PDA

View Full Version : 30-3A basketball....

IHStangFan
11-29-2004, 12:59 PM
alright....some of you basketball loyalists bring me up to speed. who is the fav? who will be the darkhorse? i figure AP would be favored...as theyve had the dominating team the last few years if i remember correctly.

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Not sure if AP if favored or not, will have to do some homework since it is time to change gears.

Thus far they have beat Flour Bluff, Rockport, Port Lavaca, (not sure about Salado) and will play G-P in AP tomorrow night. From what I hear, we have a good team returning!:D

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey IHS...just checked the Caller-Times and it doesn't look like they are completely updated.

We did lose to Salado though.:(

Ingleside has beat Bishop, (don't know about Odem) and lost to Orange Grove. Looks like you guys will be playing West Oso tomorrow night in Ingleside at 7:30.

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 01:30 PM
It also looks like Sinton will be playing Calallen tomorrow night in Sinton.

I sure hope some of our Sinton posters come back soon! Life will get pretty boring without them on here posting frequently!;)

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Sinton is off to a great start.... 4-1 i believe... something like that... we have beat a QUALITY Port Aransas Team, and crushed Skidmore Tynan by at least 40 if i remember correctly... things will get interesting on the girls side of the ball where west oso isnt there to dominate the district anymore. . .

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
.. things will get interesting on the girls side of the ball where west oso isnt there to dominate the district anymore. . .

You are going to get Phil C. started...talking about his "howling bears" :D

Mathis is off to a rough start being 0-3 and I have no idea about Goliad. The Caller-Times doesn't seem to be getting their info in on the website!

pirate44
11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
It also looks like Sinton will be playing Calallen tomorrow night in Sinton.

I sure hope some of our Sinton posters come back soon! Life will get pretty boring without them on here posting frequently!;)
i want to get confirmation on the calallen game tomorrow night. i'd like to go. i wonder if the football players will play or even dress out. according to Phil C, prices for the games have doubled. oh well.:(

pirate44
11-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i want to get confirmation on the calallen game tomorrow night. i'd like to go. i wonder if the football players will play or even dress out. according to Phil C, prices for the games have doubled. oh well.:(
just looked on the Sinton I.S.D. website and the schedule shows sinton vs. calallen at home tomorrow night. anyone else going?

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
just looked on the Sinton I.S.D. website and the schedule shows sinton vs. calallen at home tomorrow night. anyone else going?

i have this pesky thing called work... but you never know

IHStangFan
11-29-2004, 02:41 PM
is Port-A still a quality team? i know for some years they were pretty much a powerhouse. and yes...w/ Oso being gone..should get interesting

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
is Port-A still a quality team? i know for some years they were pretty much a powerhouse. and yes...w/ Oso being gone..should get interesting

they still are a quality team, no matter what... all they play is basketball. and i believe they have a few starters and reservists back

Phil C
11-29-2004, 02:51 PM
You are going to get Phil C. started...talking about his "howling bears" :D

Mathis is off to a rough start being 0-3 and I have no idea about Goliad. The Caller-Times doesn't seem to be getting their info in on the website!

West Oso is still in the area though maybe not in the district. They play good football and baseball (last year) but basketball is their thing. Beware of the Howling Bear!!

IHStangFan
11-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
West Oso is still in the area though maybe not in the district. They play good football and baseball (last year) but basketball is their thing. Beware of the Howling Bear!! i'd have to agree Phil, Oso's thing IS bball.

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
West Oso is still in the area though maybe not in the district. They play good football and baseball (last year) but basketball is their thing. Beware of the Howling Bear!!

Looks like Aransas Pass split games with the West Oso Boys last year. We lost 45-48 and then beat them 57-43. Of course, West Oso went on to lose to State Champion Kountze last year in the semi-finals.

AP Boys or Girls do not have West Oso on their schedules this year. Our boys do however have a bunch of tough 4a and 5a schools prior to district starting.:D

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Looks like Aransas Pass split games with the West Oso Boys last year. We lost 45-48 and then beat them 57-43. Of course, West Oso went on to lose to State Champion Kountze last year in the semi-finals.

