PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Wylie/Decatur game...

Adidas410s
12-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I have sat here and listened to all the "Decatur beat themselves"..."Wylie sucks"..."Wylie is better than Decatur"..."insert your own comment here" for 4 days and now I am going to make 1 post that I feel best examines the differences in the 2 games they played and shows that the changes that Wylie made DID effect the outcome...as is indicative of them playing Royse City and Decatur playing basketball. PLEASE feel free to rip into my theory though...but at the same time PLEASE refrain from having stupid 1 line HS comments with NO FACTS to back things up. Sometimes things happen in life that CANNOT be explained with numbers and facts, but football is VERY RARELY something unexplainable...and this game is no different! Here ya go...have fun children!

The part of Wylie's gameplan that worked was the drop 7, and rush 4 as hard as possible. It put CONSTANT pressure on Dane to rush his throws and he had to scramble A LOT. Note that he had 13 or 14 runs and 2 at most were designed plays. Wylie had at least 6 or 7 sacks (I cant find a definite total) and that is A LOT more than they had the first game.

If you want to discuss defensive game plans, than look no further than how Tech did against UT and A&M. Yes they are going to get their yards, and LOTS of them because you cant expect to shut down all 40 passes that he throws. If you throw 50 15-yd routes and only catch 20 of them (40% completion...not a good rating AT ALL) then you still throw for 300 yards. That is assuming that your receivers have 0 YAC.

Tech vs Texas - 34 of 51 for 403 yds but only 1 TD and 1 INT!!! This was with 67% efficiency, very good number...ESPECIALLY by Cumbie's standards! Including the YAC, that is 11.85 yds/catch.

Tech vs A&M - 31 of 50 for 294 yds with 3 TD's but also 3 INT's. That is 62% efficiency and 9.5 yds/catch.

By comparison...here are Dane's numbers against Wylie...both from Game 1 and Game 2:

Game 1 - 17 of 24 for 336 and 5 TD's. That is 71% completion rate and 19.76 yds/catch. Additionally, they had 17 carries for 108 yds and 1 TD, which is 6.35 yds/carry.

Game 2 - 24 of 37 for 355 yards but only 1 TD AND 1 INT (would have been 2 but last pass was intentionally dropped for better field position). That is 65% completion and 14.79 yds/catch. Running the ball, they had 25 carries but for only 44 yards (1.76 yds/carry). These numbers do include the 14 carries/scrambles/sacks that Dane had for a total of -3 yards.

As you can see, the 15 yds/throw theory plays itself out quite well. As somebody else pointed out, you cant keep using the throw it deep across the middle and down the seams when you are in the redzone. As we all know, this is because the defense is bunched up now in the seams and when they are dropping 7 guys it's all but impossible to throw effective deep routes with much consistency into that type of coverage. To further show that what Wylie did was working, note that 3 of Decatur's TD in the first game came on plays of 30+ yards while they only had 1 reception that was more than 20 yards against Wylie in game 2.

Say what you will but while the numbers are quite inflated for Decatur, there are GLARING statistics that show that the changes Wylie implemented DID in fact make a difference.

Whsdogs
12-01-2004, 01:42 AM
wow....could not have been better said...thanks for clearing up the air..for now lol

BullFrog Dad
12-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Adidas410s, That was a good analysis of game stats. What is your opinion of Decatur's football future with the loss of Seniors Dane/Christian and the probable bump to 4A in the '06 season? Other posters feel free to give your thoughts.

Humpty
12-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Very well put, It shows to me that Wylie had the better game plan for this game. You have to give the coach a big pat on the back for this one.
For Decatur their D- also played very well holding Wylie to 14.
I do think that Decatur will still be a threat in football for the next couple of years. Winning is contagious and a winning 35 of the last 39 games tends to build a great winning season for the guys comming up

