PDA

View Full Version : Williams rejects potential 2005 return

TheDOCTORdre
12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Associated Press
Posted: 5 minutes ago

Ricky Williams rejected a deal that would have allowed him to serve a four-game drug suspension this season and return to the NFL next year.

"Ricky indicated to me that he is no longer interested in resuming his career at this time," Williams' lawyer, David Cornwell, said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press on Thursday.
The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner needed to let the league know by Thursday so he could be moved from the retired list to the suspended list by the deadline. He would have served the suspension for the Miami Dolphins' final four games, starting Dec. 12 at Denver.

"David Cornwell informed our office that Ricky Williams has declined to accept the terms of his reinstatement," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene wouldn't comment, saying the matter is between Williams and the NFL.

Williams, 27, stunned his team by retiring shortly before Miami opened training camp in July. The Dolphins filed a lawsuit in federal court against the running back, seeking the $8.6 million an arbitrator ruled he owes the team for breaching his contract. Williams is fighting the decision.

He is now enrolled in a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

The talks to allow Williams back into the league involved a promise to return to the field next season and to re-enter the NFL drug program immediately, including being tested on a regular basis.

"The NFL sought assurances that Ricky is indeed committed to playing," Cornwell said.

Williams gave up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL, amid reports he faced suspension for substance abuse. He rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, including a league-leading 1,853 yards in 2002. Miami acquired him from New Orleans after the 2001 season.

But without Williams, the Dolphins have gone into a tailspin. They're 2-9 and will finish with a losing record for the first time since 1988.

Williams has social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him after he stopped using the anti-depressant.

44INAROW
12-02-2004, 12:27 PM
"Williams has social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him after he stopped using the anti-depressant."

WHATEVER........................

LH Panther Mom
12-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
"Williams has social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him after he stopped using the anti-depressant."

WHATEVER........................

Hmmm. Since California "prescribes" medicinal use of marijuana for Glaucoma, I wonder if they also allow prescriptions to be issued for social-anxiety disorder. :thinking:

Mustang22
12-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Wow. WHat waist. I hoped Williams would be a better then this.

Phil C
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Say it isn't so Ricky! :(

BIGGBROTHER
12-02-2004, 12:41 PM
good for him
ill support him 100%
being that 95% of the players are on some kind of prescription
painkiller,antidepressent,suppresant,and uppers.
painkillers and football go hand in hand
unfortunatly so do addictions

when all the superstars stars half stars and the lost guys who wondered on to the field get tested by a regulatory enfallable system then yeah convict and bannish them from football
actually show the kids that drugs R bad mmmmkaayy

not say ricky williams bad while smoking.or drinking a beer,or just a little flask snip at the football game, or pop pills to give you that
bigger feeling nor pop pills for the fake happiness
or be kranky in front of them until you have your cup of coffee

yeah ricky williams has problems and he is doing what every american has done since the begining of america

just saying no to a hipocritical system

89JDAWG
12-02-2004, 12:42 PM
what an idiot!! hope he has to get a real job!!

rhs78
12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
hope he has some money saved,in the real world he is in trouble!!!!!

44INAROW
12-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
good for him
ill support him 100%
being that 95% of the players are on some kind of prescription
painkiller,antidepressent,suppresant,and uppers.
painkillers and football go hand in hand
unfortunatly so do addictions

when all the superstars stars half stars and the lost guys who wondered on to the field get tested by a regulatory enfallable system then yeah convict and bannish them from football
actually show the kids that drugs R bad mmmmkaayy

not say ricky williams bad while smoking.or drinking a beer,or just a little flask snip at the football game, or pop pills to give you that
bigger feeling nor pop pills for the fake happiness
or be kranky in front of them until you have your cup of coffee

yeah ricky williams has problems and he is doing what every american has done since the begining of america

just saying no to a hipocritical system

Coffee, Cigarettes, Beer and PRESCRIBED MEDICINE are not illegal. COCAINE and MARIJUANA ARE - open and shut on that.

spiveyrat
12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
I think everyone deserves a second chance. But, now that he has blown that one, I think he has lost all credibility on and off the field.

