PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of the West?

vet93
11-28-2004, 11:42 PM
This year teams out west have really done well in Region 1. West Texas has been the whipping boy of the region for the past 25 years. Dwindling enrollments, decreased oil and agriculture revenue have taken their toll. However....this year the only teams left in region 1 are all located from Abilene west. Any answers as to why? My Opinion: All three schools are high enrollment schools which I think are essential for west texas schools to be successful. Back east....speed, the great equalizer, can be a factor even with smaller enrollments but out west...I think that you have to have the numbers to be able to compete well throughout the playoffs. Thoughts????

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-28-2004, 11:50 PM
I agree. What I have seen out of both Sweetwater and Snyder is a very well executed ground game. Passing teams run into wind, rain, etc. Ball control, combined with good execution is hard to beat. Both of those teams seem to be able to pass when needed and that is about the only time they do. Wylie looked more balanced. What impressed me most out of that team is the size of the line great for a move em on down the field game.

vet93
11-29-2004, 10:04 AM
I believe to be a consistent playoff contender....year in and year out.....Out west in 3a, you have to have an enrollment of 600+. With enrollments less than 600 you will see some inconsistency...even with good programs. Z, I agree that the power running game is going to be successful out west because of the reasons you mentioned.

3afan
11-29-2004, 11:15 AM
its the odds ... there are bound to be some really good, state contender teams come out of West Texas every once in a while !!! Same for other parts of the state that are traditionally (supposedly) football inferior .... IMO of course

vet93
11-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I really think that there is more to it than that. One team has been consisently good from the west over the past 5 years on a statewide level.....that team is Abilene Wylie. During that time they have consistently hovered at the top of the enrollment for 3a. Sweetwater and Snyder are both recent drop down teams and they have been fairly successful. Obviously all of these teams have to have excellent coaching, fan support etc....but I think that it will be very difficult to see a power team from the west that has an enrollment of 400 to 500...just my opinion.

Originally posted by 3afan
its the odds ... there are bound to be some really good, state contender teams come out of West Texas every once in a while !!! Same for other parts of the state that are traditionally (supposedly) football inferior .... IMO of course

mustang04
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I really think that there is more to it than that. One team has been consisently good from the west over the past 5 years on a statewide level.....that team is Abilene Wylie. During that time they have consistently hovered at the top of the enrollment for 3a. Sweetwater and Snyder are both recent drop down teams and they have been fairly successful. Obviously all of these teams have to have excellent coaching, fan support etc....but I think that it will be very difficult to see a power team from the west that has an enrollment of 400 to 500...just my opinion.

cept Greenwood when they had Dawson Wilbur and Jeremy Audas....they were really good

mustang04
11-29-2004, 11:37 AM

hey Vet.....sweetwater will def. be one...cuz all the sophmores and juniors this year, then theres that group of 8th graders we have that are supposed to be AWESOME as well, so when this years sophmores are seniors, those 8th graders will be sophmores....i see Sweetwater making alot of noise the next 4-5 years...and even the years afterwards.....ill look up the playoff appearances and all that good stuff and let ya see sometime

3afan
11-29-2004, 03:15 PM
yeah of course the higher enrollment schools have the greater chance at success .........

Stangster
11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yeah of course the higher enrollment schools have the greater chance at success .........
The odds are definitely in their favor, but lady luck can always play that wild card!

Buckeye80
11-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Back east....speed, the great equalizer, can be a factor even with smaller enrollments

I guess that's why Tatum is still alive even though they only have like 60 kids in the whole school. JK:D :D :D

VWG
11-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Enrollment definitely plays a huge factor. Look at the usual suspects who have consistently made the playoffs the last 6 or 7 years. Abilene Wylie, Canyon (once 4A), Sweetwater (once 4A), Vernon, etc....
The talent in Region I is there, but it's a whole different ballgame than in other Regions of the state. How many teams do you see lining up in the old wing T, split veer, that Sweetwater "flexbone" or whatever they call it. You will also continue to see more schools "drop down" due to the declining population of West Texas. Even in Lubbock and Abilene the 5A schools are getting close to 4A levels. At last count, I think Abilene Cooper was only 200 to 300 students away from the 4A cutoff of 1900 students.
I have said it before that it would be a monster district if Cooper was to drop down to 4A and have Brownwood, Abilene Cooper, Stephenville, and Aledo all in one district.
Anyway, yeah I think that enrollment plays a big factor.

jmcgee
11-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Back east....speed, the great equalizer, can be a factor even with smaller enrollments
Only problem is that Sweetwater has as much speed as East Texas teams.

vet93
11-30-2004, 09:58 AM
While I agree that Sweetwater has a great deal of speed for West Texas Standards....I am not sure if they would match up on speed alone with some of the east texas speed teams...Having said that....speed is not everything, only one important part of the overall picture. I was a big fan of sweetwater even at the beginning of the season. Even some of the Sweetwater fans in August questioned why I touted them so highly. I am glad to see them having such a good season.

Originally posted by jmcgee
Only problem is that Sweetwater has as much speed as East Texas teams.

Stangster
11-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Time will tell. Go Mustangs!

zooleander
11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
While I agree that Sweetwater has a great deal of speed for West Texas Standards....I am not sure if they would match up on speed alone with some of the east texas speed teams...Having said that....speed is not everything, only one important part of the overall picture. I was a big fan of sweetwater even at the beginning of the season. Even some of the Sweetwater fans in August questioned why I touted them so highly. I am glad to see them having such a good season.

well vet93, i see ur point, but the past couple of years at the state track meet, sweetwater is a name known well on alot of the relays, they especially will be this year, east texas knows about sweetwater

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-30-2004, 12:48 PM
The past two year Atlanta has won the relays. Atlanta as in East Texas.

I did see the Sweetwater relay team at regionals last year and I also saw Thompson tear it up too. Graham had an awesome relay team until they ran into Atlanta.

I have a freshman daughter that I hope can make regionals this first year. If so I will be there in Odessa with bells on!

mustang04
11-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
The past two year Atlanta has won the relays. Atlanta as in East Texas.

I did see the Sweetwater relay team at regionals last year and I also saw Thompson tear it up too. Graham had an awesome relay team until they ran into Atlanta.

I have a freshman daughter that I hope can make regionals this first year. If so I will be there in Odessa with bells on!

but who got second under atlanta????:D cant remember which relay it was

mustang04
11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by zooleander
well vet93, i see ur point, but the past couple of years at the state track meet, sweetwater is a name known well on alot of the relays, they especially will be this year, east texas knows about sweetwater

WOW...i thought u were against Sweetwater:eek: