PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to the Decatur seniors

Chief Woodman
11-28-2004, 05:43 PM
I know how hurt you are right now. Some teams only go to the playoffs just being glad to be there. Some go just wanting to make a respectible showing for themselves. Fewer enter with only one goal like you did- a State championship. Altough you will not find much comfort in this right now there is a fact that you should be aware of. In truth, every team in Division 1 will feel the same pain you do now except one (The State Champs). Every team but one will lose and share in your pain. I thought about that watching Gainesville's players and coaches leave the field just one week earlier. Life will hold more disappointments for you in the future, but may they be few and far in between.

Do not spend much time dwelling on what might have been. As long as you know you gave your best effort, then what took place was meant to be. The only way you should say that what occured was wrong would be if you did not give your best, even if your best at the time was not a perfect performance. Also give credit to your opponents who played with their best effort. This is what competition is all about. You will compete many times in the future in many different ways, although it will not always be on the football field. Let you memory spark you to always give your best so that your regrets will be fewer.

As time goes by you will find that the sting of the loss will lessen some, but not entirely go away. Eventually you will find that you are thinking about all the good things and good times you had playing ball. After all a 34-4 record in three years can only be matched by a few. To have played at the level you did and to have been part of a team that helped re-write State records is something to be proud of. May you future successes in life be many and frequent.

Last, let me tell you that it was a tremendous privilege watching you play. It was as much or more fun for us in the stands and on the sidelines as it was for you on the field. You will understand this one day when it is your children who are participating in events while they grow up. I have watched and played this game many times, and few teams on ANY level have been as much fun to see on the field as you were. In fact, the last 3 years of the Eagles are teams that I will always measure future teams against. It has also been my honor to have many of you as guests in my home from time to time, and I do consider you as my friends. Sadly, it is now time for you to pass the torch to the next group of young men. So thank you- each and every one of you- for these fond memories.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Well said Chief.

slpybear the bullfan
11-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Great post Chief. They will talk about this group of kids in Decatur for a long, long time.

Ranger05
11-28-2004, 11:15 PM
well said, some kids only dream of what decatur has done that last 3 years

olddawggreen
11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Congratulations to the Eagles on a great run. Im sure we will hear much more about the Decatur football program in years to come. Good luck in the furture!

LHMom
11-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Chief - I don't know your boys from Decatur - but I get the sense it's much like we feel about LH. The kids have no idea how much they have added to our lives.

Congrats on a great season.

Chris Hart
11-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Chief, that definitely is a great group of seniors you guys are losing. I know exactly how you feel about watching them go. We lost a group similar last year. They were very fun to watch, with all the passing and formations, not to mention the win/loss record. It was fun this year though too, even in a rebuilding type year, the new guys did great. If I remember correctly, I read about some really good sub-varsity teams from Decatur. If that's the case, I expect yall will reload and make another run next year. Congrats on another fine season!:)