PDA

View Full Version : Snyder's RB Dee Walker (Article)

Snyder_TigerFan
12-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Always in motion, Walker making most of stop in Snyder
By Joshua Parrott / Reporter-News staff writer
December 2, 2004

Dee Walker has lived in constant motion for the past four years, both on and off the football field.

But Walker isn't concerned with location, which has been a good thing considering the Snyder High School senior has attended three different high schools over the past three years.

''Moving around a lot hasn't scared me,'' said Walker, who moved to Snyder from Arizona last spring. ''My dad told me that no matter where I moved to I would be successful wherever I went. I'm just fortunate to have come to Snyder.''

It appears the Tigers (11-2 overall) have been equally fortunate to have Walker this year. In his Snyder debut, Walker ran for 276 yards and three touchdowns in a win over Levelland. Walker has gained at least 100 yards on the ground in all but one game this season and has totaled 200-plus yards three times.

So far this season, Walker has helped the Tigers shoulder the loss of 18 seniors from last year's team by running for 2,135 yards (7.1 yards per carry) and scoring 27 total touchdowns.

With Saturday's 21-7 win over Iowa Park in the Class 3A Division II regional semifinals, Snyder advanced past the third round of the playoffs for the first time in school history. The Tigers, who won a share of the District 4-3A title this year, will play Sweetwater on Friday in a state quarterfinal playoff game in Big Spring.

Snyder coach Chad Rogers said those individual numbers don't do Walker justice because ''he's had five touchdowns called back.''

''The kids plays with a lot of confidence and so does our team,'' Rogers said of Walker. ''They feed off him a lot. There were a lot of questions that he needed to answer when he got here, and he has.''

On the move

Walker's move to Snyder was not the first time he had to adjust to new surroundings.

An Arizona native, Walker was born and raised in Phoenix and attended Sunny Slope High School as a freshman and sophomore. Though he played football and basketball and ran track at Sunny Slope, Walker saw his biggest success on the gridiron as a sophomore, starting at running back and defensive back.

But Walker didn't have a chance to enjoy much success at Sunny Slope before moving to Yuma, Ariz., with his father and two brothers during his sophomore year.

''My dad got a job promotion for the gas company he worked for,'' Walker said. ''I had two younger brothers that had just recently become a part of my life, and I wanted to stay with them and help raise them.''

Walker wasted no time making an impact at Yuma's Kofa High School during his junior year. For the first couple games of football season, Walker started at running back and safety before the coaches decided to keep him on the offensive side of the ball.

Despite separating his right shoulder early in the season, Walker ran for ''about 900 yards in like eight games.''

In April of 2004, Walker found himself on the move again: destination, Snyder, where Walker's grandfather owned a farm.

''My dad was divorcing his wife and wanted to start over and ended up coming to Snyder because we had some family here,'' Walker said. ''I wanted to come here and continue helping raise my brothers.''

Impressive first impression

Rogers couldn't remember the exact time Walker first came to Snyder.

''You would think a kid comes in and rushed for 2,000 yards, and you would know when he came in,'' Rogers said, with a laugh. ''He moved here in April, right after spring break. The principal called me and told me there was a kid who just moved in and wanted to play football.

''I could tell from the look in his eyes that he was serious and wanted to play football. Plus, you could tell he enjoyed lifting weights.''

Walker, who grew up working on ranches and farms ''carrying barbed wire and running from rattle snakes,'' continued to impress Rogers and the Snyder coaching staff when the football team had individual skill testing in the spring.

The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Walker repped 405 pounds four times on squats, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds and benched more than 325 pounds.

Rogers said he couldn't compare Walker with any of his previous players because ''in my career, I think he'll be the one I'll compare other backs to.''

Walker said his work in the weight room has helped him overcome his lack of size.

''I've never been the biggest back so that strength is what gets me by,'' Walker said. ''I've got the leg strength to get through tackles, and I have the speed to get to the outside, but having Barry Sanders' speed doesn't help if you can't read your blocks.''

Walker's combination of strength, production and desire has sparked the interest of college coaches across the country.

But Walker's not talking about it.

''I've received letters, and it's cool and all, but I'm more focused on being a Snyder Tiger and winning in the playoffs,'' Walker said.

Dee Walker, Senior, Running back, Snyder

Walker has made his first season with the Tigers a memorable one, rushing for 2,135 yards and scoring 27 touchdowns in leading Snyder past the third round of the playoffs for the first time in school history. He also helped the Tigers win a share of this year's District 4-3A title.

Ranger Mom
12-02-2004, 09:56 AM
That was a nice article...thanks for posting it!!:)

Black & Gold
12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Good kid with a great head on his shoulders.

strata_0
12-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Who held him under a 100 yards?

Mustang22
12-02-2004, 01:07 PM
I belive Sweetwater did. I think I remember the guys saying that.
But i dont know for sure.

Black_Magic
12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mustang22
I belive Sweetwater did. I think I remember the guys saying that.
But i dont know for sure. He had 130 vs sweetwater. He had only 78 vs Lubbock Cooper early in the season.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Great running back. Has a lot of speed. Did break through several IP tacklers last week. Had good vision, has breakaway speed. He had trouble cutting back againt IP. Although he didn't have to do it too often. I was very impressed.

wildstangs
12-02-2004, 07:17 PM
I have heard him on the news a few times...Very nice guy.

I am glad he has the chance to play Texas high school football. I will never forget his kickoff return against Wylie.

TOPS1435
12-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Interesting!

He has something in common with Gilmer's receiver/db Tay Bowser. Bowser came to Gilmer for the first time last year. The year before he had played at a 4A school in Longview, Pine Tree. He became part of the Buckeyes and had some success.

In the off season, his mother wanted to move to Dallas. Tay had been moving almost every school year, and he wanted to have a place to stay and become a part of something. He told his mother he did not want to go, and he started to live with the Buckeye quarterback.

When M. J. went on recruiting visits last spring, Bowser went along. Coaches began asking him, who are you and looking at game film while they were studying M. J. (who also was a receiver last year). As a result, he got the bid from Mississippi State.

His mother is back in the area, I'm told, but he's still living with the Johnson family.:thumbsup: