This is 4 years in a row that we have made it 4 rounds deep. I don't think any team left in the playoffs this year in 3A can boast that. Lots of folks probably like you think it is the end of the road for the dogs. I can honestly say that there is not a 3A team in the state of Texas that has the speed that we have and I am certain that our defense and skilled players will give us a shot at this week's game and next weeks if we are so fortunate to be playing then.

Nice analysis btw.

PPHSfan
12-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Did you not make the trip early and watch Gilmer vs Tatum? While I agree with most eveything you said, especially the part about trying to cover for 20 seconds, Tatum and Gilmer BOTH had every bit as much speed as Jasper. So do teams that are gone, like Dallas Madison, Wilmer Hutchins, and a few more. Jasper has a ton of speed, but they don't hold a monopoly on it.

I will say this again.

Watching Jasper run the option is worth the price of a ticket all by itself.:)

easttexan1
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
I have definitely had my doubts about Jasper this year. Very interesting team. When they play, I don't think they can be beat. We only had about 6 minutes of offense against Cameron Yoe, and more like 20 minutes against Marlin. You never know what team is going to show up or how long they will stay; the great team or the embarassment. I have learned that the team that makes something happen is the team that often wins, and Jasper is currently making alot happen. They have turned more bad into good recently than I have ever seen. We watched West Orange win several championships doing the same thing. Don't show up if you don't have your heart medicine.

j_dog
12-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Did you not make the trip early and watch Gilmer vs Tatum? While I agree with most eveything you said, especially the part about trying to cover for 20 seconds, Tatum and Gilmer BOTH had every bit as much speed as Jasper. So do teams that are gone, like Dallas Madison, Wilmer Hutchins, and a few more. Jasper has a ton of speed, but they don't hold a monopoly on it.

I will say this again.

Yes, Hup and I made the trip and watched Tatum and Gilmer. Yes, they certainly have some speed. There is no denying that. And they looked to be at least as big as the 4a Jacksonville team we saw play Nederland this year. I just hope both Jasper and Gilmer get to the Finals so that we can see how they truly match up on speed. Obviously Gilmer would get the nod on size and passing efficiency.

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 08:25 PM
Jasper will stomp Gilmer. They are a high enrollment 4-time high- bracket finisher in Division I. Taking nothing away from Gilmer but they are not ready for that kind of competition of the caliber of Jasper. Jasper has already played some really good 3A and 4A competition(all season long) and they don't need anything fancy to win, just ask Marlin.

j_dog
12-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Jasper will stomp Gilmer. They are a high enrollment 4-time high- bracket finisher in Division I. Taking nothing away from Gilmer but they are not ready for that kind of competition of the caliber of Jasper. Jasper has already played some really good 3A and 4A competition(all season long) and they don't need anything fancy to win, just ask Marlin.
OC, thank you for the confidence. I like most of your posts, but I saw Gilmer. They are every bit as scary looking as the Burnet team that whipped us in our first year in 3a. I like to think that Jasper would make a better game of it than Tatum did. But, a very big but, Jasper first has to take care of LH, or Gilmer talk is irrelevant anyway. And Gilmer also has a game this week don't they? :confused: :thinking:

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal

Old Cardinal.....Tatum was considered to have some of the best 3A talent in East Texas, and Gilmer beat them pretty solidly. I can't imagine that Jasper's talent is much better than Tatum's, so I can't agree with you on Jasper "stomping" Gilmer. I think this will be a close game with either team capable of getting the win. IMO, nobody in 3A has an athlete of the caliber of Johnson, and I believe he's good enough to make the difference against any team in 3A, including Jasper.

PPHSfan
12-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't even think Jasper is gonna play Gilmer. I think LH will. But it is obvious that Old Card has not seen Gilmer. He thinks that Jasper's deep run in Region 3 for the past several years makes them a Statewide Powerhouse that can whip anyone. Jasper has a good football team, but Old Cardinal told us in 2002 when they rolled thru region 3 that they were going to shout-out Burnet and Forney or Everman to take the title. Old Card has a vast knowledge of the teams in the Golden Triangle. I just wish he would gas up his suburban and make a few road trips before he makes such claims. I will bet him a months salary that IF Jasper gets a shot at Gilmer the only "Stomping" that will be going on will be Old Cardinal in the parking lot on his way back to the car.:D

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
lol, PPHSfan.....I agree---LH may have more than a little say before Jasper can look by them to Gilmer.

JHS_c/o_06'
12-05-2004, 09:04 PM
I dont know why yall are talking about Jasper vs Gilmer. We both have a game this week, and it might be Snyder vs Liberty Hill for the ring. Or....i could be Jasper vs Gilmer for the ring. But i will tell you this, Jasper WILL come ready to play a better game then we played against Marlin. And we wont just talk about it, we'll be about it.

