PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of Snyder vs Gilmer

D-GOOD
12-05-2004, 02:18 AM
Havent seen much of Gilmer what do they have?

7Rollin High
12-05-2004, 02:39 AM
I havent either... but.. ill still take Snyder

Hupernikomen
12-05-2004, 03:01 AM
A very good football team and a coach who gets way to excited on the sideline. He is more than antimated. Was hard to watch was happening on the field because I was too busy watching his over the top antics.

LH Panther Mom
12-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Huper, I probably would've been doing the same thing. Sheesh, I really don't know who to pick, but with the newspaper stories I've read about Dee Walker in the LAJ, I am going to stick with my 2nd favorite region. Snyder boys, don't let me down. :)

GreenMonster
12-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Dee Walker and the Snyder O-Line are the real deal. Defense has grown up quick the last couple of weeks. Snyder by a couple. 21-17.

Buckeye80
12-05-2004, 09:29 AM
OK....I'll be the one to take the Buckeyes then, and yes, I'm being a homer. I know nothing about Snyder except their record, so I can't even make an intelligent guess.

To answer a previous question, here's what the Buckeyes are bringing to the table.

Manuel Johnson-QB "Cannon for an arm and extremely accurate. Intelligent player who will stay in the pocket and resist the urge to run. Once out of the pocket, almost uncatchable, and rarely brought down by one player."

Kevin Hollis-WR/SS "Very quick and very good hands. Has made some incredible catches this season. Deceptively fast and a very tough runner. On defense, a solid hitter and leads the team in QB pressures.

Tay Bowser-WR/DB "Tall and speedy. Average hands, but lightning quick. Due to his height, he's almost impossible to cover 1-on-1. On defense, he is an excellent shut down corner.

Daniel Dodd-LB "Unrelenting, tenacious, and vicious leader of the "Black Flag" defense. Leads the team in tackles with 150 (prior to last night's game) and covers passing lanes very well. He will really be a joy to see play, no matter who you're rooting for.

Chaz Kuikahi-LB "Surprise player this year for Coach Traylor. He was injured last year, but came back with the mindset of making up for lost time. He is second on the team in tackles with 134 (prior to last night).

Offensive and defensive lines are solid, a bit under-sized, but solid.

And probably the most important thing we bring to this game is sportsmanship. Our Buckeyes are gentlemen on the field, and that is very refreshing to see.:)

D-GOOD
12-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Looks like so far people think it will be a close game.

Leopards,class of 75
12-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Snyder by 7.

Buckeyeman
12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Gilmer 42
Snyder 13

D-GOOD
12-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Buckeyeman apparently hasnt seen or heard anything about Snyder to be predicting a score like that. I am sure Snyder will score more than 13. I am not going to predict a dumb score like that without knowing much about Gilmer. I will just say Snyder wins. One thing for sure, Gilmer fans for the most part are showing the Tigers no respect and will see what west texas football is about.

westTXbest
12-05-2004, 09:43 PM
well i dont think region1 is a strong as it has been the last few years, snyer really didnt impress me that much cause of the west texas teams i have seen the past few years.

Ranger Mom
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by westTXbest
well i dont think region1 is a strong as it has been the last few years, snyer really didnt impress me that much cause of the west texas teams i have seen the past few years.

Watching Snyder's performance on Friday night, made me a believer!

It also led me to believe that Greenwood may have been a better team than I gave them credit for!

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 10:15 PM
I will go with the Tigers on this one. The ole Scurry County boys have been just off the mark for several years and seem to be cresting at the right time. Snyder has played a rougher schedule than Gilmer; with Gilmer being the major team of consequence in their Region. I look for the Snyder boys to drag out the old almino white buffalo hide and march around it one night on a full moon later in the week and come in and pull off a win! It's going to be a good one--the beef cowboys against the dairy cowboys.

Ranger Mom
12-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
the beef cowboys against the dairy cowboys.