whatdoiknow?
12-01-2004, 12:16 PM
I think that is a very good analysis of the game. I would like to add another thought to this game. The radio play by play announcers, Decatur coaches, and fans said repeatedly they never were able to catch a break in this game. It is hard to feel much sympathy for the Eagle coaches when they continually ran the score up each week. Before the Eagle backers start to scream that Dane didn't play after the first series of the second half, check the stats. In seven games this year, the eagles scored late in the 4th quarter to go up by 35 points or more with their starters still in the game. To kick a 20 yard field goal with about 1 minute left to beat Castleberry 45-0 is just wrong. For Godbolt to score a TD in the 3rd quarter to go up 70-0 against Ranchview is wrong. Dane to Christian in the 4th quarter to beat Lake Worth 63-0, also wrong. When a team starts to play for individual stats, I think it can cause them to lose focus on what really matters. When you do this week in and week out, don't expect the football gods to smile on you. Even though they can't say it publicly, I bet there were alot of coaches rooting for Abilene Wylie on Friday nite.

Chief Woodman
12-01-2004, 06:37 PM
No doubt what Wylie did obviously made a difference. But I think most folks will agree that when a team wiins by only one and the losing team missed a field goal that EITHER team could have won the game. (not the blocked one...the one with a good snap good hold kick untouched barely misses). That missed field goal had NOTHING to do with talent on the Wylie side of the ball or anything they did on the play. It certainly was not "Tradition" that blew the ball off course- it was the wind. EITHER team could have won this game.

Victory by 1 point means you advance and that you won. I have always felt that if the final score is a difference of less than a TD it shows that the teams were fairly even and someone got some breaks. But I suppose that many will say that Decatur missing that field goal was not a lucky break for the Wylie Bulldogs but that they somehow caused the miss. I know if the shoe was on the other foot and that a missed field goal by our opponents was the difference in the game I would be feeling like we dodged a bullet, not that we "beat" anybody.

Leopards,class of 75
12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
This game was so close and both teams played their hearts out to win. Like always, someone had to lose . I wish good luck to Wylie and congradulations to Decatur for another great season!

Adidas410s
12-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
No doubt what Wylie did obviously made a difference. But I think most folks will agree that when a team wiins by only one and the losing team missed a field goal that EITHER team could have won the game. (not the blocked one...the one with a good snap good hold kick untouched barely misses). That missed field goal had NOTHING to do with talent on the Wylie side of the ball or anything they did on the play. It certainly was not "Tradition" that blew the ball off course- it was the wind. EITHER team could have won this game.

Victory by 1 point means you advance and that you won. I have always felt that if the final score is a difference of less than a TD it shows that the teams were fairly even and someone got some breaks. But I suppose that many will say that Decatur missing that field goal was not a lucky break for the Wylie Bulldogs but that they somehow caused the miss. I know if the shoe was on the other foot and that a missed field goal by our opponents was the difference in the game I would be feeling like we dodged a bullet, not that we "beat" anybody.

I'm not disputing whether or Decatur could have won the game. I am just writing this because so many people, Dane included in his comments in the paper, keep stating that Decatur should have easily won this game. I feel that they could have won this game but it would not have been the blow out that many people stated that it should have been...I ESPECIALLY wrote it after seeing many people say, again including Dane, that Wylie didn't play any better but that Decatur blew it. It was a combination of Wylie playing better, developing a better game plan against Decatur, and Decatur not executing on defense in the 1st half and on offense in the red zone the entire game!

PPHSfan
12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
You can't single out any one play in a 48 minute game and call it the reason you lost. Especially a missed field goal. Every single play you run on offense and don't score a touchdown is a "missed" opportunity. To call a missed field goal the reason you lost a game by one point is putting the blame on one player. And winners don't do that.

D-GOOD
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
I agree with adidas and I have stated before in another post that was saying 4-3 was a joke, that in the playoffs especialy in rounds 3 and on the team with the better game plan and execution wins regardless of the records. I watched Wylie play before and even though we won they are a tremendous team as are the other two teams in 4-3. Decatur might have been the better team the whole season but last friday night it was wylie and that is why they are playing this weekend. I am sure wylie didnt score every time they thought they could but bottom line 14-13 wylie. The better team on that night won no excuses. go bulldogs

DOGFAN
12-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Wylie had 10 sacks, seven of them by two players in a different role than the first game. Austin Sayre a Jr. who has come on strong in the playoffs and Levi Wolfe an all district DT from last year who only played center in the first game. Decatur saw a different team, I don't care what anybody says. I saw Wylie boys whipping kids from Decatur on every play and trusting their teamates. To call it dodging a bullet doesn't do this win justice. To even stay on the field with the talent Decatur has is earned, much less to score twice as many TD's as the most touted offense in the state.

whatdoiknow?
12-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Any truth to the rumor of a fight in the Decatur lockerroom at halftime?

