PDA

View Full Version : RC's ride..... DMN article

dogdad
12-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Royse City relish postseason ride

Coaches, players take time to enjoy playoff run

02:58 AM CST on Wednesday, December 1, 2004

By BOB THOMPSON / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

When the Royse City football team rolled into Tyler on Friday for its Class 3A Division I state quarterfinal game, hundreds of its fans were already tailgating in the parking lot. Many of them had camped out the night before.

Then, after Royse City's 35-8 victory over Center at Tyler's Rose Stadium, the team bus arrived back in town to the cheers of hundreds of townspeople celebrating the school's historic win.

If the Bulldogs didn't already realize their impact on the Royse City community, they do now.

With their 10th straight victory, the Bulldogs advanced beyond the quarterfinals for the first time in school history. Royse City (11-2) will meet perennial 3A power Abilene Wylie at 8 p.m. Friday at Texas Stadium for the right to play for the 3A Division I state championship.

"It was such an amazing feeling to see all of our fans lining the streets and waving at us when we got back," quarterback James Mapps said. "This is something that I'm going to remember for the rest of my life."

Of course, they're not done yet.

The Bulldogs are two wins away from hoisting a state championship trophy, a fact that still humbles Royse City's second-year coach Rodney Webb.

As the season wore on, Webb began thinking that his team could go deep into the playoffs. But the reality of this playoff run has been even more fun than he imagined.

"I've told my coaches and my players to really take some time to take it all in and enjoy this experience, because you don't know if you're ever going to get another opportunity like this again," Webb said.

"As a coach, you really can't get so caught up in your preparation that you forget to enjoy the ride, and we really have. As a coaching staff, I don't think we've felt any pressure since district play. We're having as much fun as the players."

Royse City might be peaking at the perfect time after putting together its most complete effort of the season against Center. The Bulldogs rolled up 434 total yards, including 381 on the ground as they built a 21-0 halftime lead and cruised to a victory. Meanwhile, the defense limited Center to 178 yards.

"Every week, we set nine offensive goals for ourselves, and Friday's game was the first time that we reached all nine objectives," Webb said.

"We're playing with a lot of confidence right now on both sides of the ball."

A big factor in the Bulldogs' success has been turnovers. Royse City, which committed only 11 turnovers during the regular season, has yet to commit a one in the postseason.

The defense has six takeaways in the Bulldogs' three playoff wins.

"The coaches have told us all year that we have to win the turnover battle to be successful," Mapps said. "I guess it finally sank in, because we haven't been turning it over, and our defense has been making plays. We just have to keep it up for two more games."

Class 3A Division I semifinal, Royse City (11-2) vs. Abilene Wylie (10-3), 8 p.m. Friday at Texas Stadium