PDA

View Full Version : FINAL: Cuero 27 Palestine 17

super1
12-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Way to go Gobblers. Bring it home for Region IV!!!

Leopards,class of 75
12-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Cuero vrs Wylie should be a great match up for the championship next week. Good luck to both teams!!!

Pudlugger
12-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Congratulations Cuero, I had you guys picked for the final all the way and believe yall will win state this year. I couldn't help but laugh at what Homers those announcers were on the Wildcat webcast! Couldn't bring themselves to say a nice word or two about the Cuero team, just how they beat themselves and that sort of sore grapes stuff. Cuero played tough defense to keep the Gobblers in the game until their O broke it open late in the third. Great game. Good luck in the Final.

HBfan
12-03-2004, 11:47 PM
cuero!! im so excited for yall!! :D bring the state title home next week! great game.. it was so excitin!

Phil C
12-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Congratulations Cuero and good luck at State! Bring home the gold to Region 4!!

AP Panther Fan
12-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Congratulations Cuero! I knew you could do it! You are making Region IV proud.....keep it up!:thumbsup:

Port_town_texas
12-04-2004, 12:17 AM
congrats 2 Cuero. I didn't think they had a chance. Beat Wylie for state!!!:)

WOS1
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Great job Cuero, I was wrong on this one, AGAIN!! You beat a great team tonight. Now... FINISH IT!!! Good luck, I'm pullin for ya!

sinton66
12-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Everybody chant now, Alamodome, Alamodome.....

faithfuldog
12-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Congrats Cuero..I thought Palestine would take it but was wrong.

pirate4state
12-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Everybody chant now, Alamodome, Alamodome..... I bet the Abilene folks are chanting for someplace closer to home. :D

How far will you drive to watch this game?? It doesn't really matter for me. I have someone I can stay with in Dallas, San Antonio & the Austin area so, ummm I guess not Waco or the Houston area. :p

footballgal
12-04-2004, 12:45 AM
a Big Congrats to the Gobblas and their fans!

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Congrats on the huge win, Gobblers!

I watched two completely different teams tonight & heard two completely different sets of fans. The first half was flat. Cuero's offense was flat & the fans were flat. Sorry folks, but this was not the same crowd I listened to at the Wimberley game. The first interception returned for a TD sparked a little life into the crowd, but with the missed PAT, the spark went out.

Second half was completely different. The 2nd pick for TD completely changed the momentum of the offense & the fans were loud & rowdy. These were the fans that I recognized. After that, the offense was clicking & there really was no stopping the team.

Cuero folks - 44INAROW, Gobbla2001, Gobbler Grad, Crabman & Old Green - it was very nice to see you again. Jason, it was nice to see you again as well. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. 44INAROW and two of our little rommies, Random Hero & Flourhead.

Thanks folks for letting hubby & I share your win. Congratulations Gobbler players for playing a fantastic second half on both sides. Cuero defense......this was the same defense, most of the game, that I watched two weeks ago. You kept your team in the game.

Everyone drive safely that is heading home. If you're staying around, I hope to see you tomorrow & possibly meet some more of you.

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 01:11 AM
just got home from the game. it was amazing, Palestine dominated Cuero is all facets of the game, except turnovers and on the scoreboard. To win a state championship it takes some luck as well as skill, good luck to the gobblers in the state finals.

SintonFan
12-04-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
just got home from the game. it was amazing, Palestine dominated Cuero is all facets of the game, except turnovers and on the scoreboard. To win a state championship it takes some luck as well as skill, good luck to the gobblers in the state finals.
I guess defense doesn't account for anything?:D
Congratulations to the Cuero Gobblers!
You guys play great in the final and bring home that trophy for region four!!!:clap: :clap:

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 01:25 AM
well, Palestine's defense just about completly shut down Cuero's offense.

SintonFan
12-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Sounds like they opened it up in the 2nd half.

