PDA

View Full Version : The BCS is a mess!

Phil C
12-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I don't know if they are going to pick Texas or California so I am posting this now before the fact. I am doing this because I am a UT fan but I don't want folks to say I am doing it because Texas didn't get chosen. It is going to be close and I don't know the choice yet.. But no matter which one they pick it is a mess and an injustice to the one not chosen.
Auburn is especially left in the cold with a great record. Of course the ESPN announcers were right that if you had to pick two it would be UCS and OK but the point is we need at least an 8 team playoffs. They said everyone wanted No. 1 and No. 2 but they failed to point out that was the lesser of two evils because everyone really wants a playoff. The BCS does not work and never will work. Look at the history. Miami beats Florida yet Florida got to play OK and got whipped of course for the national championship a few years ago. Last year USC had a perfect record but they chose LSU (who won) and OK and this after OK had got whipped bad in Big 12 championship game. The USC doesn't work. And we can't really blame the college presidents because we must remember they are figureheads for the college boards (or is it bored:)) of directors. If the Boreds uh Boards told them to have playoffs they would be voting for it. Division 1 football is behind the times is the problem. They need to pay off BCS whatever it costs to get out of the contract and establish a real playoff system with at least the top 8 teams regardless of regions. If Pacific 10 has three top teams then they are all in. Sixteen teams would be preferred but I could live with 8 teams. Then take BCS as I have said before to the nearest dumpster, dump it in, and then walk away and not look back.

jason
12-05-2004, 01:30 PM
no offense phil...but how many threads are we gonna see that say the bcs sucks...we all know it sucks...and it will continue to suck as long as they still use it....they still have like a 3-5 year contract so we just have to learn to live with it.......

3afan
12-05-2004, 01:44 PM
ABC, 4pm

Tiny
12-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Texas Baby!!!!!!!! Tx vs Michigan Rose Bowl You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and LH 49 Jasper 35

HighSchool Fan
12-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Last year USC had a perfect record

Didn't Cal beat USC last year. I thought USC, LSU, and OU all had 1 loss.

pantherpop
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Tiny
Texas Baby!!!!!!!! Tx vs Michigan Rose Bowl You heard it here first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and LH 49 Jasper 35
Texas all the way however you made a mistake. !!!!!!!!
!!!!! Jasper 35 Liberty Hill 14.

Keith7
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
CAL #1!!!!!!!!!!

3afan
12-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
Didn't Cal beat USC last year. I thought USC, LSU, and OU all had 1 loss.

yes thats correct ...

3afan
12-05-2004, 03:05 PM

nope - i heard it first on ESPN radio (DFW 103.3 FM) this morning about 7:30 when I was walking the dog ....

CHSBaseball07
12-05-2004, 07:56 PM
WAY TO GO TEXAS!

Phil C
12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by jason
no offense phil...but how many threads are we gonna see that say the bcs sucks...we all know it sucks...and it will continue to suck as long as they still use it....they still have like a 3-5 year contract so we just have to learn to live with it.......

Nothing money can't cure Jason. Contracts can be brought out just like coaches when a school wants to fire them. :)

Phil C
12-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Texas is in and that is great! Cal is the one that got cheated this year.

Everything bad I said about the BCS I take back with regret!!
NOT!!! I still say BSC is no good and has to go. :)

spiveyrat
12-05-2004, 08:07 PM

No way will LH put 49 points on the Dawgs. :rolleyes:

Keith7
12-05-2004, 08:22 PM
I dont have a problem w/ the BCS, i like the system and i think it creates good matchups, but the problem i dont like is that the bowl games are screwed up.. why don't they set up the bowl games like this

#1 vs. #2
#3 vs. #4
#5 vs. #6
#7 vs. #8
#9 vs. #10
#11 vs. #12
#13 vs. #14
#15 vs. #16
#17 vs. #18
#19 vs. #20
#21 vs. #22
#23 vs. #24
#25 vs. North Texas

that seems like it'd made sense..

but because it is not like this, #5 Cal goes from a well anticipated game against Michigan, to a game in which they will more then likely blow out Texas Tech...

and UT will more then likely lose to Michigan.. it doesnt upset me that they dont have playoffs, it just upsets me that they cant count, and have whacky bowl scenarios

