PDA

View Full Version : Tarpons missing key player in Lyford matchup

footballgal
10-11-2002, 08:49 AM
By M.E. Benavides
The Brownsville Herald
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sections/archive/topstoryjmp/10-11-02/1011_PI_TonyPerez.jpg
Despite sitting a top district 32-3A, all things are not well in Port Isabel.

Going into tonight’s 7:30 home matchup against the Lyford Bulldogs, the Tarpons (3-2, 2-0) are without senior offensive, defensive tackle Tony Perez.

Perez is done for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his XXXX knee, suffered early in last Friday’s game win over Hidalgo.

The loss of Perez is a big blow for a Tarpon team that appears back on track and leading the hunt for the District 32-3A title.

"It’s a big loss," Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. "He’s one of our leaders. Besides him being a great player, he’s great kid."

The three-year letterman was the catalyst behind an offensive line that has helped the Tarpons average 321-yards rushing in their first two district games.

The Tarpons will move junior Omar Torres from left guard into Perez’s spot, while sophomore Kenny Perez will be in at guard.

The Port Isabel offensive line will have to turn to its all-district offensive tackle Raymond Lopez and all-district tight end Kevin Kallus to carry the offensive load.

"I’m hoping the guys that step in will do the job," Stumbaugh said. "They played through most of the Hidalgo game and did fine."

Aside from being a starting offensive tackle, Perez’s loss will affect Port Isabel on defense as he did double-duty as a defensive tackle and defensive end.

The Bulldogs (3-2, 1-1) displayed their offensive capability, thumping a lesser Progreso team for 53 points.

"They (Lyford) have a very good running game," Stumbaugh said. "They are scary on offense."

Lyford has struggled defensively, giving up 141-points in its first five games compared to the 136-points the Bulldogs have produced on offense.

With this being a district matchup, Stumbaugh is preparing for Lyford to be ready on both ends.

"I do not expect this to be an easy game for us," Stumbaugh said. "Lyford is a good team and we’re prepared for a tough game."

Big Tarp 74
10-11-2002, 01:24 PM
I saw this in the paper today. It is sad, that Hidalgo player # 55 went out of his way to hurt Tony. I saw the play, and it still make me mad. # 55 hit Tony after the play was over. PI has other to step in. Kevin, is a good player and is even faster, with lots of size. We are sure going to miss Tony.

footballgal
10-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Big Tarp 74:
I saw this in the paper today. It is sad, that Hidalgo player # 55 went out of his way to hurt Tony. I saw the play, and it still make me mad. # 55 hit Tony after the play was over. PI has other to step in. Kevin, is a good player and is even faster, with lots of size. We are sure going to miss Tony.I know what you mean Big Tarp, the worst thing about it they didn't call the personal penalty on him, we all saw it. I saw one of the refs. after the half walk over to Tony and talk to him don't know what was said between them, but I hope it was an apology for not calling the obvious infraction. What was more upseting is that the refs wanted to resume the game when Tony was still on the ground! It reminded me of how last year an injury occured to an Hidalgo player and he was not even on the field it was on the sideline and they delayed play for at least 20 min. Yet with Tony, they didn't even give him a chance to let him get off the MIDDLE of the field. :mad:

Big Tarp 74
10-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Yes, I remember that, in this game they did everything to rushing him off. The coaches had to help pick him up and get him off. The Refs, were a big problem. I did not see the Ref talk to Tony, but I hope he was sorry for not having ejected 55 out of the game. What that kid did was take a cheap shot on Tony, and you are right, he got away with it. If Port Isabel had done that, they would ejected half the team.