PDA

View Full Version : Wylie/Royse City story/box

3afan
12-04-2004, 09:46 AM
from DMN ::

Abilene Wylie - 28, Royse City - 0

IRVING – Royse City finally hit a wall in its memorable playoff run.

That wall was the Abilene Wylie
defense, which stifled one of the area's top rushing teams in a dominating 28-0 victory Friday over Royse City in a Class 3A Division I semifinal game at Texas Stadium.

Wylie (11-3) moves on to face either Cuero or Palestine in the Class 3A state championship next week. The loss snapped Royse City's 10-game winning streak and ended the most successful season in school history.

Wylie took control of the game on its opening possession - a methodic 17-play, 64-yard scoring drive that included three fourth-down conversions.

"I knew right then that it might be a long night," Royse City coach Rodney Webb said. "They did to us what we've been doing to teams all year."

Royse City (11-3) initially appeared to hold deep in its own territory on fourth-and-5, but an offside penalty kept the drive alive. On the next play, Wylie's Michael Kiger capped the drive with a 4-yard touchdown plunge.
"That was huge," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "We kept the ball for six minutes and got points on the board. It certainly got their attention."

So did Wylie's defense.

Royse City entered the game averaging 39 points and 457 yards per game but managed just 180 yards of total offense and was kept out of the end zone for the first time all season. Royse City also went for it on fourth down three times in the game and was turned away each time.

Senior quarterback James Mapps was particularly frustrated. He came into the game with 2,403 yards on the season but was held to 84 yards on 20 carries.
"I don't think they missed a tackle all night," Mapps said. "It was just one of those nights where nothing we tried worked. Those guys were good."

Meanwhile, Wylie used its balanced attack to control the time of possession and work its way down the field. Quarterback Case Keenum scored on a pair of short touchdown runs to give his team a commanding 21-0 lead and Kiger dealt the final blow with a 2-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Things continued to get worse for Royse City, which suffered an even bigger loss late in the game when defensive lineman Jarrell Howard sustained an apparent neck injury and had to be immobilized and carted off the field with 3:32 remaining. Howard's condition was not immediately known after the game, but Webb said that the 270-pound junior displayed some movement in his extremities.

Abilene Wylie 14 0 7 7 -- 28
Royse City 0 0 0 0 -- 0
AWYL - Michael Kiger 4 run (Tyler Driskell kick)
AWYL - Case Keenum 2 run (Driskell kick)
AWYL- Keenum 1 run (Driskell kick)
AWYL - Kiger 2 run (Driskell kick)

Statistic AWYL ROYS
First downs 20 12
Rushing yards 40-165 35-135
Passing yards 108 45
Comp-att-int 10-18-0 2-10-0
Punts-avg 3-32.0 3-27.7
Penalties-yards 3-20 2-13
Fumbles-lost 0-0 2-1

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing – AWYL: Michael Kiger 20-73, Gary Edwards 1-33, Jarred Scott 3-31, Chad Copeland 4-11, Tim Hibler 1-8, Case Keenum 8-7, Adam Morrow 2-2, Jacob Atkins 1-0. ROYS: James Mapps 20-84, Cameron Holliness 8-36, Mason Morris 2-9, Jacob Garcia 4-0.
Passing – AWYL: Case Keenum 10-18-0-108. ROYS: James Mapps 2-10-0-45.
Receiving – AWYL: Josh Poorman 5-47, Michael Kiger 3-34, Jordan Light 1-15, Scott Cassleberry 1-12. ROYS: Shawn Dabbs 1-33, Mitchell Martin 1-12.

3afan
12-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Wylie must have quite a defense !!!

vet93
12-04-2004, 10:00 AM
They say defense wins championships.....They have been playing well lately. It sounds like they will need another great defensive effort against Cuero.

3afan
12-04-2004, 10:02 AM
yup - hope that game is at Texas Stadium

Ranger Mom
12-04-2004, 10:02 AM
How do these 2 teams match up?

PPHSfan told me the A. Wylie line was HUGE on both sides of the ball. I know we played them the first game of the season, but the opposing teams line always seem to be way bigger than ours.

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Well, Ranger Mom, Cuero doesn't have too many squirts, I can tell you that. :)

Ranger Mom
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
yup - hope that game is at Texas Stadium

That would be awesome if A. Wylie/Cuero AND Snyder vs. Gilmer/Tatum was there back to back!

I think I would have to take a little weekend road trip!!

3afan
12-04-2004, 10:09 AM
make some calls - I'm sure you can make it happen!

VWG
12-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Abilene Wylie has a great offense. They pass, they run, they throw in the occasional trick play when needed.
With probably on of the top ten enrollments in all of 3A they have the size and manpower to match up with anybody. Hugh Sandifer is a master at getting the right gameplan set for his teams in the playoffs.
I know Wylie has some money. I'm always baffled at why Sandifer hasn't left Wylie for a better coaching job. Now, don't start hammering me as Wylie is a great job. I'm just saying that I know that guy has to have had other schools (4A,5A) make runs at him with better facilites, more money, etc....
Abilene Country Club doesn't match up to some of the golf courses he could play around D/FW, Austin, San Antonio, etc..... LOL

3afan
12-04-2004, 10:22 AM
if you're happy - why leave ???