PDA

View Full Version : Royse City QB Speed Demon (Article on Royse City QB)

Keith7
12-01-2004, 02:19 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/11-04/1130hs.jpg

Royse City senior learns to play QB on the run

11:32 PM CST on Monday, November 29, 2004

By BOB THOMPSON / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

ROYSE CITY – Royse City's James Mapps certainly didn't need a new position.

As the team's featured tailback last year, Mapps gained 846 yards and scored five touchdowns. He was looking forward to a big senior season.

But Royse City needed someone to play quarterback. So when second-year coach Rodney Webb approached Mapps last spring about moving under center, the 5-10, 180-pound senior agreed, although not without some apprehension.

"I've always been a running back," Mapps said. "When I was little, my coaches used to call me 'Little Emmitt' because I wanted to be like Emmitt Smith. That's why I've always worn No. 22." Once a standout tailback, James Mapps overcame a 1-of-18, three-interception debut as Royse City's quarterback.

Mapps' move to quarterback just might have been the masterstroke behind Royse City's run to the Class 3A Division I semifinals, the farthest the school has ever been in the state playoffs. Under Mapps' direction, Royse City has won 10 straight games heading into Friday's 3A semifinal against Abilene Wylie.

He wasn't entirely uncomfortable with the transition. In Royse City's offense, the quarterback is basically an extra running back. Still, there was an adjustment period.

In a season-opening loss to Celina, Royse City fell behind early and was forced to abandon the run. Mapps was unable to engineer a comeback through the air, however, completing just one of 18 passes with three interceptions.

"I didn't know anything about reading defenses," Mapps admitted. "When we got into a long-yardage situation, I basically just picked a receiver, threw it as far as I could and hoped."

But he could still always tuck the ball and run with it. And run he has.

Mapps has carried the ball 273 for 2,403 yards, a whopping 8.8 yards per carry. He has scored 31 touchdowns on the ground and has fumbled only once.

"I've heard of guys rushing for 2,400 yards in a season, but I don't know that I've ever even coached against a player that has done it, let alone had one on my team," Webb said. "He's so instinctive. He can outrun you, he can make you miss or he can run over you."

Of course, Mapps has plenty of support. He's had big holes to run through behind an offensive line that returned five starters this season. Junior running back Cameron Holliness has also helped shoulder much of the load with 1,801 yards and 24 touchdowns.

"I get a lot of the credit because I've put up a lot of yards and scored a lot of touchdowns," Mapps said. "But everybody has played their role perfectly this year to get us to this point."

As the season wore on, he developed into an effective passer against defenses that have put eight or nine men near the line of scrimmage. He has completed 47 of 124 passes for 830 yards and has thrown seven touchdowns along with seven interceptions – but no picks in his last five games.

"We've always known that James had a good arm, but he's really grown into the quarterback position," Webb said. "In retrospect, maybe we should have moved him to quarterback sooner in his career."

kaorder1999
12-01-2004, 02:22 PM
yeah...he should have become a QB sooner then this year!! any offers from colleges? have the grades?

Keith7
12-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
yeah...he should have become a QB sooner then this year!! any offers from colleges? have the grades?

I dont know about either of those, i just copyed and pasted the article from the Dallas morning news, but i'm thinkin that he will get some college offers for sure, but he prolly hasnt gotten any major ones just yet because this is sort of his break out year, last year his stats looked like this,

James Mapps 134 Att. 846 Yds. 5 TDs.

Not too shabby, but not a major college prospect at that time.. i'm sure his stock has rose alot thru this season..

Jet1
12-01-2004, 03:07 PM
I am sure there is a place for him somewhere. With that yardage I would want him

Rabbit'93
12-01-2004, 04:23 PM
Alot of schools might put him back at RB. I know I would. If you can't pass that effectively at this point then I'd bet colleges would prefer him as a RB rather than QB.

dogdad
12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
James makes good grades, he a full qualifier through NCAA clearinghouse. He's also a real good kid. He's a little shy and doesn't seek the limelight. His Mom and Dad did a real good job raising him.
He is being recruited by the Naval Academy as QB
He would play RB in most programs. He reminds me a lot of Quentin Griffin from OU.
He would like to play for SMU or somewhere closer to home, so if anyone out there from TCU, SMU, UNT, Baylor is listening, let's get something going. I guarantee James will be a player in college. He will also be a positive influence on all his teammates. He is the kind of kid that all coaches wish they had on their team.....you can't say that about some of these guys that are star players.

Keith7
12-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dogdad
James makes good grades, he a full qualifier through NCAA clearinghouse. He's also a real good kid. He's a little shy and doesn't seek the limelight. His Mom and Dad did a real good job raising him.
He is being recruited by the Naval Academy as QB
He would play RB in most programs. He reminds me a lot of Quentin Griffin from OU.
He would like to play for SMU or somewhere closer to home, so if anyone out there from TCU, SMU, UNT, Baylor is listening, let's get something going. I guarantee James will be a player in college. He will also be a positive influence on all his teammates. He is the kind of kid that all coaches wish they had on their team.....you can't say that about some of these guys that are star players.

he sounds like a great kid, i hope the best for him

Leopards,class of 75
12-01-2004, 07:25 PM
How much does James weigh? And how tall is he?

Keith7
12-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
How much does James weigh? And how tall is he?

The Dallas Morning News has him at 5-9 175..

Leopards,class of 75
12-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
The Dallas Morning News has him at 5-9 175.. Thanks for the info. Keith. Who do you pick to win this game????

Keith7
12-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
Thanks for the info. Keith. Who do you pick to win this game????

I think Abilene Wylie will pull off the win, but i want Royse City to win because of the better story and they have excellent players and fans..

but my prediction Wylie by 10 prove me wrong Royse City

dogdad
12-14-2004, 07:43 PM
update:
SMU has offered James scholarship to play RB
other schools are talking to him also, but my guess is that SMU will get him
If so, watch for this kid at SMU, he's gonna be a playmaker there