PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Referee Rant........

KTJ
12-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm 23 years old, a senior at UT, and ref mostly 4A and 5A varisty boys basketball. I also ref college, which is unheard of for people my age. So I think I know my stuff.

With that said, why do coaches constantly look down and me on the court and always question my calls? I called that foul for a reason--because he hacked the guy to death. Or no coach, that isn't a travel....it wasn't one on your side of the court either.

I had to T up a coach tonight at the Georgetown tournament. I normally don't do that at all. But out of every 10 coaches, at least 3 or 4 will act like this. Yeah, I'm a young guy...not much older than your players. But I know what I'm doing.

With that said, how was your day? :D

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Mine was obviously better than yours! :D Maybe your "age" wasn't the reason for the coach's ire - some of them just like to yell at the refs. It is the same coaches game in & game out that yell at refs & get T's. We had a coach, when I was in school, that got at least 2-3 technicals every season.

Keep up the good work!

3afan
12-03-2004, 07:57 AM
I've never had to toss a HS softball coach ......... at least MOST of them actually will open a rule book and read it

jason
12-03-2004, 09:25 AM
i was an umpired for little league baseball and softball when i was in high school, and a baseball coach called me pathetic once...lol...they were made cause his team lost....

PPHSfan
12-03-2004, 09:39 AM
I hate blocking calls, and in my world if you don't need a mop and a towel, it's not a foul. Let em play. If you don't like blood there is always womens soccer.:D

AP Panther Fan
12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
I think this is a problem in all sports...a serious lack of respect for the officials. Coaches, players and fans need to remember that the game can't be played without people (like you) willing to officiate.:thumbsup:

3afan
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jason
i was an umpired for little league baseball and softball when i was in high school, and a baseball coach called me pathetic once...lol...they were made cause his team lost....

yeah - but that one call that caused you to be called pathetic kinda was !!! admit it !!!

Phil C
12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I hate blocking calls, and in my world if you don't need a mop and a towel, it's not a foul. Let em play. If you don't like blood there is always womens soccer.:D

I bet you wouldn't say that to Abby Womback! :)

Phil C
12-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I'm 23 years old, a senior at UT, and ref mostly 4A and 5A varisty boys basketball. I also ref college, which is unheard of for people my age. So I think I know my stuff.

With that said, why do coaches constantly look down and me on the court and always question my calls? I called that foul for a reason--because he hacked the guy to death. Or no coach, that isn't a travel....it wasn't one on your side of the court either.

I had to T up a coach tonight at the Georgetown tournament. I normally don't do that at all. But out of every 10 coaches, at least 3 or 4 will act like this. Yeah, I'm a young guy...not much older than your players. But I know what I'm doing.

Keep up your mental toughness KTJ! The sport needs good refs like you.

Phil C
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Speaking of women's soccer thank you PPHS. I almost forgot to post about the women's ncaa playoffs. I must go start a new thread!! :)

vet93
12-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Keep your head up KTJ....many coaches rag on the umps regardless of age. Some like to single out young refs or ones that they think that they can intimidate into seeing things their way. Don't worry about it. If you keep your professionalism and integrity intact then everything else will take care of itself. Good luck!

Bullaholic
12-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

KTJ....Sorry you had a bad night "reffing". I've never had to ref and I really don't know much about basketball, but I can offer you this----You are the "man" out there regardless of your age. Call em' as you see em' and don't look back--- maintain control at all times, and keep a firm but even hand on those "pushy" coaches and fans by warning them about unacceptable behavior. Give a "T" if you think it is needed, and don't ever hesitate to "pitch" anybody, and I mean anybody, if it is warranted. I think the thing that coaches and fans get most irritated with are "wishy-washy" officials who give the appearance of knowing what they are doing, and don't. If you call a even-handed game to the best of your ability and offer reasonable explanations for you calls according to the rules of the game---nobody can find fault with your officiating after they calm down. Best of luck to you--and thanks for what you are willing to do for sports fans, coaches, and players.

AP Panther Fan
12-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
KTJ....Sorry you had a bad night "reffing". I've never had to ref and I really don't know much about basketball, but I can offer you this----You are the "man" out there regardless of your age. Call em' as you see em' and don't look back--- maintain control at all times, and keep a firm but even hand on those "pushy" coaches and fans by warning them about unacceptable behavior. Give a "T" if you think it is needed, and don't ever hesitate to "pitch" anybody, and I mean anybody, if it is warranted. I think the thing that coaches and fans get most irritated with are "wishy-washy" officials who give the appearance of knowing what they are doing, and don't. If you call a even-handed game to the best of your ability and offer reasonable explanations for you calls according to the rules of the game---nobody can find fault with your officiating after they calm down. Best of luck to you--and thanks for what you are willing to do for sports fans, coaches, and players.

My, you said that well!:clap: :clap: :clap:

All very true statements...I have seen an official turn around and argue with a fan before?!! Talk about losing respect and control...........:eek:

onfirebball05mustang
12-03-2004, 01:21 PM
coaches are always upset with refs..don't make no sense if you're asking me! Keep up the good work KTJ-Call 'em like you see 'em and stick by your guns!