Keith7
12-02-2004, 02:19 PM
COCAINE and MARIJUANA ARE - open and shut on that.

he never did Cocaine, and Marijauna is the least harmful drug out there, there can be arguements made that Marijauna is less harmful then Cigarettes, and alcohol

44INAROW
12-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
he never did Cocaine, and Marijauna is the least harmful drug out there, there can be arguements made that Marijauna is less harmful then Cigarettes, and alcohol

I never said he DID Cocaine or Marijuana. I just said they were illegal, which they are. I am not going to get into a debate on this..:inlove: :inlove:

Keith7
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
I never said he DID Cocaine or Marijuana. I just said they were illegal, which they are. I am not going to get into a debate on this..:inlove: :inlove:

i just wrote a paper on the subject not too long ago and figured i finally had a chance to use something i learned in school for once, but darn i was wrong :D

spiveyrat
12-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

I'm betting there are studies that say marijuana are more harmful than cigarettes. At least cigarettes have filters.

spiveyrat
12-02-2004, 03:17 PM
3 joints equals 20 cigarettes (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/53/61189.htm)

TheDOCTORdre
12-02-2004, 03:18 PM
of course the only real reason that mary jane is illegal is because it cant be taxed

mustang04
12-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
of course the only real reason that mary jane is illegal is because it cant be taxed

haha...where did u hear THAT?

mustang04
12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
im just curious...how many college students have died of alcohol poisoning?????

and how many from marijuana????

the argument of which is worth can go both ways

BIGGBROTHER
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
oh they are illegal blahblahblah

well yeah they are

key in point is the use of drugs

not herbs or plants

plus my point was about the hypocrites like yourself who badger those who use less harmful addictive remedies

and promote leading causes of death

hmmmmmm

how many people died from cigarette related health problems

how many people died from accidents related to alcohol
how many people addicted to alcohol cigarettesand caffeine
how healthy would we be if we didnt have those items

yet go ahead say that man was bad
but you are so great
yeah i said it cast the first stone

illegal or not the truth out weighs

more people are addicted to legal items than illegal
more people die from legal items than illegal
and the taxes on both well

ricky did a great thing coming out of college he set up his contract

to only make money if he produced

an aspect far far away from the norm of superstars
if all players followed this reasoning in every sport
we wouldnt be lax on players drug use , kids could look up to heros again
yet now everybody is out for "me and mines"

sorry kid my contract says i cant sign that

and these are the same guys who got busted in the mid nineties and now host some of the pregame hooplah

but nobody remembers that
nobody remembers the george halas's
vince lombardi's ,and nute rockne's

where rub some dirt in it and shut up stopped the pain
where you worked a daytime job and played football on the side

no just "williams turned down a contract what a loser blahblahblah"

if he does the dope or not he was a great football player
and always will be
if decides to use the dope and other medicine not regulated by the
hmmm no politics
the "man"
then let him be

look to your next superstar who might just might have sold to your kid

THANK YOU
hollywood henderson,most of the 95 cowboys,all the guys hooked on painkillers that offed themselves or got into a car wreck,thanks to all the steroid users,

for giving us guilt free entertainment

Hupernikomen
12-02-2004, 03:51 PM

you are joking, right?

pero chato
12-02-2004, 03:54 PM

"He is now enrolled in a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

Sounds like he is exactly where he needs to be.