Matthew328
12-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Sandifer does a GREAT job getting Wylie ready for playoff games....those guys are always ready to put up a fight....they are well coached and talented....I knew the game would be much closer than their regular season game.....I was surprised to see Decatur fall though....

Wylie is a tough tough out come playoff time...to beat them you better be on your A game....

whereugo
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by whatdoiknow?
I think that is a very good analysis of the game. I would like to add another thought to this game. The radio play by play announcers, Decatur coaches, and fans said repeatedly they never were able to catch a break in this game. It is hard to feel much sympathy for the Eagle coaches when they continually ran the score up each week. Before the Eagle backers start to scream that Dane didn't play after the first series of the second half, check the stats. In seven games this year, the eagles scored late in the 4th quarter to go up by 35 points or more with their starters still in the game. To kick a 20 yard field goal with about 1 minute left to beat Castleberry 45-0 is just wrong. For Godbolt to score a TD in the 3rd quarter to go up 70-0 against Ranchview is wrong. Dane to Christian in the 4th quarter to beat Lake Worth 63-0, also wrong. When a team starts to play for individual stats, I think it can cause them to lose focus on what really matters. When you do this week in and week out, don't expect the football gods to smile on you. Even though they can't say it publicly, I bet there were alot of coaches rooting for Abilene Wylie on Friday nite.

You hit the nail on the head - and amen! Like I said before - if other teams would have used the same game plan - they would have done better against Decatur. Hats off to the WYlie coaching staff and hats off to you for pointing out what many know but some fail to acknowledge. Again - good luck to the Dawgs.

Underwater Basketweaver
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Any truth to the rumor of a fight in the Decatur lockerroom at halftime?

Absolutely not, no offense to you personally, but that is the dumbest rumor I have ever heard.

Chief Woodman
12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
You can't single out any one play in a 48 minute game and call it the reason you lost. Especially a missed field goal. Every single play you run on offense and don't score a touchdown is a "missed" opportunity. To call a missed field goal the reason you lost a game by one point is putting the blame on one player. And winners don't do that.

I was not saying that is why we lost- just pointing out that for someone from West Texas to say that "tradition" won the game or to imply that Decatur could not have won was not being entirely truthfull. If Decatur had 50 offensive plays and did not score 50 touchdowns then on each play something went wrong. Be it effort on Wylie's part, or lack of execution on Decatur's part.

I totally agree- no one play wins or loses a game that lasts 4 quarters. That is NOT what I was trying to say at all. Only someone who does not know me would think that was what I was saying. The point I WAS making is that either team could have won the game. Both teams gave it their all. For every play that Decatur had that they did not score you can find fault somewhere. For giving up 14 points you could find fault. In truth, as long as the players and coaches did the best they could that night then there is nothing to be ashamed of at all. Give credit where credit is due- Wylie did what it took to win.

LALK
12-02-2004, 09:53 PM
lets stop talking about this game...wylie is playing football...decatOur is playing basketball...that is all that matters...we play royse city in football...you play...basketball

Mustang22
12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Dang guys the game is over and done with. Sitting aroudn saying the coulda woulda shoulda dosnt change it. It was a great game and really fun to watch. Now wylkie needs to be ready to play this week, while decatur needs to prepare for basketball or what ever sport is next for them. Great year Decatur, but good luck this week Wylie. :clap:

whatdoiknow?
12-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Like it or not...this is a game that will be talked about for a long time. I don't think anyone would deny that Decatur had the talent to win it all. Having the offense and defense in the same year is rare indeed. Even with talent, you still have to play the game. The Eagle coaches and fans will be kicking themselves for a long time on this one. The kids will feel the pain but will get over it. Because of their arrogance, the wounds to the coaches and fans will heal much more slowly. ( Chief Woodman is the exception to this. His posts for the last couple of years have been pure class.)
I am very sorry for the Decatur kids, but couldn't be happier with the outcome of the game. Maybe the Decaturites will finally understand that the world does not revolve around them and the Decatur coaches will finally learn the meaning of being humble.