AP Boys or Girls do not have West Oso on their schedules this year. Our boys do however have a bunch of tough 4a and 5a schools prior to district starting.:D

thats shocking actually... considering they are #1 and #2 on a poll that i saw.... id figure theyd meet in a big game

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
thats shocking actually... considering they are #1 and #2 on a poll that i saw.... id figure theyd meet in a big game

Maybe it is intentional....don't know how the coaches think when it comes to big pre-season match-ups.

I checked one pre-season poll (Texas Hoops.Com) and they had Aransas Pass #7 and CC West Oso #9.

The T.A.B.C poll as of 11-22 had Aransas Pass #4 and CC West Oso #12.

These darn polls change so fast and so often, it is hard to keep up with.;)

IHStangFan
11-29-2004, 03:21 PM
yeah...AP has been up there every since the Tommy Blake and co. team went on their run. and Oso has ALWAYS been up there ....well...more times than not :)

pirate4state
11-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I loathe basketball! :hairpunk:

I'm waiting on baseball, softball and track. :D I'll check in from time to time. I'll be lurking. :)

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I loathe basketball! :hairpunk:

What am I going to do without you! I think you ought to just give it up and start going to the Sinton basketball games! :D

Hey and IHS, what is up with you changing your signature again? I can understand you taking off AP, Sinton and Cuero.....but wasn't there some sort of bet with Port Isabel that was for "eternity" or something?:D :D :D

pirate4state
11-29-2004, 03:51 PM
What am I going to do without you! I think you ought to just give it up and start going to the Sinton basketball games! :D :D Don't know. :thinking: I may make a special effort to go to the Sinton/AP games. :( Still plenty of time, I think. ?? I guess our boys teams have been pretty competitive?? I really have no CLUE!! :D :D

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:D Don't know. :thinking: I may make a special effort to go to the Sinton/AP games. :( Still plenty of time, I think. ?? I guess our boys teams have been pretty competitive?? I really have no CLUE!! :D :D

Well, here is a little re-cap for you. Sinton boys won 17 of 28 games during the season. They went 5-5 in district competition.

Some of their notable wins were against:
Rockport (66-58)
Cuero (56-39)
Aransas Pass (59-57) - this was one of only two district losses that AP suffered!

So...yes, I would say your guys are competitive.:D :D

IHStangFan
11-29-2004, 04:41 PM
What am I going to do without you! I think you ought to just give it up and start going to the Sinton basketball games! :D

Hey and IHS, what is up with you changing your signature again? I can understand you taking off AP, Sinton and Cuero.....but wasn't there some sort of bet with Port Isabel that was for "eternity" or something?:D :D :D nope...the deal was as long as P.I. was still in the hunt, i had to leave it there....they lost to Halletsville this past weekend....bet over.

Highschoolfan78
11-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Cuero begins their b-ball season tuesday i do believe although there are only about 3 varsity players mixed in with freshmen and jv players. They tip off with Three Rivers.

pirate44
11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
anyone from Sinton know how many football players are starters on the basketball team? im wondering if the team will improve much from their already good start.

District303aPastPlayer
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
anyone from Sinton know how many football players are starters on the basketball team? im wondering if the team will improve much from their already good start.

i can think of one or two off hand, but im not sure...

big daddy russ
11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Alright, StangFan, this is how I think it'll shake out...

1. AP
2. Sinton
3. Ingleside
4. Mathis
5. Goliad

District 30 has lost a lot this year. AP will be better than last year because they have about three juniors who have played since they were freshmen and because they're coached by Hayes. Hayes' youngest is one of those juniors... he's supposedly even better than his brother, the point guard on all of Tommy's teams. Sinton's well-coached and has athletes so they're always a contender. I honestly don't know much about the other three programs, except that Mathis and Ingleside are usually on par. Ingleside does have Zack Adams and the Calderon kid, though. Other than that we're probably a bunch of slow white boys. I also know that Ingleside's played and beat Goliad the last few years in tournaments, non-district, etc.