LST_Terry
12-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Defense was not Palestines problem...It was turnovers
STATS

PAL CUE

First downs 15 12

Rushes-yards 36-216 35-115

Passing Yards 90 86

Comp.-Att.-Int. 7-19-3 7-13-1

Return Yards 65 139

Punts-Avg. 5-31.2 5-40.4

Fumbles-Lost 2-2 6-2

Penalties-Yards 4-29 5-35

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING - Palestine, Cameron Jones, 26-172; Fred Williams, 8-40; Nigel Cooper, 2-4; Cuero, Larvell Roy, 14-83; Bradly Bomba, 7-18; Matt Schumacher, 13-14; Fabian Olguin, 1-0.

PASSING - Palestine, Williams, 7-19-3-90; Cuero, Schumacher, 7-13-1-86.

RECEIVING - Palestine, Leon Mickens, 3-68; Cooper, 3-12; Jones, 1-10; Cuero, Jeremy Ross, 5-37; Nick Taylor, 1-33; J.T. Rudd, 1-16.

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Sounds like they opened it up in the 2nd half.

Not really, one TD was off an INT and the other 2 were on a short field. That said, Cuero will win state going away.

SintonFan
12-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Not really, one TD was off an INT and the other 2 were on a short field. That said, Cuero will win state going away.
Turnovers are part of the game. You can't take away a ten point victory. Believe me, the Cuero defense had something to do with those turnovers.

gobbler grad
12-04-2004, 02:38 AM

WHEW!!!

Except for one drive that put us up 20-10...we kinda drove down the field like we were supposed to do...

Palestine is a very fast team, they are the quickest team we've seen ,but I think Wimberly was still the best team

once again "WAY TO GO GOBBLERS"

Nice meeting Jason tonight and seeing LH Panther Mom and Hubby again...glad Jason had his camera, because Mr.44 was having hell with his...:foul: just kidding 44...LOL

Gobbler Fan
12-04-2004, 02:52 AM
Im still trying to figure out if all that dancing by Palestine during warmup's is their form of exercise ........:doh:

Old Green
12-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Not really, one TD was off an INT and the other 2 were on a short field. That said, Cuero will win state going away. Two TD's were off interceptions. One for 58 yd. Td and the other 57 yd, Int. return for a td.

Highschoolfan78
12-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Congradulations Gobblers! Boy my voice is pretty much gone right now after that game! Palestine was amazingly fast on defense but 2nd half we were able to wear them down a little. Yes, Cuero's D had a great deal of responsibility with all the turn overs. Both teams made mental mistakes but after half tiime was over Cuero made less and they are continuing to play which is great! Palestine keep your head up high because you were a heck of a team. It was my first time of ever hearing about yall and yall made a huge first impression towards me. I hope this isn't the last time we hear from ya.

Gobblers, there's only one more game to go, the State game, a game that people dream about going to all their lives. Some people in our town know what it's like to be there. Some know what it's like to win it there and what the feels like, and others know the disappointment of losing the game. Many people dream of what it's like to reach that far rewarding everything they have accomplished all year. I am sure you can almost taste the victory for next week and I know how much you have worked for this opportunity. I wish you the best of luck and no matter what happens next week know that you have made this community proud. Your team is what puts us in the stands, it is what filled up our side tonight at Round Rock ISD. Your dreams are appreciated by and shared with all of us as well . Go get AW!!!

Jody
12-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Congrats Cuero! Sounds like is was a great game. Good luck next week, A-W is a real suprise team. Just ask Decatur.

rhs78
12-04-2004, 08:07 AM
great win gobblers ,way to step it up in the second half. good luck next week vs wylie for all the marbles.

sinton66
12-04-2004, 08:59 AM
DKR wouldn't be too bad a choice either, but the weather would be better in the Alamodome. Go Gobblers!

j_dog
12-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Congratulations on the victory Cuero! :) You did what you had to do to win. The game is all about crossing the goal line and you did that more times than Palestine.

I was pulling for Palestine because they are from my part of Texas, but they just did not quite do enough last night. But Palestine, you had a great first season in 3a. :) :clap:

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Two TD's were off interceptions. One for 58 yd. Td and the other 57 yd, Int. return for a td.

