PDA

View Full Version : Commerce vs La Grange site update

eye of the tiger
12-16-2001, 06:22 PM
Got this off Dave Campbell's Texas Football site:
Both schools have agreed to set a site and time on Monday, when they will have a better understanding of the statewide weather forecast. La Grange would like to play close to home at the Astrodome, and would prefer to flip home-and-home with Commerce for Texas Stadium. However, Commerce doesn't want to play in Texas Stadium and would prefer to play at a neutral site, like the Waco ISD Stadium. If both can agree on Waco, look for a 7:30 PM kickoff on Friday or a 1 PM slot on Saturday.

[This message has been edited by eye of the tiger (edited December 16, 2001).]

zztop
12-16-2001, 06:37 PM
thanks for the update.
i've been calling family and friends in LG all day and no one seemed to know. not quite sure what is taking so long.
i cant believe commerce wouldnt want to play at texas stadium, being that it would be closer than waco. on the same token, maybe commerce would rather negotiate for waco than losing a coin toss and have the game played in houston.
i think all the state games should be played at the astrodome like all the state baseball and basketball games are played in austin. this way we wouldnt have this 'wait'.
zz

eye of the tiger
12-16-2001, 06:47 PM
I get the feeling coach Cron doesnt like Texas Stadium. Dont know why. Tigers played Sealy in the Dome in 97 and other than the outcome of the game (LOL) it was very enjoyable. Its 80 miles to Texas Stadium and 160 to Waco from Commerce. Celina and Garrison are playing for the 2A title at either 6 or 7:30 Saturday(depending on whether Commerce and La Grange play at 1:00 or not)It is always fun to watch the Celina machine play so thats a plus for Waco.

zztop
12-17-2001, 10:51 AM
The game will be at the new Waco ISD stadium, Friday at 7:30 pm.
zz

eye of the tiger
12-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Going to be a good one for sure. Im kinda excited to see the Waco ISD stadium. I have heard nothing but good about the complex.

zztop
12-17-2001, 11:53 AM
LG played in the state semi's there last year and it is a fantastic field and stadium. i believe it holds in excess of 20,000. also, the field is dropped.
i sure hope the weather conditions are better than they were last year when we played. the wind was gusty (over 20mph) during most of the game. to let you know just how gusty it was, marlin's kickoff into the wind was sailing over the 50 yd line, and then the wind pushed it all the way back to the 35 where it was then fumbled and LG got the ball back. truley amazing.
here's to a great game!!!
go LG!!!
zz

cosmicowgirl
12-17-2001, 05:50 PM
It looks like a great stadium...website... www.wacoisd.org/sports/sports.html (http://www.wacoisd.org/sports/sports.html)

It holds 10,000 - 6,000 on home and 4,000 visitor - that website tells all about it. You can also pull up under Waco ISD Sports Complex

JRabbit_Fan
12-17-2001, 06:03 PM
Do you know who will be the home team?

cosmicowgirl
12-17-2001, 06:52 PM
COMMERCE HOME TEAM. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS
IT WILL BE A GREAT GAME AND LOOKING FOWARD TO
IT. GO TIGERS,,,

zztop
12-17-2001, 10:24 PM
only 10,000? yikes.
how well does commerce travel? dont be surprised if many lg fans are sitting on commerce's side b/c there is no way in the world the visitor's side will hold all of the lg fans. none.
we had more than 4,000 the last 2 games for sure...not quite sure why baylor stadium wasnt considered if waco was the site of choice for commerce.
if anyone is going, i suggest getting there...a little early.
good luck leps.
zz

maestro
12-18-2001, 08:30 AM
Not too early, the gates will only open 1 1/2 before game time. And yes Commerce travels well. Let's just hope the distance is not a factor this week. I usually drive 3-4 hours to watch Commerce and my brother play so 2 hours to Waco is no big deal for me.