PDA

View Full Version : East Texas

Buckeye80
12-05-2004, 12:35 PM
I titled the thread East Texas so all of you West Texas people that hate us for some reason wouldn't read it!:D

This is just something that I think is cool. What if this happened?

AAAAA Div I Champion - Tyler Robert E. Lee
AAAA Div I Champion - Marshall
AAAA Div II Champion - Kilgore
AAA Div II Champion - Gilmer
AA Div II Champion - Troup
A Champion - Big Sandy

Every one of these towns is within 50 miles of each other. That would be a nice little concentration of some very good football, IMHO.

And a quick question, in case someone knows........when was the last time that two teams from the same county won state championships? I'm sure it's happened. Gilmer and Big Sandy are both in Upshur County. That would be pretty cool too!

VWG
12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
That would be an extremely strong accomplishment.
I was just thinking this AM about teams from around the Wichita Falls area. Within 20 miles of W. Falls you had (4A) WF Rider who lost to Aledo 40-35 in Region I final.
Iowa Park (3A) who lost to Snyder 21-7 in the Region I Semi's.
Henrietta (2A) who lost to Boyd 32-22 in the Region I Finals.
Holliday (2A) who lost to Canadian 26-25 in the Region I Finals.
Windthorst (1A) defending state champ who beat Haskell 27-6 in the Region II finals.

Again, all of these teams went deep into the playoffs. Only Windthorst will still be playing. All of these teams are concentrated in an area that is about 20 miles around the Wichita Falls area.
Quite a little hotbed of high school football.

DragonEagle01
12-05-2004, 02:40 PM
East Texas has done great in the playoffs this year wish canton could have made it but east texas looks good.

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 02:49 PM
well you still have Lufkin, Newton, and Jasper going here in the pineywoods portion of east texas...I guess we count as east texas.

Old Green
12-05-2004, 02:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing here in the Victoria area. We had three teams left up until this week all with in 30 miles of each other.

Cuero in Div.1 3A
Hallettsville Div. 2 3A
Shiner 1A

Cuero and Shiner #1 in 1A is all that is left.

Gilmer Buckeye
12-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
well you still have Lufkin, Newton, and Jasper going here in the pineywoods portion of east texas...I guess we count as east texas.

Yeah, you're definitely in East Texas. But Gilmer and Big Sandy are also in the pineywoods. Just come by my house some time. My yard is full of 90-foot loblolly pine trees. Here's a map showing the counties classified as being in the Pineywoods:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Statewide/photos/Pineywoods/Pineywoods.html

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 03:31 PM
ok I have no problem including you guys in the pineywoods...just don't want us east texans down here to the south disenfranchised with all this east texas state championship talk..

could include us and make it more impressive...
5A Div. I Tyler Lee Div. II Lufkin
4A Div. I Marshall, Div. II Kilgore
3A Div. II Gilmer or Jasper
2A Div. I Newton, Div. II Troup
1A Big Sandy

NSUTrumpet08
12-05-2004, 04:12 PM
I would like to see Jasper and Newton win state titles! :) Ooh..and Lufkin too!

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
I would say there is a good chance that Jasper, Newton, and Lufkin will win the State Championships--now that is a tight cluster!

3afan
12-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
I titled the thread East Texas so all of you West Texas people that hate us for some reason wouldn't read it!:D

This is just something that I think is cool. What if this happened?

AAAAA Div I Champion - Tyler Robert E. Lee
AAAA Div I Champion - Marshall
AAAA Div II Champion - Kilgore
AAA Div II Champion - Gilmer
AA Div II Champion - Troup
A Champion - Big Sandy

Every one of these towns is within 50 miles of each other. That would be a nice little concentration of some very good football, IMHO.

And a quick question, in case someone knows........when was the last time that two teams from the same county won state championships? I'm sure it's happened. Gilmer and Big Sandy are both in Upshur County. That would be pretty cool too!

it would be amazing ...

PPHSfan
12-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I would say there is a good chance that Jasper, Newton, and Lufkin will win the State Championships--now that is a tight cluster!

Tyler, Kilgore, Gilmer and Troup are all pretty close together.

NSUTrumpet08
12-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Well Tyler-Lee won the 5A Division I Championship so there's one. Lufkin held their own against SLC but lost...congrats to Lufkin on an outstanding season!

Marshall was edged out by Ennis 23-21 for the 4A division I championship game.
Kilgore has to face Dallas Lincoln for the 4A Division II championship game.

It'll be Jasper or Gilmer for 3A Division II...so there will at least be a 3A champion from East Texas.

Newton just narrowly lost to Boyd 17-13 for the 2A Div. I Championship game.
Troup is still in it and has to play Crawford this saturday for the Div II championship.

Unfortunately, no East Texas team will be competing for the state ring for Class A. Big Sandy lost to Shiner 21-17.

We were close to having all East Texas teams win state championships...