PDA

View Full Version : Would you take steroids if it helped earn you millions of dollars as a pro athlete???

Keith7
12-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Now be honest,.. we are talking about non-detectable steroids...

NSUTrumpet08
12-03-2004, 03:55 PM
This is all an embarrassment to all professional sports! :mad: I wouldn't do it that to myself!! Sheesh...they've been saying that they've never taken steroids or anything of the sort but now they admit it...never seen anything like it...

raider red 2000
12-03-2004, 04:01 PM
for the money- no way

for the chance to compete at the highest level i doubt it, but it have never had that chance to know for sure.

how close to being a top level athlete am i?

if i am making 1 million a year without the roids, and can make 3 million with. i dont need the money.

it is cheating and one must be able to live with one's self. it is like finding a walet with $20 in it, do you keep it? what if you are thirsty and broke?

what kind of morals do people have?

Phantom Stang
12-03-2004, 04:10 PM
No. I would not under any circumstances use steroids.

Macarthur
12-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I can honestly say I don't know how I would answer that question. I was an athlete, but never close to the level that supporting my family depended on it. I think some folks that say "no way", might have a difficult time with that decision if millions of dollars were at stake and they were staring in the face of that reality.

Hupernikomen
12-03-2004, 04:37 PM
If it is considered cheating I wouldn't do it. The health risk are bad enough. Maybe those who just go on the juice for a short time and come right back off escape the long-term effects of this stuff but I beat that is debatable. Money isn't worth my integrity or health.

rhs78
12-03-2004, 04:41 PM
NO not in a million years,its crazy,what happened to just preforming with what you have,and what you are made of. guess i'm old fashion about some things.

Keith7
12-03-2004, 04:44 PM
You know the crazy thing is that, I made this poll but yet i have no idea how to reply to it.. Millions of dollars and the fame of being the best ever is really enticing, but then again people say integrity is all a person ever has.. so i actually chose not to vote on my own poll and wanted to hear everybody's opinions

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Integrity is one of the most important values, IMHO.

Bullaholic
12-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Now be honest,.. we are talking about non-detectable steroids...

Nope...No how...no way...never ever...Not even for all the money in the world. To me it is a matter of degrees, Keith. If you can answer "yes" to this question then could you say "no" if someone asked this question: Would you participate in the armed robbery of a bank if you could get away with $10,000,000 dollars and never be caught? The line must be drawn somewhere, and the steroid issue is out of control in professional sports, and must be dealt with immediately. Either declare "steroids" legal for use, or declare them "illegal" and back it up with season-long suspensions for useage---but don't continue in this ridiculous "limbo" situation.

Keith7
12-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Nope...No how...no way...never ever...Not even for all the money in the world. To me it is a matter of degrees, Keith. If you can answer "yes" to this question then could you say "no" if someone asked this question: Would you participate in the armed robbery of a bank if you could get away with $10,000,000 dollars and never be caught? The line must be drawn somewhere, and the steroid issue is out of control in professional sports, and must be dealt with immediately. Either declare "steroids" legal for use, or declare them "illegal" and back it up with season-long suspensions for useage---but don't continue in this ridiculous "limbo" situation.

no offense Bullaholic, but i think Armed Robbery is a little more serious then taking steriods in baseball

Bullaholic
12-03-2004, 05:08 PM
no offense Bullaholic, but i think Armed Robbery is a little more serious then taking steriods in baseball

I think you missed my point, Keith. It is not the degree of the offense that is alarming, it is our willingness as a society to accept and overlook more and more issues like steroid and drug useage by athletes. Tolerance of today's steroid and drug use translates to tomorrow's forgiveness for armed robbery. The trend is frightenly unmistakeable and inevitable if we do not draw the line. You have got to ask yourself honestly Keith---Do you want your son or daughter to follow in the footsteps of many of the pro athletes that have been in the headlines for outrageous behavior lately,and be just like them just for the fame and money?

SwtwtrMstngs04
12-03-2004, 05:10 PM
I think I would be scared of the side effects.

Bullaholic
12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SwtwtrMstngs04
I think I would be scared of the side effects.

Yes....just ask Lyle Alzado's family....