:clap: :clap: That was just funny!!

mustang04
12-05-2004, 10:25 PM
--the beef cowboys against the dairy cowboys.

what if i raise both dairy and beef?:eek: does that mean that im...no it couldn't be....im half eastern texan?!?! NOOOO:doh: :doh:

hehe:D

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
what if i raise both dairy and beef?:eek: does that mean that im...no it couldn't be....im half eastern texan?!?! NOOOO:doh: :doh:

hehe:D

A "transbeefite" maybe, mustang?

mustang04
12-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
A "transbeefite" maybe, mustang?
i dunno...hmmmm:thinking:

i like nurse cows (dairy cows) cuz they are more gentle, beef cattle can be gentle sometimes, but most of the time they are pains in the @$$, thats why they end up on a plate w/ A-1 sauce on them, ever since i was little ive had a grudge against angus cattle...cuz ive been kicked so many times by them!

Bullaholic
12-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
i dunno...hmmmm:thinking:

i like nurse cows (dairy cows) cuz they are more gentle, beef cattle can be gentle sometimes, but most of the time they are pains in the @$$, thats why they end up on a plate w/ A-1 sauce on them, ever since i was little ive had a grudge against angus cattle...cuz ive been kicked so many times by them!

I thought you might have ridden herd on a few cows, mustang. Bet you've gotten to clean up behind them with a shovel a few times too! Ah....I love the smell of cow manure in the morning.....

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 10:45 PM
For those who don't know Snyder is a beef industry centered area. Gilmer is in the dairy cattle industry area of East Texas. That has always been a joking thing between these two areas of commerce....Out at Snyder, their founder was known to have killed a white buffalo and that area was the last area of Texas with the wild indigenous bison roaming free in Texas. On REALLY special events they bring out that old buffalo hide at Snyder. I have seen it once: even most Snyder folks have not ever viewed that old hide. Every area of Texas has it's own folklore. Maybe that would be a good thread to start after the football season is over.

Port_town_texas
12-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Gilmer by 21

mustang04
12-05-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I thought you might have ridden herd on a few cows, mustang. Bet you've gotten to clean up behind them with a shovel a few times too! Ah....I love the smell of cow manure in the morning.....

the smell really aint that bad it they are eating natural stuff like coastal hay or oats or things like that, what stinks is when they eat that processed crap...yuck! some ppl never get used to the smell tho:clap:

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Has this whole thread gone to crap or what?

mustang04
12-05-2004, 10:52 PM
For those who don't know Snyder is a beef industry centered area. Gilmer is in the dairy cattle industry area of East Texas. That has always been a joking thing between these two areas of commerce....Out at Snyder, their founder was know to have killed a white buffalo and that area was the last area of Texas with the wild indigenous bison roaming free in Texas. On REALLY special events they bring out that old buffalo hide at Snyder. I have seen it once: even most Snyder folks have not ever viewed that old hide. Every area of Texas has it's own folklore. Maybe that would be a good thread to start after the football season is over.

that would be a good thread!

mustang04
12-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Has this whole thread gone to crap or what?

dont u mean 'cow crap'???:D

Black_Magic
12-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Ok now its time to get back on track with this thread. Go tigers!!! Thats a start. I saw where The Tigers have played the 15th toughest schedule in the state. I also saw where Gilmer has the 114th toughest schedule in the state. no dout the tigers have faced some tuff people on the way to this game. Wylie , Sweetwater, IP.

mustang04
12-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Ok now its time to get back on track with this thread. Go tigers!!! Thats a start. I saw where The Tigers have played the 15th toughest schedule in the state. I also saw where Gilmer has the 114th toughest schedule in the state. no dout the tigers have faced some tuff people on the way to this game. Wylie , Sweetwater, IP.

i have to agree black magic, wouldnt u say that there seemed to be alot more respect between sweetwater and snyder fri. night??? as much as i still wish the mustangs woulda won, they didnt, i think that playing us, wylie, and IP have battle tested the tigers so i think they'll be ready for another round...or 2!

Good luck Tigers!

Gilmer Buckeye
12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
For those who don't know Snyder is a beef industry centered area. Gilmer is in the dairy cattle industry area of East Texas.

I can't speak for the Snyder area, having only driven through it once in my life. Scurry County used to have a lot of oil wells pumping. That was the best "crop" most of the ranchers around there had, I heard once from a man who used to live in Snyder.