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

1. AP
2. Sinton
3. Ingleside
4. Mathis
5. Goliad

I can live with that!:D :D :D

SintonFan
11-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

1. AP
2. Sinton
3. Ingleside
4. Mathis
5. Goliad

District 30 has lost a lot this year. AP will be better than last year because they have about three juniors who have played since they were freshmen and because they're coached by Hayes. Hayes' youngest is one of those juniors... he's supposedly even better than his brother, the point guard on all of Tommy's teams. Sinton's well-coached and has athletes so they're always a contender. I honestly don't know much about the other three programs, except that Mathis and Ingleside are usually on par. Ingleside does have Zack Adams and the Calderon kid, though. Other than that we're probably a bunch of slow white boys. I also know that Ingleside's played and beat Goliad the last few years in tournaments, non-district, etc.
Looks like a fair and reasonable assessment.

AP Panther Fan
11-29-2004, 08:44 PM
You know, I think I am single-handedly going to have to go out and recruit some more Aransas Pass posters.

It's no fun being the only one!:(

Highschoolfan78
11-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Goliad has some good players. I think you have them too low considering that they made playoffs in our district last year and did not lose many starters.

big daddy russ
11-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Goliad has some good players. I think you have them too low considering that they made playoffs in our district last year and did not lose many starters. Well, dang, pencil them in at third place. I could live with that.

SintonFan
11-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Didn't all of those teams lose in the first round last year?:D

Hawk Fan Izzy
11-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Aransas Pass has a good team. We played them last year in the 3rd round, and we almost had them!

Buccaneer
11-30-2004, 06:13 AM
There were 6 kids on the football team that could start on the Sinton Basketball team. One has decided not to play basketball! They should all be dressed out for the Calallen game but I would not expect them to start. They should get to play as this game may get out of hand quickly! Sinton is 2-0 but have beat 2 below average 2A teams. Their next game will be Thursday 4pm against Austin St. Michaels in the GP tournament.

pirate44
11-30-2004, 07:13 AM
I dont know about you guys, but i'm going to the game tonight. im excited about seeing some basketball. :D

AP Panther Fan
11-30-2004, 09:42 AM
I dont know about you guys, but i'm going to the game tonight. im excited about seeing some basketball. :D

'44, I will be going to the AP/GP game as well. Thought we could compare notes, but it doesn't look like Sinton has Gregory Portland on their schedule nor does Aransas Pass have Calallen on theirs.

Looking forward to tonight also!:D

Buccaneer
11-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Sinton will be playing in GP's tournament this week if not cancelled because of their football game! And GP will be playing in the Sinton Tournament right after Christmas! I believe AP has their Best of the Bay Tournament this weekend! Sinton plays AP there Jan 18 and here Feb 4. We might have a chance to upset you here if we can get the same clock operator from last year's game!

AP Panther Fan
11-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Sinton will be playing in GP's tournament this week if not cancelled because of their football game! And GP will be playing in the Sinton Tournament right after Christmas! I believe AP has their Best of the Bay Tournament this weekend! Sinton plays AP there Jan 18 and here Feb 4. We might have a chance to upset you here if we can get the same clock operator from last year's game!

Oh....I can't see the tournament teams for you guys on the schedules I am looking at.

Aransas Pass does have our Best of the Bay tournament this weekend and it shows teams from Elgin, Orange Grove, Rockport, Refugio and McMullen County.

I wasn't at last year's game between Sinton and AP. I guess you are talking about the 2 point upset. Did the timekeeper have issues?:D

AP Panther Fan
11-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Found this in the Victoria Advocate. Since we can't get Goliad info from the Caller Times, we may need to frequent the Advocate site.