VWG
12-03-2004, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing from some of the Decatur fans on their lopsided victories. I never thought about it, just from spanning the papers on Sat. morning. I was under the impression that Story and company were always playing the 2nd string late in the game in blowouts.
Was Story trying to pad Dane's stats for the record books?

Underwater Basketweaver
12-03-2004, 09:54 PM
It is hard to feel much sympathy for the Eagle coaches when they continually ran the score up each week. Before the Eagle backers start to scream that Dane didn't play after the first series of the second half, check the stats. In seven games this year, the eagles scored late in the 4th quarter to go up by 35 points or more with their starters still in the game. To kick a 20 yard field goal with about 1 minute left to beat Castleberry 45-0 is just wrong. For Godbolt to score a TD in the 3rd quarter to go up 70-0 against Ranchview is wrong. Dane to Christian in the 4th quarter to beat Lake Worth 63-0, also wrong.

Originally posted by VWG
I wouldn't mind hearing from some of the Decatur fans on their lopsided victories. I never thought about it, just from spanning the papers on Sat. morning. I was under the impression that Story and company were always playing the 2nd string late in the game in blowouts.
Those of you from Decatur know this is not true, those who aren't from Decatur, please please don't believe this crap!!!

Kyle Story is one of the classiest people and coaches I know, and when you start accusing him of lacking any part of that class, you will hear from me. The Decatur Eagles won some games by large margins, this is true, but just as many have discussed on this thread in particular, stats can only tell you so much. Just like the fact that Decatur dominated the stats in this game, yet lost the most important stat 14-13. Don't just read into the stats what you want to.

Point 1- Just because SOME of the starters are in the game in the fourth quarter with a good lead, doesn't mean you are running up the score. Sometimes you are checking their conditioning, or someone who is a backup has an injury. Sometimes you are playing one player with the starters to see how he might do with the first group. Finally, you have to get ready to play 4 quarters at some point during the season before you get to the playoffs, or everyone will be out of shape and unable to play an entire game.

Point 2 - The twenty yard field goal was to avoid scoring a touchdown with mostly SECOND stringers. THIRD string QB

Point 3 - Decatur was up 63-0 at halftime. The starters had already been out of the game in the second quarter. Story gave them ONE series in the third quarter so they could get a little more game speed work. Godboldt broke one, it wasn't like 4th and goal from the 1 foot line or anything.

Point 4 - The Lake Worth game did not get out of hand until the third quarter. It was also our last regular season game, and we were getting ready for the playoffs.

If you weren't at the game or know the coach, please don't ever accuse him, especially this one (and I am sure a lot of Decatur fans would agree) of not showing class and running up the score. He could have scored as many as he wanted on every team you discussed, but I promise you he called off the dogs when it was the right time. I think if you speak to most of our opponents coaches, they would agree for the most part.

Underwater Basketweaver
12-03-2004, 10:08 PM
One more note:

Every one of the Decatur Coaches are close personal friends of mine, and I take offense to anyone questioning their integrity. A few of you know me, and know this to be true. YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER COACHING STAFF IN THIS STATE OR THIS WORLD WITH MORE CLASS, INTEGRITY, AND LOVE FOR THIS GAME AND THOSE WHO PLAY IT. They constantly instill this in the kids, and they practice it, and lead as role models for all of these virtues.

HighSchool Fan
12-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Get over it folks. Decatur lost. They were just like Burnet last year. They thought that no one could beat them. Don't go tell me that the Decatur coaches have more class or that other stuff than any other team. Have you met any other coaching staffs? They are no different than 99% of all coaching staffs. It seems to me that some, not all, of the Decatur fans need to look at Burnet and learn to lose with class.