Bullaholic
12-03-2004, 06:11 PM
You know the crazy thing is that, I made this poll but yet i have no idea how to reply to it.. Millions of dollars and the fame of being the best ever is really enticing, but then again people say integrity is all a person ever has.. so i actually chose not to vote on my own poll and wanted to hear everybody's opinions

Here's the best definition of integrity that I ever heard, Keith:

INTEGRITY- Doing the right thing even though you know no one is watching.

Keith7
12-04-2004, 01:07 AM
ttt

GreenMonster
12-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Yes, baseball had no written rules regaurding steroids therefore they become "Fair game" . Now, to put a slightly different spin on this, think about it this way. If you owned a company that produces a specific product, a product that is in a highly competetive market would you do whatever you could, within the rules now, to make your product the best quality product that performed better than your competitors product? I'm sure you would. Many companies do. Barry Bonds and all these other MLB players are just like companies. They are independent contractors and the product that they produce is themselves. Since MLB had no official stand on steroids (they had a chance to fix that after Mark McGuire's steroid incident) therefore no "Rules" were being broken. I agree that the long term effects of steroids are terrible but these guys can't look long term. It is their job to produce the best product possible and give the consumers of that product their money's worth. Now, if you believe that what they have done is ethically wrong then take a look at your own taxes. Did you take advantage of any loopholes? That's what these guys did, they took advantage of a loophole in the rules. Is it unethical to take advantage of a loophole in the rules? No, it is not. If you believe that they should not have done this based solely on the future of their health then think about this, the average professional football player lives to age 54. The game is so hard on their body that they are used up at an early age. This is the "Average" pro football player. I'm not talking about the steroid taking football player. So if you want to look at it through the long term health view then we should outlaw pro football all together. There are allways consequences for you actions. To be successful one must make sacrifices. These guys know the risks and the rewards. They are just willing to take that extra step to push them up and over the rest of their competition. Many of you do the same thing in your own jobs. Granted that your skipping lunch or not taking a vacation is not on the same scale as these guys taking steroids but it is basically the same idea. It gives them an edge. Something to market themselves as being better than the next guy, a ladder to the top. Was it against the law, maybe. Was it aginst the rules of the game, no. Average everyday companies skirt US labor laws everyday by moving production to foreign countries, why? Because it isn't against the rules of the game.

Hupernikomen
12-04-2004, 11:31 AM
You make a valid point. Even though there aren't written rules about steriods in mlb I think the rules of fair game and sportsmanship is enough to keep a lot of the ML players from taking the stuff, not to mention it will kill you.

You can make all the money you won't to but if it was ill-gotten I can't see how you can enjoy it with a clear conscience.

gobblerfan02
12-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
You make a valid point. Even though there aren't written rules about steriods in mlb I think the rules of fair game and sportsmanship is enough to keep a lot of the ML players from taking the stuff, not to mention it will kill you.

You can make all the money you won't to but if it was ill-gotten I can't see how you can enjoy it with a clear conscience.

I agree, steroids, IMHO, should only be used for necessary medical purposes for those who need to use them to boost their body's functions in order to become well again, NOT to simply enhance your athletic abilities! To me, anyone who does this has no class or character, but I do give him some respect for coming out and admitting it!

3ahunter2k4
12-04-2004, 02:08 PM
d

3ahunter2k4
12-04-2004, 02:09 PM
i dont respect him for it, he was under oath of God he should'nt lie.

3ahunter2k4
12-04-2004, 02:10 PM
green monster you make an awesome point- it's like actors and stuff getting boob jobs and plastic surgery... you have to sell yourself or you're done in any type of business where physical attributes is what bring in the dough. fact of the matter is though, they are also obliged to work under the kaws of the US just as any other company, where as far as i know steroids are illegal, detectable or not.

3ahunter2k4
12-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen

that's how i feel about it as well.

JasperDog94
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
what kind of morals do people have? Ahh, but as I've been reminded on here numerous times, morals are subjective. Unfortunately our society has adopted a philosophy of "movable morals". If the morals of the day don't suit you, you can change them. There are no more absolutes left. Pick a topic that you think is clear cut and I would bet (if I were a betting man) that the ACLU has taken up the defendants cause.:(