I was talking about in the 2nd half.

TAMUGRAD
12-04-2004, 09:31 AM

Did you look at the scoreboard? If you want to talk about defense you need to give Cuero's defense alittle more credit than that.

At this level defense can and usually does win the ball game, capitalizing on turnovers.

Way to go Palestine! You are a great team! Hold your heads up going into last night there were only 4 teams left in D1 3a. You've had a great run at it in 2004.

Way to go Mean Green!!!!!

Now lets Get R Done against AW!

onfirebball05mustang
12-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Congrats Palestine on a great season! Good luck next year!

Let's GO MEAN GREEN!!!

sinton66
12-04-2004, 09:40 AM
I didn't go to this game, but we listened to it last night on a great link from the radio station in Palestine. Best sounding game link I've ever heard. No time delay or anything. Superb audio.

The last three rounds of the playoffs is where the total team effort comes into play. It's not just who has the best offense, or who has the best defense. It's what the teams were able to put together as a TEAM effort. It nearly always boils down to who makes the fewest critical mistakes. Running games are kinda expected to be on the fritz at this level because of the quality of the defenses involved. One of the things that makes this THE great and enduring game is all the various ways to put points on the board. Offense gets you to the dance, but defense wins it.

WOS1
12-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Congratulations on the victory Cuero! :) You did what you had to do to win. The game is all about crossing the goal line and you did that more times than Palestine.

I was pulling for Palestine because they are from my part of Texas, but they just did not quite do enough last night. But Palestine, you had a great first season in 3a. :) :clap:

This is so true J_dog, next year people will only remember who won the title, not what the stats were in the semifinals. This time of year, it's all about getting to the next round, whatever that takes. Good teams find a way to win and it seems to me that Cuero is on a mission. Good luck guys!

Jody, nice sig... be careful what you ask for, you just might get it...;) ;) ;)

scrub c
12-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Congratulations Cuero and Coach Reeve

Now finish the job and win it all.
It will make me feel a little better about that first round loss.

Good Luck.

Scrub

Kakarot
12-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey isnt Adrian Peterson from Palestine? How did his team do last year?

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kakarot
Hey isnt Adrian Peterson from Palestine? How did his team do last year?

Last year lost 20-19 in the 1st round to Hallsville, there is a world of difference between 4A and 3A.

44INAROW
12-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Last year lost 20-19 in the 1st round to Hallsville, there is a world of difference between 4A and 3A.

There sure is.. but isn't it funny that those "powerhouses" from 4A moving to 3A didn't make it to the big game either..... Not being a smarta$$ or anything, but some of us are sick of hearing that "world of difference between 4A and3A"

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
There sure is.. but isn't it funny that those "powerhouses" from 4A moving to 3A didn't make it to the big game either..... Not being a smarta$$ or anything, but some of us are sick of hearing that "world of difference between 4A and3A"

i agree

gobblerfan02
12-04-2004, 03:25 PM

No kidding, didn't cuero actually beat GP in a scrimmage at the beginning of the season by a field goal, or am i mistaken?

gobblerfan02
12-04-2004, 03:26 PM
And don't tell me that scrimmages don't count, my ***!

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
No kidding, didn't cuero actually beat GP in a scrimmage at the beginning of the season by a field goal, or am i mistaken?

in the real game scenario they tied

gobblerfan02
12-04-2004, 03:33 PM

Even if they tied, does that mean that there's a "world of difference"?