44INAROW
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by BIGGBROTHER
oh they are illegal blahblahblah

well yeah they are

key in point is the use of drugs

not herbs or plants

plus my point was about the hypocrites like yourself who badger those who use less harmful addictive remedies

and promote leading causes of death

hmmmmmm

how many people died from cigarette related health problems

how many people died from accidents related to alcohol
how many people addicted to alcohol cigarettesand caffeine
how healthy would we be if we didnt have those items

yet go ahead say that man was bad
but you are so great
yeah i said it cast the first stone

illegal or not the truth out weighs

more people are addicted to legal items than illegal
more people die from legal items than illegal
and the taxes on both well

ricky did a great thing coming out of college he set up his contract

to only make money if he produced

an aspect far far away from the norm of superstars
if all players followed this reasoning in every sport
we wouldnt be lax on players drug use , kids could look up to heros again
yet now everybody is out for "me and mines"

sorry kid my contract says i cant sign that

and these are the same guys who got busted in the mid nineties and now host some of the pregame hooplah

but nobody remembers that
nobody remembers the george halas's
vince lombardi's ,and nute rockne's

where rub some dirt in it and shut up stopped the pain
where you worked a daytime job and played football on the side

no just "williams turned down a contract what a loser blahblahblah"

if he does the dope or not he was a great football player
and always will be
if decides to use the dope and other medicine not regulated by the
hmmm no politics
the "man"
then let him be

look to your next superstar who might just might have sold to your kid

THANK YOU
hollywood henderson,most of the 95 cowboys,all the guys hooked on painkillers that offed themselves or got into a car wreck,thanks to all the steroid users,

for giving us guilt free entertainment

Only reply I have to this WONDERFUL testament lol is I do not smoke, drink or use drugs, so therefore, how can you call me a hypocrit? Judging from your age, you are just beginning your life as an adult, I wish you well in your journey. 25 years from now, you will see things in a different light.

Keith7
12-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
3 joints equals 20 cigarettes (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/53/61189.htm)

My Rebuttal (http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b1d062f7b0f.htm)

Phil C
12-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Why take drugs, alcohol or tobacco when you can enjoy life by doing such things as going to football, basketball (men and women), baseball, volleyball, soccer and softball, etc. I like them all but my favorite is softball.

CHSBaseball07
12-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, What Kind of IDIOT ARE YOU??

Keith7
12-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by CHSBaseball07
Ricky, Ricky, Ricky, What Kind of IDIOT ARE YOU??

he sounds like one that doesnt want to play football anymore.. is that a crime?

Mustang22
12-02-2004, 06:16 PM
ITs not a crime. But when you can make a living doing somthing that millions of young me dream about, why would you throw it away? I feel Ricky had made a mistake. He has a chance to live a dream few get to live. Id live that dream. But every one is different.

Keith7
12-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Mustang22
ITs not a crime. But when you can make a living doing somthing that millions of young me dream about, why would you throw it away? I feel Ricky had made a mistake. He has a chance to live a dream few get to live. Id live that dream. But every one is different.

not everybody has the same dream

JettJenkins04
12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
It seems to me like he just wants to further his education and be as great if not greater than his was in football towards whatever he ends up doing. Good luck to you Ricky and hang in there. Nobody's perfect.

JettJenkins04
12-02-2004, 08:43 PM

How don't you know that he has already in his eye's lived that dream. He's probably just tired of being in the spotlight. Now he can just live life like a regular man.

BIGGBROTHER
12-02-2004, 11:45 PM
right on jett

and 4 n arow
good for you im glad
yes 25 years from now ill see things in another way and you will still be wrong hopefully gone and not polluting the rest of the world with your ignorance but still will be wrong

ive said my peace and tired of breathing your hot air
ricky williams is has and always will be a great football player

he has done nothing wrong

all he has done is protect his freedom

maybe if he was part of the moteesah tribe yall would lay off him
maybe not

Highschoolfan78
12-03-2004, 12:12 AM
yes 25 years from now ill see things in another way and you will still be wrong hopefully gone and not polluting the rest of the world with your ignorance but still will be wrong

First thing I have to say is that is the most ignorant post i have seen Bigbrother. Not only is it ingorant but it is offensive and i think you should have more respect to people in today's society.

This is a message board that everyone can display their point of view on various topics. But once you say offensive statements like that last post of yours, it becomes personal and isn't appreciated on this board.

