PDA

View Full Version : An Analysis by scores!

PhiI C
11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Since most here are fooball fans I will try to come as close as I can to explain the thrill of soccer. Please bear in mind this is just my opinion and others may agree or disagree plus it is difficult to do this between sports. Plus there are exceptions but usually these will apply.
Now in soccer (in particular women's college soccer):

If you win by penalty kicks (no matter the win margin) that is like being ahead in football by one point and the other team misses a last second field goal.

If you win by one point that is like winning by a field goal. It doesn't matter if the game was in overtime or not.

The win by penalty kicks and one point are considered thrillers.

If you win by two points that is like winning by a touchdown (td) and a field goal (fg) which is ten points. Still probably a very good game. You get a field goal late in the fourth quarter to give you a comfortable lead with just over two minutes to play. Still a reasonable close game and enjoyable.

Now if you win by three points then you are getting more comfortable. Probably like a 17 to 0 win. You score a late fourth quarter td to put the game away. Still not a bad game.

If you win by four points even more so like about 21 to 0. You definitely had control of the game. It is starting to be one sided.

Five points would be 28 to 0.

Six or more points is a rout or blowout.

In women's college soccer they have had 60 in NCAA playoffs games so far this year. One game was won by penalty kicks and 28 games were won by one point. That means that almost half of the games (29) were considered thrillers. Not bad odds of seeing a thrilling game.

13 games were won by two points whichmeans that about 71% were good close games and enjoyable. Not bad odds.

9 games were won by three points which means that 86% would be in the range of not bad games.

Now two of the games were won by 4 points, 2 by 5 points, 3 by six points and one by ten points which means that 14% were completely one sided.

As you can see most of the games were thrillers or very respectable games. That is the beauty of soccer. So many close games and the best team doesn't always win.

PhiI C
11-30-2004, 11:07 PM
ttt

Phil C
12-01-2004, 09:19 AM
ttt

Phil C
12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
It is getting close to Friday! :)

Phil C
12-03-2004, 10:24 AM
ttt

PPHSfan
12-03-2004, 10:42 AM
So what you are saying is

The first point is worth 3, but the second point is worth 4, the third point is worth 7, but the fourth point is only worth 3 more, and the fifth point is worth 7 again.

No wonder I don't like this sport. It's too hard to keep score.

Phil C
12-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

The first point is worth 3, but the second point is worth 4, the third point is worth 7, but the fourth point is only worth 3 more, and the fifth point is worth 7 again.

Yes it is difficult to explain one sport in terms of another sport! :) I guess PPHS you will have to go to more soccer games to find out for yourself. Bring 66 along with you. :D

Keith7
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

here you go PPHSFan

Jan. 4 Lake Dallas
3:30

Jan. 6 at Denton High
7:00

Jan. 7 Alumni srimmage
1:00 pm

Jan. 13-15 at Sherman Tourney
TBA

Jan. 18 at Frisco
7:00 pm

Jan. 20-22 at TBA Tourney
TBA

Jan. 25 at Lake Dallas

Jan. 28 at McKinney

Feb. 1 WF High

Feb. 8 Burkburnett

Feb. 11 at Denison

Feb. 15 at WF Rider

Feb. 18 WF Hirschi

Feb. 22 at Sherman

Feb. 25 at WF High

Mar. 4 at Burkburnett

Mar. 8 Denison

Mar. 11 WF Rider

Mar. 15 at WF Hirschi

Mar. 18 Sherman

go to one of these games if you want to watch some Futbol!!!

All home games are played at Leeper Field in Gainesville