But as for the Gilmer/Upshur County area, you can count on one hand the number of dairies still operating around here. We may have once been known for dairying, but that "industry" is long gone. It's kinda like our Yamboree fall festival. It's a good time and all, but no one has raised yams here for a living in at least 50 years.

Gilmer/Upshur County is basically a suburban community to Longview and, to a lesser extent, Tyler. Lots of retired older folks surviving on Social Security and little else as well. There is very little "industry" in the traditional sense of that word (i.e., manufacturing plants). Globalism, along with the one-way free trade and stock speculation that comes with it, has destroyed what little industry there was around here. The same story has been repeated in small towns all across the South.

No American can compete with Third World slave labor and provide a middle-class living for his family. We are on an irreversible course toward a very wealthy top 10 percent or so of the population with the bottom 90 percent scraping to get by. This is what laissez-faire economics has always led to throughout history. But this is what America wants. Countries with well-developed middle classes have been rare throughout history and they never last for long.

D-GOOD
12-06-2004, 04:21 PM
what are you talking about Gilmer Buckeye, lets try to stay the course, football.

mustang04
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by D-GOOD
what are you talking about Gilmer Buckeye, lets try to stay the course, football.

i know..they started soundin like my govt. teacher last year

i happen to be middle class...i dont wanna get poor:eek: :(

D-GOOD
12-06-2004, 05:29 PM
As of 4:25 on Dec.6 polls says Gilmer-24-----Snyder-22. We will probaly be underdogs again and thats fine with us. 2 and 0 and still going as the underdog.

WitchyWoman
12-06-2004, 05:51 PM
As for me and my house "How 'bout those Snyder Tigers"! I'll just say this Snyder doesn't have ONE Super Star, they have an entire team of great kids, with so much heart it just makes ya smile to see em on the field... They don't care who gets the ball, which one makes the TD or who gets the yards. All they care about is moving down that field for a FIRST DOWN and with that in mind they work their tails off each and every time their on that line! Defense well let's just say this, you aren't getting far with those West Texas boys cause their going to hit ya hard and hand you back your teeth as they pull you up and pat ya on the backside. So just keep us as the "UnderDawgs" we like it like that and we'll see ya Saturday nite @ TEXAS STADIUM !!!

GO MIGHTY TIGERS!!!!

Gilmer Buckeye
12-06-2004, 06:28 PM

It wasn't I who labeled Gilmer some kind of dairy capital. I am just clearing up Old Cardinal's well-entrenched-in-his-mind myth about my home area. There's no dairy industry. There are very few dairies--period. I live here and I am tellinig him there is no "industry" here to speak of unless you want to call the Buckeyes an industry. They have probably been more of an economic shot-in-the-arm than anything else this year in this community. I know they've brought in a lot of gate revenue.

Other than that, there's a Wal-Mart Supercenter on the edge of town, a struggling and somewhat vacant downtown retail area around the courthouse square, a couple of nice residential subdivisions, a couple of housing projects and that's it.

As for the game, Gilmer will have to have an off night not to win this in a blowout. But take heart, Snyder fans. We are overdue for an off night on offense. The last one occurred against Pittsburg in our final regular season game and we dang near lost to a team that had won only three games. If we play like that, we may make you look like Supermen to go with the 'S' on your helmet.

But it's way more likely that the Snyder Supermen will find that Buckeyes are closely related to kryptonite in molecular structure.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I would have said the same thing until I saw what Snyder did to IP. By the way, Iowa Park had a heck of a football team. They like to throw the ball like Gilmer. Swenson is a great QB and is a big time playmaker. He didn't spend a lot of time on the field as teh IP defense was out there all night long. Then when he did he was held in check. He did make a couple of nice runs and throws but they didn't turn into points.

Should be a close game, not a blow out.

Black_Magic
12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Two different types of games brought to the table. Snyder Brings the IN YOUR FACE SMASH MOUTH CRAM IT DOWN YOUR THROAT running game with a long ball to go with that to boot... Gilmer brings the finess passing game with a QB and RB who can hurt you. I think who ever out hits the other will win this one. SNYDER loves the big hits. I looking forward to the team turning loose and opening a can of whoop A$$ saturday.