On to Ricky, it is his choice and I agree that he should not play if he does not have the heart in it. Some people do have different views on a successful life and different ways of pursuing happiness. He obviously was not happy playing football.

Drug use is a serious problem into today's society, but more people use it than people realize. Many professional players do all kinds of things that society itself would not approve but they get by with it. I am glad he is out of the game because now some one else will get the chance to have their dream come true, a dream that he did not envision any longer. All of this is just my opinion.

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
And it is a very fine opinion, HSF78.

Personally, I think the whole thing is stupid. He knew when he left what the consequences were going to be. He said he wanted to come back. Why bother to say that? Did he think the Dolphins & NFL were going to miraculously going to change their minds and let him back in with no consequences? Oooh, Ricky, you're so fine (ok that was bad, I know)....please, please come back. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

BIGGBROTHER
12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
if its ignorant then why are you restating everything i wrote

the ignorance falls toward 4

what i had said was drugs are prevalent throughout the nfl

and if everyone is going to jump on a superstar
then they should jump on the whole league and all players

oh yeah and maybe college
and then highschool

drugs are bad their is a problem
and to raise a kid who looks up to football player
it makes it tough when they come to a point to meet expectations
or the ability to play if not the stress of trying to get out and play college football for that is the only way they get to go

above all the stress of school alone
their are so many bull rules now how do they function

most of the problems kids face today are the ones they are suppose to face in college or the first part of life outside of highschool

that being said is why i was so into this thread
ricky williams didnt do a bad thing
he left football to protect his freedom
and peace of mind
and hes going back to school

playing in the NFL you are met with a bombardment of drugs
from your basic growth hormone to painkillers just for headaches
ricky saw the effects of painkillers and antideppressants where having on the other players and made a corrective desicion

most of player have the addiction to codone yeah the oxy type
when you start taking 90 pills at a time thats an addiction
ketamine most of you ranchers know this is a animal traquilizer
deladid etcetcetc

and most of what the player take are legal
yet more addictive or as addictive than illegal

yet ricky bad he take bad drug
when coffee,sorry caffeine, alcohol,beer etc
wine cigars chew cigarettes and many other are ok
yet all these drugs cause the biggest problems most deaths and are still at your local convenient store
for your children to scam someone in to buyin

all im sayin is lay off the guy
if you believe im ignorant well yes i am im ignoring your ignorance
oh yeah 4 i dont drink i dont smoke i dont chew and i stay away from caffeine i dont do drugs
and thank you my sight has changed
and i will not let age affect my wisdom

anyone here stopped a 10 year old kid from using drugs
anyone stopped their own
anyone talk to them about it
anyones child have to have a glass jaw put in because of cancer
or is everyone just the holiest of holy and "that wouldnt happen to my child"

I know the moms in here know there kids

Ricky made a decision to get out of football
he tried to come back hoping things had changed for the better
its not better so now he is going back to school
so where is he wrong where does he deserve the boos

maybe everyone should be booing the NFL
for only testing for certain drugs and certain levels of

Panther Ross
12-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Great he doesn't need to be in the NFL.

BIGGBROTHER
12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
well yeah

BlitzemAll
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Ricky's problem is not protecting freedom or anything like that, hero warship the "doper" if you want but its real simple, he wants to smoke and not be punished, he has not grown up, he is the epitomy of todays youth, "willfull, do what I want, don't give me consequences"

He is "choosing" to stay out because he found out he would still be punished and tested more often.

lobo dad
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hmmm. Since California "prescribes" medicinal use of marijuana for Glaucoma, I wonder if they also allow prescriptions to be issued for social-anxiety disorder. :thinking:

Maybe he will go play for the Raiders. Then he can smoke all he wants.

Phil C
12-04-2004, 07:57 PM
You are all forgetting that Ricky is known for his high intelligence and being able to carry on intelligent insightful conversation on world topics. He is not like many football players. He has a brilliant mind and is highly intellectual.