Bulldog_12
12-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I am happy that UT made the BCS, but think that Cal got screwed over. They won their game and still didnt make it in. On ABC, they said that the thing that "solidified" UT's berth was the OSU game. Oh well, A&M now gets to go to the Cotton Bowl, and yours truly will be there. We play Tennesee and I haven't watched them much so I dont know what to expect. I also think that Cal is gonna be pretty pissed and take out their frustration on Tech in the Holiday Bowl. Poor poor Tech.

jason
12-05-2004, 09:25 PM
id pick tech to beat cal before i picked a&m to beat tennessee

Rabbit'93
12-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Can someone please tell me why all the Texas faithful are so gung-ho about getting into a meaningless bowl game? you have no chance of winning a national title and what do you get for beating a #21 team? What's worse is, what if you get beat by a #21 team. I mean unless you are OU/USC does it really matter whether you go to the Rose or the Cotton. The only difference is $. Someone please explain.

PS I am not an aggie

sahen
12-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
The only difference is $.

im not a UT faithful, obviously from my sig, but u pegged it right there, but u might wanna take into consideration ur not talkin thousands of dollars in difference, but millions....and it helps recruiting too, though i dont think they need much help in that category....
oh yah one more thing...its nice for those UT football players to finally get a BCS bowl...they have been on teh bubble so much it isnt really funny...

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Yeah, I am happy that UT made the BCS, but think that Cal got screwed over. They won their game and still didnt make it in. On ABC, they said that the thing that "solidified" UT's berth was the OSU game. Oh well, A&M now gets to go to the Cotton Bowl, and yours truly will be there. We play Tennesee and I haven't watched them much so I dont know what to expect. I also think that Cal is gonna be pretty pissed and take out their frustration on Tech in the Holiday Bowl. Poor poor Tech.

Bulldog....you're just gonna "love" Tennesee's colors.....

football4life
12-05-2004, 11:13 PM
well, we're all BCS haters, and i cant say im much of a fan of the NCAA in particular. but those issues aside, im pumped for the Ags gettin the big cotton bowl berth. should be a great game, good turnout for the homestate fans. go Ags!

oh and i cant wait to watch mike leach & co. ha.

Bulldog_12
12-06-2004, 12:38 AM
I know, at least we have another chance and can maybe get a win against an orange team.:D

westTXbest
12-06-2004, 12:55 AM
I think ut deserves to be there and cal lost it cause i think the voters wasnt impressed with them having hect with sothern miss LOL, and texas had 3 wins against top 25 teams and cal had one. The pack 10 is a lot weaker than the big 12, but i dont understand y v tech and pitt is in why shoul they get automatic bids they dont deserve to be there, the best 8 teams should be playing, pitt and v tech is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!

KTJ
12-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Can someone please tell me why all the Texas faithful are so gung-ho about getting into a meaningless bowl game? you have no chance of winning a national title and what do you get for beating a #21 team? What's worse is, what if you get beat by a #21 team. I mean unless you are OU/USC does it really matter whether you go to the Rose or the Cotton. The only difference is $. Someone please explain.

PS I am not an aggie

1.) recruits
2.) respect
3.) revenue

big daddy russ
12-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by westTXbest
I think ut deserves to be there and cal lost it cause i think the voters wasnt impressed with them having hect with sothern miss LOL, and texas had 3 wins against top 25 teams and cal had one. The pack 10 is a lot weaker than the big 12, but i dont understand y v tech and pitt is in why shoul they get automatic bids they dont deserve to be there, the best 8 teams should be playing, pitt and v tech is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! Cal and Tech should both be in, period. If we could knock out Pitt and include the Bears, I'd be happy.

big daddy russ
12-06-2004, 01:55 AM
id pick tech to beat cal before i picked a&m to beat tennessee I wouldn't.

JasperDog94
12-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
1.) recruits
2.) respect
3.) revenue Heavy on the recruits. It really helps because everyone knows that Jan. 1st means bowl games. Lots of people will be watching.

jason
12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
id pick tech to beat cal before i picked a&m to beat tennessee

Originally posted by big daddy russ
I wouldn't.

Originally posted by big daddy russ
Here's to UT and A&M losing you wouldnt ??

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24012&perpage=20&pagenumber=3