D-GOOD
12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Good call Magic. I hope we get close to the crowd that we had at the Sweetwater game the boys seem to really feed off of the energy of the fans. The fans fed off the energy of the big hits and plays especially from our defense. By the way to all Snyder fans how many people do yall think will be there from Snyder. 3500,4500,5000?

Black_Magic
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
well there was about 5500 in the stands for snyder friday night. I would bet we could duplicate that in Dallas in texas statdium with a big game like this.

D-GOOD
12-06-2004, 10:17 PM
I would like to see at least that many if not more. Lets just shut down Snyder in observance of the game and make mandatory that everyone attend the game.

wildstangs
12-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Snyder laid some HUGE hits down on the Stangs Friday night. Gilmer better be ready to take some hard hits.

Is Texas Stadium a neutral site? I figured Snyder would want to go on grass again.

sundevil
12-06-2004, 10:57 PM
I think what this game will do is show what each Region is about. Snyder thinks their region is the best and the Buckeyes think theirs is.

To us (yes I am for Gilmer) it looks like snyder is a 38 rushes a game (25 from the RB, 6 from the FB, and 7 from the QB), 7.5 passes and 3 completions a game. I can tell you that doesn't speak to excitment for East Texas Football Fans. That doesn't mean it isn't effective, but it is like watching a slowed down highschool basketball game....but at the end if you control the clock and hold the ball all the time you can come out on top. Other than what we hear from you guys we don't know anything about your D. Not much in the writeups. I am sure you guys hit hard and play hard because.......well your Texans!

Gilmer on the other hand can score TD's on 1-5 play drives, yes we do have the occational 17 play scoring drive but those are a rarity. Don't kid yourself that we don't run and don't do it well. A couple of our backs were hurt early so they don't have the yards. I will make no comparisons to your back because we would never have a back with that many yards. Gilmer is usually a 50% pass and 50% run team, but we have had several games that are more 30 to 60% in favor of the pass. You just never know, we actually ran more against Madison than pass.

I am interested in what a Great Football team is from the Snyder Region as compared to a Great Football team from the Gilmer Region. I am sure Saturday will answer a lot of those questions.

j_dog
12-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Dee Walker and the Snyder O-Line are the real deal. Defense has grown up quick the last couple of weeks. Snyder by a couple. 21-17.
How are the Snyder DB's? They had better get into gear to do some heavy duty covering because Gilmer will be firing away if their game Saturday was any indication.

TOPS1435
12-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Gilmer runs a no-huddle offense with as many as five receivers going out at a time. There is no featured receiver. Saturday the quarterback hit 23 of 29 or 24 of 30 passes (different reports) for seven touchdowns. He hit 5 different receivers (the two going to D-1 schools each had two TDs) and he did not have TD passes to at least five other players who have caught passes in the year.

When opponents have covered the receivers, the qb is known to run rather than throw int's. On one play Sat, he got away for 88 yards. He is a 4.4 runner along with the other two D-1 recruits.

Against Madison, the coaches took what the defense gave them. For one of the few times in the year, Gilmer ran more than passes.

However, Gilmer's coaches know the Snyder linemen are much quicker than the big middle linemen Gilmer's seen the last two weeks.

So far the Gilmer D has held team's leading rusher to under his season's norms. But that is no guarantee.

Should be an interesting game.

D-GOOD
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
at 5:05 on dec.7 polls says Gilmer has edge 30-28. It surprises me that this many people is picking Snyder. I guess were starting to make beleivers out of people.

D-GOOD
12-08-2004, 09:15 PM
How many times has Gilmer played or practiced at Texas Stadium?

Manck
12-08-2004, 10:22 PM
How many times has Gilmer played or practiced at Texas Stadium?

Once. Ever. They practiced there on Tuesday afternoon, and Gilmer has never played a game in Texas Stadium before.

No pressure.

rattlerbb01
12-09-2004, 01:44 AM
i've gotta say gilmer by a bunch. i watched last years thump of tatum in tyler at rose stadium. you mean those guys weren't seniors!? just kidding, but too much talent and experience on that gilmer team, plus they just look good out there. hope for a great game anyhow. maybe snyder can silence those critics that say that region one football is not competitive as in south and east districts (example being "4-3a is a joke!")