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I dont know why yall are talking about Jasper vs Gilmer. We both have a game this week, and it might be Snyder vs Liberty Hill for the ring. Or....i could be Jasper vs Gilmer for the ring. But i will tell you this, Jasper WILL come ready to play a better game then we played against Marlin. And we wont just talk about it, we'll be about it.

No "y'all" to it there JHS---Old Cardinal seems to have a Jasper/Gilmer championship game firmly in his mind, and I was just pointing out that "IF" this did occur that I didn't think that a "stomping" of Gilmer was likely. And you are correct---all the teams left are certainly capable of beating each other.

Astrosdawg07
12-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Old Cardinal.....Tatum was considered to have some of the best 3A talent in East Texas, and Gilmer beat them pretty solidly. I can't imagine that Jasper's talent is much better than Tatum's, so I can't agree with you on Jasper "stomping" Gilmer. I think this will be a close game with either team capable of getting the win. IMO, nobody in 3A has an athlete of the caliber of Johnson, and I believe he's good enough to make the difference against any team in 3A, including Jasper.

I beg to differ, I believe Edrick Bronson is one of the best athletes in 3a. By that is only one mans honest opinion!! GO DAWGS!!!!

Bulldog_12
12-05-2004, 09:19 PM
I saw the Gilmer/Tatum game and the Jasper/Marlin Game. Ill have to say that Gilmer is very good on offense, but seemed pretty weak on defense. Tatum still gained 450 total yds. of offense and lost due to some poor decisions made by the QB (ie holding the ball and trying too hard to make a play when he shoulda throw it away, and not seeing the whole field when there were clearly receivers open on the other side of the field). Im not saying that Gilmer's QB didnt do the same thing, its just that they had more athletes that could cover for his decisions at times. Tatum centraled around their QB who was an excellent athlete, and Gilmer had a few others to go with it. I say that Gilmer is good, but when they meet up with a really high-powered offense, they will have to hope that they can outscore the opponent.

Jasper and Marlin was, I thought, a little disappointing. I really thought that Marlin was going to come out and show me something by all the hype they had gotten, and the hurting they put on K-ville. I thought Jasper looked really good, they kept it simple and held onto the ball and looked better than I have seen them all year. I think they can definately take it if they play like they did yesterday. This week will be a good test for them. But then again, I thought yesterday would be too.:D

Astrosdawg07
12-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I dont know why yall are talking about Jasper vs Gilmer. We both have a game this week, and it might be Snyder vs Liberty Hill for the ring. Or....i could be Jasper vs Gilmer for the ring.But i will tell you this, Jasper WILL come ready to play a better game then we played against Marlin. And we wont just talk about it, we'll be about it.

DAMN RIGHT!! GO DAWGS!!!! :clap:

Bulldog_12
12-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Alright Andrew, don't make everyone think Jasper is arrogant.:D

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by AChesnut
DAMN RIGHT!! GO DAWGS!!!! :clap:

If you're a Jasper player or student, I would't expect you to have any other attitude, AChesnut---that's what its all about--giving your best effort out there on the field or supporting your team vigorously. Properly motivated players and fans are a big part of making Texas High School football the entity it is. Best of Luck to you and your team!

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 09:50 PM

I will say this again.

I saw the game. I was impressed with both teams size and not necessarily their speed. Sure the skill players had good speed...we have team speed. That is the only way our little guys have made it this far. It is what is keeping us in games and will have to do the same this week against a bigger LH team.

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I saw the game. I was impressed with both teams size and not necessarily their speed. Sure the skill players had good speed...we have team speed. That is the only way our little guys have made it this far. It is what is keeping us in games and will have to do the same this week against a bigger LH team.

Huper....I know nothing about Jasper, except what I have been gleaning from the posts. Yours is one of the best to say it susinctly--- Jasper's biggest strength is overall team speed. We know "Speed kills", and so it might for Jasper. It certainly worked for Gainesville a couple of years ago. Thank you.

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 10:39 PM
hmm to think I have someone fooled into thinking I know something about Jasper High School football. We own more state track championships and state records past and present than you can shake a stick at. These boys are blazing fast. If we win it all it will be because we stop people once they get to the red zone. People make it there all the time but few find their way into the endzone.

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
hmm to think I have someone fooled into thinking I know something about Jasper High School football. We own more state track championships and state records past and present than you can shake a stick at. These boys are blazing fast. If we win it all it will be because we stop people once they get to the red zone. People make it there all the time but few find their way into the endzone.

Some of the best high school games that I have ever watched have been between teams that are similar in their strengths instead of opposites. Sounds like some of these remaining game matchups may fall into the "similar" category. LH is supposed to have a really potent offense with good team size.

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 11:38 PM
I think that is exactly what I saw saturday in gilmer vs. tatum and Jasper vs. marlin..two sets of similar teams..both were exciting games to watch.