Goliad Tigers
* Roster
Date Opponent H/A Time/Summary W/L/T
Nov. 16 Moulton Away Summary W
Nov. 19 Houston Second Baptist Home Summary L
Nov. 23 Three Rivers Away 7:00:00 PM
Nov. 30 Karnes City Home 7:30:00 PM
Dec. 7 George West Away 6:30:00 PM
Dec. 14 Kenedy Away 7:30:00 PM
Dec. 21 Yorktown Away 7:30:00 PM
Dec. 28 Yoakum Home 12:30:00 PM
Dec. 30 Goliad Alumni Home 7:00:00 PM
Jan. 4 Industrial Away 7:30:00 PM
Jan. 8 Yoakum Home 5:00:00 PM
Jan. 11 Cuero Away 7:30:00 PM
Jan. 14 Sinton * Away 7:30:00 PM
Jan. 21 Aransas Pass * Home 7:30:00 PM
Jan. 25 Mathis * Away 7:30:00 PM
Jan. 28 Ingleside * Home 7:30:00 PM
Feb. 1 Sinton * Home 7:30:00 PM
Feb. 8 Aransas Pass * Away 7:30:00 PM
Feb. 11 Mathis * Home 7:30:00 PM
Feb. 15 Ingleside * Away 7:30:00 PM

Buccaneer
11-30-2004, 10:46 AM

I wasn't at last year's game between Sinton and AP. I guess you are talking about the 2 point upset. Did the timekeeper have issues?:D

He conveniently, with the score tied, did not start the clock when Sinton brought the ball in drove the length of the court and shot a buzzer beater for the win! He started the clock when Sinton got to midcourt and Coach Hayes yelled at him! In all honesty I think he just forgot to start it and did not do it on purpose!

pirate44
11-30-2004, 10:47 AM
i heard that Calallen has a 6'-9" jr. who's pretty good. I also heard that none of the football players are on the basketball team, so they should be in pretty good form by now. Other than that, i'll have to watch the game to find out how either team is looking.

pirate44
11-30-2004, 10:50 AM
i found this on the sinton website. i noticed how the sinton calallen game is shown to start at 8:00. i wonder if that is accurate.

Sinton Pirates
2004-2005
Basketball Schedule

Date Opponent Place Times
Nov. 6 Scrimmage Beeville 10:00
Nov. 13 Scrimmage Here 10:30
Nov. 22 Port Aransas Here 6:00,7:30
Nov. 23 Skidmore-Tynan Here 6:00,7:30
Nov. 30 Calallen Here 5:00,6:30,8:00
Dec. 2-4 GP Tourney There TBD
Dec. 2-4 JV/Fr Tourney Rockport TBD
Dec. 7 Yorktown There 6:00, 7:30
Dec. 9-11 CC Tourney There TBD
Dec. 14 Rockport-Fulton Here 5:00,6:30, 8:00
Dec. 17 Agua Dulce Here 6:00,7:30
Dec. 20 Robstown Here 5:00,6:30,8:00
Dec. 27-29 Sinton Tourney Here TBD
Jan. 4 Agua Dulce There 6:00,7:30
Jan. 7 Yorktown Here 6:00,7:30
Jan. 11 Port Aransas There 6:00, 7:30
Jan. 14 Goliad Here 5:30,6:30,8:00
Jan. 18 Aransas Pass There 5:30,6:30,8:00
Jan. 21 Mathis Here 5:30,6:30,8:00
Jan. 25 Ingleside There 5:30,6:30,8:00
Jan. 28 Falfurrias Here 5:30,6:30,8:00
Feb. 1 Goliad There 5:30,6:30,8:00
Feb. 4 Aransas Pass Here 5:30,6:30,8:00
Feb. 8 Mathis There 5:30,6:30,8:00
Feb. 11 Ingleside Here 5:30,6:30,8:00
Feb. 15 Odem There 5:00,6:30,8:00

Buccaneer
11-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Goliad's schedule looks very week until Yoakum game! I believe all are 2A schools except Moulton which may be 1A but could be compared to Hickory from "Hoosiers" a real basketball hotbed at one time! My philosophy is you need to play a tough schedule if you want to improve!

District303aPastPlayer
11-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Dont forget the Annual Wendy's Pride of Texas is this weekend as well... ( i think wendy's is sponsoring it... but it may be whataburger)

AP Panther Fan
11-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
He conveniently, with the score tied, did not start the clock when Sinton brought the ball in drove the length of the court and shot a buzzer beater for the win! He started the clock when Sinton got to midcourt and Coach Hayes yelled at him! In all honesty I think he just forgot to start it and did not do it on purpose!

Hmmm....if he were an AP scorekeeper, that would have probably have been his last game.:D

Oh well, those things happen.;)