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 03:44 PM
no, i dont think so....for the number 1 team in 3a to tie the number 1 team in 4a, i would say that there's not much difference at all there

44INAROW
12-04-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by cat dog horse
no, i dont think so....for the number 1 team in 3a to tie the number 1 team in 4a, i would say that there's not much difference at all there

and on that note.. GO GP....... :) they've been very supportive of Cuero on this board

raider red 2000
12-04-2004, 03:55 PM
great job by both teams getting this far. congrats to cuero. it seemed to me that cuero did a great job of taking advantage of turnovers better than palestine did.

although cuero's O didnt seem to be as good as previous, i think that the O took care of business when it had to. The coaches had a good plan....it seemed that all of the motion helped to try to confuse the palestine D (which did great most of the night) I enjoyed watching the same cuero play work twice for scores. Coverin the TE and then motioning to uncover him, and then pass to him....great look. the play worked twice at inportnat times in the game. 2-pt conversion and then on 4th down. good call by the coaches and good job by the kids for getin it done.

i thought that palestine would have thrown deep more with one on one coverage, but it seemed taht they stuck to their plan to run the ball. that palestine back looked pretty darn good.

gobblers keep rolling.

bigpimpin
12-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I've just gotta say, if Palestine was so big and fast, why did they tackle EVERYBODY at the knees. Our RB #11 weighs about 140 soaking wet and those 200 lb. LBers were chopping him down instead of tackling high...:mad:...we all saw Ace, #13, hobbled up on the sideline because those big boys from Palestine were too scared to go head up like a real man...You didn't see our boys backing down, especially Harryman and Haynes...I was hearing the pop they were bringing twice...once was initial contact then the echo would come back, that's how you play defense...hit em hard, hit em early, and HIT EM OFTEN....defense wins championships(2 def. TDs) and they way their playing they might make a BCS bowl...and another thing, all this talk about "Palestine won everything but the score" is some bull cuz at the half they had almost 3 times as many offensive plays as Cuero and only 1 more point (even more props to the defense) but it was penalties and coughsorryrefscough that was the reason for the expanded drives and thus expanded yardage...

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 04:06 PM

There weren't any 4A powerhouses move into 3A this year, out of all the schools that dropped into 3A, Palestine was the only one to make the playoffs last year.

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 04:06 PM
all i know is that palestines LB #24 was bad a**....i dont care if he hit them high or low, he was everywhere

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
There weren't any 4A powerhouses move into 3A this year, out of all the schools that dropped into 3A, Palestine was the only one to make the playoffs last year.

what about West Orange-Stark?

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bigpimpin
I've just gotta say, if Palestine was so big and fast, why did they tackle EVERYBODY at the knees. Our RB #11 weighs about 140 soaking wet and those 200 lb. LBers were chopping him down instead of tackling high...:mad:...we all saw Ace, #13, hobbled up on the sideline because those big boys from Palestine were too scared to go head up like a real man...You didn't see our boys backing down, especially Harryman and Haynes...I was hearing the pop they were bringing twice...once was initial contact then the echo would come back, that's how you play defense...hit em hard, hit em early, and HIT EM OFTEN....defense wins championships(2 def. TDs) and they way their playing they might make a BCS bowl...and another thing, all this talk about "Palestine won everything but the score" is some bull cuz at the half they had almost 3 times as many offensive plays as Cuero and only 1 more point (even more props to the defense) but it was penalties and coughsorryrefscough that was the reason for the expanded drives and thus expanded yardage...

Nobody said Palestine was big, they are very small, but they are very very fast.

texasjeremy
12-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by cat dog horse
what about West Orange-Stark?

WOS didn't go to the playoffs last year in 4A.

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 04:10 PM
WOS didn't go to the playoffs last year in 4A.

oh sorry, i misread you post...i thought it said that no teams that were 4a last year and 3a this year made the playoffs THIS year except for Palestine

my bad

44INAROW
12-04-2004, 04:19 PM

nevermind.. not worth it

cat dog horse
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
he was saying that out of all the teams that were 4a last year and 3a this year, Palestine was the only one who made the playoffs last year in 4a....at least i think thats what he meant

SintonFan
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
I must be mistaken, sorry, I thought West Orange Stark was in 4A last year......
WOS is a powerhouse. They have way too much tradition to not be called that.

Old Cardinal
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Congratulations to Cuero tonight...I tell you what, I got all my picks right for the games this weekend except for this one! I was just sure that Palestine was the better team and would prevail. Now go for that big win!