PDA

View Full Version : President of College, Former Jasperite Dies

kepdawg
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
President of College, Former Jasperite Dies

12/03/04
By Mike Lout
Email this story to a friend

The students and faculty of Lon Morris College in Jacksonville are mourning the death of the school’s president Clifford Lee, who died suddenly on Thursday at his home.

Lee had served in the position with the college since June of 1994, becoming the 17th president of the school. Prior to that, he served as the minister of the First United Methodist Church here in Jasper for some 4 years.

A native of Liberty, Dr. Lee was a graduate of both Lon Morris and Stephen F. Austin University. He earned his Master’s of Theology Degree from Southern Methodist College and his Doctor of Ministry Degree from McCormick Theological seminary in Chicago.

In addition to serving as president of Lon Morris, Dr. Lee was also involved in many organizations in the Jacksonville area and served on many boards such as the Jacksonville Economic Development Corporation, Trinity Mother Francis Hospital, and others.

During his early years here in Jasper, Lee was instrumental in organizing the Lakes Area Hospice, a non-profit organization that cares for terminally ill patients and served as a founding director of the group.

Funeral services for Dr. Lee will be held on Monday at 2:00 pm at the main chapel of Lon Morris College. Visitation will be held on Sunday from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm at Autry Funeral Home. Burial will follow Monday’s services with a private graveside service at Holly Tree Lake Cemetery.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Lee, daughter Carrie Lee and son, Craig Lee, along with his mother, Sarah Lee, one brother and one sister.

Hupernikomen
12-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Lon Morris put out some great basketball and baseball players through the years. Condolences to his family. Our president died when I was attending ETBU. It was a sad time. Largest funeral I have ever attended, I imagine this one will be the same. Nice to know there are people there who dedicate their lives to making opportunities for others through the educational systems both private and public.