VWG
12-03-2004, 11:45 PM
In my opinion... If you're up 63-0, you're starters don't need any more "game speed" work.
I've had guys sit their starters late in the second qtr. when they had a 50 pt. lead, and the starters never went back in. Played the whole entire bench, and the kids loved it. Also ran the basic offense of run plays.

Kinda like stealin' second base when you're up by 8 or 10 runs... except in baseball the guy at the plate gets a fastball in the ribs.
There are unwritten rules to the game, and some people follow them and some people don't. Ask Mike Leach out in Lubbock.

DOGFAN
12-04-2004, 02:37 PM
If Decatur had pulled the starters every time the game was out of hand their starters would have had a ridiculously small amount of playing time for a season. Let's cut 'em some slack, this is a tough time for them as it is.

CRHSeagle
12-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Underwater Basketweaver
One more note:

YOU WILL NOT FIND ANOTHER COACHING STAFF IN THIS STATE OR THIS WORLD WITH MORE CLASS, INTEGRITY, AND LOVE FOR THIS GAME AND THOSE WHO PLAY IT.

That's an opinionnated statement...

TheDOCTORdre
12-04-2004, 05:14 PM
My thoughts on the Wylie/Decatur game, is it is over and is going on 2 weeks

LALK
12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Like it or not...this is a game that will be talked about for a long time. I don't think anyone would deny that Decatur had the talent to win it all. Having the offense and defense in the same year is rare indeed. Even with talent, you still have to play the game. The Eagle coaches and fans will be kicking themselves for a long time on this one. The kids will feel the pain but will get over it. Because of their arrogance, the wounds to the coaches and fans will heal much more slowly. ( Chief Woodman is the exception to this. His posts for the last couple of years have been pure class.)
I am very sorry for the Decatur kids, but couldn't be happier with the outcome of the game. Maybe the Decaturites will finally understand that the world does not revolve around them and the Decatur coaches will finally learn the meaning of being humble.

obviously they didn't have the talent to win it all...their not in anymore...they may have had 2 good players...but 2 players don't win state...11 on both sides of the ball do

whereugo
12-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Basketweavers postings sound like paid, political announcements - LOL

whatdoiknow?
12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Underwater Basketweaver........Your post above is the biggest crock I have read on here. The Lake Worth game was 49-0 at the half, 56-0 in the 3rd quarter, and you say it didn't get out of hand until the 4th? In the Castelberry game, did it ever dawn on anyone to take a knee? A touchdown by a 2nd or 3rd string guy is something that every coach and fan can respect but a 20 yard field goal by a starter is a slap in the face. There was another 20 yard field goal by Spence in the Little Elm game to make the score 62-23. What was the excuse there? Still don't want to take a kee? Like I stated before, a lesson in humility was in order here. Don't preach to me about virtues of the Decatur staff and then make the lame excuses for running up the score. You can't look at the season and convince me they were not chasing stats and records. I stand by my statement that Decatur had the talent to win state but as every fan of high school football knows, it's not always about the talent.

whereugo
12-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Hmmmmmm ... sounds like whatdoiknow is onto something ... he's been doing his homework ... and has facts ... not one of those "just because I said so posters". My, my, my ...

whatdoiknow?
12-07-2004, 02:13 PM
whereugo.......it's just that I take offense when someone presents something that is wrong and then not get called on it. The truth is, I could point to many, many coaching staffs that would never rub an opponents nose in the dirt. Without a doubt, I would much rather my son or daughter learn life's lessons from a coach that actually respects others. None of the Decatur Eagle fans have disputed any of my claims with facts. Very few have responded. That tells me the fans are as uncomfortable with their season as their opponents coaches must have been.

Roll'em up
12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
whereugo.......it's just that I take offense when someone presents something that is wrong and then not get called on it. The truth is, I could point to many, many coaching staffs that would never rub an opponents nose in the dirt. Without a doubt, I would much rather my son or daughter learn life's lessons from a coach that actually respects others. None of the Decatur Eagle fans have disputed any of my claims with facts. Very few have responded. That tells me the fans are as uncomfortable with their season as their opponents coaches must have been.

Go cry your sob story somewhere else. If you don't like getting whipped then learn to play defense. It really is that simple.

whereugo
12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Amen to whatdoinow!